• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

this azella video is...well it's something

i still think vic spencer is AOTY so far, but this is very nice. got that kool keith vibe so im loving it.

Who

Who is Billy Woods

WHO

Part of NY duo, Armand Hammer. Known for their dense lyricism and hard hitting commentary.

oh okay...gimme a starting point for them then, grabbed the woods album

new j-live record is nice

shit he's playing a set out here friday night too...gotta see if i can get the night off

already a classic and i aint een heard it yet
all it needs is jaden features

I thought Spotify's free version is the same thing but with ads and worse quality?

yup and for those who dont fuck with advertising there's programs to mute that shit too, which hulu had one

a0799372157_2.jpg

King Mono, the moniker behind the live band/production duo of Little Shalimar (neé Torbitt Schwartz) and Jeremy Wilms, is consumed with the sweet spot between funk, RnB, house, and 70s rock.
Their debut album, Bump in the Night, will be released March 31st, 2015 on Tummy Touch and features vocals from RnB breakout singer Jesse Boykins III. The album embraces quirky electronic impulses, modern programming and psychedelic mushrooms, crafted from their collection of vintage analogue synths and portable drum machines.

King Mono gave us a taste of their sound with last year’s Straight to VHS EP that FACT Magazine hailed as “drum machine funk at its finest” and selected it as a “Best Bandcamp Release.” The duo also premiered the first video from Bump In The Knight for “Pet Peeves” with Okayplayer stating, “King Mono is funk for the future, plain and simple.”
https://kingmono.bandcamp.com/album/bump-in-the-night

Co-producer of RTJ2.

Furyous

I'm listening to this Wale album so you don't have to.

Couple things that stand out from this album after the halfway mark:

Is this dude okay? I'm getting a real sad vibe from him.
Drake called and wants his style back.
Remember the Wale album fans hoped he wouldn't release after signing to MMG?

This is that record mixed in with sadness over his standing the in the game. Bring back the Attention Deficit Wale for the people. It's a solid album but he's found his niche in the game and this is it.

DominoKid

I'm listening to this Wale album so you don't have to.

Couple things that stand out from this album after the halfway mark:

Is this dude okay? I'm getting a real sad vibe from him.

Drake called and wants his style back.
Remember the Wale album fans hoped he wouldn't release after signing to MMG?

This is that record mixed in with sadness over his standing the in the game. Bring back the Attention Deficit Wale for the people. It's a solid album but he's found his niche in the game and this is it.

he's not.

i feel kind of sorry for him but he really can't blame anyone but himself for where he's at.

I agree that people have devalued the concept of a classic by calling everything classic. Whenever a noteworthy album comes out there's an automatic push to call it classic on twitter, amongst fanboys, etc.

Peter Rosenberg's immediate attempt to call TPAB classic, less a couple days after it was released, really highlights that today it's just used to hype stuff. I think TPAB is amazing...I'm not going to say it's a classic album. I didn't say GKMC was classic after a month either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know, I think Wale is a certain breed of forgettable but he does get way too much hate TBH. Dude has always put up consistent numbers, hasn't he? I also don't think he's a bad lyricist by any measure.

I just think a lot of the artists who don't make it as far as their peers in their class deal with it in different ways. Some are fine with their underground success and able to internalize that they not be for the masses and that's okay because you can eat other ways today.

Now you got like pre-Drake era guys like Mickey Factz and Charles Hamilton trying to make a splash again and it's kind of the same deal. Some salty, some hopeful. I'm not against aspiring for more but some of these dudes really think they're owed something significant.

Koozek

I agree that people have devalued the concept of a classic by calling everything classic. Whenever a noteworthy album comes out there's an automatic push to call it classic on twitter, amongst fanboys, etc.

Peter Rosenberg's immediate attempt to call TPAB classic, less a couple days after it was released, really highlights that today it's just used to hype stuff. I think TPAB is amazing...I'm not going to say it's a classic album. I didn't say GKMC was classic after a month either.

What rap albums from the last 10 years would count as classics? Like, for real for real classics, not only personal favorites.

Feels like there was nothing besides Be, (The Documentary?), GKMC and MBDTF. GKMC needs a few more years and MBDTF, as much as I am a fan of Kanye and loved it, I'm not sure if it's really a classic that you will listen to in 20 years. Seems like the type of album many just call classic because they heard everybody else say it on the internet, without actually listening to it much or at all. Who's still pumping it here, honestly?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What rap albums from the last 10 years would count as classics? Like, for real for real classics, not only personal favorites.

Feels like there was nothing besides Be, (The Documentary?), GKMC and MBDTF. GKMC needs a few more years and MBDTF, as much as I am a fan of Kanye and loved it, I'm not sure if it's really a classic that you will listen to in 20 years. Seems like the type of album many just call classic because they heard everybody else say it on the internet, without actually listening to it much or at all. Who's still pumping it here, honestly?
I am.

MBDTF is definitely the type of album you will listen to in 20 years.. dare I say moreso than anything else in his discography. Most multilayered piece of work he's done, and it's without question his magnum opus. It's so intertwined with his character that if people can still remember Kanye in the future (given) they will think of MBDTF because that's exactly who he is on wax.

I'm comfortable calling MBDTF a classic now because it really did solidify Kanye in the game and in recent years we've had artists come out and reference it as inspiration. GKMC too, because it really stirred conversation and it stood out amongst several generations of new MCs. Got people thinking Kendrick invented get out of the hood concept albums and shit.

TPAB is getting called a classic right now because it's temporally relevant and you've got some big (and small) voices pushing him. He is our golden boy, he can only drop classics.

overcast

Ultimately the classic conversation is one that will always be debated because the boxes to check off are so vague. It has to be great, have impact on the game, have a unique sound. Blah blah.

I understand why many are quick to label things classics, but it gets to the point of absurdity in this genre. Every album gets called a classic when it leaks over at KTT. Boils down to the stans of an artist (and haters too) yelling louder than anyone else.

Of course it's a fun conversation to have, so I like to participate in it. Hard to separate personal feelings though. Calling something an "overall" classic is a pretty objective observation to make.

Poor Wale :[

Koozek

I think there are some classics you can acknowledge immediately...that being said TPAB isn't one of them.

From '05 onwards, though? Not that many, really. I mean, I could list stuff like The Minstrel Show, The Grind Date, Food & Liquor, but I'm not sure if they are more than personal classics. Does Drake have one, for example? Take Care? Nah. Dude's basically dominated rap for the last years, but no classic album, yet.

IrishNinja

if you listenin to MBDTF in 20 years its cause you're reminiscing on where your life was before certain decisions, not cause shit was a memorable album

real talk

HiResDes

I think there are some classics you can acknowledge immediately...that being said TPAB isn't one of them.
It's just about GKMC tier for me, just a little bit below, I'd give both 9s or better.

Also how in the hell did MBDTF solidify Kanye in the game when he was already such an important and preeminent figure? MBDTF has not aged well at all, and it's poor mastering and disfractured nature will only become more apparent in the future.

Koozek

I am.

MBDTF is definitely the type of album you will listen to in 20 years.. dare I say moreso than anything else in his discography. Most multilayered piece of work he's done, and it's without question his magnum opus. It's so intertwined with his character that if people can still remember Kanye in the future (given) they will think of MBDTF because that's exactly who he is on wax.

I'm comfortable calling MBDTF a classic now because it really did solidify Kanye in the game and in recent years we've had artists come out and reference it as inspiration. GKMC too, because it really stirred conversation and it stood out amongst several generations of new MCs. Got people thinking Kendrick invented get out of the hood concept albums and shit.

TPAB is getting called a classic right now because it's temporally relevant and you've got some big (and small) voices pushing him. He is our golden boy, he can only drop classics.
Hmm, makes sense, but I still don't think it's his musically best album. That one would go to LR, imo.

Ultimately the classic conversation is one that will always be debated because the boxes to check off are so vague. It has to be great, have impact on the game, have a unique sound. Blah blah.

I understand why many are quick to label things classics, but it gets to the point of absurdity in this genre. Every album gets called a classic when it leaks over at KTT. Boils down to the stans of an artist (and haters too) yelling louder than anyone else.

Of course it's a fun conversation to have, so I like to participate in it. Hard to separate personal feelings though. Calling something an "overall" classic is a pretty objective observation to make.

Poor Wale :[

I think the bar has been so low in the last years, that's why. Looking through some yearly lists you can see how absolutly weak (commercial) rap was between '6 and '12. Most albums were just a bunch of singles and fillers. GKMC felt like the first great, concept album that was also successful in a long time.

EDIT: Wale on The Breakfast Club tomorrow, apparently.

HiResDes

It feels like you're insinuating that GKMC is only held in such high esteem because of the era when it seems quite clear to me that it would have been considered great even if had dropped in the mid 90s. Same with XXX, though I believe he was mainly focusing on the bigger commercial albums.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's just about GKMC tier for me, just a little bit below, I'd give both 9s or better.

Also how in the hell did MBDTF solidify Kanye in the game when he was already such an important and preeminent figure? MBDTF has not aged well at all, and it's poor mastering and dysfractured nature will only become more apparent in the future.
Because people were counting him down and out at that point, he was done for. The album is a product of where Kanye was at that time, and instead of imploding he blows out the gates and doubt with his most introspective yet larger than life project and now he's not just a mainstay but a legend, it gives him an opportunity to do a collabo album with Jay (which was sonically an extension of MBDTF), re-launch his label for the better, etc.

MBDTF aged fine, I think it gets even better actually because the structure and themes have been given time to be digested. The mastering is really the biggest slight against it, but that's definitely audiophile nitpick territory. As for your second critique, after a bit of research I have concluded that's either not a real world or a metal group, in the case of the latter I don't know how that applies.

Meh, XXX is a concept album and it's better than GKMC.
Yeah but XXX needs to come together as an album before it can come together as a concept album. The strongest point I've heard for XXX being a classic is that it influenced the rebound of molly/E/similar drug talk back to the forefront, which would be true if you could make a logical connection between the two, or anyone being influenced by Danny Brown really.

Koozek

Meh, XXX is a concept album and it's better than GKMC.

It feels like you're insinuating that GKMC is only held in such high esteem because of the era when it seems quite clear to me that it would have been considered great even if had dropped in the mid 90s. Same with XXX, though I believe he was mainly focusing on the bigger commercial albums.

I only meant commercially successful concept albums. Otherwise I would've listed several The Roots and other underground albums, of course.

overcast

I would agree with you as far as ratings. Yet I believe GKMC is a classic for sure. Of course it's too early to talk about TPAB.
I think the bar has been so low in the last years, that's why. Looking through some yearly lists you can see how absolutly weak (commercial) rap was between '6 and '12. Most albums were just a bunch of singles and fillers. GKMC felt like the first great, concept album that was also successful in a long time.
Rap was really great from 10-12 for sure.

Koozek

[...] As for your second critique, after a bit of research I have concluded that's either not a real world or a metal group, in the case of the latter I don't know how that applies.

Danny Brown.

I would agree with you as far as ratings. Yet I believe GKMC is a classic for sure. Of course it's too early to talk about TPAB.

Rap was really great from 10-12 for sure.

It started picking up in '10 again with MBDTF, yeah. What else? I don't remember anything huge, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom