• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost |OT| 3x Better Than Your Favorite Fighting/Mecha game

Particularly Meguriai. One of my favorite songs in general. So great.

Ai Senshi is good too. The lyrics are so grim compared to the rest of the song

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
What the best place to legally watch a lot of these Gundam series?

Nwanime.com has a number of the gundam series, I believe it's legal and it even has Unicorn subbed (which is amazing btw) Crunchyroll has a few too but crunchyroll costs while nwanime does not. But if possible try watching them in chronological order. Gundam fans will bicker amongst themselves as to what series is the best, but this mainly comes down to exposure. Gundam Wing was my first exposure to Gundam and though it is my favorite, I can acknowledge there are better Gundam series out there. Many AU haters will swear up and down UC is the best but personally I hate the idea of newtypes, the mystical mumbo jumbo and kids just jumping in cockpits and killing people with no difficulty or reservations. I'd like to see more stories of actual oldtype vets just wrecking newtype aces. One last thing... UC fanatics will tell you Zeta Gundam is the best, take it from someone who marathoned that shit during storm Sandy, while good it certainly is far from the best.

NEO0MJ

As good as Build Fighters is so far, I wouldn't recommend it to someone with some knowledge on Gundam.

Anyways if we're ranking my list is is:

Best: Turn A
Great: Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, 08th Mobile Suit Team, G Gundam
OK: Gundam 00 Season 1, Gundam Seed, Gundam Wing, War in the Pocket
Bad: Seed Destiny, 00 Season 2

Verdict is still out on Unicorn and Build Fighters, and I haven't watched the rest, except on wikipedia. List might be influenced a bit by nostalgia regarding a few but this is how I feel regarding most at the moment.

What about the ending to Zeta is at all happy?

Probably the movie version? They changed the ending after all.

You guys are hyping Build for me. But I'm continuing where I left off in Age since I'll never finish it if I skip to another series...

Why waste time on something like Age when you can be watching Build FIghters?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How many grenade bazooka Zakus do we really need.

I mean really.

Zerojul

I've never seen a Gundam show (not huge into anime, but I do like manga.)

Quick GAF, what's the consensus best series?

Not so quick but my two cents regarding Gundam anime :

For me the best thing ever in Gundam are the UC OVAs, with 08Th Ms first, 0080 a very very close second. Stardust Memory is quite good too, and it has great designs IMO (stamen, physalis, gerbera tetra, GM custom...). Those are very good, self-contained stories.
Then the first series is a must see, as a large portion of everything else Gundam-related origins from here (I love what they did with The Origin manga, and the rumored (confirmed ?) anime version could be awesome).
Zeta is good, it's IMO a mix of very good stuff and somewhat weaker ones, but it's overall very enjoyable and it's not an happy-ending show at all.
The last "essential" stuff in UC is Char's Counter Attack. I didn't like ZZ that much, V even less, F91 was meh. Unicorn is not over yet so I didn't watch it for now.
Wing is ok at best but I really like the suits in that one.
Seed is allright. Seed Destiny started ok but ended very badly IMO.
I liked 00 first season a lot so second season was a huge disappointment. I didn't bother with the movie as it has a very bad rep, and the little I know about the plot doesn't make it any better.
Turn A is very good. X is my favorite non-UC series but I think it's because it was the first Gundam I ever watched, nostalgia googles and all.
G is an awesome series, it's every thing I like about mecha + shonen combined, with goofy characters and designs. But it's also very different from any other Gundam show...
I couldn't get to the end of AGE. Just couldn't. It's the only show that made me think that it was a waste of my time.
Build is very good for now but it loses much of its interest with no prior knowledge of the Gundam universe.

Krammy

After a corrupt download and subsequent re-download, I finally got to try this game out. I have no knowledge of Gundam and have about as much idea of what I'm doing as a dog at a computer, but the game seems pretty solid from what I've seen. While it could be that I simply missed the first game, the production values seem pretty good. The models all look really nice and have their own feeling, it almost makes me want to dive into the series... Almost.

I'm going to have a chance to play with a friend tomorrow and they're going to show me the ropes, but it's looking like a lot of fun already!

akaoni

Banned
Shadysite has a number of the gundam series, I believe it's legal and it even has Unicorn subbed (which is amazing btw) Crunchyroll has a few too but crunchyroll costs while nwanime does not. But if possible try watching them in chronological order. Gundam fans will bicker amongst themselves as to what series is the best, but this mainly comes down to exposure. Gundam Wing was my first exposure to Gundam and though it is my favorite, I can acknowledge there are better Gundam series out there. Many AU haters will swear up and down UC is the best but personally I hate the idea of newtypes, the mystical mumbo jumbo and kids just jumping in cockpits and killing people with no difficulty or reservations. I'd like to see more stories of actual oldtype vets just wrecking newtype aces. One last thing... UC fanatics will tell you Zeta Gundam is the best, take it from someone who marathoned that shit during storm Sandy, while good it certainly is far from the best.

Sure as hell doesn't look legal to me at first glance. It's made to LOOK legal is my impression.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've had a chance to browse through the Master Guide from Dengeki.
I was really disappointed. Only ~150 pages with very short descriptions of missions, basic modes etc.
Descriptions of suits take 90% of the book, but since it's quite small and it's one suit per page, don't expect anything too in-depth.

In the end I didn't buy it - the site with tier lists has basically the same information and is more than enough.
The guide isn't good enough to drop 1500 yen for it, imo.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've had a chance to browse through the Master Guide from Dengeki.
I was really disappointed. Only ~150 pages with very short descriptions of missions, basic modes etc.
Descriptions of suits take 90% of the book, but since it's quite small and it's one suit per page, don't expect anything too in-depth.

In the end I didn't buy it - the site with tier lists has basically the same information and is more than enough.
The guide isn't good enough to drop 1500 yen for it, imo.

Generally whenever a game that comes out the first guide that pops up in stores is the one not worth buying pretty much for all games unless one is really starved for any information or likes pretty pictures lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Generally whenever a game that comes out the first guide that pops up in stores is the one not worth buying pretty much for all games unless one is really starved for any information or likes pretty pictures lol
I know, but iirc ponpo was getting excited for this one in this/previous thread so I thought that maaaybe it's actually worth it.

Gonna make some lunch and then play a whole lot.

Remember guys, don't pilot on an empty stomach. That is not how wars are won.

xWgncOT.gif

C-Drive

NCSX!!!!! *shakes fist*

Lunar New Year Update - January 30, 2014
We learned late yesterday that our building management decided to shut down the entire office building for the Lunar New Year tomorrow. Apparently, there were enough tenants reporting that they wouldn't be open for business on Friday that the management decided to not open the building tomorrow.

Our weekly Japanese import shipment is already en route for delivery but UPS rescheduled the shipment to tomorrow and as luck would have it, they won't be able to access the building on Friday. We'll check today to determine if we can reschedule the delivery for Saturday but if that's not possible for a shipment that's already in transit, please note that preorders for this week's new releases will ship on Monday. Apologies for this unexpected issue.

Probably still receive it a bit faster than some of the shipments coming out of Asia though.

akaoni

Banned
What difficulty of AI do I need to be able to beat before playing other people? Getting my ass whooped on normal still.

dwix

What difficulty of AI do I need to be able to beat before playing other people? Getting my ass whooped on normal still.

Playing against and with AI is a very different experience. I would focus more on the fundamentals like how to punish landings, how to effectively manage your boost meter, and learn the moves of the different suits.

EDIT:
Here is an awesome noob guide from EXVS that was super helpful for me being new to the series:
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_WBWA7BgkA
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DqH3G5Hyc
Part 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZfqaiMsqk

There are changes in Full Boost (see OP transition guide) but overall it gives you a good idea of how to think about the game.

Also, extensive Beginner's Guide - https://sites.google.com/site/unlim...-extreme-vs/gundam-exvs-guide/an-introduction

EDIT 2: As someone who has played against AI a lot lately, I can't say I notice too much of a difference between Normal and Extreme.

Parakeetman

Hardest setting. (though it seems like they downgraded the AI difficulty from the previous game)

But seriously the AI really isnt much of a comparison to human players as they function really differently, when you play with the GAF folks you will see that. :)

Just keep practicing movement and getting most of the important basic mechanics down. After that its just keep at it with the game and experience will be gained from that!

elyetis

Ordered some JP PSN points for this yesterday. Been anxiously checking my e-mail for the code from Solaris.

The wait is killing me.
Heh, at least you don't need to wait a phone call for the order verification, which will happen between 01:00 am and 10:00 am, because they are based in Hong Kong. ( play-asia )

"Defeating an AI and defeating a person are completely different things. For one, a person won't looks to anti-AI strats."

This. Get in some online games and take some lickings, it's the only way to actually learn how to play against other humans.

andymcc

Banned
"Defeating an AI and defeating a person are completely different things. For one, a person won't looks to anti-AI strats."

This. Get in some online games and take some lickings, it's the only way to actually learn how to play against other humans.

Yeah, I played several matches online after beating up the AI in Free Mode for a few hours. I took a few lickings but really got into the groove after a couple of matches. Arcade/Free Mode are really useful for practicing some of the higher-level techniques and combos and that's really about it.

Speaking of playing this online, the netcode on this one is FAR better than EXVS. I was playing against Japanese players and only really encountered very minimal lag on certain occasions. Color me impressed.

Parakeetman

For me the AI is just to improve your movement and learning timing. The whole strategy thing changes when up against humans thats for sure. Since mind games come into play and thats one thing which you cant practice on AI thats for sure.

I just don't want to shit up other players' games with me being super terrible. Mainly the reason why I'll stick to arcade mode for a while. Can't even manage my boost meter properly yet.

Strike Freedom definitely seems like a great suit to start out with. Having way more luck with it in arcade mode than the others I've tried so far. Kshatriya is sadly too slow to my liking right now.

Parakeetman

I just don't want to shit up other players' games with me being super terrible. Mainly the reason why I'll stick to arcade mode for a while. Can't even manage my boost meter properly yet.

Strike Freedom definitely seems like a great suit to start out with. Having way more luck with it in arcade mode than the others I've tried so far. Kshatriya is sadly too slow to my liking right now.

As long as you dont play ranked matches dont worry about it too much. Since the standard non ranked vs mode really doesnt effect anyone whos playing that much.

You'd be surprised at how much quicker you learn fundamentals playing with people versus arcade mode. :) Also, if you hang out in the IRC with us, we can give you direct feedback on what you need to do! ^^

I'd argue SF is not a good beginner suit whereas Freedom is much better since the cost is less and it has better overall fundamentally sound tools on top of having higher HP. But hey, rock what you got!

Does anyone have a quick translation of the trophy list?

I just ran it through google translate. It's pretty easy to understand.

mcmmaster

Yes my copy has been shipped from Nin-Nin, will arrive on Monday xD. Question about the 90+ playable characters, how many out of them are total unique characters?

Parakeetman

You'd be surprised at how much quicker you learn fundamentals playing with people versus arcade mode. :) Also, if you hang out in the IRC with us, we can give you direct feedback on what you need to do! ^^

I'd argue SF is not a good beginner suit whereas Freedom is much better since the cost is less and it has better overall fundamentally sound tools on top of having higher HP. But hey, rock what you got!

I just ran it through google translate. It's pretty easy to understand.

I still think playing with 1000 pt units helps learning movement fast. Reason being is you get hit you die lol. But thats just and like you said quirky units, but at least in FB there are a few more to choose from.

Yeah I meant Freedom. Haven't even tried any 3000 suits yet.

I've been planning to jump into the IRC channel but keep forgetting. I'll hop in ASAP.

Yes my copy has been shipped from Nin-Nin, will arrive on Monday xD. Question about the 90+ playable characters, how many out of them are total unique characters?
Before the DLC hit, they're all unique. You'll be able to play a lot of them fundamentally the same, but they all have their quirks and unique abilities that make them play differently than each other in the end, especially when you start factoring in the unit costs.

NEO0MJ

Most of them are unique units, it's only with the DLC that we'll be seeing a lot of clones.

mcmmaster

Holy shit you're kidding, most if not all playable gundam are unique. I am going to have so much fun with this game, this is pumping me up so much that i'm tempted to buy it right this second digitally instead of waiting for my copy to arrive.

How's the online going then for people playing out of Japan? If it lags it lags, i'll still get a kick outta this playing locally with friends or mashing the offline modes.

NEO0MJ

Holy shit you're kidding, most if not all playable gundam are unique. I am going to have so much fun with this game, this is pumping me up so much that i'm tempted to buy it right this second digitally instead of waiting for my copy to arrive.

How's the online going then for people playing out of Japan? If it lags it lags, i'll still get a kick outta this playing locally with friends or mashing the offline modes.

Online was decent enough in the old game, and it seems they improved it for the sequel.

Beckx

I just don't want to shit up other players' games with me being super terrible.

Nah, just play. I am super guilty of the "I'm awful" mentality and it's holding me back. I promised myself this morning that I will stop making excuses about myself before I even play.

Jubern

I played for a little bit and was surprised to see that you get exp for each unit SEPARATELY in Mission mode. Guess I'm not getting the plat for that one lol
Unless it doesn't have a "Get ALL units to max level" trophy?

I'm very busy as I'm moving places right now but I should be more available next week!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Nah everyone is really cool. I played with them day 1 and even got matched on the same team with one person for like 5-6 consecutive games.(resulting in 5-6 consecutive losses)

No one gave me shit. They understood that Mermaid Gundam's been avoiding me

Also gave me good feedback. I don't move enough and I tend to panic and try to go in when the enemy gets too close, even when playing suits not designed for that

Playing CPU is boring honestly. I can't do it. Just gonna keep playing real people until it clicks.

Top Bottom