• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IDK this Wayne is kind of grating. Yeah it's better than his past few releases overall but it doesn't have the highs of IANAHBII nor the consistency of say Tha Carter IV. My Heart Races On is by far the best song, and maybe London Roads a distant second. Pretty much everything else is unremarkable.

Considerably less toilet paper raps (decent rapping overall) but it's still there. I mean..

"Girl if you act shady.. Ima put this dick where the sun don't shine"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
IDK this Wayne is kind of grating. Yeah it's better than his past few releases overall but it doesn't have the highs of IANAHBII nor the consistency of say Tha Carter IV. My Heart Races On is by far the best song, and maybe London Roads a distant second. Pretty much everything else is unremarkable.

Considerably less toilet paper raps (decent rapping overall) but it's still there. I mean..

"Girl if you act shady.. Ima put this dick where the sun don't shine"

see nibel, gems in every line.

https://instagram.com/p/4uZpXjjQLd/

Papi
cvnfcjv9rqzu.png

Wow. 6god and drogba. #legendsonly

Jay Rock taking a page from Gibbs with these downtempo jawns. Letting the gangsta shit take a break to kick some real shit. whew beat and chorus are smooth as fuck.

Money Trees Duece+Gumbo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Parental Advisery+Pay For It. Jay Rock sounds way more comfortable on these last two records and the production is way better. Seems like he figured out a balance between gangsta shit and life shit.

I agree with this but still I think trap Gibbs >>>> downtempo Gibbs in terms of interesting songs

His flow is on point for whatever style of track he hops on tho

As for Jay Rock yeah money trees deuce and gumbo >>> the other tracks

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - King Los' God, Money, War

It's pretty good, I mostly agree with HRD's review a few pages ago. I think it's a substantial take on the themes he wants to tackle because he has the songwriting to back it up, and is especially good at communicating the lessons he wants to deliver to oppressed communities. I think he does a pretty good job at avoiding being preachy, as it's more just uplifting or giving game tonally and not very imposing.

The radio joints are so blatantly forced in by the label, though. I mean, yeah they're kind of thematically relevant (as far as pretty much any "black vice" is), but the beats throw you out of the vibe so quick starting with the throwaway Mustard beat through To Be Honest. The super bass-y drums and poppy synths throw me off or don't sit right with me even though a good chunk of the album is that way, it just feels disjointed and dryer than the content really, if that makes sense. Like, I'm not sure if Slave is intentionally trying to be an ironic banger or not, because I'm not gonna knock my head to this. Honestly I really liked War and wish the entire album was just more of that. Standouts are War, Glory To The Lord, and Confidence.

tl;dr:

anigif_enhanced-27562-1423162079-2.gif

RP912

Banned
Listening to this jazz playlist on Spotify got me thinking that Kendrick should have went full Blue Note with TPAB. I'm talking about a whole damn quintet doing the beats from the Marsalis's, to a special guest appearance by John Coltrane who can provide a sax solo during Mortal Man.

Ninja Dom

Just been listening to Havoc from Mobb Deep, 13 Reloaded.

Very nice so far. Like the Mobb Deep of old (with no Prodigy, he is on one track). Came out at the end of last year.

Hip Hop

Just been listening to Havoc from Mobb Deep, 13 Reloaded.

Very nice so far. Like the Mobb Deep of old (with no Prodigy, he is on one track). Came out at the end of last year.

I love "Best of the Best" on that album. The chorus, beat are perfect. He still got it.

RP912

Banned
To be fair...even in the 90s folks were saying the same bullshit as nowadays. Hell The Source pretty much was the troll in East/West coast beef, before it became a Made Men catalog.

Death's Invitation (Feat. Scarub, Lyrics Born and Chino XL)

HOLY SHIT THIS IS TERRIBLE

Did Ghost do that acapella at the beginning because even he couldn't front on how virtually incomplete the production sounded? Not even gonna get on how everyone else is horribly off beat

IrishNinja

dead culture

Culture?

This is a business

#positivity2k15

despite the execution i appreciate what you were going for here codhands

To be fair...even in the 90s folks were saying the same bullshit as nowadays. Hell The Source pretty much was the troll in East/West coast beef, before it became a Made Men catalog.

yeah, no argument here - fortunately i bailed before the aftermath beef cause holy shit did it go downhill in the early aughts

All my BBQs are strictly Bob Seger affairs. :(

i know this feel
was at a bit venezuealan one last night though...ranged between uptown funk and gloria estefan stuff, but i had a great time alla same

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Still gonna go unnoticed rapup is just for me now.

Um... dude, I hardly have time to keep up with this thread, and I appreciate all the recommendations I find in here more than other sources online. Your rapups are a great way for me to stay on top of things when I don't pay attention for a little while and want see what I've missed. I always check them.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I keep spinning Barter 6 these days. Haven't had much time to load up my USB for the car lately. I love it in a weird sickly way... like, eating way too much candy. I still can't understand what he's saying. I've considered looking up the lyrics online, but I'm afraid that will ruin the fun for me.

Lip say fuckchee mattel, Rubna lippin my round hair *synchronized YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh*

I feel ya dawg. It's the emotions coming through your incoherent babble which speak to me.

Koozek

I keep spinning Barter 6 these days. Haven't had much time to load up my USB for the car lately. I love it in a weird sickly way... like, eating way too much candy. I still can't understand what he's saying. I've considered looking up the lyrics online, but I'm afraid that will ruin the fun for me.

Lip say fuckchee mattel, Rubna lippin my round hair *synchronized YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh*

I feel ya dawg. It's the emotions coming through your incoherent babble which speak to me.

Barter 6 and the big leak compilation were on heavy rotation here, too. And yeah, I already said this, but I listen to his voice like it's an instrument, not actual words. Don't know what he's saying 90% of the time, but it's just interesting to follow the unexpected changes all the time melody- and rhythm-wise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
B6 is a grower. I went into it expecting bangers and was underwhelmed at first (edit - plus the features were not very impressive). But after my second listen I totally got it. The low key production allows his vocals to shine in a way the usual generic trap beats never could. It's pure Thugger. It's still a little uneven but it's by far his best and most complete project.

Koozek

Fun fact: Dre and Dilla both were producers on Bilal's debut, 1st Born.
I don't really think Dre legit knows Dilla's work. Who knows, though.

Koozek

Why wouldn't he know it. But chances are he's casting a popularity opinion.

That's what I meant. I'm not talking about just knowing his name and maybe a few songs he heard back then, but about genuinely knowing and appreciating the discography. Would be pretty surprising if he did.

DominoKid

producers are nerds at heart. they run a lot tighter together than you'd think. even if they aint tight they know what the other camp is working on. it's like tech companies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
producers are nerds at heart. they run a lot tighter together than you'd think. even if they aint tight they know what the other camp is working on. it's like tech companies.
Exactly. Pretty much all the producers are huge fans of each other and give it up all the time. Them respecting Dilla is nothing new, and Dre doesn't need to pull favor from anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom