• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Pretty impressed by PD's knowledge. If you don't mind: you said in a earlier post (I think it was you, apologize if I'm mistaken) that Puffy got Biggie killed; while I found a lot about Tupac's assassination, I still don't quite don't know the background of Biggie's death since all I found are half-assed writeups and shit.

Or has anyone a well-researched article on this? I kinda feel that Pac's death had a way bigger impact - at least here in Germany - than Biggie's.

codhand

PD flexing that Bushwick, Michigan upbringing

for real though, i bought Illmatic, used in '94 for $5.98. Shit was like the all-real-heads-know-the-deal album

Biggie, bridged the two most important eras in Hip-Hop, 90s boom bap, with jiggy. How? Juicy. Or more specifically, letting Puffy drive.

all that being said, getting into biggie / tupac conspiracy theory has never yielded anything but depression

Kopite

Biggie was known in some of NY before the album dropped. Party And Bullshit was a local hit in Brooklyn and the Flava In Ya Ear remix introduced him to many people. Most of the harder tracks were recorded first and it took Diddy awhile to convince him to do the singles. At the time Bad Boy was running shit in NY and Diddy knew all they needed was a hot single.

Juicy was a huge hit, rap wise and mainstream wise. The single included Unbelievable for the streets. Then Big Poppa came out which was huge too; once again the single included another street track, Warning. So he had all bases covered before the album dropped, he had the charisma, the right label, and the right sound.

Whereas Illmatic bombed earlier that year. It made an impact in terms of critical acclaim, receiving five mics in The Source (iirc Ready To Die got 4 mics). It was also perhaps the first rap album with a super team or producers. Every hot NY producer was on it, and that influenced Ready To Die and other albums. But the album didn't have any mainstream singles and was heavily bootlegged; I've heard stories of nearly a million bootleg copies being circulated. Plus if you were a rap stan you had heard half the album before it came out.

Final thing: Nas wasn't nearly as charismatic as Biggie and the song content wasn't mainstream. He was and still is quite reserved. Questlove has told a story about seeing Nas lose every award at the 1995 Source Awards to Biggie, and how at that moment he knew Nas would do something drastically different next time. Then 1996 came, Nas dropped a heavy mafioso/mainstream album and sold three million records+had a hit single.
Thanks a lot man and everyone else! Been interested in Biggie recently after watching Notorious recently, haven't really heard much of his work other than Juicy though. It always surprised me that that was his first hit single off his debut album, it sounded like something you would record after a few successes first.

Pretty impressed by PD's knowledge. If you don't mind: you said in a earlier post (I think it was you, apologize if I'm mistaken) that Puffy got Biggie killed; while I found a lot about Tupac's assassination, I still don't quite don't know the background of Biggie's death since all I found are half-assed writeups and shit.

Or has anyone a well-researched article on this? I kinda feel that Pac's death had a way bigger impact - at least here in Germany - than Biggie's.

Others might be able to post links, I'm at work. A lot has been written about Biggie and Tupac having gang affiliations. Diddy hired Crips for protection, Death Row was run by Pirus/bloods. To make a long story short I honestly believe Biggie might be alive today if he simply didn't go to Cali at that time. Gang violence was already a problem in California but escalated after Tupac's death since he was killed by a Crip. Diddy's affiliation with a Crip set was well known at the time.

According to Lil Cease, Biggie didn't want to go to California to promote Life After Death but Diddy made him do it. Things seemed to be going smooth until Biggie did a freestyle (I think it was on the Wake Up show, with Sway?) that sounded like he was shitting on Tupac's grave. It's on YouTube. After that he got killed. There are a ton of theories on who did it but they all point to bloods.

Nibel

Others might be able to post links, I'm at work. A lot has been written about Biggie and Tupac having gang affiliations. Diddy hired Crips for protection, Death Row was run by Pirus/bloods. To make a long story short I honestly believe Biggie might be alive today if he simply didn't go to Cali at that time. Gang violence was already a problem in California but escalated after Tupac's death since he was killed by a Crip. Diddy's affiliation with a Crip set was well known at the time.

According to Lil Cease, Biggie didn't want to go to California to promote Life After Death but Diddy made him do it. Things seemed to be going smooth until Biggie did a freestyle (I think it was on the Wake Up show, with Sway?) that sounded like he was shitting on Tupac's grave. It's on YouTube. After that he got killed. There are a ton of theories on who did it but they all point to bloods.

Thanks for the writeup. Yeah, if you connect the dots you mentioned, then it makes sense how those things happened.

Makes me more pumped for Kendrick's album to be honest; shit needs to stop.

BokehKing

Banned
I think we can all agree if Puff wasn't I voted with big and suge with Pac, both artist would still be around.

They were unfortunate victims to powers bigger than them

Biggie and Pac's deaths will always continue to intrigue me but at the same time the more that I dig into it all, the more sad I get.

Nabs

I neeeeed. I found this on Busta's twitter.. uh, hey Bus... can we get more God Squad? Thanks.

kmd_black_bastards.jpg

Bl_ck B_st_rds is getting a re-release for Record Store Day. It's designed like a children's pop-up book. Shit. I'm going to buy this album again.

I don't know if anyone cares, but this article is really good: Check The Technique: KMD’s “Black Bastards” and the Birth of MF Doom

Nibel

Apparently it's not from the guy who stole the laptop.

Yeah, so far nothing really substantial seems to have leaked.

I think the name Awesome or at least snippets of that track have been floating around for some time though.

http://www.spin.com/articles/kanye-west-awesome-song-stream-so-help-me-god/

It's trash, but I don't know why people are even linking it to So Help Me God. It's a throwaway track he made for Kim.

I don't expect it to be on the album either.

RBK

Banned
Watching this Charles Hamilton interview on Hot 97.

Only thing is should I care really? Never delve deeper than Brooklyn Girls and the video where his chick smacked him up.

Courage

Watching this Charles Hamilton interview on Hot 97.

Only thing is should I care really? Never delve deeper than Brooklyn Girls and the video where his chick smacked him up.

First you gotta go through the Charles Hamilton litmus test: How do you feel about Sonic post Sonic & Knuckles?

RBK

Banned
First you gotta go through the Charles Hamilton litmus test: How do you feel about Sonic post Sonic & Knuckles?

First Sonic game was Sonic Adventure, so really can't say. I like Sonic Heroes and the GBA versions were always good.

PlayDat

The rape scene in Hotline Miami 2 is really off-putting. I'll probably end up buying the game once it gets cheap, but that shit seems so unnecessary.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I neeeeed. I found this on Busta's twitter.. uh, hey Bus... can we get more God Squad? Thanks.

Bl_ck B_st_rds is getting a re-release for Record Store Day. It's designed like a children's pop-up book. Shit. I'm going to buy this album again.

I don't know if anyone cares, but this article is really good: Check The Technique: KMD’s “Black Bastards” and the Birth of MF Doom
I really want to get this release too. looks like I'll have to join in on the fracas on RSD. I fucking hate it so much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom