• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

mqunTrN.png

injurai

Banned
og maco is a joke

he is practically begging people to agree with that

dude knows he was a one hit wonder riding on the coat tails of producer who made a timely beat

RP912

Banned
The industry isn't ready for a potential GOAT like OG Maco. Dude pretty much conned the world with that "U Guess It" song, now the Illmatic caliber album will drop and the plan will be complete.

Fjordson

Man Liquid Swords is overrated. People saying Liquid Swords over Cuban Linx "no contest!" in that off-topic thread are crazy. No problem with thinking LS is better, but CL at worst is barely behind it.

RP912

Banned
Man Liquid Swords is overrated. People saying Liquid Swords over Cuban Linx "no contest!" in that off-topic thread are crazy. No problem with thinking LS is better, but CL at worst is barely behind it.

Thank you. I'm not the only one who felt that album was overrated as hell. Sure it was dope for it's time, but man that album is dated as fuck. "Tommy ain't my motherfucking boy"...really :/ :/

Knuckleheadz>>>>>>>>4th chamber

Fjordson

Saying Liquid Swords is better than Cuban Linx is fine. Trying to act like Cuban Linx ain't even close is crazy.

Thank you. I'm not the only one who felt that album was overrated as hell. Sure it was dope for it's time, but man that album is dated as fuck. "Tommy ain't my motherfucking boy"...really :/ :/

Knuckleheadz>>>>>>>>4th chamber
I would definitely take Cuban Linx over LS, but they're close. They're both classics to me. People in off-topic tryna say one is way better than the other doesn't make sense imo.

Iron Maiden the most underrated, Cuban Linx and LS both get their due props.
Totally agreed. That's a top tier Wu solo release for me, even though people usually point to Supreme Clientele first for Ghostface (also a classic, don't get me wrong).

RP912

Banned
Iron Maiden the most underrated, Cuban Linx and LS both get their due props.

True. The whole album was a sleeper during Wu's peak unfortunately. It had to take Supreme Clientele to make heads realize that Ghostface was the real MVP of the Wu.

Saying Liquid Swords is better than Cuban Linx is fine. Trying to act like Cuban Linx ain't even close is crazy.

I would definitely take Cuban Linx over LS, but they're close. They're both classics to me. People in off-topic tryna say one is way better than the other doesn't make sense imo.

Liquid Swords is a good album, but man dudes putting it on the pedestal without explaining why the album is considered a classic. It's coming off like one of those token hip hop albums that folks want to hype up, when deep inside they don't even want to mess with the genre. I'm just saying...it's a good album, but over OB4CL is a stretch for me.

Esch

Banned
Liquid Swords is a good album, but man dudes putting it on the pedestal without explaining why the album is considered a classic. It's coming off like one of those token hip hop albums that folks want to hype up, when deep inside they don't even want to mess with the genre. I'm just saying...it's a good album, but over OB4CL is a stretch for me.

stop it....

Legendary album. overarching concept, some of the gutterest production and cohesive atmosphere to ever come from the RZA, fire guest verses from everyone, it's amazing. Everytime I go back and listen to it there's a bar i missed, or an idea, or some part of the package that I overlooked, and I've probably listened to it more than a hundred times at this point. If you don't like it, cool... but the bolded is some bullshit.

RP912

Banned
stop it....

Legendary album. overarching concept, some of the gutterest production and cohesive atmosphere to ever come from the RZA, fire guest verses from everyone, it's amazing. Everytime I go back and listen to it there's a bar i missed, or an idea, or some part of the package that I overlooked, and I've probably listened to it more than a hundred times at this point. If you don't like it, cool... but the bolded is some bullshit.

What concept though? What I got from that album was production, but no substance. Each track wasn't consistent and the album was all over the place. GZA is a alright rapper but Guru perfected the monotone flow with gems being laid for the listeners. As I said, it's a good album but it's not on the same level as Cuban Lynx...hell even ODB's shit. It's one of those albums that birthed pretentious back pack albums that claim "real hip hop", but fail to deliver on the substance.

Liquid Swords is top 5 rap album ever

Cuban Linx is Ghostface's 2nd best album

Isn't it weird how Ghost steals the show on OB4CL and Rae steals the show on Iron Man? Not to say Rae wasn't impressive on OB4CL, dude was rapping at a high level from beginning to end. But Ghost was injecting gorrillas with the strength of eighty midgets and throwing cats in wheelchairs...he was untouchable.

Ninja Dom

Early solo Wu?

1. Cuban Lynx
2. Liquid Swords
3. Ironman
4. Return to the 36 Chambers (ODB)
5. Tical

And the difference between Cuban Lynx and Cuban Lynx II is fucking shocking. I heard Cuban Lynx II again just this week, awful.

Also can I put Bobby Digital in Stereo at equal 2nd?

codhand

ehh, Tical gets too much hate, it's more consistent than Return, but thats a good list

It's really only in hindsight that Ironman was seen as being a top tier wu solo, at the time of its release people didnt really get what the fuck ghostface was saying, Tical had a universal appeal and excitement surrounding its release that Ironman didnt. i like Ironman better now, but for years, didnt.

huge Bobby Digital fan too, but i recognize it's not for everyone

Ninja Dom

ehh, Tical gets too much hate, it's more consistent than Return, but thats a good list

It's really only in hindsight that Ironman was seen as being a top tier wu solo, at the time of its release people didnt really get what the fuck ghostface was saying, Tical had a universal appeal and excitement surrounding its release that Ironman didnt. i like Ironman better now, but for years, didnt.

Exactly right about Ironman.

Shame the first Bob Digi isn't on the streaming services, well, Apple Music. I wanna listen to that again now.

Esch

Banned
What concept though? What I got from that album was production, but no substance. Each track wasn't consistent and the album was all over the place. GZA is a alright rapper but Guru perfected the monotone flow with gems being laid for the listeners. As I said, it's a good album but it's not on the same level as Cuban Lynx...hell even ODB's shit. It's one of those albums that birthed pretentious back pack albums that claim "real hip hop", but fail to deliver on the substance.

Honestly, I just don't really think you have an actual point here or if you're just in for some extended whine.

GZA said:
It’s the story of a shogun told through different narratives and scenarios. It’s not a theme, but more like a thread throughout the album.

Just like every other 93-96 nyc rap album, it's all just a reinterpretation of observing and participating in street life, but it does so while sticking to a specific set of themes and imagery. Martial arts movies, chess, and 5% ideology. Cuban Linx is the same, but sticks mostly to fetishizing mafia and south american organized crime. Both albums have nothing low substance type tracks about beating people up (Duel of the Iron Mic, Knuckleheadz), but the substance, the content comes from the metaphor and imagery. Is it loved by some artsy fartsy types? Does it have a few Canibus style rappy rap bars about nothing? Yeah sure. So does Illmatic though, which I've seen you pole polish a couple times here, and is usually the gold standard for "real hip hop" whiners.

RP912

Banned
Honestly, I just don't really think you have an actual point here or if you're just in for some extended whine.

My point is that Cuban Lynx had substance and style to the album, while Liquid Swords was just a good album at best. It's very under the radar out of all the Wu albums from that era imo. I feel that ODB's first album was above Liquid Sword in terms of bringing something new to the table. Dude brought back that fun that was missing in hip hop for quite some time around that era. People tend to shit on ODB for his weird style and antics, but fail to see that dude was an important member of the Wu.

Bottom line, Liquid Swords was no different from any other album around that time that was displaying "lyrical" content. It's just so happens that it was a solo Wu album, if he didn't have any affiliation...it would be forgettable at best to hip hop heads.

Esch

Banned
My point is that Cuban Lynx had substance and style to the album, while Liquid Swords was just a good album at best. It's very under the radar out of all the Wu albums from that era imo. I feel that ODB's first album was above Liquid Sword in terms of bringing something new to the table. Dude brought back that fun that was missing in hip hop for quite some time around that era. People tend to shit on ODB for his weird style and antics, but fail to see that dude was an important member of the Wu.

Bottom line, Liquid Swords was no different from any other album around that time that was displaying "lyrical" content. It's just so happens that it was a solo Wu album, if he didn't have any affiliation...it would be forgettable at best to hip hop heads.

Oh so now Cuban Linx is some heavy substance album?

It set the stage for years and years of commercial drug selling gang banging mafioso shit, that both Nas and Jay-Z played to the hilt. And you're contradicting yourself. You yourself said:

It's one of those albums that birthed pretentious back pack albums that claim "real hip hop", but fail to deliver on the substance.

So did it have no substance or style, or did it play a part in the birth of a movement (whether you like it or not)? Get back to me when you make up your mind, or admit that you just don't like the album but wanna justify that dislike with some bullshit.

HiResDes

Isn't it weird how Ghost steals the show on OB4CL and Rae steals the show on Iron Man? Not to say Rae wasn't impressive on OB4CL, dude was rapping at a high level from beginning to end. But Ghost was injecting gorrillas with the strength of eighty midgets and throwing cats in wheelchairs...he was untouchable.
Rae doesn't touch Ghost on Ironman imo.

RP912

Banned
Oh so now Cuban Linx is some heavy substance album?

It set the stage for years and years of commercial drug selling gang banging mafioso shit, that both Nas and Jay-Z played to the hilt. And you're contradicting yourself. You yourself said:

So did it have no substance or style, or did it play a part in the birth of a movement (whether you like it or not)? Get back to me when you make up your mind, or admit that you just don't like the album but wanna justify that dislike with some bullshit.

And what GZA do...set the stage for "real hip hop" albums so it can cost a bigger divide within hip hop. When I mean substance, I mean a overall theme with consistent content. I'm not disliking GZA's album for some bullshit, I just prefer Cuban Lynx over it because the album stands out against time. I can't go back to Liquid Swords as I can with Cuban Lynx. We can go into circles over opinion, but I see your point in this debate....at least see my point in this debate. Bygones....

Esch

Banned
And what GZA do...set the stage for "real hip hop" albums so it can cost a bigger divide within hip hop. When I mean substance, I mean a overall theme with consistent content. I'm not disliking GZA's album for some bullshit, I just prefer Cuban Lynx over it because the album stands out against time. I can't go back to Liquid Swords as I can with Cuban Lynx. We can go into circles over opinion, but I see your point in this debate....at least see my point in this debate. Bygones....

this is all just subjective bs you've invented in your head though. If liquid swords hasn't stood out over time, why is everyone in here praising it? Why are we still talking about it in 2015? Why can GZA still tour despite having decades of stagnancy after it?

Just kicking some bullshit real hip hop victim narrative.

RP912

Banned
this is all just subjective bs you've invented in your head though. If liquid swords hasn't stood out over time, why is everyone in here praising it? Why are we still talking about it in 2015? Why can GZA still tour despite having decades of stagnancy after it?

Anyway, kick bullshit narratives brehs.

Fair enough. Folks enjoy what they enjoy...it's not like I hate the damn album for crying out loud...but hey I'm the Sir of bullshit narratives.

Anywho...all this debate over albums make me want to bump some B.U.M.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sViPgsvMqOw

Ya'll fuck with Spam? I've been making egg / spam sandwiches for a bit now and I'm trying to figure out what else I can throw in it besides different hot sauce / cheese.

RP912

Banned
Ya'll fuck with Spam? I've been making egg / spam sandwiches for a bit now and I'm trying to figure out what else I can throw in it besides different hot sauce / cheese.

One time I put some spam in some shells and cheese with hot sauce. It blew my mind.

On the real...can't go wrong with jalapenos.

HiResDes

Retarded Alligator Beats would be better with a few more features, Voodoo sounds great and really doesn't hinder the album's cohesion.

IrishNinja

OG maco 2real4gafhops
nitti scott phew
aint clickin on eminem in 2015, bet that one dude in OT already got a thread tho

finally, enzo's shenmue 3 is here

irish, you gonna cop this?

thought i made it clear that brownie there was ORIGINAL CHARACTER/DO NOT COPY

Trap Lord is the best album of 2013.

i mean
did you listen to other albums though

Overrun from Jitters RateYourMusic type rap fans

RIP jitters

gaf-hop scumbag season
coming this fall

we pregaming now though

ALC saturation point? I hate gaf-hop.

ya'll said RTJ3 would be too much too
scust season began mad early

the MGS4 of hip hop speaks, i love it

Liquid Swords is top 5 rap album ever

Cuban Linx is Ghostface's 2nd best album

no lies detected

yeah i stay playing Tical Defense Force out here
Bobby Digital...i gotta try again one day

Macklemore needs to drop something soon to save hip-hop (again)

preach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom