• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKTrix

Found a Japanese bookstore in New York which had the old 'Tactical Guide'. Severely out of date, but they didn't have the new one yet. "Maybe next year" they said.

I can't really read Japanese, but it has images of all the extra 'unlock' stuff that the Arcade version has that we didn't get. Different titles and different interface skins. Those would be some nice DLC.

Found a Japanese bookstore in New York which had the old 'Tactical Guide'. Severely out of date, but they didn't have the new one yet. "Maybe next year" they said.

I can't really read Japanese, but it has images of all the extra 'unlock' stuff that the Arcade version has that we didn't get. Different titles and different interface skins. Those would be some nice DLC.

I got that book for Christmas from a friend in Japan. He couldn't find the new PS3 guide book.

Shouta

Been doing a lot of rank matches and I've crawled my way up to Sergeant so far using Blue Destiny. Comp is getting a little tougher and in general, win or lose is definitely now up to teamwork.

baekshi

Banned

Where is this store in NY?

I'm also in NY btw.

Shouta

I'm still too chicken to play ranked. There aren't any Ranked trophies are there?

Not that I know of. The early levels are pretty basic players. The system looks like it matches based on rank so you'll generally get grouped with folks of that same skill level on the whole.

Not that I know of. The early levels are pretty basic players. The system looks like it matches based on rank so you'll generally get grouped with folks of that same skill level on the whole.
Shit, I wish that was the case for me. I've been constantly matched up with players far above my rank.

matmanx1

Man, I really want this. And I could afford it, thanks to Christmas money and such. But the $86 Play-Asia wants for the Asia version is a bit too steep for me. =/ Damn shame, game looks absolutely amazing.

Seraphis I know you aren't going to believe me but the game is worth $86. The amount of Trial mode missions (200'ish? I'm not sure how big the Newtype tier is!) plus the 8 Arcade routes plus the 60 Gundams you get to play with right out of the box means there's a ton of great content even if you never touch online mode.

If you go online then a whole new world of 2v2 action awaits you in what's probably the most fun VS type game I've ever played. I'm not really into fighting games as a general rule but I do like Gundam and this game is so well done that it actually makes me want to practice and be good at the online component. I really just picked it up as a "maybe I will enjoy it but if I don't I can always sell it" and have since gotten hooked to the point where it's only come out of my PS3 so I could demo my new 3D glasses on a couple of other games. The game is just that much fun.

It's smooth, it's fast, it's beautiful and best of all it's easy to get in to even for a non Japanese speaker. And even better it's got a growing English speaking community who can help you if you need it.

And speaking of help, I've got a couple of missions in the 3rd group that I can't seem to get the emblems to unlock even though I'm S ranking them. One specifically is a mission where the "boss" is V2 gundam but before you face him you face a bunch of grunt gundams who explode in giant pink atomic type explosions. Anyone know what you have to do here to get the emblem?

Another one is the mission against the mobile armor that looks like a giant mole with curved blades for hands. I've S ranked it but the emblem still isn't unlocking for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

And speaking of help, I've got a couple of missions in the 3rd group that I can't seem to get the emblems to unlock even though I'm S ranking them. One specifically is a mission where the "boss" is V2 gundam but before you face him you face a bunch of grunt gundams who explode in giant pink atomic type explosions. Anyone know what you have to do here to get the emblem?

Another one is the mission against the mobile armor that looks like a giant mole with curved blades for hands. I've S ranked it but the emblem still isn't unlocking for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Clear both of those missions without a partner and you'll get the emblems.

As for new trophies, none were added in the latest patch.

You have to take out 10 (I tihink it's ten, the number is noted in the requirements, it's romanized so you'll be able to tell) of the grunts yourself. I had a bitch of a time with that mission initially.

Reknoc

How's the Asia version of this game, english friendly?

Anything like Demons Souls? Maybe I missed it in OP?

It's all in Japanese regardless of version. The main menu does have teeny tiny text in English though. It's all pretty simple, I've not had any trouble with it and I can't read any Japanese. I guess you don't really need to translate kill everything really. Mind, I haven't got very far in Trial mode, so I dunno if that gets any more complex.

It's all in Japanese regardless of version. The main menu does have teeny tiny text in English though. It's all pretty simple, I've not had any trouble with it and I can't read any Japanese. I guess you don't really need to translate kill everything really. Mind, I haven't got very far in Trial mode, so I dunno if that gets any more complex.

Emblem requirements for some trial missions are more specific than that. Just ask and we'll translate for you.

Shouta

Nice games guys, as promised, I'll give ya some tips.

Lost: Three things. Like I mentioned in chat, your movement is too straight, you need to move more zig-zaggy and in shorter bursts so you don't lose as much boost quickly and it'll make you a harder target to land hits on.

2nd is that you should cancel a move out if it doesn't look like you'll land it. There were a few times where you shot the Mega Cannon from TGIII and missed but didn't BD out of it for whatever reason. If you run out of boost, then nothing you can do but if you still had some, then you should cancel it as soon as you know it won't hit. You can help that by doing the move without the camera cut, hold down 2 (or back) while doing the attack and TGIII will do it without the camera switching angles.

3rd is that you should get the timing down on landing BR/Main x3. This is the bread and butter damage source in the game and it's not hard per se, just gotta train yourself to do it before you think about it. There were a few times you got me with one or two but if you had repeated it as soon as it hit, you'd have more damage going on.

Pak32; Your running out of boost too much and you're turning and firing your BR which stops you in place and drains your boost as well. Make sure to pay attention to your positioning, not just relative to the enemy but your unit's direction and of course how much boost you're using. Good use of the stun to block melee a few times but be careful because, as I said, the super armor will only take you so far and it doesn't do any actual damage. Your funnel work is pretty good though.

Amish: When playing Cherudim, running away is your biggest priority and you should always try to maintain your distance so the enemy can't melee you. If you're playing with someone you trust and are good, you can be inside bait for your partner to get melee and cuts but if they aren't doing that, then stay away when fighting them. Staying close to them is important as well for protection.

SDN; Don't know if you're reading this but for IJ, using your boomerang and BR is a really good way of getting close to your opponent. Your usage of the boomerang is fine and if you manage to land it on an enemy, going in for the melee might not be a bad idea, assuming the boomer hits. If you're expecting to land melee, you'll also need to be closer in general. You can play IJ from a bit away but you lose a little bit of punch because of the distance/shielding/wathever. You should also use your CSa a bit more so particularly when trying to land hits on enemies that are touching down the ground.

matmanx1

Nice games guys, as promised, I'll give ya some tips.

Lost: Three things. Like I mentioned in chat, your movement is too straight, you need to move more zig-zaggy and in shorter bursts so you don't lose as much boost quickly and it'll make you a harder target to land hits on.

2nd is that you should cancel a move out if it doesn't look like you'll land it. There were a few times where you shot the Mega Cannon from TGIII and missed but didn't BD out of it for whatever reason. If you run out of boost, then nothing you can do but if you still had some, then you should cancel it as soon as you know it won't hit. You can help that by doing the move without the camera cut, hold down 2 (or back) while doing the attack and TGIII will do it without the camera switching angles.

3rd is that you should get the timing down on landing BR/Main x3. This is the bread and butter damage source in the game and it's not hard per se, just gotta train yourself to do it before you think about it. There were a few times you got me with one or two but if you had repeated it as soon as it hit, you'd have more damage going on.

Pak32; Your running out of boost too much and you're turning and firing your BR which stops you in place and drains your boost as well. Make sure to pay attention to your positioning, not just relative to the enemy but your unit's direction and of course how much boost you're using. Good use of the stun to block melee a few times but be careful because, as I said, the super armor will only take you so far and it doesn't do any actual damage. Your funnel work is pretty good though.

Amish: When playing Cherudim, running away is your biggest priority and you should always try to maintain your distance so the enemy can't melee you. If you're playing with someone you trust and are good, you can be inside bait for your partner to get melee and cuts but if they aren't doing that, then stay away when fighting them. Staying close to them is important as well for protection.

SDN; Don't know if you're reading this but for IJ, using your boomerang and BR is a really good way of getting close to your opponent. Your usage of the boomerang is fine and if you manage to land it on an enemy, going in for the melee might not be a bad idea, assuming the boomer hits. If you're expecting to land melee, you'll also need to be closer in general. You can play IJ from a bit away but you lose a little bit of punch because of the distance/shielding/wathever. You should also use your CSa a bit more so particularly when trying to land hits on enemies that are touching down the ground.

I wasn't even in on those games and I'm burning these words into my brain as I read this. Especially that beam rifle x3 thing as the CPU lands it on me all the time yet I'm not consistently landing it on others yet.

And just like that I got 3 more emblems and 2 more trophies from Trial mode. Turns out that 2 of the 3 were requiring me to do most or all of the damage so turning off the CPU partner did the trick and the 3rd was just to finish in under 90 seconds. Woohoo!

JKTrix

Where is this store in NY?

I'm also in NY btw.
Kinokuniya across from Bryant Park in Manhattan. You can get there on the B,D,F,M trains. I had to hunt for it though, looked at pretty much every magazine they had crammed on the 'anime and games' corner. "Gundam" is one of those few things in Japanese I can recognize easily.

I'm no longer in NY, was just there for the holiday weekend. Back home (RI) now! Will be playing some tomorrow! I had my PS3 with me but didn't get to play much.

Thanks Shouta, though after my performance tonight I may be beyond help with ANY unit. Apologies to lostandconfused (especially) and anyone else who had the misfortune of being on my team tonight. I need a TON of practice...or maybe another hobby lol.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice

Thanks a lot for the analysis, and good games! I'll be heading into Free Battle to practice better Boost management and work on my facings.

amishpriest99 said:
Thanks Shouta, though after my performance tonight I may be beyond help with ANY unit. Apologies to lostandconfused (especially) and anyone else who had the misfortune of being on my team tonight. I need a TON of practice...or maybe another hobby lol.

Don't worry about it, Amish! I told you we all started out similarly; just keep on playing and you'll naturally get better. =)

I like to blame lag when things end up going badly. Stick with it.

JKTrix

Maybe a tip for facing;

I've mentioned a technique before for preserving your boost, where you tap the jump button (with neutral stick) at the end of your boost or step. When you're doing this post-boost jump, you can't change your facing.

However, if you hold down the jump button, you can move the stick to change your facing. Maybe a little much to think about when you're fighting, but even a little turn can prevent you from doing the shot where you are stuck in the air. Try messing with that.

Anyone want to help me with the 10 win streak trophy sometime tonight? I'll should be on no later than 9 eastern.

Going to lay off of Cherudim for awhile...I'm just not skilled enough to use it properly. I'm thinking I'll put more of a focus on the RX-78, Gunner Zaku, Strike and maybe Exia. My biggest issues seem to be boost management and playing field awareness in general. I always feel like I'm on the defensive and getting caught off guard.

I found that as well, I've managed to get in zero shuffle and... one hold... yeah thats not exactly the best record so far (at least I won the single match I got in to...)
I should probably try to play when more JPs are online for some ranked stuff as well.

Anybody planning on playing later on today?

Everyone got so much better than me! I'd be proud if I wasn't salty :(
etSUr.jpg

:p

gg tonight with everyone and thanks for hosting! A shame we couldn't get more in with the whole timing-out shenanigans in the end, heh.

So many God Gundams today though... xD

andymcc

Banned
Any other recs? I've only seen the original Gundam, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Turn A, and Wing.

Unicorn (though it's still ongoing) and some people like 00 (i didn't).

G Gundam is really fucking awesome and I'm kinda surprised you haven't watched it. To be fair, I'm watching Turn-A Gundam for the first time this week.

BTW, i finally got this game for X-Mas guys. I've been a little too pre-occupied with social/family stuff to really invest the time it deserves. Just been screwing around on the mission mode, which is pretty robust and impressive, way better than what I'm used to from my Crapcom fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom