• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
because if you call it an album like the way it was released you have to acknowledge that drake released a middling ass album of throwaway trash.

Drake intended it to be a mixtape, therefore it is a mixtape, therefore none of it encompassed what he would feel constituted a studio album. Those are the digs.

DominoKid

Why do people call new Drake a mixtape?

because that's what it is. then
BNBtV.png
happened

Esch

Banned
Drake intended it to be a mixtape, therefore it is a mixtape, therefore none of it encompassed what he would feel constituted a studio album. Those are the digs.

Yes and thabiz intended to not get Cheddahz' mother pregnant after that Ultramagnetic MC's concert in 1993, but here we are.

injurai

Banned
Yes and thabiz intended to not get Cheddahz' mother pregnant after that Ultramagnetic MC's concert in 1993, but here we are.

Don't think you can win me over just because that suave smiling pierce brosnan.
But does this mean Thabiz brings his kid to the club?

Director: Lil' Chri$

Action does a Coming to America spoof with his video for Baby Blue. The song is about his displeasure with a woman he is seeing. I don't see how the hell it relates to Coming to America when the character in that movie is in love with one, but hell the shit is dope and funny. You can tell this a professionally shot video because everything is crisp and well lit. I find it funny that this fat fuck is with a buff chick (who is she btw; a wrestler?) and he's trying to pull kung fu moves. Back on the spoof though, it is pretty entertaining to see the re-creation of the barber scene, but he could've did the old Jewish man better. That wasn't really funny. I loled when I saw the Albanian Awareness banner from the church scene. It would've been cool to see the club scene re-enacted or something from the kingdom. Shit is cool though.
8/10

Director: Lawrence Lamont

J. Cole drops the visuals for G.O.M.D. off his Forest Hills Drive album. The video relays a tale of a slave rebellion. The video is definitely appeasing to the eyes. The lighting is perfect in every shot. Nothing is too dark, too bright, or unbalanced and the costumes are on point. The story is very clear in its telling without diegetic dialogue and conspicuous lyrics. As far as the lyrics in the song goes, I get the gist of it in relation to the song, as he does convey discontent to people who have done him wrong, but there are a lot of lyrics that don't fit and like Crooked Smile, I'm unsure why this theme in particular was chosen. It's all around a decent music video though.

7/10

I'm baffled by attempts to shame mothers for being sexy...but at the same time Amber Rose is a pretty trash mother, b. Not because she dresses scantily, but because she abandons her kid for long periods of time to "host" parties and do a variety of other shit. Not to mention living in a dump with dog poop on the patio. The stripper/entertainer lifestyle doesn't strike me as palatable with being a mom. Nor does the doped up rapper seem palatable with being a dad.

The biggest loser here is the kid. His father spends thousands of dollars on weed a month and his mother would rather party than provide a consistent, stable house for him.

I'm baffled by attempts to shame mothers for being sexy...but at the same time Amber Rose is a pretty trash mother, b. Not because she dresses scantily, but because she abandons her kid for long periods of time to "host" parties and do a variety of other shit. Not to mention living in a dump with dog poop on the patio. The stripper/entertainer lifestyle doesn't strike me as palatable with being a mom. Nor does the doped up rapper seem palatable with being a dad.

The biggest loser here is the kid. His father spends thousands of dollars on weed a month and his mother would rather party than provide a consistent, stable house for him.

yea that "parenting" has really just become a "well he/she is worse" rather than being a role model
wait
did i just imply wiz or amber are potential role models
i should drink less

Finished Mr. Wonderful, album is great but it left me wanting more. Almost felt like an Ep or something. Top favorite tracks as of now from it are a light in the addict and only in america.

What does Grammy/Oscar bait even mean? I think the people that use the term mean it to say pretentious and/or pandering, but it usually comes off as not being able to articulate why that person doesn't like a movie or piece of music that other people consider good.

And what Grammy could TPAB of all things be trying to bait? "I lost out to macklemore last year so this afrocentric jazz funk album ought to do the trick."

I thought Yeezus was a very clear and calculated attempt to appeal to a liberal white audience. That was Grammy bait.

It was his middle finger to critics even though the album is chalk full of of genre blending styles and trends that music critics have been wanking off to the last 10 years?

I could see the argument that something like a duets album (established artist+new artist) could be seen as a calculated attempt at critical acclaim or reviving a career. But overall music doesn't work like film, which makes the bait comparisons fall flat; there isn't nearly as much money or politics involved.

The Grammys exist largely to reward top selling artists and/or older artists. They also focus on increasing viewership by creating weird collab performances between older and younger stars (no wonder they love duet albums). I wouldn't be surprised if Kendrick performs i with Prince, for instance. That's the type of shit they do. Kendrick's album won't be the top selling rap album this year, obviously.

Last point: the Grammys have always shunned rap and will continue to do so. There is no such thing as a Grammy bait rap album because of that: there is no guarantee they're going to fuck with your shit unless you're white, period.

Kendrick's album is getting universal acclaim right now, and I'm not surprised. It's a dope fucking album that is more ambitious than anything in mainstream rap right now, and features a lot of great musicianship and songwriting. Robert Glasper and Terrace Martin? Yea, it sounds pretty fucking good. Likewise Black Messiah features a lot of really great musicianship and songwriting. So the acclaim shouldn't be surprising, especially given both albums' competition. Once again D'Angelo dropped an album that doesn't sound like any of his contemporaries on the radio, and Kendrick dropped album that doesn't sound anything like mainstream or modern rap.

injurai

Banned
It was his middle finger to critics even though the album is chalk full of of genre blending styles and trends that music critics have been wanking off to the last 10 years?

This is giving critics too much credit. Does he have to be deliberately contrarian to say fuck you to critics. Better to value all musical heritage and completely ignore all critical bias. Whether what you're producing aligns or maligns with them. That's the biggest fuck you of all

If he delivers and it's maligned, their criticism falls on deaf ears. If it aligns they suckle him off regardless, they are nothing more than cogs in an industry made to services that major labels. At the end of the day, the fans decide and it's the artist that invoke that.

overcast

Highest selling will be Drake easy, that was always known.

If you're reading this was pretty mediocre doe. Views will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom