• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup. They can plead innocence all they want but major labels play this game all the time. Under normal circumstances a label will at least require an artist to get to a certain level of weekly radio spins before contemplating increasing it artificially. It's a game of inflation. That's not to say every big hit on the radio is tampered with, just that labels have a hand in what gets played.

Remember that Talib Kweli interview where Ebro claimed payola doesn't happen anymore, and Kweli straight up said he paid to have his single played on the station? Ebro tried to cop pleas on some "well I must not have been in that day" steez but nah...that shit happens. Even if it's not cash, it's access to artists, invitations to parties, etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wouldn't call it payola necessarily, though it isn't really the most democratic system.

Even in the latest Noisey Atlanta they talked about the "distributors" in the chain. Maybe you liked it better when Def Jam called them "street teams" but that's the same shit essentially. You need connections and that is the value of those individuals. I don't see it as being much different from coming up under someone like a DJ Drama. No matter what, a networking element is needed where one person needs to convince another person that this is worth listening to over the million soundclouds in their e-mail, the same way an artist needs to convince that bar/club/restaurant owner to let him perform their first show.

FWIW, I feel the Tip association did more for Iggy before ClearChannel rocketed that shit into another level.

surprised you like it, Fruity Loops drums and all

Don't get me wrong, I think 9th had a great production run for a bit; the first two Little Brother albums, Murs albums, Threat on the Black Album, etc. I was fine with his drums at the time; they weren't as hard as I like them but the beats were dope. The issue I have is that 5, 10, 15 years later he's putting out shit with the same drum patterns and that shit sounds laughable when compared to other producer's drums. No evolution, he's stuck in the past. I said it awhile ago but it seems like those soul loop producers either eventually reached god mode (Kanye, Just Blaze) or were stuck in a cycle of diminishing returns (9th, Heatmakerz, etc).

The Listening is just dope. Lots of great lyricism and acrobatic flows. Phonte owns that project.

Courage

That's the only thing he has going for him, and it's still hit or miss.

I can see his rapping turning monotonous since he doesn't change up his inflection much. He seems to flow well on these beats tho, which are pretty distinct for another trap record.

XBP

Just a matter of days now.

5jLdW13.png

RBK

Banned
Zaytoen is the ATL trap sound, either him or Drumma Boy. Everyone else has to pay homage.

Lex Luger fell off so there shouldn't any surprise why he's not in the video, but his influence is pretty evident.

Yeah and Zaytoven is from San Francisco when he originally made the So Icey GUCCI and Jeezy weren't feeling it at first since it was heavily a bay inspired beat.

brainfeeder from ktt, who has been dropping a variety of info on Kendrick's album:
Montreality hmu on twitter. He said he's interviewing DJ Quik on Monday. Quik told him Kendrick had this idea for his new album while creating GKMC

Quik also said Kendrick samples this on the album. whew. Quik seems like the perfect producer for Kendrick's style.

CRS

brainfeeder from ktt, who has been dropping a variety of info on Kendrick's album:

Quik also said Kendrick samples this on the album. whew. Quik seems like the perfect producer for Kendrick's style.

Yoooooooooooooo, I haven't listened to this in forever.

Quik the God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom