• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

https://vine.co/v/OViWBIwzB9H

z4pYEvA.png

Sounwave interview on the creation of the album. Says they went through three phases of the album, which seems to confirm my view that Kendrick scrapped an album before moving in a drastically different direction.
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2015/03/sounwave-kendrick-lamar-pimp-butterfly-interview/

Everyone’s wondering who LoveDragon is; they are credited with two beats on the album (“How Much A Dollar Cost” and “You Ain’t Gotta Lie”). Do you know who LoveDragon is?

[Laughs] LoveDragon? You might have to talk to somebody else on that one. I keep that one up in the air for the right time for whenever that person wants to come out.

You’re only adding to the mystery here.

[Laughs] Hey, hey, I’m not the one to spill the beans on it or whatever. They wanna be known, they’ll be known.

Could it be Dre? Before the album came out Sounwave tweeted "track 11, Dre back" but quickly deleted it. He also is credited for this. Love that track.

PBY

Banned
Sounwave interview on the creation of the album. Says they went through three phases of the album, which seems to confirm my view that Kendrick scrapped an album before moving in a drastically different direction.
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2015/03/sounwave-kendrick-lamar-pimp-butterfly-interview/

Could it be Dre? Before the album came out Sounwave tweeted "track 11, Dre back" but quickly deleted it. He also is credited for this. Love that track.
Yeah they scrapped the yelling k dot album. We need that commercial track.

In an interview with Power 106’s “The Cruz Show,” Game revealed that he is “about 90 percent” done with the album and has logged studio time with Kanye West, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, Just Blaze, and Scott Storch, who all contributed to his 2005 debut.

SFSCl2B.gif

There is hope, holy shit!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's definitely an L for Kendrick, especially considering the streaming records breaking. An L to expectations, comparisons to his peers and his previous work all in one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I guess, but a lot of the blame lies on TDE. They kinda fucked him over.
Didn't we just have some shit posted about Kendrick wanting a year and a half to do the album?

Yes, TDE was a problem, but Kendrick is still bigger than TDE and clearly the interest was still there. Just seemingly the product itself wasn't.

IrishNinja

be legit surprised when an out-there funk project doesn't do as well as one by an artist with a skrong female fanbase who aims for radio play, brehs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
375k is still really good for the kind and quality of that album. It's still indicative of a very strong core fanbase, and the responses in this thread from the hardcore Kendrick fans supports that IMO.

It's an L in the grand scheme of things but yeah Kendrick can put out whatever and be good knowing people will ride for it, so that's a W and the mark of longevity. The previous uncertainty has been mitigated.

Courage

Didn't we just have some shit posted about Kendrick wanting a year and a half to do the album?

Yes, TDE was a problem, but Kendrick is still bigger than TDE and clearly the interest was still there. Just seemingly the product itself wasn't.

So it's an L cause he didn't wanna release a half-assed album? I can only think of the lack of singles affecting him in that aspect, but he had i which was a moderate success.

be legit surprised when an out-there funk project doesn't do as well as one by an artist with a skrong female fanbase who aims for radio play, brehs
I still think people will buy this despite it being different and not aligned with what they expect. If anything it's his next album that'll have a decrease in sales, but who knows what might even happen till then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So it's an L cause he didn't wanna release a half-assed album? I can only think of the lack of singles affecting him in that aspect, but he had i which was a moderate success.
No, I'm just saying absolving Kendrick of blame is some bullshit, especially when one of the biggest things people got at TDE for was significantly Kendrick's decision. Now it's really sounding like typical label blame-shfiting.

Lack of singles isn't an excuse either when Cole and Big Sean both did similar variants of the limited promo run which benefited both their releases, and they're held nowhere near the same pedestal as Kendrick by rap fans. Unless I'm missing some factor here, by deduction Kendrick missed his mark not with generating interest beforehand, but with the album itself which people streamed en masse and decided not to buy in. Hell, Kendrick even jumped out with a radio friendly single in the first place. No excuses in that respect either.

will wait for actual album totals...

Man next week is gonna be live. Bronson whew...snippets sound dope. I'll check the Earl out too. Dunno what to expect. His voice is sounding better lately but I think he needs a change of scenery, music wise. Different producers or something, maybe less OF stuff. Spitta in early April wheww.

wish we'd get some more info on Ka's next album. The first track released is dope.

Courage

No, I'm just saying absolving Kendrick of blame is some bullshit, especially when one of the biggest things people got at TDE for was significantly Kendrick's decision. Now it's really sounding like typical label blame-shfiting.

Lack of singles isn't an excuse either when Cole and Big Sean both did similar variants of the limited promo run which benefited both their releases, and they're held nowhere near the same pedestal as Kendrick by rap fans. Unless I'm missing some factor here, by deduction Kendrick missed his mark not with generating interest beforehand, but with the album itself which people streamed en masse and decided not to buy in. Hell, Kendrick even jumped out with a radio friendly single in the first place. No excuses in that respect either.

I concede, you make a valid point. It might also be premature to talk about this since physical sales might pick up beyond projections if retailers just now received copies. The hype might permeate there in the oncoming days. We did see day 2 breaking day 1's streaming record, so you never know how it may snowball.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I concede, you make a valid point. It might also be premature to talk about this since physical sales might pick up beyond projections if retailers just now received copies. The hype might permeate there in the oncoming days. We did see day 2 breaking day 1's streaming record, so you never know how it may snowball.
It's definitely premature, and I don't trust projections in general despite them being pretty reliable for the scale of information they collect.

The only other factor I can think of is the mainstream being really put off by the heavily pro-Black message. Which is, perhaps more depressing than anything else. I don't think that's a case post-NWA, and post-Ferguson though. Kendrick got the lay up.

It's definitely premature, and I don't trust projections in general despite them being pretty reliable for the scale of information they collect.

The only other factor I can think of is the mainstream being really put off by the heavily pro-Black message. Which is, perhaps more depressing than anything else. I don't think that's a case post-NWA, and post-Ferguson though. Kendrick got the lay up.

It's hard to make projections in this case because the physical copies hit stores today, three days after the digital release.

IrishNinja

so not just cole, but sean's in kenny's lane now too? huh

oh yeah, people were really checking for afro-centric again after ferguson, no doubt
sensational

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
oh yeah, people were really checking for afro-centric again after ferguson, no doubt
sensational
When you've got a counter-argument, I'm ready. Historically it worked for people like Public Enemy/NWA and they were charged with breaking it into the mainstream consciousness, not leveraging it's existence and current upheaval on social media, the same social media that put Kendrick where he is.

Months and months of rappers being critiqued for what they say or whether they said anything at all. You got Killer Mike becoming a figurehead for the hip-hop community and people listening, and our social commentary golden boy, Kendrick Lamar, is still waiting in the locker room. Cosigns from every major artist in his genre, some literally bowing down to him as a voice for the future. His mainstream interviews in 2014 talking about his unique perspective of an individual who had to relearn about the world after he stopped just hearing about white people but then actually met some at an older age. You can write a book about all the great opportunities he received over the past year that boosted his stock and interest.

Tangential, I think the position Kendrick is in also really limits your ability to use jazzy influences as a scapegoat for album sales. Surely it turned people off, but I don't think that's in the hundreds of thousands. I really think he's in a position where he could have (and may still depending on how this all shakes out) actually make a difference on the landscape of hip-hop and "bring jazz back." The last two years have been all of hip-hop and influential figures outside of hip-hop donating their ki to this dude and TPAB is the episode where the Spirit Ball missed.

But yeah, it's 150k-200k up on his last debut right? That's no small feat either. Pretty much nobody in this era of hip-hop has seen that kind of improvement on their sophomore. Drake has been doing ridiculous numbers since he came out so that's not really a great comparison point.

EDIT: After writing this, it may still actually be a W depending on how it shakes out. When I think about the numbers some more he's kind of approaching a margin of error if we're comparing it to Cole. And perhaps this is an even bigger W if he indeed doesn't have a female fanbase.

Fjordson

will wait for actual album totals...

Man next week is gonna be live. Bronson whew...snippets sound dope. I'll check the Earl out too. Dunno what to expect. His voice is sounding better lately but I think he needs a change of scenery, music wise. Different producers or something, maybe less OF stuff. Spitta in early April wheww.

wish we'd get some more info on Ka's next album. The first track released is dope.
Agreed on all this. Can't wait for Mr. Yen Lo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom