• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playlist for the day

Narcy - Free - World War Free Now! (2015)

Narcy - Nothing (w/ Suheir Hammad) - World War Free Now! (2015)
The 1978ers - One-Nine-7-T-8 - People of Today (2014)
The 1978ers - Without A Clue - People of Today (2014)
yU - Money (The Ahh Yeah) - The Earn (2011)
LL Cool J - Around the Way Girl - Mama Said Knock You Out (1990)
Sa-Roc - Chi High Sword Low (Mantra) - Ether Warz (????)
Akua Naru - Fly (feat. Ben L'Oncle Soul) - The Miner's Canary (2015)
LL Cool J - Hey Lover ft. Boys II Men - Mr. Smith (1995)
Da Brat - Funkdafied - Funkdafied (1994)
Yugen Blakrok - Chatterboxin (2010)
Blakroc - Coochie (feat. Ol' Dirty Bastard & Ludacris) - Blakroc (2009)
Blakroc - Hard Times feat. NOE - Blakroc (2009)
Rapper Big Pooh - Candlelight (feat. Marv Won) - Pictures Paint Words (2015)
Yugen Blakrok - LeftRightHand - Return of the Astro-Goth (2013)
Nas - Summer Cookout feat. Nature - Unreleased Tracks
Rap Is a Joke - S.M.O.D. feat. Dirt Nasty - Double Penetration (2011)
2Pac - Brenda's Got a Baby - 2Pacalypse Now (1991)
Blitz The Ambassador - Instrumentalude - Native Sun (2011)
Nas - You Won't See Me Tonight feat. Aaliyah - I Am... The Autobiography (1999)
Blitz The Ambassador - Dying to Live ft. Tarrey Torae - Stereotype (2009)
Rapsody - This Woman's Work - For Everything (2011)
Nefertiti - Walkin' Da Life - L.I.F.E. (Living in Fear of Extinction) (1993)
Nujabes - Battle Cry - Samurai Champloo Soundtrack (2005)
The Narcicyst - Gone, Be There feat. 9th Wonder - Mr. Asthmatic (2010)

Also while listening to this and rapping along with some of these songs I came to think hey, what rap songs does Gaf know by heart?

I know:
Brenda's Got a Baby
I Get Around
Around the Way Girl
Remember the Times
The Message
What's Your Fantasy?
The Power of Myself Is Moving
Oochie Wally
Juicy
What I Do
No Worries

Az

No one in the business has the balls to tell Em that he isn't killing it anymore. And I doubt he reads forums. Old man just out of touch.

overcast

A lot of good rookies need to switch it up a bit or drop more material. Feel like Wiki could benefit from dropping Hak and getting a more focused project out. Goldlink and Rashad both need another project. Feel like Gold can push pretty far into that dance-y vibe.

Fjordson

Yeah, GoldLink and Rashad need follow ups. Will be hyped for both whenever word of them gets out.

tde's so incompetent when it comes to anything but kendrick. like..where the hell is druggys with hoes 3? they could at least release that online regardless of sample issues.

jay rock has no career, ab soul killed his god flow with drugs and aliens, Q...I dunno, oxy killed the hype even though HnC is best TDE album.
Yeah, Isaiah Rashad is the only dude I'm still interested in from TDE tbh.

Forgot I also know most of Labella Mafia and "Crush on You" by Lil' Kim and "Perfect Getaway" by Klassy by heart as well. Oh shit, "My Neck, My Back" and "Put It in Your Mouth" too.

I'm not sure why only certain songs are eidetic for me while I might listen to other ones a lot more. I think maybe enunciation and flow have some part in that.

I only like Eminem's first two albums. I have not paid attention to anything he has done really after Marshall Mathers LP. I can't remember any songs after that. I have "White America", but I have no memory of when that song was released. I checked up on his releases a couple years ago and was disappointed.

I live in a dream world where one day we'll get to hear all these songs Eminem and Dre have recorded. I remember seeing a Dre interview last month saying that he's still in the studio every week...let us hear some of that shit lol

I guess when you look at guys that left us too early like Pac and Biggie, previously unheard remnants of their catalogues did eventually become released. It feels weird to say "I hope I outlive Em and Dre" though even though it'll happen naturally lol

PARTYNEXTDOOR and iLoveMakonnen didn't even want the attention it seems. Also apparently OG Maco signed to Capitol.

watching now and I know he has the Drake co-sign but lol PND could use some attention

yeah but what did alc do on it. oh no and tangerine dream were on the track too. So i figured it was a group effort.

Alch produced most of the tracks though. Oh No did some as well. Plus even if Alch wanted to use samples....just look at the liner notes of MMLP2 breh. Samples include Game Of Love, Time Of The Season...sample clearance isn't an issue lol.

yeah but what did alc do on it. oh no and tangerine dream were on the track too. So i figured it was a group effort.

There's a lot of crossover on that game's score, but you can hear who had their hands on the core of each track.

This is a Tangerine Dream track.
This is a Woody Jackson track.
This is an Alchemist & Oh No track.

And that's on the official score where DJ Shadow was mixing and matching all kinds of different stems from each artist. In the game or in the OST rips all over Youtube it's even more obvious who did what.

As for the Welcome To Los Santos album, I believe that's all Alchemist & Oh No working from Rockstar's pool of music.

BFK is the the essential Gibbs project

one of the GOAT gaf hop moments was when we all heard this for the first time.
ay48zzn.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
BFK was an mc w #veryrare talent at the peak of his hook game w not just great prod but prod perfectly honed w his style

Nibel

It's not even just the graphics tbh, it was an underwhelming trailer all around. Like if they have some amazing 15 minute demo at E3 showing all kinds of dynamic interaction and world state changing, I'll be fine with the 2010 graphics, but that trailer was a bunch of nothing. Could've told me it was a Fallout 3/NV texture mod trailer and I'd be like "Yeah OK, I believe that."

EDIT: Maybe I'm over videogame trailers. I need gameplay.

I tend to agree.

I mean, the visuals are one thing; this game is obviously coming to last-gen at some point and I also understand that Bethesda's games are crazy dynamic and therefore very CPU heavy which is something you have to consider if you bring it to current-gen.

But the trailer itself.. I dunno, it's like what the ending of BioShock Infinite implied. It's always a town, always some flashback at the beginning and always a Road Warrior reference. Like I get they did this on purpose, but shit some of the character models like the robot look like they lifted them straight from Fallout 3. The cities have much bigger scale and detail, but everything else feels very like FO3.

Still interested in the game, but yeah, really looking forward to that gameplay demo at E3.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Been developing this new ridic drunk/party pl. done this many times b4, gt so much shit archived. seen dudes spinning tonight, doing their thing at the bar/club and I know I could do so much better it's ridiculous. Just gotta keep workin hard N developing.

BFK was an mc w #veryrare talent at the peak of his hook game w not just great prod but prod perfectly honed w his style

Yep yep yep. I remember being surprised at the dude successfully switching it up on Str8 Killa No Filla with soulful shit like 'Do Wrong', then he just perfected it on BFK.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Eminem is fucking rich he can afford to clear the samples if he wants to make good music

That's the whole problem. He's a dude who has been hated by somebody every step of his career, and usually publicly and in ways that made news. Obviously, we all think we're doing great shit and I doubt famous rappers are any different. That's why we need people around us to be like "Nah, maybe don't make a whole album where you affect a nasally, weird accent for no reason."

He and the rest of D-12 always said Proof was the one that kept them from doing a ton of dumb shit. He's gone and it's clear that the people around him now are 2.0 yes men who are just happy to have a hot meal now and again.

Add to that that he could still fart into a mic and move T-Swizzle numbers and you have a recipe for thinking you're doing great shit when you're really just embarrassing your legacy.

Kopite

That's the whole problem. He's a dude who has been hated by somebody every step of his career, and usually publicly and in ways that made news. Obviously, we all think we're doing great shit and I doubt famous rappers are any different. That's why we need people around us to be like "Nah, maybe don't make a whole album where you affect a nasally, weird accent for no reason."

He and the rest of D-12 always said Proof was the one that kept them from doing a ton of dumb shit. He's gone and it's clear that the people around him now are 2.0 yes men who are just happy to have a hot meal now and again.

Add to that that he could still fart into a mic and move T-Swizzle numbers and you have a recipe for thinking you're doing great shit when you're really just embarrassing your legacy.

Does he though? In nearly everything post Relapse he keeps saying he's not as good as he once was.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Does he though? In nearly everything post Relapse he keeps saying he's not as good as he once was.

While still saying he's the best. Even his staunchiest stans have got to be like "Eh..maybe on legacy, sure." If he had the ability to be real with himself, he wouldn't be making the music he's making. Somebody with his talent, his connects and his money can make literally any music he wants.

Deniro Farrar can pique your interest but hardly hold it. Dude has great tone, delivery, relative skill, but for god sakes he needs to diversify his songs a bit. Dude either needs to seek out more producers or work on his songwriting crazy.

He has a spark, and I want to like him, but getting through his shit can be a slog.
My main complaint. He has everything and nothing at the same time. So frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom