• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBK

Banned
gotta stay calm under pressure when niccas touch your head (pause) brehs
HjpwyQU.gif

Don't know if I can look at Esco the same after seeing this.

HiResDes

Pardon my ignorance, but who is this DJ Effn artist like what's his history and if his past work is as good as Another Time then I need to dig into his stuff.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm in love with this rapper I just discovered named Greg Grease. He makes really traditional no-nonsense soulful hip-hop, but there are very few rappers who dedicate as much time to their lyrical content and rhyme schemes these days. His style reminds me of Lute, who dropped that awesome debut and then seemingly vanished.

He's the iTunes link to the album it's all I can find: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/born-to-lurk-forced-to-work/id975382147

and a few of his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwKe67KDY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNjOkmL-7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0T74TzT1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gEbpq7Kuk

...I'm going back and grabbing all of his past work.

Edit: Found a soundcloud link to his new album "Born to Lurk Forced to Work"

Des coming through again. Continuum is some of the dopest shit I heard this year.

WTT was a huge album. Had everyone talking and it was a great hip hop album behind it all. Because of who was on it, it captureed the mainstream. Still some great songs on there. Anyone denying that is talking shit. Murder to excellence is amazing. I never really like Otis either. Illest motherfucker alive shouldn't have been a bonus song.

Kanye stans say the damndest things tho

IrishNinja

here lemme help you

ROC MARCIANO IS ON TRACK ONE

there, that oughta increase interest

see now ima click

Kendrick avoids the preachy label to me by fully revealing his contradictions, flaws, and vulnerability. One of the biggest problems with Lupe is that his work is so non-personal. He sounds like some angel looking down on earth shaking his head. And he also sounds bitter, like he resents the fact that so many people dismiss him. He represents every high school backpacker, angry over the mainstream. I was that dude in HS so I recognize it. Listening to Mos & Kweli, shaking my head at 50 Cent stans as if they personally did me dirty.

this definitely feels true for me - lupe isn't a good songwriter, and the condescension/bitterness is palpable at times. listen to his shit, then say Shad, and you'll really hear it

wtt was pretty good imo, it's good for the whip

my man. I feel that's one of the few songs where you sense the chemistry between them, braggadocious and intimidating.

+1, the whole "doesnt age well" thing is true of any summertime banger album i guess but i can still revisit the shit out of certain tracks.
the back & forth on what you need/i got it is so great too

Yea we should establish that Holy Grail is a bad song. But we should also establish that if Ye had taken Holy Grail he would have replaced JT with Mr Hudson, layered 3-7 unnecessary instruments underneath the sample, sung off key alongside Mr Hudson, and added a church choir.

Without even hearing Ye's version I'll say that I prefer Hov's #minimalist version.

#factsonly
this is the same yeezy that can give us Blood on the Leaves and dick it up by autotuning himself singing over a nina simone sample for like a minute and a half at the end...i was really starting to notice this around MBDTF but the self-indulgence, while i know a lotta stans here see it as a strength, could really be reigned in a bit for the song's sake once in a while

bumping this & ikey next, thanks man

And made the GOAT rap album.

I think his lyrics are great.

Ive listened to every gucci release.

...oh

PD's lyrical bias ain't anything new really
lOGIPk7.png

He's just utilizing it to troll us Kanye stans. I'm sure he thinks MCHG is trash too.

PD can troll and put on clinics, ya'll should know his steez

Real spit, even Wayne at his peak was a better rapper.

see it sounds weird when you say it like that but revisiting early wayne...yeah, its true
like i love yeezy's songwriting/production/etc but never once thought his flow/ability/lyricism etc put him in top 10 list, cause it doesn't. production? no doubt, even with the teams he uses now. consistently enjoyable albums? oh yeah, even the bits of his discog i don't dig as much are solid albums. but top 10 as a rapper? nah

lmao say what you want about rappers today, but rappers of the past are lucky as fuck social media didn't exist. Would have ended careers, maybe even jail time.

imagine that video of mase getting his jaw clipped by ghostface

jay stabbing lance

raekwon's servant giving joe budden a two piece

Mm84Hms.png

oh yeah, i mean imagine athletes in the 90's too...phew
for real, dying to dig through old issues of The Source just for classic moments of recklessness

Fjordson

oh yeah, i mean imagine athletes in the 90's too...phew
for real, dying to dig through old issues of The Source just for classic moments of recklessness
Big time with athletes for sure. Constant news cycle + constant barrage from places like twitter gets a lot of guys caught up in bad publicity.

Dudes like Jordan probably wouldn't have as flawless a legacy as far as their perception goes if they were coming up today (though even MJ's has cracked a bit in recent years).

Detox

The cool 2 can be dope depending on how he tackles his death.

Let Lupe live his ambition, concepts and style can be interesting and refreshing.

Nibel

Think this confirms Cole>KDot as far as popularity.

Well, yeah

Cole reaches an audience that Kendrick could probably never reach; it was discussed a few pages ago iirc

Fake edit: found it, the best description of his music I've ever read

P sure Cole has the white middle America suburbia demographic down pat in a way Kendrick never will. Dude speaks to that generation of bored but not quite ready to dig into anything serious, middle of the road crowd who feeds on mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom