• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Beast Mode is great and Monster is pretty okay but Astronaut Status is still the best.

I know

kZIu0Zv.gif

I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly is the album I wanted in 2014 as I watched so much racial fuckery explode across the country. Instead of directly addressing a laundry list of the things that have happened over the last few years, Kendrick turns his focus inside. Much like Richard Wright and a host of other black writers he's concerned with understanding his own soul, his vices, his weaknesses, and how they relate to his community as a whole.

It's an ambitious album that could have easily missed its target with overly preachy lyricism or a boring narrative. Kendrick avoids this by putting his contradictions on full display, refusing to provide direct answers to the questions he raises, and rocking over some truly amazing production. The album touches nearly every aspect of black music with effortless precision. The funk of Wesley Snipes, the slam poetry of For Free, the r&b vibes of You Ain't Gotta Life...you can't pull this off without being a great, versatile artist. Throughout the album he displays near perfect control of his voice as an instrument, bending and strangling it to whatever emotion is required.

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album. More impressively, the standout tracks aren't just standouts - they're some of Kendrick's best songs. These Walls (which reminds me of Stevie Wonder), the Dilla-esque marvel that is Momma, Hood Politics, and How Much A Dollar Cost - Kendrick's best song, period. The depressing u, the rage of The Blacker The Berry...there are too many standouts here.

And then he tops it off with Mortal Man. I've been a 2pac stan since I was a kid, I cried when he died...and I have no qualms about admitting Mortal Man brought water to my eyes. As with GKMC I haven't really found any urge to skip the skits throughout the album, or the long dialogue on this particular track. And each time it hits me in the gut.

After GKMC I reserved my expectations for its followup. I figured it would be good, but didn't expect it to surpass or match GKMC. Yet the more I listen to TPAB the more I want to declare it superior. I'm not there yet, but I strongly believe its standout tracks are better, and the songwriting is better. And I prefer the organic production. Regardless both are two of the best rap albums of the last decade. Kendrick could have easily given us GKMC 2.0, and I doubt fans would be disappointed in that. Instead he gave us the rap Sign O The Times.

9.5/10

I think this is the TPAB review I've enjoyed the most. Agree with a lot, gave me a bunch to think about, and almost fell out of my chair when I read:

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album.

DIS

DICK

AIN'T

FRRRRReeEEEeeeE

Pretty close to how I feel about TPAB right now though. I do see a lot more flaws in it and I wouldn't give it a particularly high score objectively...but it's still my favorite Kendrick album.

grief video is great. perfect to watch so late in the night. i don't like shit, i don't go outside not only sounds like a hilarious album title but I think it might be pretty good tbh.

oh and for the record playing that easy rider guitar riff in the track before it on mr. wonderful is so good, that shit is crawling up to become the best action bronson song of all time. it's got such a dope vibe to it. its like ennio morricone wanted to make hip hop.

music is love in Q1. I haven't even checked out the new future yet.

Nibel

I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly is the album I wanted in 2014 as I watched so much racial fuckery explode across the country. Instead of directly addressing a laundry list of the things that have happened over the last few years, Kendrick turns his focus inside. Much like Richard Wright and a host of other black writers he's concerned with understanding his own soul, his vices, his weaknesses, and how they relate to his community as a whole.

It's an ambitious album that could have easily missed its target with overly preachy lyricism or a boring narrative. Kendrick avoids this by putting his contradictions on full display, refusing to provide direct answers to the questions he raises, and rocking over some truly amazing production. The album touches nearly every aspect of black music with effortless precision. The funk of Wesley Snipes, the slam poetry of For Free, the r&b vibes of You Ain't Gotta Life...you can't pull this off without being a great, versatile artist. Throughout the album he displays near perfect control of his voice as an instrument, bending and strangling it to whatever emotion is required.

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album. More impressively, the standout tracks aren't just standouts - they're some of Kendrick's best songs. These Walls (which reminds me of Stevie Wonder), the Dilla-esque marvel that is Momma, Hood Politics, and How Much A Dollar Cost - Kendrick's best song, period. The depressing u, the rage of The Blacker The Berry...there are too many standouts here.

And then he tops it off with Mortal Man. I've been a 2pac stan since I was a kid, I cried when he died...and I have no qualms about admitting Mortal Man brought water to my eyes. As with GKMC I haven't really found any urge to skip the skits throughout the album, or the long dialogue on this particular track. And each time it hits me in the gut.

After GKMC I reserved my expectations for its followup. I figured it would be good, but didn't expect it to surpass or match GKMC. Yet the more I listen to TPAB the more I want to declare it superior. I'm not there yet, but I strongly believe its standout tracks are better, and the songwriting is better. And I prefer the organic production. Regardless both are two of the best rap albums of the last decade. Kendrick could have easily given us GKMC 2.0, and I doubt fans would be disappointed in that. Instead he gave us the rap Sign O The Times.

9.5/10

After dozens more of listens, I completely agree. Well written review.

DominoKid

Honestly if it wasnt for Monster I'd say Future has lost it. He really shouldnt make these small tapes where most of the beats are by one dude. Unless its with an A-list trap talent like Metro, Mike Will or the 808 Mafia as a crew.

Cats like Zay and Southside sounds just arent diverse enough and Future is too quick to fall back into his go-to deliveries for their sounds.

codhand

oh and for the record playing that easy rider guitar riff in the track before it on mr. wonderful is so good, that shit is crawling up to become the best action bronson song of all time. it's got such a dope vibe to it. its like ennio morricone wanted to make hip hop.

I decided (based on disco's comment) to finally upload some Turkish Instrumentals we did back in 2010

I produced a majority of it: 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, and 13 still trying to find a couple more we lost, and might update but

if anyone is interested, it's free

Myggen

9.5/10

This is a damn fine review, completely agree.

Last week's numbers, they got Kendrick estimated at 350-400k. GKMC debuted @ 275k first week.

1) Drake— If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late: Drake continues to call the #4 spot on the Billboard 200 home. The OVO rapper is unmoved this week, after selling and streaming another 72,878 copies (sales: 38,950). His total sales have reached 721,454.

2) Big Sean— Dark Sky Paradise: After making a Billboard entrance at #1, Big Sean drops this week to #6 with DSP selling/streaming 57,516 units (sales: 35,359). Total sales for the third album fom the Detroit rapper are at 174,786. Will he be able to stay afloat in the long run?

3) Nicki Minaj—The Pinkprint: Nicki’s album isn’t descending without a fight, this week dropping just one spot to #13. The Pinkprint moved 34,501 copies (sales: 12,164). Her total sales surpassed half a million, at 552,772.

4) Chris Brown & Tyga— Fan Of A Fan: The Album: The Breezy and T-Raww collaborative album hasn’t really been able to hold up in its second week, despite the strength of the two names attached to it. Nonetheless Fan Of A Fan sold and streamed a combined 21,823 units (sales: 12,781). This brings their total number to 64,126. (LOL AT THIS WACK ASS GARBAGE)

5) J. Cole—2014 Forest Hills Drive: As we head into the summer, it’s still a Cole World. The rapper’s acclaimed album falls just three spots this week to #25, after spending 13 weeks on the charts. Cole did 20,919 units this week (sales: 13,612), with total sales rising to 815,302.

6) G-Unit— The Beast Is G-Unit EP: The newly-reunited Unit dropped off their second EP recently, making their Billboard 200 debut this week at #27. While it’s not the numbers they’re probably used too, it’s agood start as they get back into the rap game. G-Unit sold/streamed 18,542 opening week (sales: 17,639).

7) Rae Sremmurd— SremmLife: Rae Sremmurd are back up this week after dropping to #36 last week. Sitting at #30, the brothers moved another 17,516 units, a number largely accounted for by streams (sales: 8,405). Total sales for the debut album are nearing 100k, at 89,941.

8) Ne-Yo—Non-Fiction: Ne-Yo’s new album comes in below Rae Sremmurd at #33, after charting for six weeks. The r’n’b veteran sold and streamed 15,047 (sales: 7,514) this past week. His total sales are 108,601.

I know ya'll peeped the snippet of Weeknd's new joint. *wipes brow twice* Shit sounds so dope!

Sir Flacko Joyde says his album is done so it should be dropping in the next month or so.

Courage

How is it Courage?

I like it but it's kicking my ass relentlessly. I think this is the dreadful adjusting period for me to get used to how Souls games operate. Never played a game that required this much patience from me just to barely progress.

PBY

Banned
I like it but it's kicking my ass relentlessly. I think this is the dreadful adjusting period for me to get used to how Souls games operate. Never played a game that required this much patience for me just to barely progress.
This ur first souls game?

Vorheez

I like it but it's kicking my ass relentlessly. I think this is the dreadful adjusting period for me to get used to how Souls games operate. Never played a game that required this much patience from me just to barely progress.
Sounds amazing. Haha, you'll get it, just keep picking away at it. When I first played demons souls I was having the same issues, but eventually I got into a rhythm that I've maintained throughout the subsequent games which has made it significantly easier. You just get a "feel" for it eventually, which takes awhile because these games are unlike anything else out there.

Vorheez

How is Ferg forever?
Meh, there are some highlights, but it mostly seems like he didn't want to do it. Almost as if he felt obligated to release something because it had been awhile since Trap Lord. It's unfocused and all over the place, but he still comes with that same high energy and it is worth a download overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom