• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
LARRYD.gif

no fun zone
;)

Courage

That sremmurd album was fun for like a spin and then I was tired of it.

Wasn't supposed to be anything more than that really, especially as a full album listen. It's more like a collection of fun, replayable bangers. I still have a few in rotation (No Type, Lit Like Bic, Throw Sum Mo).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wasn't supposed to be anything more than that really. Fun, replayable bangers. I still have a few in rotation (No Type, Lit Like Bic, Throw Sum Mo).
But it wasn't even repelayable. I tried to replay it and was bored of it.

Courage

But it wasn't even repelayable. I tried to replay it and was bored of it.

Do you not like Mike Will Made It? He laced most of that album. I feel the rapping was energetic and catchy enough, but they ain't shit without the Mike Will cosign.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Do you not like Mike Will Made It? He laced most of that album. I feel the rapping was energetic and catchy enough, but they ain't shit without the Mike Will cosign.
His shit is either fire or dull ringing in my ears. I also wasn't super on with their delivery. Very little magic happening there.

DominoKid

whole album slap as well as the shit they guest on. can't wait for the next one.

i'd probably put SremmLife #4 behind 56 Nights, Barter 6 and IYRTITL

New Rae Sremmurd album in December

I give them dap, I was wrong about them. Figured they'd be the next one hit wonder southern plebes but they've got like 5 hits off that album. I don't like any of the songs but they're sitting pretty right now. They can tour for quite awhile off the strength of that one album.

overcast

So I guess I won't be buying Vince Staples album in stores. Target and Best Buy aren't carrying it. Amazon overlord.

Edit: I'll give him money at a concert. I'm over it. 18 dollars for a CD, naw.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't even know how I'd go about listening to a CD these days. Maybe on my PC if the disc drive wasn't broken.

flava in ya ear
whew

"ninjas is mad i get more butt than ashtrays"
"you're mad cause my style you're admiring, don't be mad, UPS is hiring"

That sremmurd album was fun for like a spin and then I was tired of it.

Sounds par for the course for most mainstream rap these days
50QuQO9.png

So I guess I won't be buying Vince Staples album in stores. Target and Best Buy aren't carrying it. Amazon overlord.

Edit: I'll give him money at a concert. I'm over it. 18 dollars for a CD, naw.

*2 CDs

**that equal the length of 1 CD

He's lucky I feel it just that much

8-Off The Assassin/Agallah's promo for his shelved album "Wrap Your Lips Around This" got a re-rip for 2015 standards for whatever reason. Haven't listened to this in years. Checking discogs now reveals an official release an accompanying album booklet with art and liner notes, inlay, and disc has surfaced, but this promo might as well be it considering there are no drops and the tracklisting is exactly the same. Comes from a CD too which is something I wished more labels did for shelved albums far more deserving of the quality (Black Bastards, Father Time, Musical Meltdown, etc).

Going through it again...and I can see why it never came out. Usually you listen to shelved albums and think "WTF was the label thinking not putting this out?," but man....I get it.

His style is a very unrefined Onyx roughneck/tough guy/superthug/"why dey always hollarin?" style that lacks any of the social commentary on why they were so mad in the first place. Ironically, 8-Off supposedly did a lot of work for the "All We Got Iz Us" album and listening to this, I wouldn't be surprised but I don't know enough to expand on that.

Anyway, album is a whole bunch of yelling with a sometimes scattershot flow about absolutely nothing with a voice that's a better motivator than any contrived commercial to quit smoking. The beats are alright for the most part though. Sadly, he never got any better later in his career as far as rapping but at least his production improved.

Now if only I could get a decent rip of those 2 unreleased Deadly Venom albums...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, y'all already sick of talking about it but this was my first chance to listen to it. There is this dark undercurrent through the whole thing that acts like a road through the whole thing. It's very, very cohesive, but with plenty of variance. Norf Norf makes me miss Cali, Loca made my head bob, Lemme Know got me dancing with my bowl of Cinnamon Toast Cruch in the living room.

And he isn't really dropping bars or anything, but when he says something it like, matters. I dunno how to describe it better than that. Some rappers just fill space with bullshit and some rappers try to be minimalist, but end up just still spitting bullshit, but less of it. Vince doesn't add a single ounce of fat to his verses. When he repeats shit like "They found another body in the alley" the emphasis and expansion the second time around tells more of a story in two lines than some rappers can manage in a whole song.

But even on more poppy songs, there is that undercurrent of raw emotion and anger that kind of acts like a beating heart of the beast. It thumps with a rhythm that just makes the whole thing live as fuck.

Tokubetsu

So, y'all already sick of talking about it but this was my first chance to listen to it. There is this dark undercurrent through the whole thing that acts like a road through the whole thing. It's very, very cohesive, but with plenty of variance. Norf Norf makes me miss Cali, Loca made my head bob, Lemme Know got me dancing with my bowl of Cinnamon Toast Cruch in the living room.

And he isn't really dropping bars or anything, but when he says something it like, matters. I dunno how to describe it better than that. Some rappers just fill space with bullshit and some rappers try to be minimalist, but end up just still spitting bullshit, but less of it. Vince doesn't add a single ounce of fat to his verses. When he repeats shit like "They found another body in the alley" the emphasis and expansion the second time around tells more of a story in two lines than some rappers can manage in a whole song.

But even on more poppy songs, there is that undercurrent of raw emotion and anger that kind of acts like a beating heart of the beast. It thumps with a rhythm that just makes the whole thing live as fuck.

I was talking about this with someone a few days ago. It's a preachy album while still being fun. Vince is never not dropping heavy narrative and it's all important but his gut shots matter.

That whole last verse on "Like It Is" is important but then he rips your chest open:
"No matter what we grow into we never gon' escape our past"

He's a great songwriter. Period. He already seems to have an understanding of when to just fall back flow & bullshit and when to go for your throat. Knows when to say okay just ride and okay pay attention now. Production is part of it too and I'm sure No I.D. was a big guidance but it shows. Hell of a debut "album."

Album is fucking potent.

Think about those opening lines
"I'm just a nigga until I fill my pockets/ and then I'm Mr. Nigga"

ICM8lek.png

That's how he starts the god damn album brehs

zychi

Banned

Funny how we were just talkin in nfl-gaf not knowing we were doing the same thing. I'm about halfway through my first listen

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm saying, this shit right here got me feeling some kind of way

Broken home, all I had was my homeboys
Either build or destroy, what you going for?
Just a pawn and a plan tryin' to hold on
When the smoke clear why was the war fought?

EDIT: The young catch gun shots, the old catch the holy ghost

God. DAMN.

Nibel

Nah

I'm 9 tracks in and so far there has been only two skips. Have to admit that this has some nice productions here and there, and gives me Carter 3 vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom