• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

From what I can gather from the health shown in the pics, BD-1 looks to be a 2000 and Arche a 2500. Apparently, The O and Gottlaran are also 2500. I wonder if they'll add in 1000 suits as well in the near future. Freedom will more than likely be 2500, too.

BD-1 at 2000 would be great. For me that is the cost I feel most comfortable at. Is it just me that really doesn't like playing the 3000 units all that much? I always feel like the risk is too great because of my skill level. ;)

Do I have you on my friends list? If not just sent me a request. I should be online semi-regularly and if you message me for a game I am probably up for it. :)

I'll be sure to add you next time you're on. I was on for a bit last night but I didn't get too many matches in. A lot of the time when I'm searching for matches, it takes a while...

I meant to ask, is there somewhere I can look and see how many online matches I've played?

I also have to get some Japanese PSN space bucks for the DLC next week!

I'll be sure to add you next time you're on. I was on for a bit last night but I didn't get too many matches in. A lot of the time when I'm searching for matches, it takes a while...

I meant to ask, is there somewhere I can look and see how many online matches I've played?

I also have to get some Japanese PSN space bucks for the DLC next week!

Yup. It's in the briefing room menu, the first selection. And the DLC is tomorrow, good sir. :3

And tried to get some matches in at work hoping the beast internet connection would help. Nope... too laggy against the JPs. =(

Oh yeah, anybody know what time DLC usually hits the JP PSN store?

Yeah I can see how people would want to stay away from 3000 cost units. But I think God Gundam is just too much fun so I'll try to keep playing with it even if it has a 2500 cost.

I'll stick to 1000 units because I go in too hard and tend to block with my face. I really don't want to handicap my team too much when I die, and I'm really comfortable with Gouf Custom anyway.

Yup. It's in the briefing room menu, the first selection. And the DLC is tomorrow, good sir. :3

And tried to get some matches in at work hoping the beast internet connection would help. Nope... too laggy against the JPs. =(

Oh yeah, anybody know what time DLC usually hits the JP PSN store?

Thanks!

And it's that soon for the PSN stuff huh? Time to fire off an email to my friend! What's the price breakdown for the units again?

Do we know approximately how many DLC units there will be? I'll probably get a 5000 yen card if anything (ouch)

Don't know really. I'm assuming they're coming in twos. We know for sure there's gonna be 5 since we have Arche and BD-1 (which came out of nowhere), The O and Gottlaran were in the recent Famitsu, Freedom has its silhouette teased on the main site... maybe three more after that(if Hi-Nu isn't lopped in there somewhere)?

It's all a crapshoot really, but I'm expecting some from Full Boost to show up as well.

Don't know really. I'm assuming they're coming in twos. We know for sure there's gonna be 5 since we have Arche and BD-1 (which came out of nowhere), The O and Gottlaran were in the recent Famitsu, Freedom has its silhouette teased on the main site... maybe three more after that(if Hi-Nu isn't lopped in there somewhere)?

It's all a crapshoot really, but I'm expecting some from Full Boost to show up as well.

I wonder if the DLC suits are for parity with Full Boost? Kinda like what Blaz did with the DLC patches pre-CS2. I guess we'll see.

I wonder if the DLC suits are for parity with Full Boost? Kinda like what Blaz did with the DLC patches pre-CS2. I guess we'll see.

Considering Full Boost is using the same engine as EXVS and not making huge changes to the gameplay system aside from the Full Boost mechanic, I don't see why they wouldn't. It'd be easier on the dev team anyway since they're not really overhauling anything.

I wonder if there's gonna be any balance patches to the existing suits.

I'll stick to 1000 units because I go in too hard and tend to block with my face. I really don't want to handicap my team too much when I die, and I'm really comfortable with Gouf Custom anyway.

You definitely play a great Gouf :D. I'm sure I've probably handicapped my teams whenever I've played any 3000's...hell, I probably handicap my team just by virtue of being on it lol. That being said I am much more comfortable now with the 00 Gundam and Nu Gundam. I think for GAF matches I'm mostly going to stick to improving my 2000-2500 units (basically Dragon, Gunner Zaku and Cherudim). I haven't played much with the 1000's so I'll try to experiment with a few in Free Battle/Arcade.

Has anyone encountered this while playing online?

I'll be in a 2 on 2 match and my partner DOES NOTHING. They'll run around the map never attacking the enemy. OR they'll follow me around, never attacking the enemy, but then "accidentally" hitting me if I start up an attack combo.

This isn't an isolated event, I've had it happen on different days and with different people.

Cacophanus

Mechadamashii is a good recommendation anyway for anyone who is into Mecha stuff. I really enjoy the site.

Thanks, glad you like the site.

Totally loving GEX though. Back in Japan at the moment too (on holiday) and I've been pwning like a demented newtype in the arcades here. At first I thought it was that the Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai must be unbalanced but I've had a pretty epic win streak with all sorts of mobile suits. Still love the Crossbone units though, mecha with cloaks are just so cool!

Definitely get more coverage of the game on your site! Good stuff as always, sir. :3

Also, what's your PSN? Gotta get in some Gundam GAF games when you get back.

Has anyone encountered this while playing online?

I'll be in a 2 on 2 match and my partner DOES NOTHING. They'll run around the map never attacking the enemy. OR they'll follow me around, never attacking the enemy, but then "accidentally" hitting me if I start up an attack combo.

This isn't an isolated event, I've had it happen on different days and with different people.

So... there's no CPU involved at all? Normally they're just putzing around waiting for a 4th to come in, but it's never happened to me when it's been an actual 2v2 with all human players.

Cacophanus

Definitely get more coverage of the game on your site! Good stuff as always, sir. :3

Also, what's your PSN? Gotta get in some Gundam GAF games when you get back.

My main PSN account is NeoCacky. You'll prolly see me online already though as I've nabbed a PS Vita and it's using the same PSN.

matmanx1

My last batch of matches last night were all run using 1000 point units. I don't seem to die appreciably faster than when I am using the 2000 point units so I may be sticking with them for the time being.

The only downside is the lack of variety in the 1000 tier. I'd eventually like to see more units added to that level. More variety is always a good thing.

Lag gets really depressing when you press buttons and nothing actually happens. Just end up standing there doing nothing completely open. I guess you really just have to learn to predict the future a second or two in advance.

Some one already got Arche Gundam, neat.

matmanx1

Got in a USA room tonight with a couple of guys and I was definitely the weakest link in that group. I don't know if there's a concept I'm not grasping yet or if it's just more time and practice I need or if I'm fighting some lag issues but I'm pretty much just getting wasted repeatedly.

So I've got a couple of questions for those of you who are having some success if anyone is up to them. I'm pretty sure from watching a replay or two of myself that I'm not managing my boost properly in that I don't seem to cover ground as effectively as some and I sometimes find myself in overheat. I saw on the gamefaqs movelist guide where the author was talking about being able to tack on a jump to an aerial boost dash to cover ground quicker. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Second question: Should I be on the same target as my partner at the start of the match or should I purposely pick the one he's not on? I always assumed that ganging up on one unit at the start would be more effective but maybe that's not the case?

That leads into my third question. How often do you guys target change? I feel like I'm getting hit quite often by attacks I never saw coming. On range attacks a step will usually let me dodge if I'm cognizant of the warning flash but if someone is dashing up to my blindside with a sword out then I'm probably just going to eat a sword sandwich for large damage. And I do. Alot. My thought is the target change will help me keep tabs on both opponents better but obviously you don't want to interrupt a combo or attack string to do it.

Last question: And this is more open ended so I apologize but I need pointers on setting up melee combos. This may go back to me not moving and boosting properly but do you guys have a standard routine for trying to close on someone to land a combo? Obviously boosting covers ground quicker and you can melee from the boost and cancel into a rainbow step which will allow you to maneuver to a spot to hit from but knowing that and actually being successful with it seems to be difficult. At least for me.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer them. I really appreciate it!

Patch for the game is out, my PS3 auto-downloaded it.

DLC is also out. Just bought Blue Destiny 1 (4,893 KB file). Arche Gundam doesn't do anything for me.

So... there's no CPU involved at all? Normally they're just putzing around waiting for a 4th to come in, but it's never happened to me when it's been an actual 2v2 with all human players.

No CPU involved at all. It's like the guy is purposely throwing the match.

JKTrix

@matmanx1

I'm confident in my understanding of the mechanics, but as far as competitive execution there are others you might want to consider a little more heavily. Especially for the last question, which I don't really have an answer for.

For one, check out the first part of this video focused on jumping and boosting. There are several of these EXVS tutorials around, I think Donkey even posted one several pages ago, but this one is more recent and shows you the (default) buttons and directional inputs for what they're doing, so you don't have to understand Japanese to at least get the basics of what they're talking about.

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16472500
I saw on the gamefaqs movelist guide where the author was talking about being able to tack on a jump to an aerial boost dash to cover ground quicker. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
The first segment in that video relates directly to this. It might not cover ground 'quicker', but it conserves your boost bar by letting you travel a little farther using your BD momentum. You do it by doing the BD, then letting go of the lever/direction and tapping Jump again. You'll notice you still go forward a little bit, but you don't use any more of your boost gauge. Useful.
The second part of the same segment shows that if you press a direction again during the last jump, you travel even further. Then it compares the distance between the two.
Second question: Should I be on the same target as my partner at the start of the match or should I purposely pick the one he's not on? I always assumed that ganging up on one unit at the start would be more effective but maybe that's not the case?
I think as we start to form some better teamwork, this kind of thing will be more intuitive. Some of us have certain combos that we've gotten used to doing, but if the partner interferes at all it can actually reduce the damage of the combo considerably. I think in general, if your partner is already actually attacking someone, you're better off watching his back to make sure he isn't interrupted than trying to contribute. On the other hand, if the target is attacking your partner you know to try and interrupt that. I believe the term for interrupting a combo being performed is 'cutting'.
How often do you guys target change? I feel like I'm getting hit quite often by attacks I never saw coming. My thought is the target change will help me keep tabs on both opponents better but obviously you don't want to interrupt a combo or attack string to do it.
On the contrary, as soon as you start a melee string--assuming you're not going to step cancel--you can switch targets and still complete the string. Similarly if you have any one-shot ranged attacks, you can switch as soon as you fire it too. This way you can hit the guy in front of you while watching your own back (and step-dodge accordingly) or planning what you'll do next.

Even if you have no boost left, you can follow up your melee string with a charge attack you might have been holding. If you released it on the guy you just smacked down, it'll have no effect since he's 'down' (yellow lock). But if you switched targets, you might have a chance of hitting the other guy.

I got no tips on 'getting in'.

Got in two matches playing with Blue Destiny 1. Reminds me of a Federation Gouf in terms of play mechanics.

And with that, I'm away from home until next Tuesday evening. So no playtime for me. Have fun guys!

Xater

That leads into my third question. How often do you guys target change? I feel like I'm getting hit quite often by attacks I never saw coming. On range attacks a step will usually let me dodge if I'm cognizant of the warning flash but if someone is dashing up to my blindside with a sword out then I'm probably just going to eat a sword sandwich for large damage. And I do. Alot. My thought is the target change will help me keep tabs on both opponents better but obviously you don't want to interrupt a combo or attack string to do it.

Last question: And this is more open ended so I apologize but I need pointers on setting up melee combos. This may go back to me not moving and boosting properly but do you guys have a standard routine for trying to close on someone to land a combo? Obviously boosting covers ground quicker and you can melee from the boost and cancel into a rainbow step which will allow you to maneuver to a spot to hit from but knowing that and actually being successful with it seems to be difficult. At least for me.

1: Not necessarily a good idea. You don#t want to interrupt your partners combos if he is close by. It really is situational for me if I focus with my partner on someone. I usually try to have his back by keeping the other guy busy.

2: Changing targets is important. You have to keep track of the indicators at the sides of your screen. Yellow means someone has locked on to you from that side and red means you are being attacked from there. If you keep track of those indicators it should be easier to decide when to switch targets.

3: I usually try to get in by using my range attacks. If the enemy goes down that is a great opportunity to close distance and you can also make them dodge more than concentrate on their attacks. It's kinda hard to explain. If you are having way too much trouble with it maybe give Heavyarms a try. That unit is all about keeping your distance.

I like Arche. That BC movement is going to be really useful since it looks like it loses weapon tracking when used. Fangs recharge pretty fast as well. Also, I love how its 2B is a taunt. >=D

As for BD, I was hoping his slide had a faster recharge. =(

Xater

I like Arche. That BC movement is going to be really useful since it looks like it loses weapon tracking when used. Also, I love how its 2B is a taunt. >=D

As for BD, I was hoping his slide had a faster recharge. =(

Are there any good videos of the new units so I can take a peek before I might buy them? Maybe you recorded something?

Are there any good videos of the new units so I can take a peek before I might buy them? Maybe you recorded something?

I'll record an arcade playthrough when I get back home later on today. I just downloaded them right now and have been messing about.

I'll see if I can come up with some kind of video FAQ regarding their movesets as well.

Xater

I'll record an arcade playthrough when I get back home later on today. I just downloaded them right now and have been messing about.

I'll see if I can come up with some kind of video FAQ regarding their movesets as well.

That would be cool.

Also I have still not unlocked a single trophies although I did a bunch of Trial Missions. This is kinda weirding me out at this point.

That would be cool.

Also I have still not unlocked a single trophies although I did a bunch of Trial Missions. This is kinda weirding me out at this point.

The trophies should start unlocking late in the second tier and then pretty much every emblem on in the third and fourth tier.

Hmmm, ranked might not be so hot considering we'd be more than likely paired up with JPs and my connections with them haven't been so hot lately regardless of what internet I'm using.

Good to see there haven't been any added trophies with the new patch though.

Xater

Hmmm, ranked might not be so hot considering we'd be more than likely paired up with JPs and my connections with them haven't been so hot lately regardless of what internet I'm using.

Good to see there haven't been any added trophies with the new patch though.

I also just unlocked my first one, so my fear of something not working is now gone. ;)

Having the ranked matches is nice, but for us I guess it is still best to just create a room.

I also just unlocked my first one, so my fear of something not working is now gone. ;)

Having the ranked matches is nice, but for us I guess it is still best to just create a room.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm really looking to get Arche super ready for some online action though. It's really fucking tricky and has some nice melee priority. :3

I like Arche. That BC movement is going to be really useful since it looks like it loses weapon tracking when used. Fangs recharge pretty fast as well. Also, I love how its 2B is a taunt. >=D

Nice...think I'll get Arche this weekend sometime. Not sure about BD, though. Might save the points for some of the future DLC.

matmanx1

On lunch break now using my Nook to post from so I don't have much time but I do appreciate all the suggestions and answers to my questions. Some of that stuff I had no idea about. I'll check out the links you guys posted and hopefully be able to put some of that into practice tonight. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom