• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Ferg went off the rails as well, whole camp is prolly fucked; no creative vision anymore

Which is fine by me since I'm ready for some new faces that deserve attention

The thing I don't get about Rocky is that he let other people take his swag. Drake pretty much jacked Big Sean's flow...but Sean didn't respond by becoming something else. He kept doing his shit and has had success. Rocky claims everyone stole his style from him and responded by...trying to become a wack rock star. I haven't heard the album but the impressions I've heard aren't good. Why not just double down and give the fans what they want? Or, why not go the Kanye route and try to make glossier trap shit with some orchestras, guitars, and Grey Poupon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Complete opposite reaction for Rocky here. First listen was super meh but I find myself going through the entire album quite a bit (which is rare because I almost never do this) and it's creeping up on my list of the best albums this year.

Couple different vibes and above all those songs do them justice, and I think it keeps my attention better than most big releases by flipping between different sounds but not in such an incoherent way. I think the last sequence is pretty bad but most of the album is more than listenable. Feels like a more complete evolution of his mixtape TBH, sans Clams of course.

I do agree with I think it was HRD that said if you cut out half the songs it'd make a great project. Get rid of L$D, Westside Highway, Back Home, Dreams, Everyday, Max B, maybe Jukebox Joints and Excuse me, and it's a knockout. The rest of the songs are great and I've called albums that have less keepers "good" for having nothing notable but keeping a consistent vibe throughout (bad reason to give an album a pass IMO), so I don't see a problem in calling this album good when the standouts are that good.

Tokubetsu

The thing I don't get about Rocky is that he let other people take his swag. Drake pretty much jacked Big Sean's flow...but Sean didn't respond by becoming something else. He kept doing his shit and has had success. Rocky claims everyone stole his style from him and responded by...trying to become a wack rock star. I haven't heard the album but the impressions I've heard aren't good. Why not just double down and give the fans what they want? Or, why not go the Kanye route and try to make glossier trap shit with some orchestras, guitars, and Grey Poupon.

Lowkey kinda interested in you going through it and giving us a write up. Yours and Esch's breakdowns are some of my favorites in this thread.

I know and respect a couple peopple who actually *really* like the album but it's not for me. I fuck with Canal St, LPFJ2 and Schoolboy Q track but thats about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpCkuftmJM

scust....he has a 7mil view song in 2015 tho? I had assumed Chief was gone, never to be heard of again.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgw7Yv8je-k
ayyy lmao what the fuck
Chief Keef still gets heavy rotation on rap blogs, and has never stopped doing so. There was a decent length of time where pretty much anything he shit out got 1M+ views too, don't forget.

I don't get it, or who these people are, but it is what it is.

Fjordson

The Chief Keef thing always really confused me. Think people in 20 years will look back on his time as a really bizarre time capsule type thing.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Chief Keef still gets heavy rotation on rap blogs, and has never stopped doing so. There was a decent length of time where pretty much anything he shit out got 1M+ views too, don't forget.

I don't get it, or who these people are, but it is what it is.
suburban white kids. that's his audience.

Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge - Let The Record Spin Feat. Raekwon

tbh I knew I wouldn't fuck with this 5 seconds in. Dude just doesn't "get" live instrumental rap IMO. People sample soul records because of the grooves, and then they throw in a drum sample that further brings it to life. If you're going to do live instrument rap you need to replicate that: give me something a rapper can flow to, and something I as a listener can nod my head to.

Those slow ass funeral drums at the beginning, mixed with lifeless keys...nah.

Fjordson

tbh I knew I wouldn't fuck with this 5 seconds in. Dude just doesn't "get" live instrumental rap IMO. People sample soul records because of the grooves, and then they throw in a drum sample that further brings it to life. If you're going to do live instrument rap you need to replicate that: give me something a rapper can flow to, and something I as a listener can nod my head to.

Shiat, I dunno, kinda like this.

Lame hook though. Sounds like Shawn Wigs or some shit.

Apollo Brown version pls

Lowkey kinda interested in you going through it and giving us a write up. Yours and Esch's breakdowns are some of my favorites in this thread.

I know and respect a couple peopple who actually *really* like the album but it's not for me. I fuck with Canal St, LPFJ2 and Schoolboy Q track but thats about it.

Not even LSD? I would think you would fuck with that and pharsyde

The chorus in lsd is so damn good, a shame the wack rapping part breaks the chill flow of it all

Shit just aint hittin man.

All that "musical genius" for what?

overcast

Ferg went off the rails as well, whole camp is prolly fucked; no creative vision anymore

Which is fine by me since I'm ready for some new faces that deserve attention
I mean Ferg still needs to drop a follow up before I say he's dropped. He's lost relativity to an extent but who really gives a shit about that? He's been embraced by the hipster/p4k crowd which is odd.

His mixtape was bad though.

Nabs

those drums zzzzz

I need Ghost over someone like Jake One.

HiResDes

I still believe in Ferg. I've shared my disappointment in Ferg Forever a few times already, but it's a good example of what I meant by an interesting misfire. It's all over the fuckin place, but I could feel the guy really putting himself and his energy into the music. It was a mess, but I'll take that any day over Rocky's more collected tepidness.
Pretty spot on, Ja Rule is still a great track too lol.

Cudder

People getting mad at Snoop in 2015? TBH his approach is somewhat refreshing. He doesn't give a fuck and won't make fake apologies. He's ignorant and doesn't care.

Worked out well for Kanye.

edit: if Rocky is really finished after ALLA, I thank him for at least dapping Bones and getting him exposure. Thanks Rocky, you can see yourself out now.

first week sales of 2015

Drake - 495k
Kendrick - 324k
Big Sean - 139k
Rocky - 116k
Wale - 88k
Ludacris - 62k
Boosie - 59k
Tech N9ne - 58k
Joey Badass - 54k
Chris Bown & Tyga - 51k
Tyler, the Creator - 51k
Yelawolf - 51k
Action Bronson 44k
Lupe Fiasco - 39k
Rae Sremmurd - 34k
Kid Ink - 28k
Earl - 27k
Snoop Dogg - 27k
Lil Durk - 24k
Young Thug - 17k

DominoKid

was surprised at luda numbers but then i realized his fans are all middle-aged folks now that don't want to bother with stealing music.

PBY

Banned
first week sales of 2015

Drake - 495k
Kendrick - 324k
Big Sean - 139k
Rocky - 116k
Wale - 88k
Ludacris - 62k
Boosie - 59k
Tech N9ne - 58k
Joey Badass - 54k
Chris Bown & Tyga - 51k
Tyler, the Creator - 51k
Yelawolf - 51k
Action Bronson 44k
Lupe Fiasco - 39k
Rae Sremmurd - 34k
Kid Ink - 28k
Earl - 27k
Snoop Dogg - 27k
Lil Durk - 24k
Young Thug - 17k
WOAH DER BOI

Young Magus

Yo its been a while since I've been in here.

Anything out recently thats fire?!? Withim the past month or 2 or 3?!? Beat tapes, instrumentals?!?

HiResDes

first week sales of 2015

Drake - 495k
Kendrick - 324k
Big Sean - 139k
Rocky - 116k
Wale - 88k
Ludacris - 62k
Boosie - 59k
Tech N9ne - 58k
Joey Badass - 54k
Chris Bown & Tyga - 51k