• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
I want to run the greatest game publishing company ever. My skills are in writing, mostly narrative, and videography. I just started to draw, but my skills aren't up to snuff yet. Those drawings that I post on here take me about a month to do.

I think I might want to get on some Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead type shit.

I've seen some crazy progress pics of people who do pencil and paper drawings over a 3 year span. There are plenty of writers who don't come into their own until their 40's. Some don't come into their own until even later when they retire.

I'm going for a computer science degree. I plan to get a job, begin paying down my loans. But after 3-5 years of that I plan to shift up what I'm doing. I may do some grad stuff in the sciences (might be wishful thinking). I may try to change into music production. At least try to get some semi-periodic output on some labels that I respect.

One thing I noticed, is a lot of the people I looked up to. Didn't get to where they were over night. Some of them much later in life. I feel like I'm always falling up the horse, only to get back on and fall off from some stupid reason. But I'm still moving forward. I go through stints where things are going just fine, and other times where I'm in a low. Sometimes I would rather just recoup and live a little then run the rat race.

It's never too late to supplement what you want to be doing, with something that gives you more value in the job market. Einstein worked as a patent clerk and used that to fund himself as he studied and worked on his science in the evenings. Because he wasn't part of any institution that would pay him for his research.

L'Orange - Need You Feat. Blu

this is a year old but I'm just hearing it now. Blu has broken my heart more than any woman but when it's good whewww
S799vbT.gif

big ander

Mr. Wonderful gets better with more spins. woulda been cool to see him top BC2 though. I hope the Thug Love story dude got paid lol

IrishNinja

courage's list makes me wanna finally give death grips a proper chance

also fuck happened to my man syph?

The writing is on point in PoE..

word? onto the list it goes

Went on Genius for a bit, listened to Complexion, looked at the comments.

wtf.png

poe's law stay in effect mode outchea

Mr. Wonderful gets better with more spins. woulda been cool to see him top BC2 though. I hope the Thug Love story dude got paid lol

can't stop bumping this shit all week, for real

L'Orange - Need You Feat. Blu

this is a year old but I'm just hearing it now. Blu has broken my heart more than any woman but when it's good whewww
S799vbT.gif

best music video from last year.

Pissed off/Appeasement playlist

NWA - Fuk da Police - Straight Outta Compton (1988)
R.A. The Rugged Man - Media Midgets - Legends Never Die (2013)
Bambu - Minimum Wage - Party Worker (2014)
Brother Ali - Uncle Sam Goddamn - Undisputed Truth (2007)
Immortal Technique - Industrial Revolution - The Revolutionary Vol.1 (2001)
Oh No - Fuck You - The Burgundy (2014)
Lil' Kim - Suck My Dick - The Notorious K.I.M. (2000)
Cookin' Soul - Life's a Bitch ft. AZ - Soulmatic (2014)

The Reminders - You Can Count on Me - Born Champions (2013)
R.A. The Rugged Man - Still Get Through the Day feat. Eamon - Legends Never Die (2013)
Rics Rumble - I'm Broke - Literary Addict (2013)
LL Cool J - Around the Way Girl (Instrumental) - Around the Way Girl [Single] (1990)
Outkast - The Whole World feat. Killer Mike - Big Boi & Dre Present Outkast (2001)
Nine - 4 Chicken Wings and Rice - Cloud 9 (1996)
2Pac - Keep Your Head Up - Strictly 4 My n.i.g.g.a.z (1993)

injurai

Banned
Yooooooo.

Watching Marco Polo right now. This show man. Is this what HBO is all about? This is straight up harem.
My mom recommended it to me of all people... :|

Yooooooo.

Watching Marco Polo right now. This show man. Is this what HBO is all about? This is straight up harem.
My mom recommended it to me of all people... :|

It's a really good show. It's not even really about Marco at all but I guess Netflix wanted to play it safe by putting a white dude. I imagine naming the show "Ghengis" or something like that wouldn't get as many people watching it.

injurai

Banned
It's a really good show. It's not even really about Marco at all but I guess Netflix wanted to play it safe by putting a white dude. I imagine naming the show "Ghengis" or something like that wouldn't get as many people watching it.

Oh come on. It's totally centered around Marco Polo and part of his actual journey. But they do a really great job with all the other characters. They are all fleshed out believable human beings. Also In your attempt to be edgy you fucked up. It's Kublai not Ghengis

Oh come on. It's totally centered around Marco Polo and part of his actual journey. But they do a really great job with all the other characters. They are all fleshed out believable human beings. Also In your attempt to be edgy you fucked up. It's Kublai not Ghengis

Kublai, Ghengis, same family different person. And really the show works perfectly fine without Marco. The only reason he's in it was because they needed an "in" that everyone could relate to. Almost every knows who the hell Marco Polo is, the average person doesn't know who the fuck Kublai is. This show could have been made without Marco and nothing of worth would have been lost and it still would have been just as amazing.

Vox sums up my feelings on the title character's importance in the show.

injurai

Banned
Kublai, Ghengis, same family different person. And really the show works perfectly fine without Marco. The only reason he's in it was because they needed an "in" that everyone could relate to. Almost every knows who the hell Marco Polo is, the average person doesn't know who the fuck Kublai is. This show could have been made without Marco and nothing of worth would have been lost and it still would have been just as amazing.

I don't doubt that, it's a really well done show. A really well done show shouldn't hinge solely on the main character. But it's not like Marco Polo was some cop out toss in to add a white person to a show about the Mongols. They most certainly decided to make a show about Marco Polo in which he was known for meeting Kublai and they made a story around this encounter. No viewer of the show is going to be well versed in Mongol culture, having a foreigner there where he learns about the world helps introduce dynamics that would otherwise go unmentioned or would feel awkward trying to explicitly bring them to light.

Admit it, you're trying to vilify the white main character. This is the wrong show to pull that out for. This isn't Exodus.

I don't doubt that, it's a really well done show. A really well done show shouldn't hinge solely on the main character. But it's not like Marco Polo was some cop out toss in to add a white person to a show about the Mongols. They most certainly decided to make a show about Marco Polo in which he was known for meeting Kublai and they made a story around this encounter. No viewer of the show is going to be well versed in Mongol culture, having a foreigner there where he learns about the world helps introduce dynamics that would otherwise go unmentioned or would feel awkward trying to explicitly bring them to light.

Admit it, you're trying to vilify the white main character. This is the wrong show to pull that out for. This isn't Exodus.

As I stated, I'm not alone in how I view Macro and his position in the show, this isn't some new found racially motivated commentary; it's one of the biggest low points that MANY outlets have pointed out when they rated/critiqued this show. They could use absolutely anyone for Marco's part and absolutely nothing would change. You need to educate the viewers on Mongol culture? Get a Mongol peasant and explain it through their eyes, that literally would fill the same role as Marco in this show. You don't need Marco to explain the culture to the viewer, that role can be filled by absolutely anyone if the writers are decent. The fact you say that's Marco's role proves my point. He's basically the all knowing narrator in TV show form. He's the in for the viewer, he's relatable to the viewer specifically because he's the white guy in a land full of non white people. Hollywood is still under the delusion that we as viewers NEED that kind of "relating".

When the lead character of the show can be palette swapped with anyone else or removed wholesale and the show goes on without a hitch then it's hard to argue the character is needed. The show doesn't work without Kublai, the show works completely fine without Marco. He's here because the average person knows who Marco Polo is due to playing "Marco Polo" at the public swimming pool when they were kids, nothing more, probably a lot less.

Or to quote Vox

1) The show is dramatically inert. By this I mean that the character's goals rarely feel personal to them, but, instead, are more about the collective goal of the empire and how they fit into that. That's actually fairly accurate, in a historical sense (as the wants and desires of individuals were far more often sublimated into grander causes), but it's death in terms of dramatic narrative. This means the show keeps returning to Marco, who is meant to have a dramatic arc but just doesn't. This is a show about Kublai Khan that doesn't realize it's about Kublai Khan because Marco Polo has better name recognition.

Marco Polo is a terribly boring character, particularly as played by Lorenzo Richelmy. It's easy to see why Richelmy was cast. He's got heartthrob written all over him. But Marco's voyage into the heart of Kublai Khan's court skirts far too close to the old "white savior" archetype in which a white European or American enters another culture, then shows it how it can better exist, to ever feel entirely comfortable.

No vilifying here, simply calling a spade a damn spade.

------------

Back on topic.

Weeknd needs to drop the damn CDQ of Mood Music like yesterday. Rocky needs to drop his damn album already, this high fashion mofo drops one album then bounces...Harlem dudes appreciate shit. Ye needs to bless us and Drake...I don't care what Drake does.

injurai

Banned
Marco isn't terrible but we both agree he is a stand in. Remove him and you would have a great show about the Khanate. Thing is they set out to make a show about Marco Polo, and what we got was something far more interesting than an overly Marco Polo centric plot. It's filled with a bunch of great treatment of other characters and plot lines. You're trying to turn this into a situation where Marco Polo is just an unnecessary character plugged into what should be a story devoid of a white arbiter. In reality it's a show about Marco Polo that does a great treatment of a diverse empire.

While the show could totally work as something else without him. You and others are trying to draw the line in such a way to cut things as such. Just seems like an unnecessary. They took idea A and delivered AB. People really value B and are now trying to say A is just replacing what should have been C. That BC is what we should have been made. But it all started with A to begin with.

Which is why aside from arguments over how it could be even better. Tossing out Marco is just a different show. It's completely irrelevant. While it's interesting to point out that there is potential in BC, the real point is over how A could be done better to deliver on AB.

But whatever, this whole argument is dumb. Vox is incredible dumb as usual.

IrishNinja

thats a nice link there tokus

also fuck why is hotline miami 2 so hard, like these later stages can go on so looonnnnng, took me an hour to clear a junle one of 4 rooms or so a while back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom