• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kanye was never held in a high regard because of his lyricism. His production and ability to arrange music is what sets him apart from most every other rapper.

esch stahp.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
lo819l8o8xjarydi10ur9r0d.525x350x4.gif

Courage

Kanye was never held in a high regard because of his lyricism. His production and ability to arrange music is what sets him apart from most every other rapper.

esch stahp.

I mean, I also feel he's competent at rapping but I agree it isn't on a purely technical level. It's his charisma, presence and wordplay.

big ander

I revisited WTT a month back and tracks are still hot. doubt I'll ever not like Otis, Gotta Have It, N****s in Paris. And I'd forgotten how much Murder to Excellence goes for the jugular, esp. on a record suburban accountants bought so they could go HAM on the way to saturday night's Buffalo Wild Wings dinner after 18 holes
let me tell you that as a gay male, the appearance of the term 'fuckboy' is really confusing

it's fersure problematic in origin though it's the rare case where I think context really has changed it into something else. feels to me like it's been divorced from the idea of "fucks boys" and made into "dude engaging in fuckery." RTJ have defended in well but I can't ifnd where.

edit: best kanye verse is clearly on that gaga-sampling track on MOTM. That verse, Gaga, Cudi--every element of that song is just timeless

Esch

Banned

esch stahp.

yeah but for those of us that like rapping, ie rap fans, are a bit puzzled when ye stans point out jay's decline in emcee facilities while failing to register any of kanye's glut of poor technical singing and decline as a rapper himself; dude is stretching to fit syllables in the gaps between beats a lot more and more recently. he still has energy, but yeah...

I guess it's okay, because he's like, an artist, not even a rapper. But is somehow the GOAT rap artist.

HiResDes

I'm in love with this rapper I just discovered named Greg Grease. He makes really traditional no-nonsense soulful hip-hop, but there are very few rappers who dedicate as much time to their lyrical content and rhyme schemes these days. His style reminds me of Lute, who dropped that awesome debut and then seemingly vanished.

He's the iTunes link to the album it's all I can find: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/born-to-lurk-forced-to-work/id975382147

and a few of his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwKe67KDY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNjOkmL-7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0T74TzT1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gEbpq7Kuk

...I'm going back and grabbing all of his past work.

Edit: Found a soundcloud link to his new album "Born to Lurk Forced to Work"

codhand

I'm in love with this rapper I just discovered named Greg Grease. He makes really traditional no-nonsense soulful hip-hop, but there are very few rappers who dedicate as much time to their lyrical content and rhyme schemes these days. His style reminds me of Lute, who dropped that awesome debut and then seemingly vanished.

pretty straightforward, but it's chill, nice find

new Black Milk is dope too, is he trying to drop another project soon?

PBY

Banned
yeah but for those of us that like rapping, ie rap fans, are a bit puzzled when ye stans point out jay's decline in emcee facilities while failing to register any of kanye's glut of poor technical singing and decline as a rapper himself; dude is stretching to fit syllables in the gaps between beats a lot more and more recently. he still has energy, but yeah...

I guess it's okay, because he's like, an artist, not even a rapper. But is somehow the GOAT rap artist.

I pretty much only care about energy and vibe- its why at ye shows when he's fucking gasping and missing words, but hes yelling about goddamn croissants in front of a holy mountain with a choir and dancehall samples in a diamond mask- i cant help but just go with it.

Technical precision and rappity rap technique never really spoke to me- its like a really flashy guitar solo for me. I get why people like it, but its not my thing.

Why is why ye is my goat.

And our generation's MJ.

And made the GOAT rap album.

Fjordson

He's the iTunes link to the album it's all I can find: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/born-to-lurk-forced-to-work/id975382147

and a few of his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwKe67KDY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNjOkmL-7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0T74TzT1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gEbpq7Kuk

Really nice. He's got some great beats.

HiResDes

nobody ever said Ye the goat rapper though. Gnauze can have that.

gross

Oh man theres so many. soooooo many.

Try to make a list man, I'm missing so much of his new stuff, because I don't feel like going through it all. His output is more ridiculous than Lil B's at this point.

PBY

Banned
Try to make a list man, I'm missing so much of his new stuff, because I don't feel like going through it all. His output is more ridiculous than Lil B's at this point.

Lol when I have time Ima feed yall; Ive listened to every gucci release.

DominoKid

Ill see what I can come up with later today. That way I can actually make my mega gucci gym playlist with this.

I havent even heard his output from the back half of 2014 to now either lmao. How does one man make all that music.

PBY

Banned
Ill see what I can come up with later today. That way I can actually make my mega gucci gym playlist with this.

I havent even heard his output from the back half of 2014 to now either lmao. How does one man make all that music.

BigGucciSosa is required listening fyi

edit: for a one track pickup, "In" off Views from Zone 6 is fucking awesome.
Whole mixtape was pretty good tbh

Esch is onto something. I guess you could call it the Kanye Double Standard. Usually when someone puts their name in the ring as a "best rapper/GOAT/etc etc" it leads to people judging them on a different level. I hold guys like Nas, Hov, Ghostface, Scarface, etc to a different level than I hold...Migos, for instance. I can enjoy Migos without thinking "this ain't D'Evils tho." But when guys like Drake, Cole, Kanye and others tell me they want to be judged on a higher level I give them what they want.

Yet most people don't judge Kanye on any level lyrically. When Yeezus came out I remember lots of people getting hype over Bound 2. Yet if you listen to that song...Kanye is HORRIBLE on it, brehs lets be honest. Yeezus is full of questionable lyrics and rapping, yet it gets a pass. Hell, I gave it a really good review. Why is that? I don't know. I think the fact that lyrics aren't everything plays a role. Also good lyricism and good songwriting aren't necessarily the same thing (see: Lupe). Do we give him a pass because everything else about his projects tend to be dope (production, hooks, etc)? Or does he get the pass because normally his lyrics aren't as bad as Bound 2; usually they're average/not offensive to the ear.

Dunno.

PBY

Banned
Esch is onto something. I guess you could call it the Kanye Double Standard. Usually when someone puts their name in the ring as a "best rapper/GOAT/etc etc" it leads to people judging them on a different level. I hold guys like Nas, Hov, Ghostface, Scarface, etc to a different level than I hold...Migos, for instance. I can enjoy Migos without thinking "this ain't D'Evils tho." But when guys like Drake, Cole, Kanye and others tell me they want to be judged on a higher level I give them what they want.

Yet most people don't judge Kanye on any level lyrically. When Yeezus came out I remember lots of people getting hype over Bound 2. Yet if you listen to that song...Kanye is HORRIBLE on it, brehs lets be honest. Yeezus is full of questionable lyrics and rapping, yet it gets a pass. Hell, I gave it a really good review. Why is that? I don't know. I think the fact that lyrics aren't everything plays a role. Also good lyricism and good songwriting aren't necessarily the same thing (see: Lupe). Do we give him a pass because everything else about his projects tend to be dope (production, hooks, etc)? Or does he get the pass because normally his lyrics aren't as bad as Bound 2; usually they're average/not offensive to the ear.

Dunno.
I think his lyrics are great.

HiResDes

BigGucciSosa is required listening fyi

edit: for a one track pickup, "In" off Views from Zone 6 is fucking awesome.
Whole mixtape was pretty good tbh

Fuck I just dived into Gucci's output from just the past three months:

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Mr. Clean The Middle Man
(Already had) Views from Zone 6
Brick Factory 3
1017 Mafia: Incarcerated
East Atlanta Santa

...I'll probably bump a total of ten tracks out of these.

Kanye's not a lyricist, you don't have to be a GOAT lyricist to be a great rapper lol. Jay-Z simply doesn't have the charisma to match Ye anymore. Ye's charisma, energy, humor, and ability to craft anthems is still going quite strong.

FZZ

Banned
lol @ the comments section of the TPAB review
people still overrating MBDTF tho smh

It's not. It will outlast Kendrck's album by a couple of decades.

I've already ran into people, IRL and online, that hate TPAB because it's either too preachy or the production sounds 'dated.' It's crazy how myopic people can be with the music they consume.

I agree it really is an issue when people do that, especially for such flawed reasons. The album's production is great, Kendrick's lyricism is amazing the album deserves repeats and his message is incredibly powerful. With all that said there is one issue I keep on running into and that is that the production and the melody of Kendrick rapping do not mix in the first half. It is cacophonous outside the second half of the album, complete oil and water. Other than King Kunta and Wesley's Theory it is very apparent that the production does not complement Kendrick's tone. It's cartoony almost and just throws me off. That's why I am surprised seeing so many people overlook such a basic necessity of music in general and are handing out the album 10's for the sake of being creative. The album is amazing, it deserves repeats, Kendrick's message is beautiful, but the album is in no way perfect.

PBY

Banned
Fuck I just dived into Gucci's output from just the past three months:

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Mr. Clean The Middle Man
(Already had) Views from Zone 6
Brick Factory 3
1017 Mafia: Incarcerated
East Atlanta Santa

...I'll probably bump a total of ten tracks out of these.
Theres a lot of filler

Courage

Dunno.

Depends on the album and what it sets out to do. I think he's lyrically amazing on MBDTF but not so much on Yeezus because it's essentially capturing his frustration and anger purely. New Slaves wouldn't be the classic Ye song that it is now if he tried to fit syllables, make double entendres, use figurative language etc. It's blunt, brutal and primal, just like most of the album.

Nibel

I think his lyrics are great.

itgg9rcmzkfp.gif

tbh though

Kanye is a average rapper, but is pretty successful when it comes to creating vibes - which is why I guess a lot of people give him a pass. He nails the arrogant asshole persona and knows how to let listeners dive into certain atmospheres.

Good music is not having good rhyme patterns, or deep lyrics, or impressive beats, but a mix of all that to a certain degree at least. Kanye says the right words on the right beats, that's why a bunch of people fuck with him

Fjordson

Definitely think Kanye is average lyrically most of the time, but you can still be effective on a record without grade-A lyrics. He usually has every other aspect working for him.

HiResDes

Nibel is quite correct. And if we look at at the lyrics of MCHG on paper maybe they're on the same level as Ye's on Yeezus. However, Jay's delivery and timing is just so cringe worthy on that album that it sucks the life out all of the tracks despite having great production and lofty Kanye-sized ambitions.

Courage

PD's lyrical bias ain't anything new really
lOGIPk7.png

He's just utilizing it to troll us Kanye stans. I'm sure he thinks MCHG is trash too.

I should probably amend my statement a bit: with respect to the GOATs I don't hold everything they do to their past standards. I don't dislike MCHG because it's not Reasonable Doubt - I dislike it because it's trash. I'd be more apt to compare it to just about any similar sounding, good album or mixtape with a similar sound. ASAP's mixtape comes to mind. As I said, if you put Rocky or Danny Brown over those beats it would be great.

That being said, Jay is better than MCHG. There are so many dudes rapping well over trap beats; I'd even be fine with the bad lyrics if he didn't sound like some imposter trying to rap like the kids and failing. Likewise Nas is better than HHID, there's no excuse for that shit.

Esch

Banned

Dunno.

You know in your heart of hearts the true reason you don't like Kanye, personality and emotional shit aside, is cause he's not a dyed in the wool gawd emcee and yet he has his spot in the pantheon and has been given one based on nebulous concepts of charisma by dudes that started listening to rap in 2003. Real spit, even Wayne at his peak was a better rapper. When Kanye drops a 'gawdly' verse like Gorgeous as these dudes are telling you, it's pretty ho-hum from a mechanistic perspective. Kanye is really good, no the the best at striking a balance between the type of shit artsy fartsy p4k dudes want and accessibility.

Kanye gets a pass for it.... And then people say he deserves it because people like him for his production.... I think Kanye's lyrics are spotty personally, I've found him to be both poignant and stupid, entertaining and prattish/corny. Obviously though, we both know how many ghostwriters he's had so I don't know how to evaluate him there lol. Technically though, I agree with tguy when he says his verses have been getting wacker and wacker. That's just natural though, everyone drops off after a couple albums and a few years.

heads always like to cite his personality and other shit like that as the reason they don't like kanye, but i've always felt the real reason is because he's just not a god of rapping. nowhere near it.

Esch

Banned
http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/18/drake-dubai-club-fight-video/

1vhTr62.gif

Nibel is quite correct. And if we look at at the lyrics of MCHG on paper maybe they're on the same level as Ye's on Yeezus. However, Jay's delivery and timing is just so cringe worthy on that album that it sucks the life out all of the tracks despite having great production and lofty Kanye-sized ambitions.

shit has no kanye sized ambitions dont be silly. It's just a by the numbers pop rap album, with pop rap album intent

Nibel

ijlxewedycnje23spf.gif

Motherfucker pat him on the head like a child, Dubai needs to chill and leave my boy Aubrey alone

Dude needs to focus on finishing that classic VFT6

Esch

Banned
lmao say what you want about rappers today, but rappers of the past are lucky as fuck social media didn't exist. Would have ended careers, maybe even jail time.

imagine that video of mase getting his jaw clipped by ghostface

jay stabbing lance

raekwon's servant giving joe budden a two piece

Mm84Hms.png

lmao say what you want about rappers today, but rappers of the past are lucky as fuck social media didn't exist. Would have ended careers, maybe even jail time.

imagine that video of mase getting his jaw clipped by ghostface

jay stabbing lance

raekwon's servant giving joe budden a two piece

Mm84Hms.png

50 crying when Chelsea Handler dumped him.

It's not that crazy to account for Ye praise and Jay criticisms. Rapping isn't lyricism alone, look at Lupe.

Delivery/charisma/presence w/e accounts for something. Now that Ye and Jay are basically at the same level lyrically for the past few years, it's clear as day that Jay just isn't compelling if he isn't flowing, whereas Kanye can still be entertaining and attention grabbing while saying shit like "if you leave mickey you're gonna end up with a goofy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom