• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
CApjdQ2VIAABed-.jpg:large

vOONh7v.png

T Dollarz

Yessir.
I think I fuck with more Alc shit than any other active producer right now, dude's consistency is on point and has been for more than a decade. And nobody flips old rock and 80s pop samples like him.

Totally agree. His catalog of the last 5 years alone is so dense.

I swear Mike Will keeps those dudes on lock down 24/7 as if he's afraid they might call protective services (or Perverted Justice). They can't do shit without him being there.

injurai

Banned
I swear Mike Will keeps those dudes on lock down 24/7 as if he's afraid they might call protective services (or Perverted Justice). They can't do shit without him being there.

Nothing to do with them getting caught up in self-destructive shit, or end up being taken advantage of.

Booshka

I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly is the album I wanted in 2014 as I watched so much racial fuckery explode across the country. Instead of directly addressing a laundry list of the things that have happened over the last few years, Kendrick turns his focus inside. Much like Richard Wright and a host of other black writers he's concerned with understanding his own soul, his vices, his weaknesses, and how they relate to his community as a whole.

It's an ambitious album that could have easily missed its target with overly preachy lyricism or a boring narrative. Kendrick avoids this by putting his contradictions on full display, refusing to provide direct answers to the questions he raises, and rocking over some truly amazing production. The album touches nearly every aspect of black music with effortless precision. The funk of Wesley Snipes, the slam poetry of For Free, the r&b vibes of You Ain't Gotta Life...you can't pull this off without being a great, versatile artist. Throughout the album he displays near perfect control of his voice as an instrument, bending and strangling it to whatever emotion is required.

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album. More impressively, the standout tracks aren't just standouts - they're some of Kendrick's best songs. These Walls (which reminds me of Stevie Wonder), the Dilla-esque marvel that is Momma, Hood Politics, and How Much A Dollar Cost - Kendrick's best song, period. The depressing u, the rage of The Blacker The Berry...there are too many standouts here.

And then he tops it off with Mortal Man. I've been a 2pac stan since I was a kid, I cried when he died...and I have no qualms about admitting Mortal Man brought water to my eyes. As with GKMC I haven't really found any urge to skip the skits throughout the album, or the long dialogue on this particular track. And each time it hits me in the gut.

After GKMC I reserved my expectations for its followup. I figured it would be good, but didn't expect it to surpass or match GKMC. Yet the more I listen to TPAB the more I want to declare it superior. I'm not there yet, but I strongly believe its standout tracks are better, and the songwriting is better. And I prefer the organic production. Regardless both are two of the best rap albums of the last decade. Kendrick could have easily given us GKMC 2.0, and I doubt fans would be disappointed in that. Instead he gave us the rap Sign O The Times.

9.5/10
This is 100% how I feel, I love this album, I've gone through it in full over a dozen times. I don't have the urge to skip skits or songs, I listen to it fully as a complete album. I love all the musical genres it borrows from and showcases, it covers the gamut. Funk, Soul, R&B, Free and Fusion Jazz, G-Funk, hard, bassy beats (almost bangers), etc.

It's a super dense album that has a ton of replayability, lyrically and musically.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think almost every point PD made in his TPAB review is a negative for me ATM.

Gonna let the album sit a bit longer before I give it a proper breakdown, but c'mon PD you know you're bugging with some of those points on his voice as an instrument and there not being a bad song on there.

Gonna let the album sit a bit longer before I give it a proper breakdown, but c'mon PD you know you're bugging with some of those points on his voice as an instrument and there not being a bad song on there.

I've been listening to him for awhile, I'm used to the voice. And even before I stumbled across Kendrick I was familiar with others who did similar shit with their voice - DMX, Suga Free, Andre 3000, etc so it was nothing new. Initially my only voice complaint was the end of Momma. I don't like how the pitch goes up towards the end.

In terms of bad songs I stand by that statement although I know some will disagree. I really like For Free. Not saying I listen to that song everytime I play parts of the album, just that I think the concept is dope and like how he approaches the production. Really gives me slam poetry vibes, and perhaps the most contemporary example of that is Def Jam Poetry. I like shit like that. Dude is riding a free jazz vibe perfectly. Even on just a rap level it's pretty damn impressive. That being said I understand why that song in particular would turn people off.

IMO the weakest song is Institutionalized, mainly due to Anna Wise's "massa take the chains off me." It improves when Snoop shows up and Kendrick starts spitting more conventionally.

overcast

He's definitely not incorrect here, I agree 100% Kendrick has always done some good things with his voice, and he takes it even further here. Much better than simply angry rapping bars that a lot were worried about.

I decided (based on disco's comment) to finally upload some Turkish Instrumentals we did back in 2010

I produced a majority of it: 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, and 13 still trying to find a couple more we lost, and might update but

if anyone is interested, it's free

aye if you rework the drums (they're kind of weak and tinny) on track 4 then that could really be a russian roullette tier track man. it's nice.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You don't SMH when Travis Scott continue to ape Future's ad libs do you? Because he sure does it a lot. Just sayin
Nah that's one of those things when an artist breaks out and does his thing and it's okay and cool, but then another artist perfects the formula after years of the originator not really doing much with it. Goes without saying for pretty much every Future-esque artist bar PARTYNEXTDOOR.

#ohno

Supa Hot Fire vs. Hopsin

it's terrible don't watch it
How do you have Daylyt in your video and not have him do some fuckshit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom