• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Negative impression on Eat, Pray, Thug are killing me. Nehru Jackets is one of my top albums so far this decade. I really wanted this to be good, but now I think I'm not even gonna buy it.

1)Warning

My number 1 Biggie track also. Would put Respect up there too. Gimme the Loot is top 5 censored tracks even when you bought the explicit version of the album. WTF was up with that?

BokehKing

Banned
Negative impression on Eat, Pray, Thug are killing me. Nehru Jackets is one of my top albums so far this decade. I really wanted this to be good, but now I think I'm not even gonna buy it.

My number 1 Biggie track also. Would put Respect up there too. Gimme the Loot is top 5 censored tracks even when you bought the explicit version of the album. WTF was up with that?

Talking about sticking up pregnant women is just not a good look in general lol

Wait does that mean it's actually gonna be called How To Pimp A Butterfly?

Maybe, who knows. I'm fine with it. Seems to signify a theme on the corruption of innocence. TBTB and yesterday's freestyles feature a variety of lyrics about drugs and guns being dumped in the cities, which we then use on each other. He's trying to save his homies but they're so trapped within the system they can't let go. One of the lines in the freestyle was about how he showed his homie pictures of a foreign country he visited on tour, but the dude still couldn't "get" that there is life outside of sets, gangs, etc.

BokehKing

Banned
I'll leave the jay-z dissing alone, it's obviously a very touchy topic here

But I do want to bring back up something I said before, about the radio format, and the lack of growth for artists as well.

Before Pac and Biggie died
Radio stations (depending on where you lived) play talent from your region.

West Coast, obviously played and catered to music from the left. Your G-Funk, your bay-area, ect ect

East Coast, obviously played stuff from artists from the 5 boro's and Long Island.

The South, I don't even remember what the south had.....2 Live Cru, OutKast, Goodie Mob, 8-Ball and MJG, Dungeon Family ect ect

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, a lot of those artists that came up through the ranks, that went on to make classic albums, started off regional, and were only played on regional radio.

You can turn on the radio, and you didn't hear party anthems 24/7, you heard real hip hop. It wasn't dumbed down stuff, one second you had Biggie & Total "Can't you see" the next you had GZA with "I Gotcha Back". One second you had Shook Ones Pt 2 playing, the next minute you could hear Group Home's Supa Star. At night you had the battle of the beats, and they were new songs on the street that were given a chance to get some shine.

All that stopped when you had to share the air space with other regions. I think that hurt artists and it hurt regional sound as well.

That's just my two cents

The what was damn amazing. Meth killed that shit. Only guest on Ready to Die and deservedly so after that song.

WW has me dying catching up on the thread.

Coming in here and saying a bunch of dumb shit prefaced with "Ill be back next year" or whatever the fuck you said is corny. Drive by attention seeking posting is sad, especially for a grown man. The door is that way.

I'll leave the jay-z dissing alone, it's obviously a very touchy topic here

But I do want to bring back up something I said before, about the radio format, and the lack of growth for artists as well.

Before Pac and Biggie died
Radio stations (depending on where you lived) play talent from your region.

West Coast, obviously played and catered to music from the left. Your G-Funk, your bay-area, ect ect

East Coast, obviously played stuff from artists from the 5 boro's and Long Island.

The South, I don't even remember what the south had.....2 Live Cru, OutKast, Goodie Mob, 8-Ball and MJG, Dungeon Family ect ect

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, a lot of those artists that came up through the ranks, that went on to make classic albums, started off regional, and were only played on regional radio.

You can turn on the radio, and you didn't hear party anthems 24/7, you heard real hip hop. It wasn't dumbed down stuff, one second you had Biggie & Total "Can't you see" the next you had GZA with "I Gotcha Back". One second you had Shook Ones Pt 2 playing, the next minute you could hear Group Home's Supa Star. At night you had the battle of the beats, and they were new songs on the street that were given a chance to get some shine.

All that stopped when you had to share the air space with other regions. I think that hurt artists and it hurt regional sound as well.

That's just my two cents

Actually that's not how it was. The south played a lot of east and west coast shit, in fact more than their own shit for awhile. TBH the only truly segregated coast was the east: NY radio was 99% east coast shit until Dre dropped The Chronic. In fact outside of Dre and Snoop there wasn't much west coast shit on the radio in NY; I've heard Ice Cube didn't even get much play for Amerikkka's Most Wanted despite doing it with The Bombsquad.

The south always had respect for east and west, hence why so many early southern artists had a chip on their shoulder: they showed respect but weren't given the dap they deserved.

With respect to diversity...go back and look at hip hop charts from 94. The majority is party shit breh. Yes there was more diversity than now but it was never 50-50.

IrishNinja

Little_Brother_-_The_Listening.jpg

classic or nah? discuss
it's not at all a perfect album but i says yes

IrishNinja

Little brother is classic but I don't think they had a classic album.

yeah, that's fair too
it's interesting looking back at the influence they ended up having though; in the mid aughts i didn't feel/see any of that

also the way they'd kinda take shots on gangsta/drug/backpack etc on different tracks (wanna say moreso Minstrel Show) used to remind me a bit of De La sometimes

The Listening is a definitely classic IMO. It's one of the first albums that really dominated and united the early stages of the online underground rap scene; Madvillainy came out the next year.

It helped birth a lot of the wave we're seeing now with Drake/Kendrick/Cole. Esch can get mad all he wants but style wise Drake is basically a lightskinned Phonte, and he'll admit it. Not saying he's as good obviously, but the sing rapping and his cadence? That's Phonte.

jordisok

Little brother is classic but I don't think they had a classic album.

This is exactly how I feel. Their first 2 albums both a little bloated but they're kinda personal classics for me, Listening is just such an easy album to let play through, if I walk to work it takes me like an hour and it's perfect.

BokehKing

Banned
Actually that's not how it was. The south played a lot of east and west coast shit, in fact more than their own shit for awhile. TBH the only truly segregated coast was the east: NY radio was 99% east coast shit until Dre dropped The Chronic. In fact outside of Dre and Snoop there wasn't much west coast shit on the radio in NY; I've heard Ice Cube didn't even get much play for Amerikkka's Most Wanted despite doing it with The Bombsquad.

The south always had respect for east and west, hence why so many early southern artists had a chip on their shoulder: they showed respect but weren't given the dap they deserved.

With respect to diversity...go back and look at hip hop charts from 94. The majority is party shit breh. Yes there was more diversity than now but it was never 50-50.
Well in that case New York radio was the only ones that got it right imo

When a new guy with talent was coming out, they got air play, if the song did not take off, it did not get rotation, your songs got played if you were good.

Yeah there was party joints on the radio, but you also had hard-core songs on the radio as well. You would never hear a song like Glaciers of Ice, Survival of the Fittest or Le'Flaur Le'flah Eshkoshka on the radio now a days. That's a god damn shame.

BokehKing

Banned
The amount of music that is readily available on the Internet more than picks up the slack.
This is true, but at the same time, these guys on the Internet, some of them deserve to break through, with a region based radio format, I feel like they would have a better chance to.

Instead of competing with every superstar from every region, it would allow home town talent to shine.

As far as traditional radio, because of changes its been dead to me, I get my hip hop fixes from satellite radio now.

Well in that case New York radio was the only ones that got it right imo

When a new guy with talent was coming out, they got air play, if the song did not take off, it did not get rotation, your songs got played if you were good.

Yeah there was party joints on the radio, but you also had hard-core songs on the radio as well. You would never hear a song like Glaciers of Ice, Survival of the Fittest or Le'Flaur Le'flah Eshkoshka on the radio now a days. That's a god damn shame.

breh the 90s were like the peak of payola DJ fuckery...

Tokubetsu

Yep. I mean even people like Drake are putting stuff out with no radio promo. Traditional radio is dying like print media.

Gonna be playing this tonight. I hope it's good. Some people are saying the level design is weaker than the first.

It's very much a Terminator 1 to Terminator 2 scenario. It's less janky feeling, way more polished in just about every area. Hurts some of the weird and mystery that the first game had but if you loved the first game I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy this one.

I was trying to make sure you got the gift and you are trap jesus on steam. Guess that is a yes?

Yep!

BokehKing

Banned
breh the 90s were like the peak of payola DJ fuckery...
Ok... What artist were coming out then that got radio play that you felt was undeserving due to payola?

Or... What artist do you think benefited from payola outside the major players.

For example, I don't see primo coming out of pocket to get group home on the radio
But I can see puffy paying to have the one more chance remix played a ridiculous amount of times to the point where I was getting sick of that song.

Ok... What artist were coming out then that got radio play that you felt was undeserving due to payola?

Or... What artist do you think benefited from payola outside the major players.

For example, I don't see primo coming out of pocket to get group home on the radio
But I can see puffy paying to have the one more chance remix played a ridiculous amount of times to the point where I was getting sick of that song.

My point is simply that it was happening. Funk Flex took money all the time. Hov paid for air play on Reasonable Doubt. Obviously that album wasn't wack but you get my point. Labels paid for play, DJs had favorites, etc.

BokehKing

Banned
My point is simply that it was happening. Funk Flex took money all the time. Hov paid for air play on Reasonable Doubt. Obviously that album wasn't wack but you get my point. Labels paid for play, DJs had favorites, etc.
Nah I get it, I just don't think it ever really stopped you know?

I mean outside of brilliant marketing by 50 cent on the mixture circuit to elevate him above the hole he dug himself in the past I'm sure jimmy iovine was still lining pockets for play.

Edit 2: first time I heard Eminem was on a stretch and bobbitto show months before slim shady was released to the public as a single with a video, you knew it was going to be something different and special but I feel like it wasn't until the money started flowing before he actually got during the day airplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom