• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Medalion

Banned
2647006409_28cb5c7e72.jpg

I have this guitar, but it is not my current guitar I use, nor is it my photo. It is a Union Jack Supernova made by Epiphone, it is the signature guitar of Noel Gallagher from Oasis, they no longer make these, the line was discontinued sometime in late 2006 I believe.

mg30dfx.JPG

My amp, Marshall MG30DFX

DSC02491.jpg

My current guitar I use, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Alphine White.

ant1532

Banned
I've been learning how to play for a while, but I have a question...

How long did it take you guys to get your chord changes perrfect!??

Im just getting into barre chords right now but my chord changes are still slugish somewhat as im still adapting to air changes but I was just wondering how long it took you guys to get them perfect?

Formless

Depends on how much you practice of course. Just switch from two close chords at the beginning, then move onto 3, 4, etc

ant1532

Banned
Formless said:
Depends on how much you practice of course. Just switch from two close chords at the beginning, then move onto 3, 4, etc
yeah i practice a pretty damn good amount but when i play songs its hard to keep the rythem with changing the chords perfectly for exxample like C to B7. merrr. i guess it will just take more practiceeee

Red Blaster said:
Didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Anyone here know of a hollowbody electric that sounds particularly good unplugged?

Old jazz archtops. Hollow body electrics aren't meant to be played unplugged. They should still sound GOOD unplugged. If they don't sound good unplugged they probably won't sound good amplified. Still... if you want an acoustic get an acoustic.

For your viewing pleasure. My collection consolidated to one post:

guitaramp.jpg
- Grosh Retro Classic

family2.jpg
- Reverend Warhawk II HB, Jetstream 390, Yamaha FGX04LTD

OM18.jpg
- Martin OM18 Circa 1933. Certifiably PRE WAR. :3

2illz01.jpg
- Soloway Swan (My favorite of all. Indescribably good.)
j7unps.jpg
- Heritage H150-CM Ultra

2mi2jj8.jpg
- Rickenbacker 360

6oz86v.jpg
- Fender Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster

255p5oj.jpg
- Gibson SG '61 RI

Fusebox

Banned
Awesome snaps ducky, sweet gear too.

A couple of snaps of my new John 5 Squier Tele and one with the whole family...

4076893173_f1a97de31c_o.jpg

4076893169_1f1ec63b6e_o.jpg

4076893171_06b88ca4ba_o.jpg

Guitar rack from front is Ibanez S320 w EMG 81/60, Ibanez Prestige RG3120, MIJ 57 reissue Fender Strat, Peavey Grind bass and a Gibson Flying V up against the amp.

Gaf tell me wtf is going on with my guitar! The picture shows what happened after I was done tuning the guitar with the strings I bought the other day. Granted, they're way thicker strings than what I usually get (bought Ernie Ball "Not even slinky" strings) and my guitar is a shitty Squier, but still this should not be happening... So what do I do?

(Don't tell me to buy a new guitar. I suck so I don't need to spend money on a better one.)

IMG_0941.jpg

OxtheMidget said:
Gaf tell me wtf is going on with my guitar! The picture shows what happened after I was done tuning the guitar with the strings I bought the other day. Granted, they're way thicker strings than what I usually get (bought Ernie Ball "Not even slinky" strings) and my guitar is a shitty Squier, but still this should not be happening... So what do I do?

(Don't tell me to buy a new guitar. I suck so I don't need to spend money on a better one.)

Underneath your guitar is a plate...unscrew it and you will see 3 tension strings. there should be a way to tighten them to balance out the tension due to the heavier strings that you got...loosen your strings first and then adjust the tremolo tension

ok, back to GEAR discussion, I just ordered the EHX Cathedral Reverb, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGr4EV2nPXM

even my drool has reverb on it

Thanks for the help, but even after tightening the spring in the back the bridge still comes up once the strings are tuned. I guess I'll just have to go out and buy some thinner strings.

Is there a reason why you wanted heavier strings? did the clerk sell you strings for a baritone guitar? are you doing a standard guitar tuning or are you tuning up?

whitehawk

Banned
Fusebox said:
Awesome snaps ducky, sweet gear too.

A couple of snaps of my new John 5 Squier Tele and one with the whole family...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/4076893173_f1a97de31c_o.jpg[img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2782/4076893169_1f1ec63b6e_o.jpg[img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/4076893171_06b88ca4ba_o.jpg

Guitar rack from front is Ibanez S320 w EMG 81/60, Ibanez Prestige RG3120, MIJ 57 reissue Fender Strat, Peavey Grind bass and a Gibson Flying V up against the amp.
Hey, how is the Zoom G9.2tt you've got there? I'm interested in getting one. How is the sound quality, are the effects good etc.

Do you have anything you've recorded with it for me to listen to available online?

How's that FuelTank Fusebox? I have a 1Spot 9V adapter for my pedals but i notice that my Fuzz Factory pedal gets nosier when I plug it in compared to a 9V battery...oh, and when the heck are you going to get back on G.A.M.E. with the rest of us?

monchi-kun said:
Is there a reason why you wanted heavier strings? did the clerk sell you strings for a baritone guitar? are you doing a standard guitar tuning or are you tuning up?

I'm an idiot and bought heavier ones by accident.

you would have to add another spring in order to add more tension to the bridge

The strings you bought were probably for a baritone guitar which have a shorter neck length.

holy crap, the Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb is one of the most versatile verbs i've ever played with! Any reverb fans out there should check it out...infinite reverb is amazing

Fusebox

Banned
monchi-kun said:
How's that FuelTank Fusebox?

Just awesome man. One of those extremely basic and simple bits of kit that works perfectly, and its changed the way I play too, I used to come home, I'd have to plug all my pedals together and see which ones still had enough juice to use and everytime I stopped playing I'd unplug them all to save battery. Now I just come home and flip a power switch and they all come on at once and I leave them all on until I'm done, it's such a nice feeling.

whitehawk said:
Hey, how is the Zoom G9.2tt you've got there? I'm interested in getting one. How is the sound quality, are the effects good etc.

Do you have anything you've recorded with it for me to listen to available online?

That's the one. I can't fault the sound quality. Some sounds are better than others, I can get some beautiful crystal clean modern tones, some sweet-ass singing lead tones and ace raunchy rock tones. Super-bassy chug tones are a bit harder to get dial in though. I don't use it as much these days, if I was gigging though I'd make it the core of my sounds because being able to change between complex patches with one click is so convenient.

I've definitely got some tracks I recorded using it floating around somewhere, I'll try dig one out and upload it.

whitehawk

Banned
Fusebox said:
That's the one. I can't fault the sound quality. Some sounds are better than others, I can get some beautiful crystal clean modern tones, some sweet-ass singing lead tones and ace raunchy rock tones. Super-bassy chug tones are a bit harder to get dial in though. I don't use it as much these days, if I was gigging though I'd make it the core of my sounds because being able to change between complex patches with one click is so convenient.

I've definitely got some tracks I recorded using it floating around somewhere, I'll try dig one out and upload it.
Thanks. I really want to rent one for a week, or even a day, just to try it out and see how it sounds before I plunk $350 on it. But I can't find rentals anywhere =/

Medalion

Banned
stdstratHSS.jpg

New addition couple months ago. Fender Fat Stratocaster, california made. Bought it used. This is now my main axe, and I've taken off the whammy bar.

Fusebox

Banned
whitehawk said:
Thanks. I really want to rent one for a week, or even a day, just to try it out and see how it sounds before I plunk $350 on it. But I can't find rentals anywhere =/

Sorry buddy, just remembered I still haven't done a clip for you yet! Will knock something out tonight, I won't do a song or anything I'll just play a few riffs and chops using some of my different presets.

In other news I've fallen in LOVE with my new Cole Clark acoustic, I played about 20-30 expensive acoustics yesterday at a guitar seconds sale and none of them sounded or felt anywhere as near as good as my Fat Lady, I want another one.

whitehawk

Banned
Fusebox said:
Sorry buddy, just remembered I still haven't done a clip for you yet! Will knock something out tonight, I won't do a song or anything I'll just play a few riffs and chops using some of my different presets.

In other news I've fallen in LOVE with my new Cole Clark acoustic, I played about 20-30 expensive acoustics yesterday at a guitar seconds sale and none of them sounded or felt anywhere as near as good as my Fat Lady, I want another one.
Oh wow, just saw this lol. Could you do this? That would be great!

I've been meaning to rent it, but I can't seem to find anywhere that rents it, only the Boss GT 10. I'm thinking the zoom would be better because:

- Real tubes

This makes is sound more like a real amp, instead of a ugly digital distortion, right?

- z pedal

Being able to use two effects with the same pedal seems really cool.

And just the way it looks. It seems to be designed a lot better than the Boss Gt-10. I've also been thinking the best way to get a good sound is to truly get individual pedals, but those are expensive, for just one =/. And then I would have to get a USB pre amp thing to plug it into my PC. The Zoom has USB out, so I could get tons of sounds and record directly from it.

Plus, it's pretty cheap from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P3YFTO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I already have a Les Paul, but I wanna get a tele or a strato ... The thing is I already own a great guitar so I will either go with Squier or Squier Afinity ...

Is it worth it to not chose Affinity a this price range or is the difference not that big?

18136_1346646339609_1034800455_1040800_2192475_n.jpg

my pedal collection

18136_1346653059777_1034800455_1040806_4668800_n.jpg

i love this set-up. I've always played my guitar into Logic and Propellerheads Record via guitar sim plug-ins. but now I have found the joy/rawness of mic-ing a small tube amp with a really awesome condenser mic (Blue Bluebird)

Medalion

Banned
I use a Blue Snowball usb professional recording mic. It's nice enough recording mic. But I have a feeling I should get something else because it's still missing something... or I just suck at mic positioning, recording guitar always sounds so amateurish.

010_blue_microphone.jpg

set your pattern to cardiod and put it in the middle of the speaker cone. if you want a bit more bass place the snowball off-center. blue mics rock :)

bill0527

This is my first guitar that I got for Christmas when I was 16 years old... almost 20 years ago. I got a starter book and hacked away at it for about a year. I never got any good at it, couldn't afford lessons, and didn't know anybody else that played guitar. It pretty much sat and collected dust until I decided to start playing seriously last year. I've been taking lessons now since last September.

Alvarez Regent 5512 6-string acoustic with D'addario light gauge strings:
PIC-0109.jpg

For Christmas, I got a nice Ovation Celebrity CC057 Acoustic-Electric with a 10-watt Marshall practice amp. I really like this guitar. Its the same one that crashed with Charlie on Lost :lol I recently put Elixir light strings on it.

PIC-0105.jpg

PIC-0106.jpg

I'm also in the market for an electric guitar. I don't want to buy anything used. I've been browsing Craigslist for months and I've decided I want something new in the $500 range. Every single used guitar listing I see has someone that has modded their guitar with "Badass pickups", "special wiring", or a bunch of other shit that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't really know enough about electric guitars to know about modding or the stuff people do to them. I've decided that I really don't want something that the previous owner has fucked with because I won't know the difference at first if he's fucked it up or if its shit. I think I'm just going to end up buying a Fender Stratocaster Made In Mexico model. They're about $500 brand new everywhere. Most people say that they're great beginner-intermediate electric guitars. I'm mostly interested in playing classic rock with the occasional country-rock song. I've got friends that play in a bar band that play this kind of music and they all use Fender Strats. They also own Gibson Les Pauls but for the kind of music their band plays, they all think the Strats are a little more versatile than the Les Pauls for getting the kind of sound they use in their band - which is a lot of Blues, Classic Rock, with the occasional Country Rock song thrown in.

-Eddman-

This is me and my new practice amp, a Fender Frontman 25R. Pic is from last christmas; I also have a Vox Pathfinder 15R and a Black Epiphone Les Paul, pics later.

My wishlist: A Fender Mustang, Univox Hi-Flier, Gibson Firebird and an Orange Rocker amp :D

v6p0mb.jpg

Apologies for the stock photo, but I don't have room/time for it at college and I don't have any pics of it on my laptop:

HourGlass%20Q.jpg

Michael Kelly Hourglass Q. Got it just before they stopped production. Love the thing to death. Went back one weekend, and it had a huge dent in the headstock from when my brother dropped it while fucking around with it. :mad:

Medalion said:
2647006409_28cb5c7e72.jpg

I have this guitar, but it is not my current guitar I use, nor is it my photo. It is a Union Jack Supernova made by Epiphone, it is the signature guitar of Noel Gallagher from Oasis, they no longer make these, the line was discontinued sometime in late 2006 I believe.

mg30dfx.JPG

My amp, Marshall MG30DFX

DSC02491.jpg

My current guitar I use, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Alphine White.

I've got the same les paul and marshall amp as you. Sound is sooo smooth, great for jazz guitar.

Top Bottom