• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to post my thoughts here as well: I gave the new Ratking a few listens and thought it was pretty good. I don't think it's as good as So It Goes though. While So It Goes had a more raw, harsh and grimy sound, this one has a Southern tinge (even flow-wise) with an emphasis on bangers. Not that that's bad, but it's not what I loved about So It Goes last year. The noisier production suited the fiery lyricism and passion the group has (mostly Wiki), and this album is set back a notch creatively. I still like it and it might grow on me, but it's not what I expected from them really.

Yeah, definitely agree So It Goes was more raw, and that's what appealed to me. However this is still a real solid release, if more accessible.

also here's another one by chance

The Dream on Highly Questionable (ESPN)

little yeezy story

Courage

Waiting for the physical release in 2103

What will GAF-Hop even be like in 2103?

CoolHopefulAcornbarnacle.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What will GAF-Hop even be like in 2103?

The topic of night terrors for some feeble minded gaffer in the future twilight years of their life. As they scream in their hospital bed, spittle flying across their bed sheets flecked with blood, urine coats the bedding, their kidneys are failing. No one rushes in to the room to help. They cannot be saved. This is a room for death to reside in as it watches its next soul escape from the rotting husk that lies there in its bed writhing in pain. The empty blackness of the room creeps over the bed. Moonlight cannot crack this emptiness.

In this gaffers last blood coated breath, they stare into nothing, the only words left to the vaccuum of the room are...

"Jaden Smith can spit".

That is our legacy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And yet Obie got dropped. I'd still buy an Obie album that wasn't trying to be rap rock for some reason. I probably got half of Cheers memorized.

IrishNinja

after missing DIlla fest, i told myself i'd go to more shows - chick i was talking to told me Redman was gonna be downtown for $20, took the night off.

DJ's warming up were nice, and opening acts were all over - Monie Love, Noreaga, Crooked I etc. Reggie showed up made late, but then knocked out a nearly 2 hour set...my last show was 25 minutes of K-dot so this was impressive right here.

Best yet? dude actually had the energy i saw in him in the Hard Knock Tour in like '98 or so. weaving in & out of Whut? Thee Album, Muddy Waters, Doc's da Name 2000 and a bunch of covers too, with his cousin as hypeman/fill-in for Def Squad members, which wasn't bad even when he got his 10 minutes on the mic.

dude swears he'll be back with Mef, who's working on Methlab mixtape & that he'd have his own Muddy 2 & a mixtape this year as well, and that they'd be doing their first indie/non-Def Jam album as Blackout! 3, so that was cool.

sidenote: the "real hip hop" heads were of course in effect, and red catered to them here & there too, which was fine but got me thinking: was the 90's to hip hop what the 60's were to classic rock? like, a golden era no doubt, but one where a number of people got hyper-focused and seemingly not at all interested in anything beyond that era, even by names they recognize...not trying to act like the aughts stack up nearly as well but it's weird nonetheless

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've seen both the 80s and the 90s referred to as the "Golden Age" of hip-hop. Which is it?

I hear 90s more often but then again I'm not as familiar with 80s rap and thus less attuned to media regarding it.

IrishNinja

see, originally it was 80's since most credit that as the beginning/early era of hip hop as we understand it, but forever now when i hear it referred to, golden = 90's.

which is funny because while some of the finest albums in the genre hands-down came out then, one thing i usually hear at these shows is how hardcore/underground/etc could go gold or platinum without radio, marketing etc...when that was actually pretty rare even then, when dudes bought albums, as i recall...like, EPMD and others did it prior, and shit like Wu-Tang Forever could, but from what i saw in the Source, it wasn't super common like ti's made to be sometimes.

like i don't normally fuck with sales-age, but i bet the opening month #'s on stuff you often see cited - The Infamous, SouthernPlayalistic, Predator, most wu Solo classics etc - would be interesting, compared to the legacy they get.

WanderingWind

80s was the birth of hip hop. It was in its infancy. You are never your best when you're a child unless you died young. Hip hop continues to live. The 90s is easily the golden age. Still young, still fresh and most of the legends of the game were in their prime then.

But we're now in an expanded age where we have all types of hip hop represented at the top levels (except female MCs, still working on highlander rules there). I think we could be in the middle of an age that music nerds will call the experimental phase of hip hop. Like when rock when through its splintering in the 70s that lead to so many variations down the line.

We saw the eventual golden age of glam rock, metal, grunge etc from that experimental stage that showed rock could be more than 4 dudes jamming together. We could see the same thing with rap, where we haven't gotten to the golden age of acid rap or experimental rap or castle rap or whatever.

That Shady Records doc has me remembering just how fucking powerful that '99-'03 stretch was for Em. Crazy solo projects, the 8 mile movie and soundtrack, getting 50 cent blown the fuck up.
Dude was just straight up killin the game in every capacity in that four year period. There might be a half dozen cats in the industry who ever had peak years like that, with such commanding cultural influence and commercial success.

Pac from '92 till his death with his albums, political controversy and movies like Above the Rim and Juice. Dre from NWA to the mid 90s Death Row era. The Wu, 93 to 97 with all the Wu centric solo projects thrown in. Jay from BP1 to the mid 2000s with his Roc Dynasty shit. Puffy from 93 to the late 90s. The Kanye era, which really took off after College Dropout.

WanderingWind

The first Purity Ring album made me pay attention. This one isn't bad, but I sort of zone out everytime I listen to it and can't really recall a single track. Like, I had to find out what Lofticries was called when I heard it for the first time in the plug sesh. It's good folding clothes music. It makes for alright sorting cards music or doing homework music.

WanderingWind

It's not like I don't understand y'alls infatuation with T Swift, but you know. Keep it under control Courage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom