• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eilegz

Banned
well got the game, im new here... im more into cooperative gameplay that i really enjoyed at gundam vs gundam plus (with adhoc) for psp.... im kinda disappointed that they dont have that option here...

And split screen its one of the worse in the serie, so much wasted space even on HDTV compared to ps2 versions

Anyways im wondering if all those new dlc are locked content on disc

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haha, really? I'm a beyond lapsed TM fan, but if the new one is good I might give it a try.

I stopped after 2, but the game is basically a huge time capsule. Some games feel like they were modernize but not this. It feels just like it used to, but yeah, the whole crazy arena combat style with missles everywhere is messing with my Gundam game style

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How do you guys stick to a core group of suits? There's so many. I tried picking one from each group based on their gauge, and that still leaves a truckload

NEO0MJ

How do you guys stick to a core group of suits? There's so many. I tried picking one from each group based on their gauge, and that still leaves a truckload

Playing with DLC suits makes me feel obligated to stick with them =D
At least, I think that's one of the reasons I use Zeong and the O a lot.

Also, good game guys. I felt like I was the weakest link at times, though. And I hated playing with 3000 units, I feel so burdened with that cost.

MechaX

You just kinda have to find one that sticks with you. Starting with your favorites is a good start, but even that can potentially backfire (I got this game with the mindset of playing nothing but Raphael and Kshatriya because I think Tieria and Marida are awesome; given how their units play, I would need to be really good first to even think about being effective with them). But just go pick units that you feel like you gel with, regardless of cost, and go from there.

I wouldn't have dreamt that I would like playing as Jesus Yamato, Crazy Woman (Katejina), and Inferior Lockon (Cheridum), but dem's the breaks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I pick suits based on design, their playstyle and how well I do with them.

I also try to avoid 3k and 1k suits, since they're usually too complicated for a beginner like me.

My current most common picks are:
Tallgeese (Dat tier whoring)
X1 (I suck with him but he's cool)
Cherudim (Same as above)
Sinanju (I actually do okay with him
Heavyarms (Itano circue)
Blue Frame (big swords are BIG)
Gunner Zaku (Luna is mah waifu)

Suits I'd play if they didn't blow so much:
Wing Zero
Kshatriya

Uguuuu, need to break for a day or something... but that probably isn't going to happen. xD

Ggs to everyone last night. I'm a freaking zombie at work right now thanks to Fundam.

Stop killing your self over time zone differences.

I got nine hours of sleep because all I did was get some quality Zeta time after coming home and then calling it an evening.

Can't help it, Fundam crack. Doesn't help the wife is doing the same thing with Assassin's Creed: Rev. next to me most of the time. xD

Uguuuu, need to break for a day or something... but that probably isn't going to happen. xD

Ggs to everyone last night. I'm a freaking zombie at work right now thanks to Fundam.

Speaking of which...

I'm keeping that as a reminder of my scrubbiness, and to change my blasted button configuration.

Also, I've been meaning to ask about something. Up until now, I thought that the DLC suits for Extreme Vs were being issued to keep the game on par with Full Boost; most of the units that were initially announced for Full Boost have made it over to PS3, except for the Strike Noir. But from what I've heard players from other sites say, they don't really think that we'll get anything beyond Strike Noir until the Full Boost port comes out in about a year or two, because Namco Bandai wants Full Boost to stay strong in arcades.

What do you guys think? Personally, I like the idea of DLC acting as a kind of revision in itself, but I wouldn't want to buy every suit; for those that would, I'd imagine that it would get pretty expensive after a substantial increase in suits (like, 5 or 6 on top of the 6 that we already have).

[
Also, I've been meaning to ask about something. Up until now, I thought that the DLC suits for Extreme Vs were being issued to keep the game on par with Full Boost; most of the units that were initially announced for Full Boost have made it over to PS3, except for the Strike Noir. But from what I've heard players from other sites say, they don't really think that we'll get anything beyond Strike Noir until the Full Boost port comes out in about a year or two, because Namco Bandai wants Full Boost to stay strong in arcades.

What do you guys think? Personally, I like the idea of DLC acting as a kind of revision in itself, but I wouldn't want to buy every suit; for those that would, I'd imagine that it would get pretty expensive after a substantial increase in suits (like, 5 or 6 on top of the 6 that we already have).

Arcades are still doing well in Japan. At some point we'll get cutoff with DLC (it may have already happened.) and have to wait a year or two for a home port while they make money on the arcade version.

ggundam-lastbreathatsunrise.jpg

NEO0MJ

Speaking of which...

I'm keeping that as a reminder of my scrubbiness, and to change my blasted button configuration.

I like that they zoomed in on you. Make sure that there was no mistake, YOU killed your team mate.

Also, GG guys. Donkey, you Gelgoog was so mean.
But can someone please tell me what I get so wrong when playing? I was the Zeong/The O player.

I like that they zoomed in on you. Make sure that there was no mistake, YOU killed your team mate.

Also, GG guys. Donkey, you Gelgoog was so mean.
But can someone please tell me what I get so wrong when playing? I was the Zeong/The O player.

:p

Well, I think you're too aggressive at the moment and you make your landings really easy to hit. Aside from that, you're doing really well. :)

Coxy

Fun stuff tonight guys.

I've been trying out some of the melee suits like Susano and red frame but I pretty much suck with them and I often find me and my team mate stabbing the shit out of each other, even if we try to aim for different targets, any tips or is this just what happens when you both try to go melee?

matmanx1

Mad fun tonight guys. Thanks a ton! I'm so glad I figured out I could run IRC on my Nook so I can chat with you all and get into the Gaf rooms and play on my TV/Monitor.

Playing with Gaf peeps is about infinity times more fun than playing with randoms and I really appreciate it. Also enjoyed getting to know F91 a little bit tonight in our games. I felt like I did ok with him except when I was up against the G Gundam guys who I always struggle against. That's what practice is for though, right!?

Quick question, anyone playing not a gundam fan? OP says this game goes beyond a fan service game but every poster seems involved in the franchise. I am considering the game but I barely know anything about gundam and I play fighting games casually (aka I don't know frame data or use spreadsheets to make combos) so I think I'd be wasting my money. Anyone else like me playing this game?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Quick question, anyone playing not a gundam fan? OP says this game goes beyond a fan service game but every poster seems involved in the franchise. I am considering the game but I barely know anything about gundam and I play fighting games casually (aka I don't know frame data or use spreadsheets to make combos) so I think I'd be wasting my money. Anyone else like me playing this game?

I don't like Gundam much at all. I've seen a single series (08) but I have almost zero interest in the universe. It's definitely fan servicey if you can identify the pilots and hope for DLC units you know and love, but I'm fine with just enjoying the game on its own.

Macross EXVS where?

I am a Gundam fan (and that probably doesn't help my point), but I got a few friends into the game, and they have no interest in the franchise whatsoever. They don't know any of the characters, they just play with whatever looks cool. At it's core, it's just a fun arcade shooting/fighting game, and although all the references and easter eggs that have been included are fun, they won't detract from your experience, and you don't have to be a fan to get into it.

And I don't think that you have to have a lot of technical knowledge to play the game; I don't know a lick of frame data or anything like that, and I hold my own just fine. I think the game's more about pacing yourself and making sure your shots count. There are some basic moves that take a bit of practice to get down, and most of the suits are unique, but once you get a few matches under your belt, you're good to go. Plus, most people play 2-on-2 online, so even if you're not all that great at first, a good player can save you every now and then :p

Honestly, if you like what you've seen of the game so far, I think you should go for it.

Macross EXVS where?

If they could replicate this scene in an EXVS like game... *jizz*

And yeah, the Frontier PSP/PS3 games do a decent job but it's not VS. =(

Side note: Max would handle most Gundam pilots in a heartbeat.

DeliciousDoc said:

There are a bunch of people who aren't into Gundam but are loving this game. EXVS on the top is like one of the ultimate Gundam fanservice games, but it's core does go way beyond it which is why it's been popular and gaining steam in the FGC in the west. Plus you don't need to be a frame data nerd to really enjoy it. Online is very input friendly and like Soused said, you don't have to be the best on your team to win. Knowing Gundam franchise intricacies does make it more awesome though. =)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only Gundam show I've actually watched from start to end was Wing, and this was some decade or so ago back on Toonami.

Jubern

Aaaaaaaand, here I am!

Account actived during the night, I just had to use my first post here.

Please go easy on me, Senpai-gata.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Going to try that Zeong thing next time. Think I'm going to stick to Blue Destiny and Zeong for now.

Also re: Macross PSP games. No Klein Klan no buy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I'm a Virtual On fan not a Gundam fan

Though I've watched a ton of Gundam, I don't really consider myself much a fan. My interest in the game stems solely from a gameplay standpoint, I loved Virtual On.

matmanx1

The gameplay is strong enough to stand on it's own even without the Gundam stuff. Knowing the Gundam stuff will probably increase your fun factor in a geeky sort of way but even without that knowledge the game is still incredible.

I am an admitted ADD sufferer when it comes to games as I can rarely stick to any of them for more than a few weeks unless it's a big meaty RPG and even then I tend to take lots of breaks to play other things. With EXVS I've barely played anything else since I got the game in the first part of December. And I still enjoy playing online and still have Trial Mode missions I've not yet passed and units I've yet to max out. There's lots of very good game under the hood here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom