• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

The next time i hear All Day onthe radio will be the first time. Dont think Def Jam has actually sent that one out yet.

I was on around the clock from the getgo. they damn near played Drake whole album from the day it dropped.

codhand

Straight into the tired Kendrick discussions

mjjagscry62ue0.gif

yeah, lets talk about that Pyrex Scholar album and how the only two tracks worth a shit are the Roc and Gibbs ones.

magical bars like:

lets not even get into politics / i just wanna make money and holler at chicks
comeon.png

GKMC/TPaB is the new illmatic/IWW.

Would like to see your reasoning. Early last year I would have agreed with you. Rap artist releases critically acclaimed debut; followed by a less acclaimed, more mainstream/popular album that later gains recognition.

But shortly before the album came out I began to think an Ok Computer/Kid A comparison would make more sense, assuming the album was good. Kendrick was at a crossroads with more success than Nas had in 94/95: he could press his mainstream claim and go for the masses (ie chase Drake), or experiment. Most bands/rappers take the mainstream route, but Kendrick went left. And still won, like Radiohead.

Courage

Sooo... TPAB has grown a lot on me... still lots of :dahell: moments

tbh...

Section 80: 8
TPAB: 8/8.5
GKMC: 9/9.5

i stil don't see it as the classic people say it is

Pretty much. Change S80's 8 to a 6 tho and that's me.

I also totally see why people view it as a classic. It surpasses musicianship at this point.

RBK: are you saying IWW>Illmatic.....?
FLdfbaJ.png

we'll see
abr5chG.png

Nah, I'm saying I initially thought Kendrick's followup would be less acclaimed, like IWW is. I really thought Kendrick's album would be full of Maad City type tracks and not be a concept album, mixed with some mainstream singles. But once we started getting word that it was jazzy/experimental I started believing the Kid A comparison made more sense.

codhand

Nah, I'm saying I initially thought Kendrick's followup would be less acclaimed, like IWW is. I really thought Kendrick's album would be full of Maad City type tracks and not be a concept album, mixed with some mainstream singles. But once we started getting word that it was jazzy/experimental I started believing the Kid A comparison made more sense.

ah, yeah, Kid A was a radical departure musically but wound up with greater acclaim against odds,

i never expected that Blacker The Berry would be the only track to feature hard drums. Or that, that would be something appealing to me. i was really prepared to hate TPAB

RBK: are you saying IWW>Illmatic.....?

I love all that Jazz shit you have in your music

Esch

Banned
Yeah section 80 has too much cringe but TPABs sonic appeal to dead/flabbynsick music genres and wild questionable rapping choices doesn't have you pulling a face. Come off it m8

This dyyyck ain't freeeeeeeeee
3DO4nl4.png

Nibel

Bitching about reviews like gaming side does brehs

Bitching about a single track and calling it cringeworthy and dismissing the whole album brehs

Is this the #positivity2015 movement we hyped and agreed on in 2014

thabiz

Bitching about reviews like gaming side does brehs

Bitching about a single track and calling it cringeworthy and dismissing the whole album brehs

Is this the #positivity2015 movement we hyped and agreed on in 2014

its like youve never been here before

will review tonight or tomorrow but I'm leaning towards...

Section 80: 8
GKMC: 9.5
TPAB: 9

Usually when I listen to a hip hop album it really doesn't take more than a couple listens for a near concrete opinion to form. Whereas with many other genres like jazz or alternative it might take awhile for me to come to a consensus. This album is definitely leaning towards fluid shifts in my views. Momma has gone from a good track to an amazing track to me; I always loved the Dilla-esque beat but the ending annoyed me. But the track is strong enough to make that tolerable to me now. More importantly I love the second to last verse. Vivid lyricism brehs, yall know that shit is my vice.

I met a little boy that resembled my features
Nappy afro, gap in his smile
Hand me down sneakers bounced through the crowd
Run a number on man and woman that crossed him
Sun beamin' on his beady beads exhausted
Tossin' footballs with his ashy black ankles

kN0vCUf.png

the Pete Rock-esque adlibs...shit is perfect lol. I swear Pete Rock has the GOAT reactions on tracks. Dude always sounds like he's blown away by his shit.

*snare kicks in*
Pete Rock: whewwwww

Esch

Banned
for free is cringe but there are other sections and tracks on it that have me doing the
n6Tgwoy.png

Will drop my track by track maybe tonight while doing some laundry

codhand

Yeah section 80 has too much cringe but TPABs sonic appeal to dead/flabbynsick music genres and wild questionable rapping choices doesn't have you pulling a face. Come off it m8

This dyyyck ain't freeeeeeeeee
3DO4nl4.png

the cringe on Section 80 comes from juvenile lyrics we've heard a thousand times from lesser acts, over production that sounded as if it was gonna offer something fresh and different

the slam poetry stuff on TPAB works because it's tongue in cheek, even if it's an easy target.

i can't convince anyone that saying "this dick aint freeee" is art, but i like free jazz, and that he goes berserk on that track in the last 30 seconds, while still having substance

the "flabby sick musical genres" on paper sounds like a red flag for me, but he handles it well enough, with the exception of "i" which i find derivative as hell, the only other track that has that "hey ya" esque pandering is the opener, which is still a pretty enjoyable song, despite the deliberate throwback nature of it.

as far as his questionable rapping choices, i think that plays to the more theatrical nature of his projects.

on TPAB he spotlights it, using it as a mechanism for showing different sides of himself, and rapping as other people, another nod to 2pac who rapped from his father's perspective on Strictly 4 My Negus

Courage

Despite the tongue in cheek nature of For Free? I still think it doesn't work. I just can't help but laugh at that entire interlude and not for the reasons he intended. I'd say most of my issues with the album don't even stem from the production (other than Pharrell's) but Kendrick's insistence to make it as weird and experimental as possible. A lot of my initial complaints have managed to subside and convince me that some elements work within the context of their songs (For Sale being an example) but there's still times that it flat out doesn't. We don't need the ending of Momma. The love is complicated line still sounds ridiculous. You can still change cadences and not sound monotone but you can also overdo it to the point where it sounds grating on repeated listens.

I also think the poem has diminished the album's flow on subsequent listens. Starting it out once in the beginning and finishing it during the end would have worked just as well and tied the album together nicely.

Other than that I still think it's a great album. This has the best songwriting in his career so far and tackles topics organically in each song. I was kind of taken aback when mooooose said it's a psychedelic experience but I can totally see it now. It's weird and ambitious and does a great job in revitalizing jazz and funk alike.

Nibel

Charlamagne just said on the Brilliant Idiots podcast that Dame's son will visit the BFC very soon #greatnessawaits

Trey

I don't think anything will top Butterfly for me this year because Kendrick's album is exactly the kind that appeals to me. Very lyrical with fleshed out themes and an interesting sound. I don't get hung up on the misses because they're a smaller part of a greater whole, and it all adds up to something enjoyable.

But I'll keep an open mind. There's a lot of good music on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom