• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

I found another mission to do that's relatively fast and nets you 100,000 to 120,000 points with the MAX point up skill.

It's in the upper left area of the Commander missions. It's called "Warriors Again..." and is a story stage for Double ZZ. You have to beat Hamarn to win it. Basically, build up ZZ to max and then go into the stage, as soon as it starts, do a Hi-Mega Cannon to clear all the Gazas (sometimes a few will get loose but easily dispatched). After Hamarn comes in, shoot her down with an A -> AB combination and get close. Then Hi-Mega her until she dies. If you run out of charges, use your Extreme Burst, and if that runs out,m use your Armor Purge cannon. It's not as quick as the Alex mission but it's not bad, 30 seconds if you're quick maybe a little more and you can get no damage runs if you're doing it right.

I was using that for a bit as well, but it requires a bit more attention vs the Alex one where I can just turn myself off for a bit and come back to a bunch of MP.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
How am i supposed to kill ptolemaios 2? :p

edit - nm got it. i have to remember to use cpu commands more

matmanx1

How am i supposed to kill ptolemaios 2? :p

edit - nm got it. i have to remember to use cpu commands more

Is that the mission where you play as the Susano-o? I still haven't gotten the emblem for that mission. How did you do it? It seems like the Ptolemaios is untargettable most of the time.

Is that the mission where you play as the Susano-o? I still haven't gotten the emblem for that mission. How did you do it? It seems like the Ptolemaios is untargettable most of the time.
Just set your CPU to attack the same target as you (2nd CPU option) whenever you can target the Ptolemaios. Use the ball of doom and chakram when possible.

matmanx1

Just got my 100 matches Trophy, woot woot. Long way to go yet for others but I at least have that one. 100 matches and I'm still such a newbie. Everyone I played with tonight had between 400 and 1400(!!) matches but hey, this is how we learn.

And I am doing better! Zaku II is loads of fun. Definitely a good unit to use for someone who's gained familiarity with the game's systems but still isn't necessarily great at it because of the low cost.

I have a question regarding Ranked Matches. Can you back out of a Ranked room if you see everyone has a red connection status like you can with the unranked? Red connection's almost always mean unplayable lag so if I see them I just leave the room and look for another one. It's the only reason I haven't started doing Ranked yet. I'm just not at all excited about playing through lag and pausing.

I have a question regarding Ranked Matches. Can you back out of a Ranked room if you see everyone has a red connection status like you can with the unranked? Red connection's almost always mean unplayable lag so if I see them I just leave the room and look for another one. It's the only reason I haven't started doing Ranked yet. I'm just not at all excited about playing through lag and pausing.
Yes you can, but don't worry. The JPs will probably back out before you get a chance to.

Riposte

This has probably been posted a thousand times, but bear with me...

What are the chances of this seeing a US release? As early as next year?

matmanx1

The chances of this getting a US release at all is pretty much not existent.

Games of this quality that don't get worldwide releases are a crying shame. I imagine the localization cost is the barrier here as there's tons of voice clips (although not more than Gundam Musou I don't think). Does this game use an actual server or is it all peer to peer?

If Namco isn't interested then it would be a great project for someone like Atlus although I can't see Namco letting go of publishing rights. I definitely put this game up there with Demon's Souls in terms of awesome gameplay and any localization announcement would be met with like levels of amazement and glee.

I remember that Dynasty Warriors Gundam sidestepped the landmine of trying to pull voice actors from each of the various production companies the Gundam franchise has used for dubs in the past by just letting Ocean Productions handle all of it. It meant recasts for characters from shows like Unicorn, which replaced Steve Staley with Brendan Hunter for Banagher Links and Stephanie Sheh with Laura Rushfeldt for Audrey Burne.

Since Atlus uses union actors, I don't know if they'd have the budget to finance this large a cast, unless they too outsourced the localization to Ocean.

SpadeRunner

Neo Member
I remember that Dynasty Warriors Gundam sidestepped the landmine of trying to pull voice actors from each of the various production companies the Gundam franchise has used for dubs in the past by just letting Ocean Productions handle all of it. It meant recasts for characters from shows like Unicorn, which replaced Steve Staley with Brendan Hunter for Banagher Links and Stephanie Sheh with Laura Rushfeldt for Audrey Burne.

Since Atlus uses union actors, I don't know if they'd have the budget to finance this large a cast, unless they too outsourced the localization to Ocean.

Easy fix "screw it leave the voices in japanese and just translate the text" Bandai themselves did it with the EU One Piece games on the Wii and most recent on the DS which came out about a month ago (which never got a US release because of this) :)

matmanx1

I wonder how many copies of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 sold here in the US. It seemed pretty popular at the Gamestop where I was working at the time but anecdotal evidence is pretty unreliable. Obviously it never made NPD but a game doesn't have to make the NPD top 10 list to be profitable and "worth it" for the publisher.

And for what it's worth DWG3 was my favorite Gundam game until I played EXVS. I've not had any experience with the older Gundam games but do any of the past games stand up to EXVS or is it the highbar for the franchise?

SpadeRunner

Neo Member
I wonder how many copies of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 sold here in the US. It seemed pretty popular at the Gamestop where I was working at the time but anecdotal evidence is pretty unreliable. Obviously it never made NPD but a game doesn't have to make the NPD top 10 list to be profitable and "worth it" for the publisher.

And for what it's worth DWG3 was my favorite Gundam game until I played EXVS. I've not had any experience with the older Gundam games but do any of the past games stand up to EXVS or is it the highbar for the franchise?

(I'm only talking about the Vs series in this post...)
Having played all the console ports of the older games (and a few emulated arcade ones) I'd have to say EXVS is top of the Vs ladder, maybe if I had played Next in an arcade and not on a tiny psp screen, it may have gotten close with its different character roster, but theres just more variety in the characters now than there was in the older series specific games. While playing as a basic gm was awesome from an "I totally beat up a gundam in this" point of view, there seemed like much muuuch less character to level balancing going on. Noir being the most obvious one in that catagory from Omni vs Zaft.

Graphics wise, gameplay wise, balance wise, extras wise... I think it wins on all levels (maybe the zeta (+seed)games win out on their mission mode as it followed the series had a bunch of what if scenarios, and was in english so I could work out what was going on, while it could be the same in EX's missions I just cant read them to find out~)

Sooo yeah, the only thing the previous games have going for them is that the first bunch were translated and released in english, even the original naomi arcade was translated and brought over, and I think there was Gundam vs Zeta Gundam that was actually ported to consoles for the us market too? So Seed/Destiny and Gundam/Next were the only ones not translated, so they lose out like EX on the whats going on in the missions quota.

As for DW, I liked the original and its new story mode and all its wackyness (domon, puru and zechs is all that ever needs to be said) where as 2 and 3 took the whole "lets just randomise the fights each time and hope no one notices when they do the same stage setup and enemies 3 times in a row in completely different missions". 3 fixed the story problem, y'know by actually having one, but at the same time I missed the voice acted cutscenes and the cg animated bits that poped up vs the lets read text while looking a pictures 3 had. Better gameplay no doubt but less interesting as a whole.

No actually, I take it back 3 was the worst one in the series in every way possible. Okay only in one specific way but it matters most of all... Master Asia has a different voice. This ruins the entire game. Completely. ;p

Coxy

anyone have any tips for the trial mode mission where you're on your own, cant equip any skills, cant respawn and start off against God and DX?

matmanx1

anyone have any tips for the trial mode mission where you're on your own, cant equip any skills, cant respawn and start off against God and DX?

That sounds nasty. You'd definitely want a maxed out unit and preferably one of the 3000 point ones because of the extra HP. After that it would just be who you feel you can win with. I'd probably pick Turn A because he's pretty good at keeping enemies out of his face but you might want someone with a stronger ranged option like Strike Freedom or a stronger beam defense like Nu-Gundam. This is obviously just Gundam-theory though as I've not gotten to that mission. Good luck!

I'm stuck on that Newtype mission too. Help is appreciated.

Strike Freedom is the easiest to use in that mission since you can spam lasers with it's funnels. Unicorn is also good considering you can reload its beam magnum quickly. I used Cherudim when I beat it awhile back and pretty much stayed as far away as possible while waiting for them to land, including getting the jump on either DX or God when the match starts with a nice little snipe to the face. But really the key is just keeping proper distance away from all of them and some inertia jumping helps as well, especially when you have to fight Turn A, Destiny, and QAN[T]. Use your EX Burst as soon as you get it so you can recharge your ammo ASAP.

I just recorded myself passing that mission using Strike Freedom, so maybe you can get some pointers from that as well. I'll post it in a bit. =)

Shouta

I just S'd that mission with Unicorn Gundam. Just run away and shoot, prioritize the unit that's more dangerous at range while keeping the melee ones at bay and keep running.

Shouta

Woo, finally S'd all the Trial Missions. The Gundam X mission in Newtype and the one where you have to avoid the Destroy and Divinidad ones were the hardest for me to get an S but finally did it. Now I just have to farm points for the units. =/

matmanx1

Ok I need help on the Common Soldier mission where you have to survive against waves of suicide bombing Zudah's. The mission is classified as a "green" mission (meaning easy!) but I can't seem to live through it to actually complete it.

There's probably something really simple that I'm not doing properly but if anyone has a pointer or better strategy I could employ I sure would appreciate it.

Shouta

Ok I need help on the Common Soldier mission where you have to survive against waves of suicide bombing Zudah's. The mission is classified as a "green" mission (meaning easy!) but I can't seem to live through it to actually complete it.

There's probably something really simple that I'm not doing properly but if anyone has a pointer or better strategy I could employ I sure would appreciate it.

Run from them and if they get close and start doing the suicide attack, block as they come in, you'll take no damage from them.

Atcha

happy new year to all !

9.30 pm (french hours ) , I'll be online ( donkey show is already up ) .

So, if some people are interrested :D

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Good games to Atcha, donkey show, Jubern, Shouta, and Spaderunner! Great Gundam session to ring in 2012.

May this year be prolific for the GAFdam crew
and bring us plenty of DLC and patches for the game
!

I checked out this video today which highlights the Ez8 Gundam, and it looks pretty unique. What sets it apart from the other Mobile Suits on the roster is that it seems to excel under a support role, lobbing off cannon shells from a distance as a means of providing covering fire for the teammate. My question is, do you find that strategy complementary to your own playstyle, or detrimental because it might mean being double-teamed by your opponents? I'm asking this because it looks like a cool way to play, but I don't want to adopt this style if it means burdening my teammate.

Coxy

aw poop, fell asleep at the PS3 since I have flu, missed out on the matches

thanks for the video Donkey Show, seems pretty similar to what I'd been doing but on the occasion I get tagged by melee I seem to eat hundreds of damage in a combo. I'll give Strike Freedom a shot though, DX doesnt seem to have the ammo to make it through and the satellite cannons are suicide heh

Shouta

I checked out this video today which highlights the Ez8 Gundam, and it looks pretty unique. What sets it apart from the other Mobile Suits on the roster is that it seems to excel under a support role, lobbing off cannon shells from a distance as a means of providing covering fire for the teammate. My question is, do you find that strategy complementary to your own playstyle, or detrimental because it might mean being double-teamed by your opponents? I'm asking this because it looks like a cool way to play, but I don't want to adopt this style if it means burdening my teammate.

As a 2v2 game, you usually have to work with your partner to combat the other team so however you choose to fight is within that scope. Being a support unit that's lobbing shells is perfectly fine. Just gotta work with your partner to deal the most damage with it as you can.

For pick-ups though, Ez8 is a hard unit to use as support because it requires specific teamwork to play. As such, it's best to partner up with someone if you want to play him specifically.

MechaX

GGs Gundam-GAF! This was definitely a lot more fun than just picking Team Shuffle all the time.

Shrike Team finally gets some of the recognition they deserve!

I got this game yesterday. Dont speak japanese at all. Haven't played it yet either. Is there a guide or anything like that in english around the web i can use? Or does anyone have any advices?

Damn, 8 win streak in ranked lost. Stupid SF player. I'm supposed to support him, not the other way around. =/

But yeah, even with a beast connection here at work, JPs still show up as reds.

Atcha

Good games to Atcha, donkey show, Jubern, Shouta, and Spaderunner! Great Gundam session to ring in 2012.

May this year be prolific for the GAFdam crew
and bring us plenty of DLC and patches for the game
!

thx.

Gg to everyone. It was really good (as usual :D ).

My rx-82-2 is just perfect for me :D : DEFENSIVE

matmanx1

Damn, 8 win streak in ranked lost. Stupid SF player. I'm supposed to support him, not the other way around. =/

But yeah, even with a beast connection here at work, JPs still show up as reds.

Are you still mostly playing Gunner Zaku? I am impressed with how good that unit is at playing "keep away" with most enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom