• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Yo, Nacho Picasso and Gucci on this new Deniro EP?

JbPCScC.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of bigger stuff dropped today I guess:

alleyes.jpg

Meek Mill ft. Nicki Minaj & Chris Brown - All Eyes On You. This might explode.

Pharrell - Freedom preview. Will premiere with Apple Music.

Ty Dolla $ign ft. Future & Rae Sremmurd - Blase. Not feeling this.

Young Thug - Money. First single off of his project with London On The Track, which is releasing the same day as Wayne's album lol

Rick Ross ft. Future - Neighbourhood Drug Dealer (Remix). Kind of odd.

XXL Freestyle - Kidd Kidd. Is it just me or does dude look like he's wearing his fathers clothes? Probably either the best or 2nd best one of these thus far, alongside Vince Staples.
XXL Profile - Kidd Kidd.

Cheddahz

Banned
After replaying the album over and over this week, I wouldn't be surprised if the Vince Staples ends up being AOTY (easily the best rap album I've heard this year)

omg watch the entire video, being careful not to accidentally say that RZA was off that PCP too. This dude is spitting some BARS

I started taking enbalment fluid at like 16. It wasn't nothing rigorous or anything tho, I didn't make it a part of my diet until like 21.

Vlad: So it says that you cut your penis off:
Bearer: I mean don't believe everything you read, you kno-
Vlad: Did you cut your penis off?
Bearer: I mean, no I did. I fucked up my n***a in a lot of ways but at the same time I didn't cut my penis off and shit, I probably get more pussy than you. But I did cut a lot of my penis off. We still hangin' my n***a, I'm able to work with what I 'm working with and get it down.

Monks cut off their testicles? I don't know what they do but they ain't do what I did

The knife? Or whatever I had? It was too sharp. It was too sharp. Cause what I did... my shit was like... that shit was too sharp.

Like, I did the cut, but I think I cut too much man

I was yelling. It was a celebration. It's still a celebration. Biatch.

I'm still out there working harder than I used to. All praise to Allah, I'm working hard out there.

I can't stop laughing at this dude's demeanor omg

this man has been to the twilight zone, great interview. ramblings from an insane dude, don't know what RZA was thinking signing him

he about to produce his whole album exclusively with beats from guitar center

omg watch the entire video, being careful not to accidentally say that RZA was off that PCP too. This dude is spitting some BARS

I started taking enbalment fluid at like 16. It wasn't nothing rigorous or anything tho, I didn't make it a part of my diet until like 21.

Vlad: So it says that you cut your penis off:
Bearer: I mean don't believe everything you read, you kno-
Vlad: Did you cut your penis off?
Bearer: I mean, no I did. I fucked up my n***a in a lot of ways but at the same time I didn't cut my penis off and shit, I probably get more pussy than you. But I did cut a lot of my penis off. We still hangin' my n***a, I'm able to work with what I 'm working with and get it down.

Monks cut off their testicles? I don't know what they do but they ain't do what I did

The knife? Or whatever I had? It was too sharp. It was too sharp. Cause what I did... my shit was like... that shit was too sharp.

Like, I did the cut, but I think I cut too much man

I was yelling. It was a celebration. It's still a celebration. Biatch.

I'm still out there working harder than I used to. All praise to Allah, I'm working hard out there.

I can't stop laughing at this dude's demeanor omg

This is dead ass the best vlad video (low bar I know) dude has ever put out.

"We had a pcp party nahmean"

T Dollarz

Yeah, the Staples album does continue to get better with each listen I must say. He's really riding these smooth ass beats in ways that were missing from his past projects. Shows lots of range. Album isn't boring, the problem I've had with his last couple. This is really nice...

HiResDes

King Los is a good rapper with a fractured identity. His latest album starts off rather strong. There's this passionate spiritual message that resonates throughout many of the songs and both the beats and his verses seem pretty dynamic. However it starts to get quite pedantic as it goes and there are these radio friendly songs that seem completely out of place without fitting into any sort of larger narrative or purposeful structural progression. The very lude and base nature of the songs seems precisely at odds with the holier than thou street preacher vibe coming from some of the songs. The beats and features are all well picked and Los' skill at constructing vivid allegories to profess his moral ideals are mostly quite astute, but in the end he fails to connect to the listener on an intimate, personal level, which also lessens the impact of his overarching message.

...This is all coming from an Atheist though so take it with a grain of salt.

King Los is a good rapper with a fractured identity. His latest album starts off rather strong. There's this passionate spiritual message that resonates throughout many of the songs and both the beats and his verses seem pretty dynamic. However it starts to get quite pedantic as it goes and there are these radio friendly songs that seem completely out of place without fitting into any sort of larger narrative or purposeful structural progression. The very lude and base nature of the songs seems precisely at odds with the holier than thou street preacher vibe coming from some of the songs. The beats and features are all well picked and Los' skill at constructing vivid allegories to profess his moral ideals are mostly quite astute, but in the end he fails to connect to the listener on an intimate, personal level, which also lessens the impact of his overarching message.

...This is all coming from an Atheist though so take it with a grain of salt.

I agree with your view. You could argue the album title in of itself alludes to the contradictions that are later presented on the album; the intro tracks seem to coincide with God, the middle with Money, and the tail end with War. However while the shift from socially conscious rapping to club anthems is jarring, my bigger issue is that the club anthems just aren't good. There's a very Lupe-esque attempt to somehow enlighten the concept of "the club record" by making it as rappity rap or lyrical as possible, when in reality all this does is make the record fail. No one wants to hear rapid fire raps at a club, even if the beat is banging.

Ultimately Los is a great rapper but struggles at songwriting. The album has a few truly staggeringly great tracks, but I think he overthinks more than he hits the nail on the head (songwriting wise, not lyrically or thematically).

I agree with your view. You could argue the album title in of itself alludes to the contradictions that are later presented on the album; the intro tracks seem to coincide with God, the middle with Money, and the tail end with War. However while the shift from socially conscious rapping to club anthems is jarring, my bigger issue is that the club anthems just aren't good. There's a very Lupe-esque attempt to somehow enlighten the concept of "the club record" by making it as rappity rap or lyrical as possible, when in reality all this does is make the record fail. No one wants to hear rapid fire raps at a club, even if the beat is banging.

Ultimately Los is a great rapper but struggles at songwriting. The album has a few truly staggeringly great tracks, but I think he overthinks more than he hits the nail on the head (songwriting wise, not lyrically or thematically).

you or HRD wanna bless me with your picks of the best tracks off the album?

effzee

Travi$ Scott interview.

On SWISH: "It's way beyond what people are thinking. People think they hear All Day and that's the vibe of the album. Nah man, it's on some whole other level shit." Reiterates a bit that Kanye is back on the boards.

Rodeo before August.

lmao

I bet they have been working on the drums for over a year now.

Anywho I know it's Big Sean but I can't help but like the song with Aiko he has off his album. "You Know"

Better with the video too.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Best year for hip hop in a long time and we're not even halfway through. Can't wait to listen to Vince Staples.

Hopefully Schoolboy blesses us this year. And Yeezy too.

codhand

hlRtF9x.png

heard the album a few times now. although i too think the (albeit great) production takes center stage a bit too hamhandedly, i'm liking vince's raw lyrical and storytelling abilities. he goes into each track painter-status, never dropping throwaway metaphor bars, and always showcasing his trademark, breath control and verbal dexterity.

i really enjoy the album right up until Might Be Wrong which feels like MBDTF leftovers, and drags the album down. even though it features a great message, if i stop to think "what was vince's involvement on a song like this?" for more than a second i end up disconnected. overall i will keep bumping this for a while, it has tons of depth.

T Dollarz

OMG NEW QUELLE CHRIS COMING JULY 10TH!!!!!!

Where the Wild Things Roam (Video)

God damn. This fucking year, man. Rocky had the only real disappointment for me so far (Though I didn't really expect much tbh). Also I thought Barter 6 was pretty trash, but everyone in here seems to love it and to be fair I only gave it one real listen but it didn't click with me at all.

Anyways, that Quelle Chris track came on my shuffle yesterday, I've got many shades, I'm calico-cat... So good. I'm ready for more. Let's see how he builds on those last two albums (One was much better than the other)

Nibel

What is it that makes the production from each year sound "newer" than the last?

Is it technological advances or changes in technique?

In my opinion we are constantly in a cycle of production. People take things from the past and give it their own/modern spin. This also leads more producers to dive into new genres and experiment with sounds that are not present in the status quo.

Maybe wrong, but who knows - I'm interested in a better explanation as well.

HiResDes

Man Tyga really changed his entire voice on the album to the point that it doesn't even sound like himself. Not sure how I feel about it definitely bumps with some of the hooks and beats, but completely by the numbers verses just painstakingly predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom