• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Only album I'd imagine might top TPAB for me is Ka's.

smugdon.png

This is gonna be a good album.

HiResDes

I think Bronson is gonna bring some crazy heat, Earl sounds super hungry, and we're also getting a new Roc album as well. Year about to be crazy.

thabiz

I wouldn't call TPAB a bad album, it's probably a 7.5-8 for me. But that's almost entirely on lyrical content alone. The production overall just doesn't make this much of a good listen to me. Not even remotely as enjoyable a listen as a lot of tracks on GKMC and Section 80 were. He overdoses on the wizard of oz munchkin voice, annoying effects on some verses, kinda dull jazz-fusion instrumentals, this dick aintaaa freeeeeeuh etc.

How Much a Dollar Cost and Blacker the Berry aside of course.

Though I will say the above mentioned songs and Mortal Man are top 10, maybe top 5 Kendrick.

Fjordson

I wouldn't call TPAB a bad album, it's probably a 7.5-8 for me. But that's almost entirely on lyrical content alone. The production overall just doesn't make this much of a pleasant listen to me. Not even remotely as enjoyable a listen as a lot of tracks on GKMC and Section 80 were.

How Much a Dollar Cost and Blacker the Berry aside of course.

Though I will say the above mentioned songs and Mortal Man are top 10, maybe top 5 Kendrick.
How Much a Dollar Cost and Mortal Man are definitely some of Kenny's best tracks imo.

*runs this back 30 times*

whew. Listened a couple times, I'll play it one more time this evening and then wait until the album.

So as well speculated, each track seems to be titled after a day. Can't wait to see how this comes together conceptually.

After a dozen or so listens....I don't dislike any particular song on TPAB.

Actually agree with PD on the evaluation front. I can usually stick with my first impression as it won't change very much when it comes to hiphop albums, unlike some other genres that tend to require that I give them a couple play-throughs to really get a hold of it. My initial impression of TPAB was ~7 outta 10 but after 4 or 5 spins it settled in more.

Really don't wanna compare it to GKMC because it's so sonically different, it's like comparing a dessert to a four course meal.

will review tonight or tomorrow but I'm leaning towards...

Section 80: 8
GKMC: 9.5
TPAB: 9

Usually when I listen to a hip hop album it really doesn't take more than a couple listens for a near concrete opinion to form. Whereas with many other genres like jazz or alternative it might take awhile for me to come to a consensus. This album is definitely leaning towards fluid shifts in my views. Momma has gone from a good track to an amazing track to me; I always loved the Dilla-esque beat but the ending annoyed me. But the track is strong enough to make that tolerable to me now. More importantly I love the second to last verse. Vivid lyricism brehs, yall know that shit is my vice.

I met a little boy that resembled my features
Nappy afro, gap in his smile
Hand me down sneakers bounced through the crowd
Run a number on man and woman that crossed him
Sun beamin' on his beady beads exhausted
Tossin' footballs with his ashy black ankles

kN0vCUf.png

the Pete Rock-esque adlibs...shit is perfect lol. I swear Pete Rock has the GOAT reactions on tracks. Dude always sounds like he's blown away by his shit.

*snare kicks in*
Pete Rock: whewwwww
:whew: That song is amazing breh

Koozek

Charlamagne just said on the Brilliant Idiots podcast that Dame's son will visit the BFC very soon #greatnessawaits

Oh nice, should be good :D
Btw, I only recently found Brilliant Idiots and it's now on my weekly podcast list next to Bill Burr's MMP and some German ones.

IrishNinja

That Marcus D record is definitely my AOTY so far. Stupid early to even say such things, but that shit owns my life right now.

feelin this post

GKMC/TPaB is the new illmatic/IWW.

not sure about this one but i like the doors it's opening

anything to move away from tired nas discussions is a plus

let's rank nause albums bruhs
including lost tapes tho

Do we want the funk though? DO WE?

THE WHOLE FUNK
NUTTIN BUT THE FUNK

what's good my negus

the 2015 YA BISH has arrived

*runs this back 30 times*

phew, yeah
no chance for a vinyl here yeah? i dont recall one on night's gambit

BlackJace

My barber says he doesn't fuck with TPAB so far. Says it's too slow for him, which...is somewhat understandable, but the man said himself that the next project would be a different departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom