• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorheez

How can anyone live in a moderate sizeable town and not have a locally owned shop that makes cheaper and better pizza than Domino's.

No excuses if you live in NY, unless ya conceding to Chicago.
Caught Slippin'? Yup.
This

I live in a shithole that's frozen 8 months outta the year and even I can do better than domino's. Step your game up courage

Trey

look at bronson & expect progressive lyrics brehs

Nah, but it's fair to knock em for it. Saying he's exploitative or whatever doesn't get rid of the dirt, just sweeps it (badly) under the rug.

Just keep it G and say you don't mind it. aint gotta try to pretty it up, lol.

overcast

You guys taking dominos that serious? It's like fast food, sometimes you gotta spend 7.99 for something to get your quick fix. Of course you can you do better, but let a man live.

Courage

Nah, but it's fair to knock em for it. Saying he's exploitative or whatever doesn't get rid of the dirt, just sweeps it (badly) under the rug.

I don't think Irish implied otherwise. It's just that he's been doing this for his whole career.

It's not about sweeping stuff under the rug or prettying it up, it's literally exploitation rap. There's a difference between being offensive and being offensive. All of his verses are like a self-aware, sleazy, non-sequitur montage of grindhouse moments and language. It's trashy and that's kinda the point.

big ander

don't think it's prettying it up though. And with Bronson I really don't mind it the way I might in other rapper's songs.

the movie analogy is good to run with. I'd much rather have a go-for-broke grindhouse movie or a messed-up but fun to watch De Palma or Friedkin or Scorsese movie than something playing at being more respectable that is covertly as or more fucked up (see: Zemeckis, O'Russel). the latter is poison, the former puts its incorrectness in your face.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
i'm not exactly looking to a dude going by the name of Action Bronson for social commentary lol

i agree that it's a little unnecessary tho

Dereck

I liked it a lot back in middle school, recently dug up the song, trying to figure out if I still like it or not, if it's based on nostalgia or the song actually being good.

Hood Hop was one of songs that was always bouncing around in my head around 04-06 for some reason. Like every few months I'd bang on a counter top or something and 50/50 chance it would be Grindin' or Hood Hop. Really weird which songs stick with you like that.

1669830_10155275463255534_4848983500247934039_o.jpg

Between Friends

Director: Tommy Nova

Sa-Roc brings the first video after the release of Legend of Black Moses. The music video evokes the tranquil vibes emulated from the Flying Lotus instrumental, featuring slow pans, transitions, images of candles, incense, and a Buddhist statue. I felt this was one of the best choices to make a music video out of the mixtape as it is one of the best lyrically and production-wise on the tape. Sa-Roc lyrics and flow are as solid as ever in this and this speaks messages of self-worth and keeping from being obsessed to be like others. The ever present Afrocentrism remains as expected. Live up to the best that you can be. Overall the video was pretty standard. It's still within the average realm, but it peaks out a little extra points for me as I had some connection to the song through the video.

5.5/10

I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly is the album I wanted in 2014 as I watched so much racial fuckery explode across the country. Instead of directly addressing a laundry list of the things that have happened over the last few years, Kendrick turns his focus inside. Much like Richard Wright and a host of other black writers he's concerned with understanding his own soul, his vices, his weaknesses, and how they relate to his community as a whole.

It's an ambitious album that could have easily missed its target with overly preachy lyricism or a boring narrative. Kendrick avoids this by putting his contradictions on full display, refusing to provide direct answers to the questions he raises, and rocking over some truly amazing production. The album touches nearly every aspect of black music with effortless precision. The funk of Wesley Snipes, the slam poetry of For Free, the r&b vibes of You Ain't Gotta Life...you can't pull this off without being a great, versatile artist. Throughout the album he displays near perfect control of his voice as an instrument, bending and strangling it to whatever emotion is required.

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album. More impressively, the standout tracks aren't just standouts - they're some of Kendrick's best songs. These Walls (which reminds me of Stevie Wonder), the Dilla-esque marvel that is Momma, Hood Politics, and How Much A Dollar Cost - Kendrick's best song, period. The depressing u, the rage of The Blacker The Berry...there are too many standouts here.

And then he tops it off with Mortal Man. I've been a 2pac stan since I was a kid, I cried when he died...and I have no qualms about admitting Mortal Man brought water to my eyes. As with GKMC I haven't really found any urge to skip the skits throughout the album, or the long dialogue on this particular track. And each time it hits me in the gut.

After GKMC I reserved my expectations for its followup. I figured it would be good, but didn't expect it to surpass or match GKMC. Yet the more I listen to TPAB the more I want to declare it superior. I'm not there yet, but I strongly believe its standout tracks are better, and the songwriting is better. And I prefer the organic production. Regardless both are two of the best rap albums of the last decade. Kendrick could have easily given us GKMC 2.0, and I doubt fans would be disappointed in that. Instead he gave us the rap Sign O The Times.

9.5/10

HiResDes

I usually drink Sauza, it's pretty damn cheap and it taste really good to me. The Anejo especially. Silvercoin is even better, but can be harder to find around here.

HiResDes

Vodka is behind good Tequila. Even the best Vodka simply doesn't taste like much, and that's kind of its job. Not to taste like much.

HiResDes

What the fuck were ya'll expecting from Bronson? I'm reading all of these impressions and brehs sound disappointed when it's exactly what I expected and what he promised pretty much. Did you expect Bronson to transform into a political conscious rapper. Were you expecting him to craft a white power concept album using all of the genres that white people cultivated (ripped) from black musicians? Brehs on that I guess Terry, Acting Crazy, and City Boy Blues, Baby Blue, A Light in the Addict, Only in America, and Galactic Love are alright...Naming like 3/4s the album.
5NYTf.jpg

I don't even get all of the Blue Chips love especially in comparison to this, shit sounds way more polished to my ears, and the source material is better than that 80s billboard top twenty bullshit he was using as samples without even really flipping em on some bootleg Ghostface shit forreal.

...Unrelated, big ups to Esch's Dame impersonation, shit had me rolling.

RBK

Banned
Well To Pimp a Butterfly just released, people not in their right minds.

Would just like to take the time out again to say Blue Chips 2 is middling.

Expecting social commentary from Action Bronson is like wanting lyrical diversity from Roc Marciano. I think it would be cool if both gave us more of a glimpse into their personal lives instead of nonstop super hero (or super thug) antics...but ultimately they're good at what they do, and I'm not really complaining. Ironically some of their best tracks are introspective (Thug's Prayer I & II, Thug Love Story 2012, A Light In The Addict, etc).

Called the cops, said I beat her face
Beat the case now I shiver at a sweet embrace

that lines gives me chills brehs. Maybe if these guys worked with producers instead of beat makers we might see something more honest but at the end of the day I'm not going to knock them for being dope at what they do, and sticking to it.

It's the same thing with Sean Price. My inner rap nerd music producer wants to hear him rap about being a father, to see the #duality of being a rugged dude who loves his little girl...but Sean Price is always going to rap about beating men with his hands brehs.

I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly is the album I wanted in 2014 as I watched so much racial fuckery explode across the country. Instead of directly addressing a laundry list of the things that have happened over the last few years, Kendrick turns his focus inside. Much like Richard Wright and a host of other black writers he's concerned with understanding his own soul, his vices, his weaknesses, and how they relate to his community as a whole.

It's an ambitious album that could have easily missed its target with overly preachy lyricism or a boring narrative. Kendrick avoids this by putting his contradictions on full display, refusing to provide direct answers to the questions he raises, and rocking over some truly amazing production. The album touches nearly every aspect of black music with effortless precision. The funk of Wesley Snipes, the slam poetry of For Free, the r&b vibes of You Ain't Gotta Life...you can't pull this off without being a great, versatile artist. Throughout the album he displays near perfect control of his voice as an instrument, bending and strangling it to whatever emotion is required.

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album. More impressively, the standout tracks aren't just standouts - they're some of Kendrick's best songs. These Walls (which reminds me of Stevie Wonder), the Dilla-esque marvel that is Momma, Hood Politics, and How Much A Dollar Cost - Kendrick's best song, period. The depressing u, the rage of The Blacker The Berry...there are too many standouts here.

And then he tops it off with Mortal Man. I've been a 2pac stan since I was a kid, I cried when he died...and I have no qualms about admitting Mortal Man brought water to my eyes. As with GKMC I haven't really found any urge to skip the skits throughout the album, or the long dialogue on this particular track. And each time it hits me in the gut.

After GKMC I reserved my expectations for its followup. I figured it would be good, but didn't expect it to surpass or match GKMC. Yet the more I listen to TPAB the more I want to declare it superior. I'm not there yet, but I strongly believe its standout tracks are better, and the songwriting is better. And I prefer the organic production. Regardless both are two of the best rap albums of the last decade. Kendrick could have easily given us GKMC 2.0, and I doubt fans would be disappointed in that. Instead he gave us the rap Sign O The Times.

9.5/10

I completely agree with this review.

Remark

Banned
FUTURE JUST DROPPED A TAPE OUT OF NOWHERE AND ITS BETTER THAN BEAST MODE HOLLLLLLYYYY SHIT

ITS CALLED "56 NIGHTS" ON LIVEMIXTAPES GO GET THAT SHIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom