• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
RS article names a few songs from the album

-TBTB
-i
-u (the counter balance to i; song about Kendrick's depression and hating himself at one point)
-Mortal Man (trip to South Africa, comments on Mandela, MLK, and Obama)
-King Kunta

"Mortal Man" name checks everyone from, Mandela, to MLK, all the way back to Moses"

On "King Kunta", a stomping blast of James Brown funk, he imagines himself as the titular slave from Roots, shouting the punchline "Everybody wanna cut the legs off him!/Black man taking no losses"

lamar also points out that the fans who scratched their heads at "i" had yet to hear "u" - its counterpoint on the album. "i" is the answer to "u" he says.

The latter is four and a half minutes of devastating honesty, with Lamar almost sobbing over a discordant beat, berating himself about his lack of confidence and calling himself "a ****ing failure." It's the sound of a man staring into the mirror and hating what he asys, punctuated by a self-aware hook:"Loving you is complicated"

"That was one of the hardest songs I had to write,"he says. "There's some very dark moments in there. All my insecurities and selfishness and letdowns. That **** is depressing as a mother****er. "But it helps, though," he says."it helps."

hanging over it all, of course, are the tragedies of the past three years: Trayvon martin, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice. Says sounwave, "To me, the album is perfect for right now. If the world was happy, maybe we'd give you a happy album. But right now, we are not happy." Lamar - who calls the album "fearful, honest and unapologetic" - is coy about what the title means. "Just putting the word 'pimp' next to 'butterfly'..." he says, then laughs."It's a trip. That's something that will be a phrase forever. It'll be taught in college courses - I truly believe that." I ask if hes the pimp or the butterfly, and he just smiles. "I could be both," he says.

codhand

then why you bringing up lil wayne?

8L37eP8.png

Eos

RS article names a few songs from the album

-TBTB
-i
-u (the counter balance to i; song about Kendrick's depression and hating himself at one point)
-Mortal Man (trip to South Africa, comments on Mandela, MLK, and Obama)
-King Kunta

themes are going to be on point and cohesive. 12 days.

IrishNinja

(a clinic was put on here)

bless, PD
man i forget, Flava in ya ear remix was before ready to die? shit, that was a big intro too
totally remember unbelievable on the juicy single now that you mention it too

Things seemed to be going smooth until Biggie did a freestyle (I think it was on the Wake Up show, with Sway?) that sounded like he was shitting on Tupac's grave. It's on YouTube. After that he got killed. There are a ton of theories on who did it but they all point to bloods.

when you're back home, could you link that freestyle? i feel like i might've missed that one

Biggie and Pac's deaths will always continue to intrigue me but at the same time the more that I dig into it all, the more sad I get.

*sigh* that's how it goes, fam

First Sonic game was Sonic Adventure, so really can't say. I like Sonic Heroes and the GBA versions were always good.

you alright, man

Holy shit. Everything after sonic and knuckles was dog shit. Play the originals breh.

FOH, go play Generations fam

Can't even get a hit in his own home.

then why you bringing up lil wayne?

what a time to be a gaf hopper

WW and biz killing me god damn haha.

Good work fellas

Irish don't make me waste my time playing generations if it ain't up to task. Is it really that good? Bear in mind I pretty much hated everything from sonic adventure onwards

RBK

Banned
I mean there's been some absolute shit Sonic games in recent years, but overall I think the series demise is overblown.

There's not much you can really do without changing up the formula and alienating the fanbase.

IrishNinja

nah fam, real hip hop drops disappointment right on ya samsung

Irish don't make me waste my time playing generations if it ain't up to task. Is it really that good? Bear in mind I pretty much hated everything from sonic adventure onwards

then you should dig at least half - it's classic 2D sonic stages, or 3D ones mapped out in 2D. the 3D levels are fun too, mostly take the better stuff from lesser games like Unleashed etc...boss fights are weak but the game itself is enjoyable, especially the old school stuff. prolly the only one i'd recommend for you, especially since it's like a dollar these days

You know, I gave Rae Shwarma a shot and they're not bad. Those young brothers have something to say. Good to see Nas helping them get some exposure to the masses.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've been listening to Ugly Heroes more or less nonstop this year. Anybody more in the loop know if they're putting something out this year?

thabiz

I mean there's been some absolute shit Sonic games in recent years, but overall I think the series demise is overblown.

There's not much you can really do without changing up the formula and alienating the fanbase.

I felt like throwing my xbox out the window when I seen the Sonic adventure 2 cutscenes. Don't even get me started on that Chao garden bullshit. Sonic team peaked with S3+K imo.

then you should dig at least half - it's classic 2D sonic stages, or 3D ones mapped out in 2D. the 3D levels are fun too, mostly take the better stuff from lesser games like Unleashed etc...boss fights are weak but the game itself is enjoyable, especially the old school stuff. prolly the only one i'd recommend for you, especially since it's like a dollar these days
Fuck it I'm gonna check it out. I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to play it.

How's Nas gonna host anything. The man has no charisma at all.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
red pill and verbal kent both have records out this year. red pill is out next month, and apollo brown never slows down.

Nice, I'll be checking those out for sure. I wonder how much influence Apollo has though, because he sort of has the midas touch with these indie dudes.

Lmao you probably dont want to hear my opinion but Generations has the best Modern Sonic gameplay so far.

Classic Sonic stages have weird physics but when you get used to it, they are fun.

overcast

Kanye said he was making BBQ/feel good music, but I don't see anything close to resembling that in what we've heard from him this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom