• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when enzo said 200k isn't bad for first week sales while defending Kanye.

2vdNksu.gif

IrishNinja

When you've got a counter-argument, I'm ready. Historically it worked for people like Public Enemy/NWA and they were charged with breaking it into the mainstream consciousness, not leveraging it's existence and current upheaval on social media, the same social media that put Kendrick where he is.

...like, you can't be serious. it's known you're a souljah with weak knowledge of the era your'e referencing, but you seriously think that subject would get mainstream appeal, even if it was the day after the grand jury fuckery? if that's the case, why didn't more artists jump on that with a big release? there was that marco tape, and not much else.

you're still in the turnt up era. no one's trying to hear a new chuck d/de la rocha, least of all sean/cole mainstream audiences

Months and months of rappers being critiqued for what they say or whether they said anything at all. You got Killer Mike becoming a figurehead for the hip-hop community and people listening, and our social commentary golden boy, Kendrick Lamar, is still waiting in the locker room. Cosigns from every major artist in his genre, some literally bowing down to him as a voice for the future.

don't even know what this has to do with anything - you're citing what, blogs and kilelr mike and asking why that doesnt equate sales? what kind of power do you think cosigns have, that even half of gaf-hop thought this shit was comparable to electric circus at first - again, im having a hard time taking this serious. king kunta turned out to be a better representation than I, no doubt, but looking at what we got, i have no idea how you'd expect that to sell.

your boy likely didn't expect high sales out of an effort like yeezus either, that's kinda how things work.

"bring jazz back."

stahp
you've got stuff like this, dom co-signs & now drake's sales are in the mix
just stahp fam

Remember when enzo said 200k isn't bad for first week sales while defending Kanye

...and me without WWE gifs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Remember when enzo said 200k isn't bad for first week sales while defending Kanye.

2vdNksu.gif
When you let Kendrick nut in your eye long enough, does it make it hard to see context or what? Nothing contradicts here. I even already said Kendrick is gucci with these numbers, he just fails to meet certain, specific expectations that we have of him in his current position in the game. In the same way 40k or whatever is good for Danny Brown, you can judge things differently based upon their spot in the game. Of course you would expect less from a mainstream artist who probably the most hated person in the mainstream.

Eos

pretty good #s for Kendrick, I'm expecting more since there was a delay between the digital and physical releases. we'll find out next week.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
busta busta been hitting those quarter pounders too hard.

is this Gucci tape worth fucking with or is everyone still strokin and discharging over Kenny L's?

Also new Shlohmo record dripped.

hype.

overcast

375k + 3.8 million streams isn't an L at all. I don't think this album will be a hit, and it'll have a huge drop off but those are good numbers. The thing is, there is no doubt Kendrick had potential to drop an album that would have capitalized on his Control/GKMC hype. One where he brought some bangers that a huge population would appreciate, one that Interscope would have loved for sure. This isn't that album though. Don't feel like Kendrick really cares, doesn't seem like that person and this album went further to establish that.

this Gucci tape worth fucking with or is everyone still strokin and discharging over Kenny L's?
It's Gucci for like 30 songs+, so no.

IrishNinja

....maaaaaan i get that the k-dot talk is exhausted for some of ya'l but gucci? death grips?
jesus, bronson & PT3 can't drop fast enough

also - hot take: yeezy season is gonna make some of ya'll long for the nuthugging & evolving album pinons that went down here

wenis

....maaaaaan i get that the k-dot talk is exhausted for some of ya'l but gucci? death grips?

also - hot take: yeezy season is gonna make some of ya'll long for the nuthugging & evolving album pinons that went down here

you ever try to hit the eliptical with some Curren$y in your ear? I'd pass out. I need some music that makes me feel like I'm being chased by a madman with a machete and nothing to lose.

overcast

Well Bronson and PT3 will be here soon enough. Death Grips really don't get talked about a lot in here to be fair.

I'm still laughing at some of these insta/vines posted earlier.

When you let Kendrick nut in your eye long enough, does it make it hard to see context or what? Nothing contradicts here. I even already said Kendrick is gucci with these numbers, he just fails to meet certain, specific expectations that we have of him in his current position in the game. In the same way 40k or whatever is good for Danny Brown, you can judge things differently based upon their spot in the game. Of course you would expect less from a mainstream artist who probably the most hated person in the mainstream.

Where were these caveats in the thread I posted lol. But I agree, Kanye destroyed his brand with an experimental album and a trainwreck of a personal life. Kendrick just released an experimental album as well, although perhaps less polarizing than Yeezus based on metacritic's user scores and twitter at least.

What is Kanye's spot in the game today...that's an interesting question. He's definitely below Drake and Hov. Sales wise he's even below Cole. I think he's below Kendrick too. Right now his popularity seems inflated by the reality tv trainwreck he attached his brand to.

btw what would be a good first week number for Kendrick in your view?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
...like, you can't be serious. it's known you're a souljah with weak knowledge of the era your'e referencing, but you seriously think that subject would get mainstream appeal, even if it was the day after the grand jury fuckery? if that's the case, why didn't more artists jump on that with a big release? there was that marco tape, and not much else.

you're still in the turnt up era. no one's trying to hear a new chuck d/de la rocha, least of all sean/cole mainstream audiences

don't even know what this has to do with anything - you're citing what, blogs and kilelr mike and asking why that doesnt equate sales? what kind of power do you think cosigns have, that even half of gaf-hop thought this shit was comparable to electric circus at first - again, im having a hard time taking this serious. king kunta turned out to be a better representation than I, no doubt, but looking at what we got, i have no idea how you'd expect that to sell.

your boy likely didn't expect high sales out of an effort like yeezus either, that's kinda how things work.
If you are arguing that these topics aren't heavily in mainstream news, not just musically with stuff like the Iggy controversies that have reached a head recently, but also general strife of minorities (notably, blacks), then yeah, we have nothing to argue about, and perhaps being a Soulja Girl just means you don't have wax in your ears. General awareness is step one, but beyond that we've seen some massive social movements recently as well that show people will put agency behind these sorts of beliefs.

And to be real, it's not like someone who was morally opposed to such things was out there was copping GKMC. But they may have copped that 2014 Forest Hills Drive that did discuss similar topics as well. Perhaps a softer, squishier product with less jazz man juice lathered all over it, but they did.

Where were these caveats in the thread I posted lol. But I agree, Kanye destroyed his brand with an experimental album and a trainwreck of a personal life. Kendrick just released an experimental album as well, although perhaps less polarizing than Yeezus based on metacritic's user scores and twitter at least.

What is Kanye's spot in the game today...that's an interesting question. He's definitely below Drake and Hov. Sales wise he's even below Cole. I think he's below Kendrick too. Right now his popularity seems inflated by the reality tv trainwreck he attached his brand to.

btw what would be a good first week number for Kendrick in your view?
They're in that very post.

Kanye has the added benefit of years of critical trust and bias, that Kendrick has yet to achieve. When people are using adjectives like "artistic" to describe your sophomore album, you can anticipate they're uneasy about jumping on the train but eventually will.

I think Kendrick's first week numbers are good like I said before, they're just super hard to reconcile with Cole's considering Cole is asked about if Kendrick will let him do an album with him every interview. I was expecting ~400-450k and we're not far off. Perhaps this should be looked at the inverse way and we should try to figure out how the fuck Cole sold so much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know I'm really flip flopping, but I like it too. I just needed some time fam.
9jBmg.png
I just put the album down in general and am gonna go back to it in a couple weeks. I think it has it's moments but overall I feel like I'm forcing myself to try and like it, and that's a red flag.

I feel like your average Kanye stan should love the album TBH. Or at least maybe that's what I expect of KTT.

Courage

I found myself humming These Walls and Alright today. Songs that I trashed
0Z6aiHI.png

The positivity has bled into me.
0Z6aiHI.png

I even like the For Sale? Interlude now. I love how dreamy it sounds.
0Z6aiHI.png

IrishNinja

when Sales-Age goes wrong

you ever try to hit the eliptical with some Curren$y in your ear? I'd pass out. I need some music that makes me feel like I'm being chased by a madman with a machete and nothing to lose.

i can dig this, but that's why i fuck with industrial/etc too

If you are arguing that these topics aren't heavily in mainstream news, not just musically with stuff like the Iggy controversies that have reached a head recently, but also general strife of minorities (notably, blacks), then yeah, we have nothing to argue about, and perhaps being a Soulja Girl just means you don't have wax in your ears. General awareness is step one, but beyond that we've seen some massive social movements recently as well that show people will put agency behind these sorts of beliefs.

...literally no one is arguing that these are hot topics; im in disbelief you think aftro-centric content will hit mainstream #'s, especially the way kenny has it on here: heavy, and with funk/jazz/some soul infliction.

the other major disconnect you have here is: so what? plenty of things get talked about on twitter/elsewhere, like gender issues are huge right now. you seriously think that means an either established or hot female MC can capitalize on that, much less sell big #'s to crossover taylor/drake/etc crowds? FOH - i don't claim to have my finger on the pulse but no way you believe this stuff in 2015

And to be real, it's not like someone who was morally opposed to such things was out there was copping GKMC. But they may have copped that 2014 Forest Hills Drive that did discuss similar topics as well. Perhaps a softer, squishier product with less jazz man juice lathered all over it, but they did.

we're talking polar ends of the spectrum: Forest Hills is clean enough to be found in a beverley hills hospital elevator. also, it "discussed similar topics as well" the way CNN's ferguson coverage/insights spoke to Chomsky readers, in that these things are not even remotely comparable.

CoolOff

County Building Blues suddenly appeared on Kendricks Spotify-discography the other day. I had never heard it before. With this, Collect Calls, Cartoons & Cereal, BBF, what's the "optimal" GKMC-tracklist in your opinion? I really feel like Compton should be the final track.

mooooose

I'll buy TPAB on vinyl, not iTunes. This album will have legs and as people digest it and it receives the due attention it deserves, rather than hype, people will continuously buy the album. Much like GKMC. Word of mouth and mainstream critical acclaim will drive it forward.

wenis

I'll buy TPAB on vinyl, not iTunes. This album will have legs and as people digest it and it receives the due attention it deserves, rather than hype, people will continuously buy the album. Much like GKMC. Word of mouth and mainstream critical acclaim will drive it forward.

whenever the fuck that happens. TDE is the fucking worst with vinyl releases. like DC with trades for their comics, we'll get it 5 months from the initial release.

IrishNinja

yeah, count me in for a vinyl purchase at the right price, too - especially if it has any fancy shit like gatefold cover/picture insert whatever, i love that shit

whenever the fuck that happens. TDE is the fucking worst with vinyl releases. like DC with trades for their comics, we'll get it 5 months from the initial release.

damn, this post has #levels for me

RBK

Banned
I'm assuming these vinyls are for collectors purposes right?

Don't think I've seen a record player in over 15 years.

mooooose

Don't overestimate critical acclaim when it comes to public sales.
People need to hear good things about the album to check it out because right now there is some hesitation because of the divide. One the consensus is that the album is good, but dense, more people will check it out. They can always push Hood Politics as a single, How Much a Dollar Cost as the "intellectual" single, etc. This album is going to have serious legs.

People need to hear good things about the album to check it out because right now there is some hesitation because of the divide. One the consensus is that the album is good, but dense, more people will check it out. They can always push Hood Politics as a single, How Much a Dollar Cost as the "intellectual" single, etc. This album is going to have serious legs.

These Walls and Alright seem like obvious singles (just edit out the skits, obviously). I could see Hood Politics getting some play on some hip hop stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom