• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

I have been warming up to the new Young Thug despite the mediocre features.

Anyway I was wondering what recent Thug loonies I'm missing if anyone is keeping track fill me in please.

it all kinda bleeds together. It's hard to tell a lot of the tracks apart. Check and Just Might Be are the best, everything seems like background music.

Courage

it all kinda bleeds together. It's hard to tell a lot of the tracks apart. Check and Just Might Be are the best, everything seems like background music.

Yep. I feel a lot of these producers that work with Thugger and the rest of the mainstream trap artists out right now don't have the chops to produce slower tracks. Even Zaytoven's production sounds homogeneous at times. Just focus on the more abrasive type of banger.

injurai

Banned
Yep. I feel a lot of these producers that work with Thugger and the rest of the mainstream trap artists out right now don't have the chops to produce slower tracks. Even Zaytoven's production sounds homogeneous at times. Just focus on the more abrasive type of banger.

My biggest complaint with hip hop is the nature of the rapper/producer relationship. I much prefer when collaborations settle down and a duo shares an act, sound, and identity. You have to be about the music, be about the shared vision, the interest, and the process. None of this doing it for the lifestyle, doing it for the cred. You'll burn through producers and wither away before you establish and identity.

Courage

My biggest complaint with hip hop is the nature of the rapper/producer relationship. I much prefer when collaborations settle down and a duo shares an act, sound, and identity. You have to be about the music, be about the shared vision, the interest, and the process. None of this doing it for the lifestyle, doing it for the cred. You'll burn through producers and wither away before you establish and identity.

Yeah, it explains why a lot of these albums we listen to and enjoy are ultimately disposable. The ones we usually remember are the ones that are fully realized in the creative process, as you've said.

You look at artists like Gucci Mane who put out all these projects every year and they're all mostly trash. Makes me wonder if his fans actually enjoy listening to every single release at this point.

I didn't think it was awkward just a weird choice to have dogs as the representation in this song, but most of his recent videos have had weird thematic choices to me.

DominoKid

i mean what do you consider slow though? cause the average trap beat is pretty slow i think.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A$AP Rocky at the Red Bull Academy. Notable stuff, though I wouldn't reccomend a listen because it's mostly just him telling y'all how fly he is and using the word jiggy:

- Kanye, Juicy J, Dangermouse, Mos Def, Lil B working on the album
- Mos Def loves Earl, Vince Staples, Shabazz Palaces
- Recorded skeletons in the album in Red Bull studios in London
- Says he's very influenced by grime
- Says he doesn't take credit for, but kind of takes credit for introducing grime to the US
- 19:40 out of nowhere: "That guy is handsome in the window right there. Very handsome. I wonder what kind of skin cream he uses."
- The people he feels should be credited for raising him up: Swizz Beatz, David Banner, Mos Def
- Joe Fox is on like 7 tracks on the album
- 28:00 Thinks with his first album people wrote him off as swaggy, but he changed the sonics of hip hop, more airy flows and delivery now
- 31:00 "An engineer is like as significant as, pause, as a wife. You know how hard it is to find a better half?"
- Only records between 10PM and 10AM
- 59:45 I'm not a rapper, I'm an artist moment
- Describes how A$AP made their first songs after being fashion kids first
- Wants every song to be performable
- Says his greatest musical achievement is touring WW off of a mixtape
- No FKA Twigs song on this album
- 1:15:30 debuts Ms, interviewer vibing to it lol

Jamie Foxx on Sway In The Morning. Now this is worth a watch. Tells so many stories:
- How Kanye told him to stfu and do Slow Jamz right
- How he threw a $400 party in LA to best Diddy's party that Diddy spent a milli on, where Jay Z was there and nobody knew who he was
- Talks putting Drake on to the LA scene
- Chris Brown cutting dude a cheque at one of his New Music Hour events he has at his house
- Suge showing up to one of his parties, him warning the party that some shit might go on, Snoop being like "you ain't gon' let him in, is you?"
- Talks Brion taking over a session to put Foxx on Gold Digger
- Timbaland telling him his songs were wack lmao
- OJ walking into one of his parties, meeting Chris Brown there
- Talks about Chris Brown being a different person behind the scenes, he dances with Jamie Foxx' sister who has down syndrome for hours whenever he comes over
- Talks playing the Oscar/critics game in Hollywood

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think Vic could do good things. I reallly liked Down on my Luck and a few other singles. I think he'll surpass Chance if he hasn't already as the Chicago breakout kid.

DominoKid

I think Vic could do good things. I reallly liked Down on my Luck and a few other singles. I think he'll surpass Chance if he hasn't already as the Chicago breakout kid.

i thought his tape was shit but his random joints since have been good and he's w/ the right folks to actually make something happen.

chance is off in fucking la la land or something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah Chance had a great project with Acid Rap but hasn't delivered on the hype (yet?). In the meantime Vic has released a few killer singles and has a Kanye co-sign.

Yeah I agree he's really diverse in terms of the type of songs he can make and he does have a few songs I fucked with heavy on this last tape with the right person in his corner he can definitely make some noise.

I wonder why Kanye gravitated towards Vic instead of Chance. Seems like a blown opportunity for Chance but it might have just been vibes not mixing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Neither have given me enough reasons to [still] care.

U MAD is just missing something, can't put my finger on it.

I'm ready for the next wave of non-Drill Chicago artists, let's go.

I wonder why Kanye gravitated towards Vic instead of Chance. Seems like a blown opportunity for Chance but it might have just been vibes not mixing.
Vic has a relationship with No I.D. and is managed by Lenny S.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Kanye will co-sign anything tho. a business contract with Dame Dash; these:

image2hpj0.jpg

overcast

Keep your girlfriend close, and your friend closer.
So you're saying... Threesome

Thanks for the write up on ASAP, Enzo. Hopefully he has better tracks than that last one, I don't like him claiming to have brought Grime to the states. Okay with him making songs to perform though.

Chance has been shit, but I'll check out his next project. Acid Rap is great for summer 👌

Its sucks that Chance is sort of letting his moment get away from him. The hype from Acid Rap might already be dead.

That was great interview with Janie Foxx with Sway. Thx for sharing enzo.

Streethawk: A Seduction

Destroyer is one of those bands that have a daunting discography that spans over a decade. I feel like that makes any band a bit tougher to recommend. I remember getting into them with their release in 2011 (Kaputt), I loved it but it took me a while to get around to some of their other albums. I went to Streethawk: A Seduction as my next step.

The album immediately stuck out as a more classic rock type album, sometimes reminiscent of Bowie for me. I feel it is a good record to start for our little collective listening bit it doesn't seem too harsh.. and it’s fantastic. The album does not have particularly complex instrumentation, but the moments build on top of each other into exploding crescendos or just welcome changes in typical structure. Some of these simple riffs were bits that would get stuck in my head when I first listened to the album, whistling them at work. These songs suit Dan Bejar’s off kilter voice and his great delivery. Every line is punctuated just right, or held for the perfect amount of time. On that note, I can definitely see some being turned off by his voice. He does have a high pitched voice that is a tad Bob Dylan-esque. Regardless, I personally feel his voice greatly improves the album with overwhelming passion and honesty.

One thing to make note of is that this is a positive, bright album. The themes here seem to be (?) about accepting your place in life or loving what you’re doing. Bejar writes like a poet and if you listen closely sometimes it leads to more confusion. Well it did in my case. There are allusions and words tied together that beg for close analysis. Regardless, there is quite a few of funny or emotionally resonant lines on first listen. One of the more interesting bits is when Dan Bejar continuously repeats “You got the spirit. Don’t lose the feeling” to finish off the song Bad Arts. This is a twist on Joy Division’s track Disorder where Ian Curtis sings, “I’ve got the spirit, lose the feeling”. I feel like that is a good point to sum up the album. In Disorder the man can’t live in this harsh world even though he has the true spirit of an artist (leading to suicide/death), whereas Bejar seems to be pleading not to give up despite everything. On a personal level this album really hit a good tone with me in a difficult stretch of life.

That’s all I have to say. Sorry if it’s a bit incoherent, but I wrote this after work. I’m really interested to see what some of you think. I realize it’s not the most obscure album, but regardless I thought it would be a fun one to talk about.

Really enjoyed this album it was a easy listen all the way through and the lead vocalist did give me a younger Bob Dylan vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom