• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Late breh
I been had known nigga but it's great enough to repost

Got the email for cliff of death ii but the link doesn't work supposed to be on band camp.

Up:

7JARCTD.gif

Flying Lotus collab supposedly

Stephen Bruner (bka Thundercat) will release his first solo material in two years next week on his old label, Brainfeeder, after having worked on two of the best-received records of 2015 so far: Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly and Kamasi Washington’s jazz odyssey The Epic. The Beyond / Where The Giants Roam has been labeled a mini-album, and will feature a total of six tracks; it follows Thundercat’s 2013 sophomore full-length, Apocalypse. “Them Changes” was co-produced by Flying Lotus and features Washington on saxophone. Listen below.

Yep, definitely sounds like he's involved.

I'm really looking forward to Terrace Martin's album too, which will also feature Thundercat and Kamasi Washington. I'm very interested in what all these guys do in the coming months. Washington has really gained a lot of acclaim and perhaps some of the most animated responses to a jazz artist I've seen since Glasper.

It'll be interesting to see where Kendrick goes next. He did an interview recently where he said the general sound and concept of this album was something he once thought would be on his fourth or fifth album, while noting traditionally a sophomore album tends to be the commercial reach. Will he go for that next? It seems to me that trap is going to remain the dominant hip hop sound over the next couple years at least, so will he return to that (to a degree) like GKMC? Or perhaps mix up his sounds, some GKMC shit and some jazz/funk shit. If I had a wish/suggestion I'd love to see a return to basslines, kicks, and hard drums. Whether it's incorporated into trap or something else, I just want to see that. One of the many things I hate about trap is how weak and artificial the drums are; everything relies on the 808s. Give me Blacker The Berry type aggressive, loud drums, actual basslines, and then put your 808s in there.

Kwixotik

In a way I think it's more consistent. Less traditional BSBD sound though but I guess only one of the dudes was involved? Deniro sounds a lot angrier and harsher here as well.

Just finished my first listen. I agree it's more consistent in terms of tone. I think the first 3 tracks were weaker than the last 4, but I'm not sure if it's because they actually were or if it took me that long to get into the mood of the EP. Production is top quality.

Gonna have to listen to it a few more times before I have a real opinion on it though. It's definitely worth a listen.

Deniro definitely sounds angrier and more energetic on Cliff of Death 2. Harkens back to DESTINY. altered a bit. Dope production and solid hooks too.

I like it a lot.

Vlad is trash lol.

You know I agree about disposable hip hop. I realized yesterday that I've only heard one rap song on the radio this month that wasn't a club track of some type (you a bad bitch and you know it/drug use/sex/etc) - this. That's literally it, and I'd imagine it's not getting much play outside of Michigan. I don't say that to take some Coli-esque morality/conspiracy stance. I just bring it up to note the absolute lack of diversity on urban radio. Everyone wants a fucking McChicken - but do they want it because they like it, or because that's the only thing on the menu? I'm not sure.

All I know is that this shit is trash, and every two years someone else magically appears who captures the zeitgeist...with the same basic message/sound. Young Thug will be looking around wondering wtf happened soon, just like 2 Chainz.

T Dollarz

Cliff of Death II is wavy as FUCK. Way better than the first one. Very nice. Probably my favorite Deniro project already outside of the first Patriarch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom