• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

Tag team tactics on fire

#teamlurker
j8lmWGW.gif

Seeing people compare King Kunta to Will Smith/Wild Wild West reminds me of people who compared i to 90s pop rock. A stunning level of musical ignorance. I understand disliking a song, I'm cool with that. But where were your parents, brehs? A whole generation of people who didn't know who James Brown was until a movie came out, don't know what "funk" is, don't even know about 90s shit either. My first reaction to King Kunta, besides the Quik reference, was "this sounds like The Payback mixed with Bop Gun." It has a Parliament vibe.

I understand someone not knowing about Parliament, sure. But...I was talking to an 18yo acquiescence and in the convo I realized he had never heard The Chronic or Doggystyle. How? And he likes Snoop...

Esch

Banned
Seeing people compare King Kunta to Will Smith/Wild Wild West reminds me of people who compared i to 90s pop rock. A stunning level of musical ignorance. I understand disliking a song, I'm cool with that. But where were your parents, brehs? A whole generation of people who didn't know who James Brown was until a movie came out, don't know what "funk" is, don't even know about 90s shit either. My first reaction to King Kunta, besides the Quik reference, was "this sounds like The Payback mixed with Bop Gun." It has a Parliament vibe.

I understand someone not knowing about Parliament, sure. But...I was talking to an 18yo acquiescence and in the convo I realized he had never heard The Chronic or Doggystyle. How? And he likes Snoop...

ibckALql9E5wCN.gif

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You know what though? The world has been missing that summer blockbuster Will Smith. It's too bad that like other artists, he had a kid and started sucking. I want to see AW HELL NAH Will Smith at least one more time before he starts exclusively pushing Willow's failed Broadway endeavors like a suntanned Charles Foster Kane.

DominoKid

Youre old now breh. Accept it.

injurai

Banned
lmao, I didn't realize King Kunta was a new kendrick track. I thought he was some artist you were all talking about that dropped a new album or something.

You know what though? The world has been missing that summer blockbuster Will Smith. It's too bad that like other artists, he had a kid and started sucking. I want to see AW HELL NAH Will Smith at least one more time before he starts exclusively pushing Willow's failed Broadway endeavors like a suntanned Charles Foster Kane.

Suicide squad might be it, looking forward to that one

But what we really need is a bad boys 3

And I can definitely hear the funk influence in King kunta but the problem is I don't find that song anywhere near as groovy as it could have been, plus kendrick just can't really sell a song like this with his flow or voice

100s Ivry was the funk rap we deserve

I like how the track doesn't stop and keeps its momentum, and the guitar loop is nice too but I don't think he did anything special with it

Another thing bugging me about the Dame interview...in what world do you not use other people's money to make investments? We've got some business people in here. What type of business looks at banks investors and says you know what, fuck you, I'm going to use my own money. Seriously?

Fjordson

And I can definitely hear the funk influence in King kunta but the problem is I don't find that song anywhere near as groovy as it could have been, plus kendrick just can't really sell a song like this with his flow or voice

100s Ivry was the funk rap we deserve
Agreed. Ivry was top 10 for me last year.

20th anniversary for 2pac's Me Against The World one my favorite albums of all time the way he expressed how he felt at the time period always resonated with me.

Oh and nice to see some IVRY love tape was far too underrated whole thing fucking slapped hopefully 100s new name Kossisko and style resonate.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
that bit of the song actually slays tho

hopefully more collabs with macca like that instead of 45seconds (from falling asleep)

PBY

Banned
PP I know what KK is aping. I just think it's a poor imitation. Like someone doing weird revival/cover shit

The weird thing is that the last verse is perfect. He's bopping over the beat. But those first verses and the female vocals feel off. The energy doesn't match the beat. Give that to Snoop and it would be dope as fuck.

I don't like King Kunta as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, I like funk/G-Funk/etc too but something about it doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it is Kendrick's energy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are there any clear statements from Kendrick about what he's trying to do with this album yet or is he taking a "let the people figure it out" approach?

I feel this weighs heavily upon how I will judge the album. You can't really divorce yourself from that completely either since we've heard some stuff already but I'm wondering if he's put a mission statement out there.

He's definitely under the microscope right now, but that comes with the territory.

Nibel

How about we listen to the album first and then see fam

Prediction: Kenny will speak on subjects most rappers don't touch, and it might be great

Are there any clear statements from Kendrick about what he's trying to do with this album yet or is he taking a "let the people figure it out" approach?

I feel this weighs heavily upon how I will judge the album. You can't really divorce yourself from that completely either since we've heard some stuff already but I'm wondering if he's put a mission statement out there.

He's definitely under the microscope right now, but that comes with the territory.

Apparently the album has a lot of spoken word segments discussing the concept of the album, abstractly and through conversations with his homies. similar to The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill.

I agree with you that it's weird Kendrick is nowhere to be seen, with less than 10 days to go. He went on Big Boy's show and wouldn't even reveal the name, only for TDE to randomly drop it a couple days later at 1AM EST. I don't understand what they're doing, at all. Could it be an arrogant refusal to go the J Cole route, promo wise, because "it's been done before"?

Another potential problem: Kendrick doesn't really give good interviews. He's not that articulate in the moment, and instead seems like someone who sits down and really thinks to get his point/lyrics on paper. Could that be why he really doesn't do much press, despite people wanting to hear from him to prove or disprove the various views they hold about him?

injurai

Banned
Apparently the album has a lot of spoken word segments discussing the concept of the album, abstractly and through conversations with his homies. similar to The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill.

I agree with you that it's weird Kendrick is nowhere to be seen, with less than 10 days to go. He went on Big Boy's show and wouldn't even reveal the name, only for TDE to randomly drop it a couple days later at 1AM EST. I don't understand what they're doing, at all. Could it be an arrogant refusal to go the J Cole route, promo wise, because "it's been done before"?

Another potential problem: Kendrick doesn't really give good interviews. He's not that articulate in the moment, and instead seems like someone who sits down and really thinks to get his point/lyrics on paper. Could that be why he really doesn't do much press, despite people wanting to hear from him to prove or disprove the various views they hold about him?

A thinking man is best anyways. Shame everyone want's to be entertained by even promotional material. I'd much rather a more tamed insight into the actual person rather than get some distilled personality in some buddy buddy interview filled with drama.

overcast

Okay, I could have sworn Currensy said PT3 would be free for the fans. I can't find that and there is no way he would charge 100 for the album... right?

PlayDat

Does this ever happen to any of your albums on you iphone? How did you fix it?

Track 1 gets treated as a different album than tracks 2-7. Really annoying. I already tried using Mp3tag and made sure all tracks have identical Artist, Album, Album Artist, and Cover fields.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
he should just release the album now, snatch all those itunes pre-orders before everyone realizes the album is shit and cancel their pre-orders.

Track 1 gets treated as a different album than tracks 2-7. Really annoying. I already tried using Mp3tag and made sure all tracks have identical Artist, Album, Album Artist, and Cover fields.

grab the album that has one track in it, change the artist to AAAAALIZ or whatever. hit OK then go back and give it the proper name again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I think editing multiple items within iTunes' tag editor sometimes fixes it, though I'm assuming you already tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom