• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll gladly eat crow when I hear it, but who the fuck really needs Lykke Li and FKA Twigs collabs with ASAP? Super unnecessary.

He's done quite a few remix collabs with pop singers since the album, like Lykke Li and Jessie Ware and a few others. His verses always felt out of place and basically ruined the tracks. His style just does not gel at all pretty pop music.

overcast

That's what I'm saying Snuggles. Those don't give me any hope.

Not sure where Mr. Wonderful ranks, I appreciate the weird ass psychedelic rock influence.

MoodyFog

fan of a fan: the album is still rap aoty

nQVFCbb.jpg

IrishNinja

City Boy Blues now the second best Action Bronson song behind Easy Rider. No discussion about this. Just facts now.
A Light in The Addict might be third.

the council quietly nods in approval

So Drake slept with Wayne's girl back in 2010 while dude was in jail doing a bid. Thats some Stringer Bell snake ass nicca shit. Not so much sleeping with a woman whose man is in jail, but betraying the trust of a friend and business partner.

chatty patty over here

hahaha...for real, if this is legit, you should slap yourself for not seeing drake as that typa snake...the man literally croons about it

City Boy Blues and Easy Rider take me to another time brehs. Just driving in the summer on the freeway, destination unknown, speed limit disregarded. Maybe I'm driving to a camping site with my girl. Maybe I'm giving a convict hitchhiker a ride. Maybe I'm a trucker who just of my dick sucked.

What a ride. Btw I hope yall are right about the mixing being a rip issue. Way too hot at various points.

been planning my ride to the southwest for my vision quest next birfday since easy rider video, still got like 9 months to learn biking better and step up my acid game fam

flawless

Only in America is the secret SSS-tier song on the album

i fucks with it but that hook isn't my favorite

Bronson a 6/10 comedian rapper no meat on these bones. Slightly better riff raff.

...this is where we part ways, my dude

BC2 > Saab Stories > Dr. Lecter > Mr. Wonderful > Rare Chandeliers > BC > Well Done

Well done is bronsons best album.

..finally, a cycle more interesting & offensive than yeezy

Just got Bloodborne brehs
fIcEWbk.png

Bought it from Cheddahz on eBay

That dick ain't freeeeeeeeeee

...dead, and the game aint eeen here yet sadly

i looove the overall vibe on mr. wonderful

psychedelic rock beats > jazz fusion

well sure but i love hearing both in 2015, especially this close together
makes so many friends on about how everything's trap/club/etc really look extra dusty too

Cheddahz

Banned
JayZ is the most annoying, untalented fucker alive. He's a business ENTREPRENEUR, not a rapper. Fuck Jay-Z. Most overrated garbage. Only thing he has that I envy about is money acquired through business entrepreneurship and Beyonce but his rapping skills is complete garbage. He would get smoked in cyphers today. Many underground rappers can crush him easily. Don't believe me? Immortal Technique. That's all I need to name and he'll smoke the living dogshit out of Jay-Z. And Immortal Technique is just one of many underground rappers who can smoke him. Necro is another.
Jay-Z can't rap and he sucks.

Well Done is a good project (Not Enough Words is top a 10 Bronson track), it's just not as interesting as some of his other ones musically or conceptually. Dr. Lecter has that great big band/jazzy/breakbeat vibe, the Blue Chips tapes have that 70s/80s "hot summer day and the radio is on" spontaneity, Rare Chandeliers has the Alchemist grimy off kilter sample sound with lots of different drum loops, and Mr. Wonderful is like a psychedelic rock-hop blues road trip. Well Done in comparison is just solid NYC hip-hop.

Rare Chandeliers = Mr. Wonderful = Dr. Lecter > Blue Chips > Blue Chips 2 > Well Done > Saaab Stories

RBK

Banned
Rare Chandeliers = Mr. Wonderful = Dr. Lecter > Blue Chips > Blue Chips 2 > Well Done > Saaab Stories

Drop Well Done and switch Blue Chips with Dr. Lecter and that's pretty much how I'll rank them.

Surprised everyone is overlooking Bon Appetit as well.

Dr Lechter's a bit high for my liking but yeah

I just love the production. It's very cohesive. Beautiful Music is still one of his best.

Surprised everyone is overlooking Bon Appetit as well.

I didn't overlook it, it just feels like an outlier. Kind of a compilation, kind of a mixtape, way too long, a few tracks that ended up on Dr. Lecter anyway....IDK. It's not a throwaway, but it would feel wrong to put it in a ranking. If I was forced it would go in front of Saaab Stories.

NC BBQ

rapsody-the-man-277x235.png

The Man

Director: Cam Be

Blue state rapper Rapsody releases the visuals for "The Man", the eight track off of Rapsody's Beauty & The Beast album that was released last year. I have to say this her best music video. "The Man" tells the story of a teen boy growing up with the absence of his father in a poverty stricken neighborhood. The video captures the theme and feel of this song more than any other music video from the artist. The video lays out the tale of a young man taking the role of head male figure of the household after his father leaves home abruptly at the age of thirteen. The video provides great parallels to the tracks lyrics, for instance...
"Daydreaming 'bout a life living just like Puff Combs
On his walk to the crib he always hear several blown
Tryna think positive, but everything's wrong
Why his daddy can't be at home and be the motherfucking (maaaaan)?"

In conjunction to these lyrics we see a flash repose of P. Diddy, a an art piece of a black man shooting himself in the head, and a poster from the movie Scarface. The Diddy imagery is obvious enough, but drawing of the man committing suicide is a bit less so. It conveys the notion of black men knowingly laying themselves to waste by putting themselves in lifestyles that ultimately put their lives at risk. This is also a foreshadowing to an event later in the video. The Scarface poster is representation of the power and sense of self worth and manhood that the character of this story desires just like Tony Montana did in said film.

The choice to go black and white was definitely the right one. The high contrast it provides gives a sense of gloom and noire to the video that further insinuates what you're supposed to feel while listening to the song. The editing in this film was also relatively well done and things flowed together efficiently as they should. This is the best music video of the year for me so far.

9.5/10

SkyBlew-250x250.png

The Grey Balloons
Another North Carolinian rapper Skyblew, drops the visuals for "The Grey Balloons" this month off of his album Window Seat On That Midnight Train which was released back in 2013. The choice for visuals in this video is animation and like a lot of other underground artists that do the same, the art and animation is a bit crude, but the art style in particular fits SkyBlew as it resembles cartoons from the 90's and SkyBlew's choice of focus on his nerdcore music is 90's cartoons. The video is rather simplistic with mostly images of a cartoon version of the rapper laying down the lyrics, with some grey balloons flying off in the distance and the lyrics to the refrain popping up. The track itself is definitely beautiful. A Jazz oriented instrumental with a substantial flow from SkyBlew that talks about his struggles in life and coming up as an artist. Overall the video itself is ok. The song itself is the meat here.

5/10

hqdefault.jpg

Soliloquy

Director: Poetic Death

Haling from Perris, California Poetic Death AKA Von Poe VII, gives to his fans a video for his track "Soliloquy" off his new album The Purity of Love and War. As always Death has excellent lighting and editing in his video, but it was rather lacking in other departments this time around. The track itself is about love and daily pains and struggles, but it doesn't really convey that within the video which is much of just him rapping to the camera and shots of who I think is his girlfriend and a rusty pick up truck at the end. It's an average music video.

5/10

jamal

Neo Member
Dr. Lecter is a personal favorite of mine. It's the perfect backdrop for cruising around Flushing, Queens. Only real misstep on the album is that reggae infused track. Otherwise probably Bronson's most consistent effort next to Well Done.

IrishNinja

fam this is why urbandictionary exists nahmean

keeps us cac's on fleek

Dr. Lecter is a personal favorite of mine. It's the perfect backdrop for cruising around Flushing, Queens. Only real misstep on the album is that reggae infused track. Otherwise probably Bronson's most consistent effort next to Well Done.

another one i should revisit, honestly its just that his style didnt take with me at first and the ghostface comparisons were too skrong going in, by chandeliers/blue chips it was clear they had nothing in common beyond the voice, and overall just felt long stronger efforts to me

PBY

Banned
theres some cavemanish gender/sexual orientation stuff happening on mr wonderful. i like the album, but that stuff sucks.

injurai

Banned
How can anyone live in a moderate sizeable town and not have a locally owned shop that makes cheaper and better pizza than Domino's.

No excuses if you live in NY, unless ya conceding to Chicago.
Caught Slippin'? Yup.

big ander

fam this is why urbandictionary exists nahmean

keeps us cac's on fleek
exactly. I need to know slang just to engage with all my favorite brands

theres some cavemanish gender/sexual orientation stuff happening on mr wonderful. i like the album, but that stuff sucks.
I haven't listened to Mr. Wonderful yet but is it markedly different from the material across Bronson's discog? man's always spoken wild/wrong words about lgbt and women, but I've found it more than easy enough to take in because his songs are firmly in the exploitation genre. As in, it's never as simple as gay people being the punchline in his music, he offends all around and through such surreal storytelling that I find it more acceptable than a lot of his peers, who might throw in a shady as shit line and not really be conscious of it. Bronson knows he's being grody.

The dude's a walking exploitation movie, political incorrectness and all. I'm not making excuses for any of it but it's been happening since day 1.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ big ander spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom