• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Just bought this Les Paul on Sweetwater. My first Les Paul?

What do you guys think of the burst on this? Is that streak on the tone knob normal?

Nice!

I don't see any streaks. That pic also doesn't have any tone knobs ;).

Burst is pretty; I like less brown on the outside, but much prefer this to cherry/clown burst.

I got sniped on eBay today for a Mesa Boogie amp. Boo.

JABEE

Nice!

I don't see any streaks. That pic also doesn't have any tone knobs ;).

Burst is pretty; I like less brown on the outside, but much prefer this to cherry/clown burst.

I got sniped on eBay today for a Mesa Boogie amp. Boo.

Damn. haha.

I'm really excited to finally own a Les Paul. Can't wait for it to arrive.

If you're talking about the bit near the top left tone knob that just looks like the wood grain pattern. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would most certainly want to play and hold the guitar before buying it though. You're shelling out a lot of money for that, and Gibson is not consistent when it comes to quality. At least, that's been my experience.

For that money you could buy a used Hamer Monaco Elite or something.

856042-1.jpg

Yasawas

Got the Compton titanium chambered bridge on there a few weeks ago.

It's a definite improvement on the roller bridge I had on it. The titanium brings out some very strange, chimey frequencies out of the strings which makes the guitar sound deliciously clangy with the pickup behind the bridge picking out all the harmonics too. It also made my guitar so resonant, it made some loose screws rattle at first. Such an awesome little bridge.

I decided against getting the P-Bass cover on the bridge, there's a limit to these kinds of things. I might get swap out the Fender '62 pickups for the new '65 pickups which are coming out soon, but that's for the future. For now, it's pretty much perfect.

I'm going to install a Staytrem on mine I think. Did you need to remove the bridge thimbles on yours and if so is there a ground wire in there I need to watch for? It seems different models of Jazzmaster have different ways of doing this.

Sobriquet

I'm going to install a Staytrem on mine I think. Did you need to remove the bridge thimbles on yours and if so is there a ground wire in there I need to watch for? It seems different models of Jazzmaster have different ways of doing this.

Do you have a Mascis (or any Jazzmaster with a tune-o-matic)? I think you would have to pull the thimbles, plug, and re-drill. Check out offsetguitars.com if you haven't already; I believe there's a thread on Mascis mods. Same thing would apply if you have a Classic Player.

Yasawas

It's a Mascis, yeah. The Staytrem is almost a drop-in replacement and from the instructions on their site it seems I just need to swap the bridge thimbles out to make it fit which is fine but that appears to be a grounding point on some Jazzmasters and they don't address that. I assume from it that I don't need to solder anything to the new thimble but I can't really visualise it.

EVOL 100%

In my case, it was a direct replacement. I'm not sure about the ground wire, sorry. I looked around and didn't see anything that indicated that you needed to though. If there was I'm sure people would have complained about it

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79527

Yasawas

I couldn't see it either so I'll probably be alright, just needed to know if I should buy a soldering iron with the other bits and pieces as I've misplaced my old one.

On an unrelated note I discovered yesterday that there's an accepted way of holding a pick which I've somehow missed and had never previously been corrected on in the 18+ years I've been playing. Genuinely amazed. I'm going to try and adopt it for a month to see if I can find any tangible benefit to it.

EVOL 100%

Soldering irons are pretty handy to have anyway, a cheap $10ish one would do the trick too.

Good thinking on replacing the bridge btw, the adjust-o-matic on it just doesn't work as well as anything

I have a 2013 MIM HSS strat I want to sell. I've tried craigslist and putting it on facebook for $400 but I've gotten no interest. I'm including a $100 roadrunner hard case. Should I lower the price to $300? Or try ebay or something else? Any advice would be appreciated. I'd prefer to not sell for less than $300 so taking it to a local shop or guitarcenter to sell is something I don't want to do.

I have a 2013 MIM HSS strat I want to sell. I've tried craigslist and putting it on facebook for $400 but I've gotten no interest. I'm including a $100 roadrunner hard case. Should I lower the price to $300? Or try ebay or something else? Any advice would be appreciated. I'd prefer to not sell for less than $300 so taking it to a local shop or guitarcenter to sell is something I don't want to do.

eBay will get you a lot closer to market value; I prefer taking a hit to sell for cash locally. Search completed auctions to see what they're selling for.

I sold my strat and bought the Epi ES-339 I was talking about earlier from GC. The thing has insane buzz on the E, A, and D strings between the 1st and 7th frets. I already took it back in to have them fix the loose tone knobs and then one of the knobs just fell off tonight. I'm just getting my money back and going to a quality local store and getting something different. Maybe a new strat with two humbuckers, I'm not really sure. I'm really disappointed in the ES-339 though.

won an auction for an mij pawnshop mustang special + hardshell case for 520 (auction photo not mine)

$_57.JPG

these are now mim and go for 800 new so this is a pretty good bargain, almost too good; praying the neck isn't warped or something

Finally caved and got a new guitar to add to my growing collection.
A Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR Sustainiac
hellraiser-c-1-fr-s-bch-tilt.png

Damn, what a beast! Best buy yet. Yeah, it's got abalone but it's so well made and feels great. The neck shape is just right. All mahogany (lighter than my Burny Sustainer Chinese LP), set neck, rosewood fretboard. Excellent Floyd Rose (perfectly stable unlike some I've tried). Nice arched body with a quilted maple top. And the Sustainiac is so much fun. I've used an E-bow (which is still useful in some ways) and an earlier sustainer but this one is so dynamic with three settings. Absolutely thrilled with it.
Now I just need to get a case!

UGR1eHR.jpg

I got this for $631 on Ebay and its pretty much brand new looking. Came with a case and everything.

Impressions: this thing gets loud!!!! I am in love with it and u can definetely play gigs unmiced with it. Currently using a shitty line 6 cab tho :(. I dont think thats gonna change for a while ha

Never seen an Iron Label 7 string in that colour in any shop I've visited. Maybe online?
It was just announced at Summer NAMM, I think.

Anyway, at 1090€ for a guitar made in Indonesia it doesn't seem like a good deal, after all.

However, I know a guy who's selling his RGT 3020 QM (6-string, Prestige/made in Japan) for €850 and I'm on my way to buying it! I've just bought it!

Edit: Pictures taken by the current former owner:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't be the only one who gets annoyed when I look on YouTube for a guitar or amp demo and the video is always some dude who sounds normal enough, but then he starts playing and its some super samey-sounding death metal speed riffing chugga-chugga stuff and that's all they play.

EVOL 100%

I can't be the only one who gets annoyed when I look on YouTube for a guitar or amp demo and the video is always some dude who sounds normal enough, but then he starts playing and its some super samey-sounding death metal speed riffing chugga-chugga stuff and that's all they play.
Blues riffs are even worse. Just play some goddamn chords and single notes and let them ring without effects so I can actually hear the characteristics of the guitar

The 'practical applications' should be shown after that

It was just announced at Summer NAMM, I think.

Anyway, at 1090€ for a guitar made in Indonesia it doesn't seem like a good deal, after all.

However, I know a guy who's selling his RGT 3020 QM (6-string, Prestige/made in Japan) for €850 and I'm on my way to buying it! I've just bought it!

Edit: Pictures taken by the current former owner:
Ooh, blue. Nice. That's a 10 yr old guitar but it looks in real good condition. Neck-thru construction too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I picked up a Jet City 2212C (the combo version of the JCA22H) for 400 shipped, brand new. Seems like a decent deal.

Angry Grimace

Last Tokai I bought was around 1100 bucks. Ebony fretboard and MOP inlays and all.

Jet City are great. Hovercraft base their refurbs on them.

I should have an Orange within the next week or so.

The pricing structure is why guitar production moved out of Japan, though. The factory where the Charvels and Japanese Jacksons were made wasn't making any money so they shut it down and moved production to Mexico with identical prices.

Allegedly, the the people assembling and QC'ing guitars at the Japanese Chushin Gakki factory were all trained luthiers and the people assembling the guitars at the Mexican factory (and really, at Fender's assembly plant in Corona) are just unskilled laborers. From playing them, I don't consider Japanese made guitars to be any worse quality-wise than US made guitars. If I ever get around to buying another guitar, I'm going to get a Les Paul clone out of Japan if I can.

The pricing structure is why guitar production moved out of Japan, though. The factory where the Charvels and Japanese Jacksons were made wasn't making any money so they shut it down and moved production to Mexico with identical prices.

Allegedly, the the people assembling and QC'ing guitars at the Japanese Chushin Gakki factory were all trained luthiers and the people assembling the guitars at the Mexican factory (and really, at Fender's assembly plant in Corona) are just unskilled laborers. From playing them, I don't consider Japanese made guitars to be any worse quality-wise than US made guitars. If I ever get around to buying another guitar, I'm going to get a Les Paul clone out of Japan if I can.

There are still Japanese Charvel and Jackson guitars, and there are still Japanese Fenders. Fender Japan at the moment tends to be the go to shop for non standard Fender like instruments. Like semi hollow Jazzmasters, Strats with binding.

Japan makes fantastic guitars. I would definitely recommend a Tokai, Bacchus, or Greco and have owned several myself. Am currently selling a Tokai Gold Top with P90s.

Sobriquet

Blues riffs are even worse. Just play some goddamn chords and single notes and let them ring without effects so I can actually hear the characteristics of the guitar

The 'practical applications' should be shown after that

Fucking this. Blues-fusion is the worst. And Pink Floyd. Always Pink Floyd.

2002-2004_Fender_Custom_Telecaser_'62-reissue_Q029388.jpg

My Fender Telecaster 1969 Reissue in sunburst.

(not my actual one, but yeah I have that.)

It's so great.

Awesome. Custom Shop?

Fender Japan at the moment tends to be the go to shop for non standard Fender like instruments. Like semi hollow Jazzmasters, Strats with binding.

Fender Japan is just an office that contracts building out to other factories (it was Tokai for several years in the '00s and Fuji Gen before that; no idea who it is now). Fender corporate but the kibosh on export a few years ago, so that the effect is that we in the west only get the oddballs that they choose to make products over here.

Can still get used ones from Ishibashi or eBay or Japanese-language sites if you are so inclined.

Love my Tokai-made Strat from 2005, and Ishibashi's customer service was amazing (the first guitar was lost in the mail and they sent another before it was resolved with the postal services involved).

Fender Japan is just an office that contracts building out to other factories (it was Tokai for several years in the '00s and Fuji Gen before that; no idea who it is now). Fender corporate but the kibosh on export a few years ago, so that the effect is that we in the west only get the oddballs that they choose to make products over here.

Yeah, I was aware. Though some places are still able to stock Fender Japan. I would really like to get my hands on a semi hollow Jazzmaster but they're way more pricey than the Jaguar that they let distro's import last year.

obnoxious how japanese jazzmasters are more noticeably more expensive than japanese jags on ebay

seems like the popularity of the jazzy is finally coming to head, i predict the strat will come back strong in 5-10 years

EVOL 100%

obnoxious how japanese jazzmasters are more noticeably more expensive than japanese jags on ebay

seems like the popularity of the jazzy is finally coming to head, i predict the strat will come back strong in 5-10 years

Prices of the Japanese JMs should go down now that the new vintage correct Classic Player Jazzmasters are coming out

Sobriquet

Strats are the new Jazzmaster.

BTW, Classic series and Road Worn Jazzmasters and Jaguars are coming out this fall. Correct tremolo placement and bridge.

Jindrax

So I was thinking about picking a Martine LX1E or LXM.
Why? it's small and mobile.
I like to mess around with my guitar during other activities, like waiting for the dungeon to happen in GW2 or between games in CS:GO.
It would also avoid the nonsene I had to go through with Eurostar.
(I think it's smaller than 85cm long right?)
I currently have a 160€ Robinson Guitar, nothing fancy a all, I do like it though.
It's just a bit big and bulky, and because of the size it has so much bass in the sound.
It sounds so deep.

But then I think to myself, for my level of skill, do I really need a 450€ guitar?

Does anyone here have a LX1E or LXM?
What do you guys think?
Maybe you could recommend me something else?
What say you Gaffers!?

Sobriquet

So I was thinking about picking a Martine LX1E or LXM.
Why? it's small and mobile.
I like to mess around with my guitar during other activities, like waiting for the dungeon to happen in GW2 or between games in CS:GO.
It would also avoid the nonsene I had to go through with Eurostar.
(I think it's smaller than 85cm long right?)
I currently have a 160€ Robinson Guitar, nothing fancy a all, I do like it though.
It's just a bit big and bulky, and because of the size it has so much bass in the sound.
It sounds so deep.

But then I think to myself, for my level of skill, do I really need a 450€ guitar?

What do you guys think?
What say you Gaffers!?

It's nice to have a small couch guitar. A Little Martin would be great, but I would also take a look at some parlor guitars.

What do you guys think?
What say you Gaffers!?

I love small guitars! While I've never tried that model, I've not been too impressed with the cheap Martins that I've played— they all feel too cheap and plastic-y. Listening to this on a well-recorded YT clip and I don't think it sounds nice at all.

Is there a guitar shop where you can try some guitars out?

So I bought a Epiphone Les Paul Prophect GX a few months ago, can't remember if I posted about it or not, but it had Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups which I didn't really know anything about. They sound way to muddy with both pickups or just the neck being played, and the bridge is too treble-y, so I'm thinking about getting the Slash Alnico 2 Pros by SD, I've heard some sweet demos and I think they would fit my style and preferred sound more. Anyone have any experience with them?

Top Bottom