• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost |OT| 3x Better Than Your Favorite Fighting/Mecha game

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Watch the Original, Zeta and Char's Counterattack for the complete UC arc. That's like essential viewing for any Gundam fan imo. Then just watch alternate universe shows like G, Turn A and X

avoid ZZ, victory, age and SEED at all costs. Other than that you can't really go wrong

My personal favorite TV series is Turn A and my favorite OVA is 0080: War in the Pocket

Okay, this many people can't all be wrong. I'm going with Original series, followed by SEED, followed by Zeta. Does this sound good? Or should I change the order?

My friend suggests I should do the Original Movie Trilogy first. What do you think?

Beckx

Okay, this many people can't all be wrong. I'm going with Original series, followed by SEED, followed by Zeta. Does this sound good? Or should I change the order?

My friend suggests I should do the Original Movie Trilogy first. What do you think?

Which one of these is not like others...

Anyway. The movies are fine but may come off a little weird since they compress 50 half hour eps into 3 3 hour movies. But they were my first exposure to Gundam 20 years ago and I still think they're a great start.

For zeta, find the series if you can, I hear the movie compilations do awful things.

You should definitely watch all the UC shows in order first before moving on to the alternate universe stuff.

You like Hitomi and SEED. Let's be friends.

Sure.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I'd watch Zeta after the original as it's a direct sequel. Then the Char's Counterattack movie which concludes the Char and Amuro rivalry.

Then watch SEED if you must but I warn you those people are wroooooooooooong.

The movie trilogy is fine for the original. but try and watch the full TV series for Zeta as the compilation movies for that show aren't as good

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

not that this helps make it any less confusing but heres a general list found in the link below that should give you an idea of the various series go in what order.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/8715/what-is-the-chronology-of-the-gundam-series

What the best place to legally watch a lot of these Gundam series?

Pay a few hundred bux for the DVD/Blurays. Other than that torrent them if you want quality, if not the usual streaming sites probably have them in glorious blurry quality lol.

Anyway I recommend Gundam 00, aside from the movie simply because it took something that was an amazing idea when implied but not shown... then showed it ruining everything lol. Kinda like taking a story way further than it needed to go (as most anime movies related to a tv series go) great action scenes though. I liked 00 simply because it was just a straight up good anime. It lacked many of those weird anime moments that ruin a lot of shows.
I give it a lot of credit for not pulling a "brother.... I LOVE YOU" plot twist and keeping itself fairly grounded in its own rules.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
36% there.

I've never seen a Gundam show (not huge into anime, but I do like manga.)

Quick GAF, what's the consensus best series?
You won't really find a consensus here, but anyway, here is my ranking!

God tier: G, Turn A, 00 S1
spot reserved for Build Fighters
Newtype tier: MSG, Z, Unicorn, X, 8th MS
Coordinator tier: SEED, W, ZZ, F91, War in the Pocket
Indifferent tier: CCA, EW
Lulz tier: 00 S2
Trainwreck tier: SEED Destiny, 0083, V
Double Lulz tier: 00 movie
Hino-ruined-Gundam tier: AGE

Avoid anything below Coordinator tier and you'll be fine :)

andymcc

Banned
Real advice: watch Build. It's on YouTube (gundaminfo) and only people dead inside don't like it. no prior knowledge required.

i think it's a very fun series but your enjoyment of the show would be greatly amplified if you have a prior knowledge of the series.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

You are going to confuse the poor bastard with some of those abbreviations lol

Real advice: watch Build. It's on YouTube (gundaminfo) and only people dead inside don't like it. no prior knowledge required.

Yeah but you miss out on the subtle jokes and references if you have not seen some of the stuff before. Not to mention appreciating how baller some of these customized versions are from the originals.

But I do agree, its a fun show that is a gundam fans wet dream in a lot of aspects. Good for newbies too since they can pick a gundam they liked from Build and watch w/e show it originate from I guess.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Swap Unicorn and War in the Pocket and I can get behind that list

Unicorn is like the MGS4 of UC Gundam to me.

Yeah but you miss out on the subtle jokes and references if you have not seen some of the stuff before. Not to mention appreciating how baller some of these customized versions are from the originals.

But I do agree, its a fun show that is a gundam fans wet dream in a lot of aspects. Good for newbies too since they can pick a gundam they liked from Build and watch w/e show it originate from I guess.

This. As someone who just started Build
Fighters today, I immediately got a kick out
of the
Ral
character.

andymcc

Banned

i'd rank 0083 higher too. while it absolutely falls apart near the end and has some very unlikable characters, it's a very pretty series that really shows how gorgeous the production values of late 80s OVAs were.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
You are going to confuse the poor bastard with some of those abbreviations lol
lol, didn't think of that

As much as I love Unicorn... gotta agree. Unicorn has some hammy ass dialogue and personal drama going on in it. War in the Pocket though...
BERNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could be, it's been a long-ass time since I've seen War in the Pocket so some things about it are quite fuzzy while Unicorn was quite recent (also it's missing it's last episode, so it could still drop lol)

i'd rank 0083 higher too. while it absolutely falls apart near the end and has some very unlikable characters, it's a very pretty series that really shows how gorgeous the production values of late 80s OVAs were.
Disagree, because if it were for that then the 00 movie should be higher...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I enjoyed 0083 myself as well but I can respect the reasons people have for really disliking the show

Same with CCA(QUESS!!!) and Endless Waltz which I also enjoyed. Especially for the detailed Mobile Suits

00 I still need to watch but I expect to like it alot based on opinions of some friends. Gotta finish Gundam X and Wing rewatch(I still don't understand what's happening) first.

Could be, it's been a long-ass time since I've seen War in the Pocket so some things about it are quite fuzzy while Unicorn was quite recent (also it's missing it's last episode, so it could still drop lol)

Same here, that last episode of Unicorn will be amazing or really weak lol.
Still not sure how I feel about there being ANOTHER Gundam when the whole Unicorn Banshee rivalry did not even finish or really even start in terms of direct combat until the last 2 seconds of episode 6.

1emons

Neo Member
Wait for Gundam The Origin series to come out which will be announced soon.

But if you can't wait then the OVAs are a good place to start.

Gundam Unicorn is godly. Gundam Wing was very popular in US during the Toonami era.

G Gundam is all good fighting fun. 00 is my personal favorite but might not be for everyone.

Turn A Gundam is meh

Zeta and ZZ Gundam is good overall if you like mostly happy endings.

Seed is decent but avoid Destiny outside of the last 10 episodes.

Skip Igloo and Victory Gundam.

Of course can't end it off without saying YOU NEED TO WATCH BUILD FIGHTERS!

What about the ending to Zeta is at all happy?

Man I just started watching Build Fighters (like literally, I just finished the first episode), and I can tell I'm gonna love it already. I'm not really sure what the point of adding a supernatural element with Reiji is though, it seems kind of unnecessary.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Played a bunch of good games tonight (I think there were some GAFfers there too [Apharmd, Kirin, MasterDONGS]), but man, Stargazer gets pretty ridiculous at some points. That activated melee range is obscene.

Beth Cyra

He also said Turn A is meh.

He has... interesting views.
Turn A being meh/not great isn't abnormal, its by no means one of the more popular shows at large.

To me there are only two good Gundam shows. ZZ and Unicorn.

Wing, SEED, and 0079 are worth a watch. Also check CCA for the amazingness that is Nu.

Rhapsody

Banned
You guys are hyping Build for me. But I'm continuing where I left off in Age since I'll never finish it if I skip to another series...

Apharmd

You guys are hyping Build for me. But I'm continuing where I left off in Age since I'll never finish it if I skip to another series...

It's a waste of time. There's no light at the end of the tunnel. There's no reward, no praise, nothing. All that awaits you is despair.

And it's not even the funny, ha ha ha I can laugh about myself reaction kind of despair.

It's shit despair.

Played a bunch of good games tonight (I think there were some GAFfers there too [Apharmd, Kirin, MasterDONGS]), but man, Stargazer gets pretty ridiculous at some points. That activated melee range is obscene.

Come to the IRC channel to plan games with us bro. Good stuff, good stuff.

Well... so much for that! haha (game sharing fiasco) From what I played, it was fun. I might drop the cash on it if I get tired of SF4.

Still going to watch the anime, though.

Ezalc

F91 isn't higher because it was only a movie. Bet it would have been better if it was a series. I'd also bump Wing down a few notches. Otherwise I enjoy this list.

For me:

Best:
First Gundam, Zeta, 0080, Turn A

Very Good:
Char's Counterattack, F91, Victory (I'm a minority on this though), Unicorn, Build Fighters (Might become a "best" series)

Good:
ZZ, OO, Stargazer, Gunpla Builders, 0083

Okay:
G, Wing, X

Not that good:
08th MS Team, 00's movie

Bad:
Very Bad:
Seed, Seed Destiny, Igloo 1, Igloo 2

I'd probably watch every series again except those in the "Very bad" section. I'd even watch AGE again.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Dont like the overall placement of your list as much as the other one

But your best ranking is pretty much exactly the same as mine. G would be #5 in my top 5 following those 4.(no clue in what order tho)

Just finished Wing. It's. Dumb.

But now i can watch endless waltz again insuper hd

I'm in the minority for sure on some of those. I have a higher tolerance for certain things than most people do, while a lower tolerance for others.

I'm not really a big fan of anime over all though. I really only like Gundam and a few other mecha shows (and the odd ball thing like FMA and FMAB).

Well, the themesong to the first Gundam series is pretty fucking amazing.

Yep. Great stuff. It's entire soundtrack is fantastic. The movie themes are great too

Top Bottom