• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

XxyOizb.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
We call this the overcorrection reaction. Some of these sites weren't onboard until it was clear Kendrick was a movement. So now, he's entered that critical darling phase where no matter what he does for say, the next two years or so* he'd untouchable.

*Unless he's mean to Taylor Swift or a close facsimile.

This is also the phase where everyone who used to enjoy him will start hating his music with a burning passion because dudes who wear turtlenecks and scarves in the summer and debate the true age of progressive jazz bop harmonica fusion are now fans.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is also the phase where everyone who used to enjoy him will start hating his music with a burning passion because dudes who wear turtlenecks and scarves in the summer and debate the true age of progressive jazz bop harmonica fusion are now fans.

P4K giveth, P4K taketh away.

injurai

Banned

be a fan of music not of the artist

IrishNinja

That is the worst face tattoo I've ever seen. Look like the bad guy in a pilot for Blade 5 starring Bill Cosby.

would watch day 1, no lie

We call this the overcorrection reaction. Some of these sites weren't onboard until it was clear Kendrick was a movement. So now, he's entered that critical darling phase where no matter what he does for say, the next two years or so* he'd untouchable.

*Unless he's mean to Taylor Swift or a close facsimile.

The Roots have been there for like a decade i wanna say
could Thought get away with being mean to a white chick though?

Critics love an album that gives them a lot to write about. TPAB wilk be the inspiration for a thousand garbage ass thinkpieces over the next few weeks. Nevermind the fact that the album is nuttier than squirrel shit.

tell us how you really feel bout this album tho dom

damn, toku stays years ahead of the curve

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Looks like the whole press is giving Kendrick an esch scale pass competely. ppl really convincing themselves this album ain't full of misses and
dUlMFSY.png
worthy sections

I am ok with pitchfork giving kendrick to high of a score. It just affirms my belief that pitchfork knows absolutely nothing about Hip Hop music and makes the scores up for their Hip Hop review by trying to figure out what their readers want to hear.

Don't get me wrong this Album wasn't bad but 9.3 is dick riding by the media

siddx

I still refuse to believe Quik didn't ghost produce King Kunta. It just sounds so much like his work. Even the hook and parts of Kendrick's delivery sound very quiklike.

Logic's album is pretty decent. Glad I gave it a listen.

Yeah the more i've listened to it over the last several months, the more I enjoy it. There are some really fantastic production moments on the album.

I still refuse to believe Quik didn't ghost produce King Kunta. It just sounds so much like his work. Even the hook and parts of Kendrick's delivery sound very quiklike.

Yeah the more i've listened to it over the last several months, the more I enjoy it. There are some really fantastic production moments on the album.

Pretty sure it sampled this track produced by DJ Quik

Looks like the whole press is giving Kendrick an esch scale pass competely. ppl really convincing themselves this album ain't full of misses and
dUlMFSY.png
worthy sections

Eh, it was bound to happen. Don't most rap review scores suck in general, though? Or music reviews in general?

Either way I don't see much of an issue. To me it's an average album but a ton of people seem to love it, to the point where I can't really say it's all stannery.

Zabuza

Banned
Gonna dive into this Gucci triple tape or whatever it is.

Wish me fucking luck brehs

Also TPAB is a flawed masterpiece deserving of that 9.3

siddx

The review "industry" in general is just a garbage heap of broken dreams being eased by buffoonery on both ends of the spectrum. You have too many of these bitter "never made it" shitheads who are either easing their pain by going in on people with are successful, or alternatively running around with their lips parted looking for whatever ballsack will potentially get them ahead. Verbally felate the right people and you might get a shoutout or a chance to hang out or an invite to a party or a chance to hold some corny rapper's weed while he fucks his career up.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
You're acting like this is new or something.

MBDTF-9
TPaB-8.5

I want Kendrick to get props for his music that is great. Not due to dickriders wanting to reward him because they caught onto his old work recently (or maybe through the control controversy, or the Grammy snub) and it dawned on them Kendrick was a great rapper and what he is saying might be "important" so its better to be on the right side of history than actually critique this album.

There are some really good songs on this Album that deserves media attention even if the album has its fair share of misses.

JohnDoe

Banned
Sooo... TPAB has grown a lot on me... still lots of :dahell: moments

tbh...

Section 80: 8
TPAB: 8/8.5
GKMC: 9/9.5

i stil don't see it as the classic people say it is

codhand

TPAB

I give it a 9/10; it's certainly not perfect. Why is it not perfect? Well, yelling "We want the funk!" unironically is almost a full point deduction right there, the other knocks are "i" and Complexion, the latter of which just sounds like cliche filler, that I could picture on 50 other rapper or RnB artist's projects.

Where did the 9 come from? Well the fact I don't insta-skip slam poetry parts (something I never thought I'd do in life). The fact he integrated so many poignant eras of black music. The fact he has so much to say from a subject matter perspective that shows, via the the album's dense 72 minutes. The fact you have to pay attention to every bar, or you get lost. The fact that it challenges notions of the rap genre, through uplifted elements of musicality, and off-kilter vocal cadences, rarely heard in the genre, and even more rare that they be executed with such deft finesse and tangible subtext, as opposed to preachy cornball BS.

This album should be the terrible garbage with yelly Em parts, and played out Isley samples, many thought it might be, but it isn't.

Fave tracks? Everything but "i" and "Complexion" are great to me.

He could rerecord "i" with a church choir intro and use drums from Impeach The President and I still wouldn't like that track.

As much as I praise this album. I don't see myself coming back to it much over the years. Just not my style. So far this year I prefer the new Vic Spencer, Sheitsty Khrist, and Willie The Kid albums for pure listening pleasure. But TPAB has undeniable ambition and talent behind it, that displays itself even when the focus becomes muddied, or too many ingredients get thrown in the pot.

WanderingWind

I've already moved on. TPAB was the third best album I've heard this month. GKMC was the best album I heard in years at this point. "Comparisons aren't fair" blah, blah, blah. Bottom line, I'd rather be listening to something else, so I am.

The score makes sense but man, Pitchfork's review seems pretty amateur compared to the Needle Drop and some of the newspaper reviews I've seen. They released it relatively late, I assumed it would be quite a long or comprehensive review. Meh.

It's a great album that continues to impress and entertain me. I'm actually glad we're getting a variety of new music over the next couple weeks. It'll pull me away from TPAB and it'll be interesting to see how much I go back to it.

codhand

My preliminary thoughts on Mr. Wonderful are that we will find Action Bronson in Well Done mode. An album where he attempted to beast every track, switch up his subject matter, and just generally take the project more seriously.

Basically we get Bronson bringing his A-game over solid beats. "Solid beats" sounds like a diss, but I think from the three tracks we've heard, we can see even his usual collaborators know that their game must be elevated too with the pressure of a major label debut. Tracks are reaching over four minutes, something we don't always see a lot with recent Bronson projects, and he is even getting actual radio play on Hot 97!

All that being said, I see it falling short of both Blue Chips' spontaneous, mad genius, and worry it will lack any real lyrical substance, beyond a highlight reel perspective from his past projects, but now with added bonus of greater production values and more bars attempting to say something meaningful.

Of course I'm happy to be wrong and in five years I will probably have spun it more times than something like a TPAB type project, so, I'm still excited for it.

Billboard Hot 100: #51(-36) All Day, All Day, @kanyewest Feat. @TheophilusL, @ALLANKNGDM & @PaulMcCartney [2 weeks].

looks like All Day is an i-esque flop

WanderingWind

That Marcus D record is definitely my AOTY so far. Stupid early to even say such things, but that shit owns my life right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom