• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How long is Hotline Miami 2? What I played was fun though, definitely had to learn to lure opponents though usually a level has enough guns where you can just go through spraying (despite me preferring melee).

Man I have way too many games sitting in my backlog.

How long is Hotline Miami 2? What I played was fun though, definitely had to learn to lure opponents though usually a level has enough guns where you can just go through spraying (despite me preferring melee).

Man I have way too many games sitting in my backlog.

uhhhh is there a way to check on ps4?
either way im sure it's shorter than any other game in your backlog haha

bloodborne will likely be my next game, but right now cities skylines is sucking all of my free time
pause
. throw on some albums or podcasts and three hours go by in the blink of an eye.

PBY

Banned
Is it where the guys are around the fire? Try attracting them one by one and focus on rushing the guys with the guns whenever you can.
Yeah I can clear that out. Then I get to the boss or the bigger dudes and I get fuuuuucked. Already unlocked the other lantwrn.

Courage

Yeah I can clear that out. Then I get to the boss or the bigger dudes and I get fuuuuucked. Already unlocked the other lantwrn.

Cleric Beast wasn't that bad for me, you just gotta time the dodges perfectly. I don't think you need to beat him to progress, you gotta get to some sewer area and take out a huge ass pig in a tunnel and it'll get you to the next part. You gotta drop down to the side of the bridge where the Cleric Beast is and it'll lead you to an underground area.

Fjordson

Spent 5 hours in first BBorne area. Haven't advanced or levelled. Might not be for me.
Lmao. That's how it'll probably go for me.

I enjoyed Dark Souls, liked the way it controlled and the atmosphere / enemy design, but I sucked at it and sort of lost interest after 7-8 hours. Think I'm just too soft for these games.

yeah, I listened to 7 Day Theory the other day and was surprised by how well it holds up.

Toss It Up is still
r9dE20Z.gif

Yup Me Against the World and 7 Day are the goat Pac albums and they stay in my rotation.

Lmao. That's how it'll probably go for me.

I enjoyed Dark Souls, liked the way it controlled and the atmosphere / enemy design, but I sucked at it and sort of lost interest after 7-8 hours. Think I'm just too soft for these games.

Yeah the art style and general atmosphere of the game is so good but this shit is just too frustrating for me

I wish a devil may cry/ninja Gaiden style game had these art guys on it

Fjordson

Yeah the art style and general atmosphere of the game is so good but this shit is just too frustrating for me

I wish a devil may cry/ninja Gaiden style game had these art guys on it
Same here.

Creatively, I love everything about the Souls games. Even what little story I was able to pick up through NPC conversations was interesting. I just felt kinda overwhelmed after a while with the difficulty. I'll try out Bloodborne next week though, hopefully I can get into it.

Gonna be busy with that and that Borderlands collection for PS4. Love the first Borderlands, but never played 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Same here.

Creatively, I love everything about the Souls games. Even what little story I was able to pick up through NPC conversations was interesting. I just felt kinda overwhelmed after a while with the difficulty. I'll try out Bloodborne next week though, hopefully I can get into it.

Gonna be busy with that and that Borderlands collection for PS4. Love the first Borderlands, but never played 2.
Man, are you in for a treat. Gameplay is so much better in 2 it's like night and day.

i miss Ninja Gaiden
Yep.

Courage

I'd love another good Ninja Gaiden game. I actually liked 2 in spite of its cheapness. Black is still top 5 of the genre tho.

Booshka

How you guys handling Ninja Gaiden Black and NG2, but getting tossed around by Bloodborne/Souls? Combat isn't that hard, just takes time to learn, like Ninja Gaiden did.

Old and Soft

There is always youtube and twitch for Video Game tourism at least.

RBK

Banned
There's a lot more I've seen in my short time with Dark Souls that makes it's way more difficulty than NG 1/2 ever were.

Courage

How you guys handling Ninja Gaiden Black and NG2, but getting tossed around by Bloodborne/Souls? Combat isn't that hard, just takes time to learn, like Ninja Gaiden did.

Old and Soft

I was younger and more eager
and had more time
to learn. I still like Bloodborne.

HiResDes

The controls and gameplay of Ninja Gaiden when the camera isn't an obstacle is much more fluid and intuitive than the Souls games, which feel as if you're plodding through tar at times. Also level design and pace of the game ultimately is so much more fun if we're even gonna compare the games from vastly different genres. Therefore making the incentive and reward for being good in Ninja Gaiden much greater. I got so desensitized to dying and not being able to make it to campfires that I stopped caring about the Souls games entirely. It just didn't seem all too fun to me. And though people will deny it some parts definitely seemed like trial and error. As hard as Ninja Gaiden I never felt like an underdog once I got good, but rather an unstoppable force just dreaming of new angles to unleash my devastation.

RBK

Banned
I got so desensitized to dying and not being able to make it to campfires that I stopped caring about the Souls games entirely. It just didn't seem all too fun to me. And though people will deny it some parts definitely seemed like trial and error. As hard as Ninja Gaiden I never felt like an underdog once I got good, but rather an unstoppable force just dreaming of new angles to unleash my devastation.

Only interest I have in Bloodborne is because of the hype. From everything I've seen and heard, it's doesn't do much to differentiate from the Souls series.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The trial and error thing really is a misnomer for just learning patience. I don't think the Souls games even have a learning curve, you just have to learn to not treat it like every other game where you know the game will pat you on the back no matter the outcome when you take a risk. It's what it really reduces into. You can absolutely wreck your way through the game if you have patience and are willing to feel out an enemy before you act. The latter part is pretty much where you get the divide between Souls and any other game with perceived difficulty, and what makes it satisfying when it really is your intelligence as opposed to tools/mechanics that gets you through an obstacle. And yes, this all does apply towards portions of the game where you get ambushed (which is not unique to Dark Souls either, except in Souls it really does feel like an ambush).

People definitely overrate the games on GAF, but a lot of the criticisms really come down to a refusal to change habits and learn about combat tactically. They're not games that have the edges smoothed so they can be played in a wide variety of ways, and if that's not you then that's fine too. I still haven't finished Dark Souls, mostly because I found myself enjoying it more with a guide than without, and that was a first for me. Don't think I will. Might pick up Bloodborne if the PS4 drought gets bad, but I think the spring has some more interesting indie games coming.

Every single thing about Bloodborne looks to be an improvement over the Souls titles from an action game fan perspective. Animations, combat speed, defensive style (fast dodging + parrying vs. slower sword and board turtling), movesets, weapon design, encounter design, etc. If there was ever a time for the Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Bayonetta crowd to give these games a real shot, it's now. Plus the world, art, and enemy design are heads and shoulders above anything they've done before. Victorian Gothic horror = lawwwd gimme an artbook.

RBK

Banned
The trial and error thing really is a misnomer for just learning patience. I don't think the Souls games even have a learning curve, you just have to learn to not treat it like every other game where you know the game will pat you on the back no matter the outcome when you take a risk.

I'm not going to say I didn't like what I played, but there's definitely a learning curve or trial and error segments.

If someone wants to tell me they beat the first boss of DS1 within their first 3 attempts, I would call them a liar.

Fjordson

Old and Soft

Well I played Black 11 years ago :lol I could grind away at a game like that and not care. I just didn't get frustrated as easily when I was younger (and wasn't married / worked part-time at most).

I don't game nearly as much now as I did in high school / college. Guess I'm starting to become a dirty casual.

injurai

Banned
Every single thing about Bloodborne looks to be an improvement over the Souls titles from an action game fan perspective. Animations, combat speed, defensive style (fast dodging + parrying vs. slower sword and board turtling), movesets, weapon design, encounter design, etc. If there was ever a time for the Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Bayonetta crowd to give these games a real shot, it's now. Plus the world, art, and enemy design are heads and shoulders above anything they've done before. Victorian Gothic horror = lawwwd gimme an artbook.

I agree on these points. The appeal of Demon's Souls was that it was extremely hard. It wasn't good design, but there was an intrinsic reward for overcoming it. Something that was lacking in most games at that time. Enough was down well enough, but it wasn't without it's jank.

Bloodborne looks like a more fully realized gameplay system set around similar difficulty/reward designs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I'm not going to say I didn't like what I played, but there's definitely a learning curve or trial and error segments.

If someone wants to tell me they beat the first boss of DS1 within their first 3 attempts, I would call them a liar.
It's not a curve, because there really is only one thing to learn. And that's to be patient and not think you're a god walking into any environment or scenario, which I don't think is too much to ask of the player.

Also I think I beat the first Dark Soul boss in 2 tries. The Capra Demon or whatever though? Fuck that guy.

I'm not really an action aficionado either, but this gives me hope that Bloodborne is more my tempo. I always thought the combat was a pretty good basis for evolution but they kind of stood in the same place.

Booshka

It's not a curve, because there really is only one thing to learn. And that's to be patient and not think you're a god walking into any environment or scenario, which I don't think is too much to ask of the player.

Also I think I beat the first Dark Soul boss in 2 tries. The Capra Demon or whatever though? Fuck that guy.

I'm not really an action aficionado either, but this gives me hope that Bloodborne is more my tempo. I always thought the combat was a pretty good basis for evolution but they kind of stood in the same place.

and equip load, controls, attacks and timing, enemy patterns and aggro, rolls, i-frames, backstabs, parries/riposte, kick, plunging attacks/jump attacks, pulling enemies from range, stat requirements for weapons and magic, attuning magic, bonfire kindling, humanity/hollowing, 2 handing, stamina management, reading item descriptions, etc.

but ya, no learning curve.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
and equip load, controls, attacks and timing, enemy patterns and aggro, rolls, i-frames, backstabs, parries/riposte, kick, plunging attacks/jump attacks, pulling enemies from range, stat requirements for weapons and magic, attuning magic, bonfire kindling, humanity/hollowing, 2 handing, stamina management, reading item descriptions, etc.

but ya, no learning curve.
Okay I concede, there's still mechanics to learn, and definitely a lot of them, so that definitely has a learning curve. Most of that shit isn't really exclusive to even RPGs anymore, though. To get your feet wet in DS games, I don't think any of those are too much to ask for a player and/or are the reasons behind the criticism I was addressing of the so called bullshit that the Souls games have, namely the encounter design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom