• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

yea cause giving TPAB a 10 like literally every outlet is really the final step that's gonna rocket fantano to fame and fortune. even when I think Fantano's opinions are hollow as hell, they're clearly what he really thinks. dude isn't in anyone's pocket.

the other more important part of it: no k.dot stan, but praising TPAB over Wonderful is...not a wild stance. even if I warm up a ton more to Mr. Wonderful it'll at most be to this year what Lord Steppington was to 14. a dope album that's very replayable by a solid and fun mid-level rapper. where TPAB is an experimental zig of a record that has already made a visible cultural impact from the dude who is clearly going to define this decade, for better or worse. Those are just facts. acting like anybody is playing by being twice as excited by kendrick than they are Bronson is ridiculous

edit: mf I hate getting tops of pages

overcast

Yeah, the middle portion of that album drags like a motherfucker and the rock half of it is kinda interesting at first but got pulled from my phone pretty quickly. If 5-6 is average I can see why somebody would think that. Probably like a 7 or so for me.

psych rock > jazz fusion. sorry brehs. bronson's interludes were much less of a drag to listen to for me. i think a remake of tpab would be for me. because I love the lyrical content on it (better than anything bronson can write) but most of that production really fights my interest as well. less king kunta/for free and more how much a dollar cost would have made it an instant classic

it all boils down to preference though of course.

and easy rider is the best bronson song.

overcast

Why do people insist on comparing the two albums? They aren't direct comparisons, nor challengers in any way really. They are essentially completely separate genres.

Still gotta peep that Earl.

Bronson better not waver after some of these reviews. The the middle / 2nd half of the album is great and well structured. Easily some of his best work so far unless you just want dusty Well Done style albums over and over.

RBK

Banned
I feel like I only liked two, maybe three,'songs off of Mr Wonderful.
1408.gif

I feel like I only liked two, maybe three,'songs off of Mr Wonderful.

Same. After two listens I really only go back to Terry, Easy Rider and Actin Crazy.

Album is ...aight tbh. Kdot > Earl > Bam Bam.

Bronson hitting that "if you've heard one project, you've heard them all" phase with me tbh

codhand

psych rock > jazz fusion. sorry brehs. bronson's interludes were much less of a drag to listen to for me. .

the only "jazz fusion" song on either album is Galactic Love though

Fantano is a music dork who once danced awkwardly. Shit, if that's our criteria than 95% of the opinions here should be disregarded

BFC interview with Dame's son

Didn't watch yet and therefore not sure if it's worth your time, but then again you are on a videogame board talking about rap aight

true, but did he bring cookies?
ynao8rF.png

HiResDes

Why do people insist on comparing the two albums? They aren't direct comparisons, nor challengers in any way really. They are essentially completely separate genres.

Still gotta peep that Earl.
I've sobered up on the initial hype of the Earl and though in ways it's more consistent than Doris I'm not sure it even has as many highs. Ultimately the mood and atmosphere that's suggested throughout never solidifies in any strong way and save for a few highlights including the previously leaked Grief and Wiki featured track it's quite forgettable. I'd probably give it a light 7. He gets a bit more personal on the album in comparison to Doris, but the beats and overall craftsmanship of the songs might even be a slight regression from Doris.

MoodyFog

I've sobered up on the initial hype of the Earl and though in ways it's more consistent than Doris I'm not sure it even has as many highs. Ultimately the mood and atmosphere that's suggested throughout never solidifies in any strong way and save for a few highlights including the previously leaked Grief and Wiki featured track it's quite forgettable. I'd probably give it a light 7. He gets a bit more personal on the album in comparison to Doris, but the beats and overall craftsmanship of the songs might even be a slight regression from Doris.

Thank you.

RBK

Banned
No lies told.

Still better than Mr. Wonderful.

EDIT: In retrospect, the quote post was in reference to TPaB/Mr. Wonderful.

codhand

but the beats and overall craftsmanship of the songs might even be a slight regression from Doris.

well ffs he did them all himself this time, i mean look at the Doris credits: alc, rza, neptunes, uzi, it was like his, dream team lineup LP
e3JI0sP.png

i think Earl made the album he wanted to, which incidentally can be said about Kendrick and Bronson too, it's a compliment.

codhand

I think my biggest take away from that Juan Ep, Rosenberg / Finesse interview is to never fucking rely on that wikipedia bullshit! in interviews, and in life.

Rosenberg could probably hear me smack my forehead from home, when he incorrectly quoted Finesse's wikipedia page not once, not twice, but three fucking times! then he goes on youtube and plays the wrong remixes! foh with that Rosenberg, Narduwuar could school you on prep.

Even Finesse on-air to him, "Throw that wik-lypedia stuff in the garbage!"

codhand

Earl is the male rapper version of girls that use profanity and wear new eras and sneakers to try and appear 'cool' and find some personality.

mjjagscryvsl5l.gif

this is the least accurate armchair psychoanalysis of a rapper i've read all year. i know it's early in the year, and there's still plenty of time left on the clock.

MoodyFog

mjjagscryvsl5l.gif

this is the least accurate armchair psychoanalysis of a rapper i've read all year. i know it's early in the year, and there's still plenty of time left on the clock.

Is it tho. He puts this ton of effects on his beats that add nothing, while having a lazy ass black cover to act like he just doesn't give a fuck and attract hipsters.

Like I said on the whatsapp thing at least I give him props for the album's title, it seems honest and accurate. Difficult to make music when you don't like shit though.

psych rock > jazz fusion. sorry brehs. bronson's interludes were much less of a drag to listen to for me. i think a remake of tpab would be for me. because I love the lyrical content on it (better than anything bronson can write) but most of that production really fights my interest as well. less king kunta/for free and more how much a dollar cost would have made it an instant classic

it all boils down to preference though of course.

and easy rider is the best bronson song.
Might want to google jazz fusion breh, sounds like you don't know what it is.

Lord Steppington>Mr Wonderful. Still I'd give Bronson a 7 at the lowest. On first listen I really enjoyed it, but I like it less the more I listen. It's not bad but you realize he's rapping the same way regardless of the beat. That's partially why I enjoy the "musical" interlude. He switches things up perfectly and breaths some life into things. City Boy Blues is fire whew. Addict song is one of Bronson's best.

Not really into Only In America though. Then the album kind of struggles until it ends super strong with Easy Rider.

HiResDes

Lord Steppington definitely wins out. Mr Wonderful is a strong 7 for me though. I like it a bit more than the new Earl. Oh and yea I give Earl props for doing what he wanted, but I just don't personally think he knows what sounds best. Chester Watson does the lo fi Earl thing better than Earl these days.

Courage

Bronson better not waver after some of these reviews. The the middle / 2nd half of the album is great and well structured. Easily some of his best work so far unless you just want dusty Well Done style albums over and over.

Which is what troubles me about this. Everyone that doesn't like this album wants more of the same. Really? I can understand you don't like the singing and rock experimentation, but you just want more of what he's been doing for 5 mixtapes now? There's different avenues to take his surrealism and I'd rather him push forward and try different things than stagnating with the same sound.

PBY

Banned
Which is what troubles me about this. Everyone that doesn't like this album wants more of the same. Really? I can understand you don't like the singing and rock experimentation, but you just want more of what he's been doing for 5 mixtapes now? There's different avenues to take his surrealism and I'd rather him push forward and try different things than stagnating with the same sound.
I mean- I was always mehhh on Bronson til this album.

I just wish he'd switch up his flow. He experimented with it on the Harry Fraud album for instance, but on this album he's kind of going stereotypical NY flow over rock tracks. Eh. Compare these tracks to Contemporary Man on Blue Chips 2 for instance, where his flow is quite agile to match the track switches.

codhand

if the best that can be said is that parts of it are his best work, than it's not his best work.

dude gave us so much heat, it's hard to be disappointed here,

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I like Mr. Wonderful more than TPaB, honestly. I think TPaB might be a better album, but I've already gotten fairly tired of listening to it. I only go back for a few songs. Mr. Wonderful is just more fun to listen to.

Haven't listened to Earl's album yet, so I can't put that in there yet.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm really gonna need Pharrell to chill with using "The Neptunes" for production credit when Chad ain't part of the equation.
Do you want to be credited as the dude who produced Happy? Or bangers? I can see why he still uses the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom