• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

What's your guys hip-hop top 10s looking like so far?

Here's mine:

1. Today, I Wrote Nothing - Billy Woods
  2. Third Side Of Tape - Lil Ugly Mane
  3. Days With Dr. Yen Lo - Ka
  4. Jenny Death - Death Grips
  5. I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside - Earl
  6. 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms - Denzel Curry
  7. Mr. Wonderful - Action Bronson
  8. Barter 6 - Young Thug
  9. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
  10. Future - 56 Nights

HM:
Summertime 06, Cost Of Victory, Ghetto Beach Boyz, Stoned & Dethroned, Who's Gonna Get Fucked First, Thug Angel (s/o Des), Pilot Talk III

Been trying to catch up on a lot of the music I missed too. I'm gonna feed off Des' rap-up and your guys lists.

1. Slum Village - Yes!
2. Kendrick - TPAB
3. Thugga - Barter 6
4. Drake - IYRTITL
5. Oddisee - The Good Fight

Madlib ‘Mind Fusion: African Earwax’ Mixtape

Previously this month at an MF DOOM and Jason Jagel show, Madlib dropped a new mixtape titled Mind Fusion: African Earwax. Limited to only 30 physical copies, each CD sold at the show featured a unique drawing from Jagel, making this a must-have a for the Madlib fan. (Good luck getting your hands on one though.) Now, Rappcats has made the entire mixtape available to for stream.

Listen to Mind Fusion: African Earwax below.
http://massappeal.com/madlib-mind-fusion-african-earwax-mixtape/

Here's mine:

8. Barter 6 - Young Thug
  10. Future - 56 Nights

HM:
Summertime 06, Cost Of Victory, Ghetto Beach Boyz, Stoned & Dethroned, Who's Gonna Get Fucked First, Thug Angel (s/o Des), Pilot Talk III, B4FRVR, Beast Mode

Been trying to catch up on a lot of the music I missed too. I'm gonna feed off Des' rap-up and your guys lists.

1. Summertime 06
2. I Don't like Shit
3. Days with Yen Lo

Probably not gonna make the cut: To Pimp a Butterfly
Definitely not making the cut: Drake If you're reading this...

RP912

Banned

Here's mine:

8. Barter 6 - Young Thug
  10. Future - 56 Nights

HM:
Summertime 06, Cost Of Victory, Ghetto Beach Boyz, Stoned & Dethroned, Who's Gonna Get Fucked First, Thug Angel (s/o Des), Pilot Talk III, B4FRVR, Beast Mode

1. Kendrick Lamar- TPAB
2. Camp Lo- Ragtime Hightimes
3. Vince Staples- Summer 06
4. The Internet- Ego Death
5. Nicolay- City Lights Vol 3
6. Earl Sweatshirt- I don't like shit
7. Drake- If you're reading this
8. Joey Badazz- B4 Da $$
9. Curenn$y- Pilot Talk 3
10. Boogie- The Reach

I would have put A$AP Rocky on the list, but the album put me to sleep to even give a fuck.

1. Days With Dr. Yen Lo - Dr. Yen Lo
2. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
3. Summertime '06 - Vince Staples
4. Today, I Wrote Nothing - billy woods
5. 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms - Denzel Curry
6. The Good Fight - Oddisee
7. Pilot Talk III - Curren$y
8. If You're Reading This It's Too Late - Drake
9. Mr. Wonderful - Action Bronson
10. Tetsuo & Youth - Lupe Fiasco

Don't feel comfortable ranking I Don't Like Shit and the new Slum Village just yet but that probably won't matter anyway by the end of the year.

Tokubetsu

I don't make lists or ranks but if I did, "56 Nights," "Dr. Yen Lo," and "Summertime '06" would top them in no particular order.

injurai

Banned
I can't really rank the albums justs yet. But I want to thrown in a new contender that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Nacho Picasso ‎– Stoned & Dethroned

Don't care for lists but Kendrick is my favourite album of the year.

Kanye needs to stop playing Q-Tip man.
Tip produced a few songs for Cruel Summer but they were all cut.
Then it was said he was producing the majority of Cruel Winter but that never happened.
Then him and Rick Rubin were meant to be producing all of the new Kanye album and that's obviously not happening.
Why even sign him in the first place?

CRS

Surprised at how many lists are leaving out pilot talk 3. It was a good album. But then I guess this also speaks for how much good rap there was

Yen lo, summertime, pilot talk and I don't like shit are at the top for me

Also would throw in barter 6, cliff of death 2 and beast mode. And maybe mr wonderful, drake and Kendrick

DominoKid

Here's mine:

8. Barter 6 - Young Thug
  10. Future - 56 Nights

HM:

56 Nights
Barter 6
If You're Reading This Its Too Late
i'd have to think hard about 4-10

IrishNinja

ya'll already ranking albums? if drizzy's leftovers are on your list listen to more shit man

ATLiens > Aquemini > Southernplayalistic >= Stankonia > the rest.

i'm okay with this

Petestrumentals 2 is practically begging for rappers to spit over these. Nothing's wack on here but some of these joints can't stand on their own for too long.

see, whereas with part 1 i didn't get that vibe at all, yeah

'M. Night Strugglerap'

fuck

literally died at that part

Smh dudes still fronting on Drake though....

Drake been winning for half a decade and will continue to be one of the best to do it.

It's usually the "real rap" dorks saying shit like that. Even if he's corny or you're not into his sound, you still gotta admit the dude is firing on all cylinders right now.

So like 70% of the posters in this thread.

Drake bout to drop that 5th classic and have more than the Clipse lol.

dude puts out solid albums
ya'll should come up for air sometime though

Preaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach

(I think Drake hasn't released a true classic yet but a bunch of crazy good tapes that continue to influence and shape the current generation)

my views, these are they

HHNF was pretty good tho

no doubt, Lord Willin >> though

shit yeah! thanks cheddahz, was looking to grab some stuff on amazon too

Speakerboxxx / The Love Below is so fucking awful. Roses is the only song worth a damn and it's not a coincidence, as they're both on the damn track.

Agreed. One of the worst double albums in rap history (that's saying something). some great hits obviously but it's a.....38 track double album. Fuck outta here

There are maybe 2-3 songs on The Love Below I didn't like. Speakerboxxx is dope too. I mean come on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_sC1y_0_k

for real, shit had a few tracks here & there - lotta filler no doubt but 1 track? nah

I'm the best type of good rich. Got a 98 Camry with 300k miles and just installed a Titan.

how you been my dude? been missed

here for this

T Dollarz

I know my top four, then after that there are a bunch that are about equal in the 5-10 range.

1) Vince Staples - Summertime '06
2) Dr. Yen Lo - Days With Dr. Yen Lo
3) Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
4) Oddisee - The Good Fight

Mr. Wonderful, Israeli Salad, The Reach, Pilot Talk III, Every Hero Needs A Villain, Cliff of Death 2, 32 Zel / Planet Shrooms, If You're Reading This Its Too Late, I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside... Fuck there's too many lol I can't do this on my phone

Dereck

This year is fucking stacked.

I actually equated that new Billy Woods to some early 2000s underground sounding shit, like a mix of Def Jux and Viktor Vaughn, yet, I totally forgot that it existed, and I really liked the project.

HiResDes

This year is fucking stacked.

I actually equated that new Billy Woods to some early 2000s underground sounding shit, like a mix of Def Jux and Viktor Vaughn, yet, I totally forgot that it existed, and I really liked the project.

I'm not even sure I like it more than Race Music or History Will Absolve Me, and it's still a classic in my eyes lol. TRUE STAN HERE

Hey fellas, long time lurker here. I wrote an in-depth Vince Staples album review that I hope you will check out if that interests you. http://www.fortfuego.com/new-blog/2...ummertime-06-to-assess-the-state-of-the-genre

Good review, despite the "Kanye is one of the best rappers today" stuff of course!

Yea...this is a good album brehs. Nearly every track has a focused urgency to it that further hits home that this is his life's story. This is him. And you can't overlook No I.D., whose guidance and dope beats brought out the best of Vince. I remember reading about the creation of Life Is Good and No I.D. said many studio sessions revolved around spending hours just talking about shit with Nas. World views, themes, etc. I can't imagine what type of conversations he's had with Vince over the last couple years.

There is no glorification on this album. The violence on display is a visceral nightmare. I'm reminded of when I first heard The Infamous and thought fuck...why would anyone want to live that life.

Like most double albums it's uneven at times, and there are some features I could do without. More than a few of the hooks are weak. But overall this is a very dope album and just the type of bombastic, honest album 2015 needs. Too much shit is going on for dudes to be partying and dancing 24/7. Fuck that.

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
Good review, despite the "Kanye is one of the best rappers today" stuff of course!

Yea...this is a good album brehs. Nearly every track has a focused urgency to it that further hits home that this is his life's story. This is him. And you can't overlook No I.D., whose guidance and dope beats brought out the best of Vince. I remember reading about the creation of Life Is Good and No I.D. said many studio sessions revolved around spending hours just talking about shit with Nas. World views, themes, etc. I can't imagine what type of conversations he's had with Vince over the last couple years.

There is no glorification on this album. The violence on display is a visceral nightmare. I'm reminded of when I first heard The Infamous and thought fuck...why would anyone want to live that life.

Like most double albums it's uneven at times, and there are some features I could do without. More than a few of the hooks are weak. But overall this is a very dope album and just the type of bombastic, honest album 2015 needs. Too much shit is going on for dudes to be partying and dancing 24/7. Fuck that.

Yeah I agree with the majority of what you're saying. But Kanye can still rap when he wants to. If he wanted to make another College Dropout: A: It would've probably already happened and B: he could do it in his sleep. But the weakest thing about the Vince album is definitely the features and hooks. I wish he had the album budget of, say a Big Sean. Then he could have a Kendrick on it, shit even a Jay Rock would be a completely welcome guest. Maybe a couple more polished singles. I love it for what it is though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've been slacking recently and my backlog is huge, but that new Meek Mill is solid. Hits a lot of the same beats (no pun intended) that his debut had that made it great and it does that stuff well (though it's not as good exactly). It's not great, but the highs are good enough for me to fuck with it on some level.

The second half just has some shrugworthy songs and songwriting that makes it fall off, especially that Diddy verse/spoken word shit. Continues to be one of the most :scust things the Khaled circle of rappers does.

Esch

Banned
According to TMZ, Meek Mill's requests are mainly food-based, and one look at the menu has us wondering how big of a squad he's planning to feed every night.

While the Sremm bros asked for nothing more than chicken wings and Taco Bell, the venues better have a gourmet chef on deck if they're going to make Meek Mill happy. On top of the long list of food items, Mill is also looking for 17 bottles of liquor to wash it all down.

Check out his rider below.

Lunch

-- 100 mild or lemon pepper wings
-- 5 lbs of seasoned turkey meat
-- potato chips, cookies, Doritos
-- 2 half gallons of Simply Raspberry Lemonade

Dinner

-- Fresh baked, fried or grilled fish
-- Real jerk chicken
-- Oxtails, rice and peas
-- Mixed Grill, including ribs, steak, BBQ chicken and shrimp
-- Roast turkey
-- Salmon
-- Trout
-- Mahi-Mahi
-- Snapper
-- Orange Roughy
-- Chinese Stirfry
-- Spaghetti
-- Lasagna
-- Linguine
-- Veal
-- Collard greens, veggies, red beans, rice, yams, sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, etc.

Drinks

-- 7 bottles Moet Chandon
-- 3 bottles Brignac Brut God Ace of Spade
-- 5 bottles Ciroc
-- 2 bottles Patron Silver

2295263_o.gif

Esch

Banned
so does that come out of the venue's pocket? cause if so then why not run that shit up ridiculous. the crew gotta get fat too.
Yeah. I think that's like a big venue/stadium rider.

Ed: also real talk no respect for mild wings. The handjob of wing flavors.

DominoKid

Aint nothing wrong with a solid 12 pc mild. Good to stuff your face quick. I prefer to avoid primarily hot sauces on wings all together tho. Dont mind heat in some bbq sauce but just straight hot sauce us kinda bleh.

Drake rider is every bit as Drake-y as youd expect

- Two clean, well-lit dressing rooms w/ lockable doors.
– 10 large towels
– Four dozen natural-scented incense sticks
– Three natural scented candles
– Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap
– Two packs of Hanes large white t-shirts
– Hair clippers
– E-Z rolling papers
– One pack of Dutch Master Presidential Cigars
– Pinto Grigio
– Heineken
– Bottles of Jack Daniels & Patron Silver
– A bottle of Hennessey or Courvoisier
– Grey Goose
– Large deli tray with no pork
– Assorted fruit tray (pineapples, kiwis, oranges, bananas, grapes, strawberries & mango)
– Breads, rolls and jellies
– One dozen assorted herbal tea (non-caffeinated)
– Three fresh lemons
– One bottle of honey

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
finnagetloose.jpeg

Puff Daddy & The Family ft. Pharrell - Finna Get Loose. This is embarrassing. There's a nice beat underneath all these jingle bells and shit somewhere though.

Joell Ortiz & !llmind - Lil Piggies. Fire.

Yo Gotti ft. Young Thug - Rihanna. Posting only cause thugger thugger.

Tink - Million video.

King Los - Blessings Freestyle. Shit is recorded/mixed/produced weird but this boy cooked on this shit, whew.

Fetty Wap ft. Jay Jones & Hollygrove Keem - Zoo video. Fetty got the juice right now. I swear he blesses almost anything he touches. This boy is dropping anthems like it's nothing.

Statik Selektah ft. Action Bronson, Ab-Soul & Elle Varner - All You Need. So smooth and Ab-Soul wasn't.. that bad?

overcast

Surprised at how many lists are leaving out pilot talk 3. It was a good album. But then I guess this also speaks for how much good rap there was

I don't want to bother with a top 10 list quite yet, but PT3 is there somewhere. Like I said earlier Mr. Wonderful is the one I'm most surprised wouldn't make the list. Was expecting to love that album. Still need to listen to Oddisee, Billy Woods, and Slum Village.
The food Q still dreams of eating.
Q's eatin.

Nibel

No clue which of you cats posted that Cruel Intentions tape but gawdammit that shit is certified digital napalm

2015, the year of straight fuego

Also would throw in barter 6, cliff of death 2 and beast mode. And maybe mr wonderful, drake and Kendrick

PT3 is definitely in mine still gets good play from me.

xHiryu

New to GAF-Hop but been listening to Hip Hop for a few years, but sometimes I wonder where you guys find this shit lmfao. Ya have put me on to so many artists and albums that I cant thank ya enough, keep repping hella hard yo, I fucks with it. Much love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom