• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Skinpop

so i got to play for an hour or so

- "E" key interaction is laggy/buggy ranging from a 2-3 to upwards 30 seconds delay.
- Can't change hotkeys in game so since my mouse doesn't have a fourth button I couldn't change camera view.
- Graphics are atrocious. I didn't expect it to be polished but this looks like a turd.
- still worried about pay2win
- extremely buggy to the point of almost being unplayable
- i'm not upset(yet), I willingly bough an ea so wouldn't be any point to getting angry anyway.

IMACOMPUTA

Ok? You're failing to articulate why that's a problem.
I think he's saying that this means everyone on PvP servers will KOS, because those that wouldn't kill on sight will be in the PVE servers. It might create extremes, with no middle ground.
I don't think he's right, as there are many people like him that want a little of both. I probably will never touch PVE, and I don't usually KOS.

Jams775

Maybe he's trying to say that it'll only be kill on sight on PvP servers that way and that if you force PvE'ers there that they'll bring their mindset on that server, balancing the 'mindset'?

But I'd imagine that if you force people (like me) who don't really want to worry about KoS to join a PvP server, I would have to start playing like the other players on PvP which means I would also turn into someone that kills on sight. So it doesn't really change much on the PvP server. Other than PvE'ers straight up dropping out after they get tired of not being able to play how they want.

opie211

Is there an official Neogaf Server yet? I've looked a few pages back and I don't see a mention of one yet. Maybe I missed it.

I have no clue what I'm doing yet. Feels like the first day or rust again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there an official Neogaf Server yet? I've looked a few pages back and I don't see a mention of one yet. Maybe I missed it.

I have no clue what I'm doing yet. Feels like the first day or rust again.
Post #2 says the pvp server is Solace.

How many of you guys are on it?

Let's all buy an air drop, gear eachother out, build a base together, store anything extra, and domiate the server.

That's not pay to win right? right?

PaNaMa

Banned
Played about one hour and half.
Brief impressions: huge M-E-H.

Same. Wish I had my $20 back. Not to say it's not gonna be worth playing some day.
But that day isn't today.

We were warned. I don't feel duped or anything. I wish them the best of luck with it, and I'll check back in a few months. I just shouldn't have let my hopes for this game and love of similar games loosen my wallet so easily.

DogMeat77

Sounds about right for these zombie survival games so far.

Played for an hour and only found a stick

Same. Wish I had my $20 back. Not to say it's not gonna be worth playing some day.
But that day isn't today.

We were warned. I don't feel duped or anything. I wish them the best of luck with it, and I'll check back in a few months. I just shouldn't have let my hopes for this game and love of similar games loosen my wallet so easily.

We had a decent group and had a shit load of fun all night. Have a base built. 2 working cars. Some weapons. It is already in much better shape than DayZ. Still has some jank but very promising.

90% of the negative Steam reviews I've seen are about the Airdrops
Game seems to perform decently(for an early access alpha build)

commedieu

Banned
We had a decent group and had a shit load of fun all night. Have a base built. 2 working cars. Some weapons. It is already in much better shape than DayZ. Still has some jank but very promising.

I swore i wouldn't buy early access again, but, it sounds like its in Better shape. My problem with dayz is the lack of anything to do, around the jank. Collecting things for 3 hours only to be shot by a random hacker miles away that teleports in front of you is annoying.

is the verdict that its at least better than dayz, as it stands?

DogMeat77

I swore i wouldn't buy early access again, but, it sounds like its in Better shape. My problem with dayz is the lack of anything to do, around the jank. Collecting things for 3 hours only to be shot by a random hacker miles away that teleports in front of you is annoying.

is the verdict that its at least better than dayz, as it stands?

that was our verdict and I was playing with a lot of DayZ/Arma gaf.

For day 1 it is in great shape imo. Does it have problems? Sure. Food and water is a bit extreme right now but berries are everywhere and help with that. Inventory system is miles ahead of DayZ. Crafting makes sense. It took a bit to get in to it but we kept finding new stuff from the crafting system.

Can someone please tell me what pixel quality in the graphics options controls? Is that supposed to be aliasing or something? Please let me know!

Update details up on reddit!

Here

Here's what's on the immediate horizon
Lag fix - we're well aware of many servers seeing heavy lag. We have a fix incoming this am.
Hitting the play button to a server and nothing happens or you don't get in - this is directly related to #1
G29 / G99 errors - we know what the root cause of this is (we're getting information from Steam too slowly in a lot of cases)- this will be fixed.
Very little loot - already fixed and will go up with a hotfix asap.
Airdrops - many fixes including how close they drop to you, how wide a radius they drop in.. airplane speed.. and of course making guns way, way less common.
I know there are a ton of other issues but wanted to address the big ones right now. We'll need to bring the servers down later this morning or early afternoon to fix these things.
If you don't see your issue on this list it doesn't mean we aren't working on it.. it's just we're hitting the big problems first.
Thanks
Smed

Because neither playerbase is enjoyable. You either never have the option to PvP or can be killed at all times. The type of people to work with you and not kill you on sight will mostly be on PvE servers. That means the PvP servers won't be surviving a zombie apocalypse it'll just be KoS bs.

Looking at the streams there aren't enough zombies for them to be a serious threat anyway. I don't believe this will be the zombie survival game we've all been waiting for but I'll reserve judgment for a while.

BokehKing

Banned
downloading this now, I'm curious to see how it is, only $20, and I know its an alpha so I don't expect a finished game, but always wanted to play one of these 'zombie apocalypse' games.

I mean I played State of Decay on 360, but that was limited to single player

wait so that tweet, are they being sarcastic with the P2W comment?

Because neither playerbase is enjoyable. You either never have the option to PvP or can be killed at all times. The type of people to work with you and not kill you on sight will mostly be on PvE servers. That means the PvP servers won't be surviving a zombie apocalypse it'll just be KoS bs.

Looking at the streams there aren't enough zombies for them to be a serious threat anyway. I don't believe this will be the zombie survival game we've all been waiting for but I'll reserve judgment for a while.

I think the KoS BS is common across all zombie games
It just happens

Lev

The airdrops are supposed to be a server wide event, not just for you and your friends.

*edit* doublepost, sorry.

You're correct. Good thing these drops don't cost that much, because typically I expect to get good things when I pay for microtransactions.

Any good PVE streams yet?

Jams775

I think the KoS BS is common across all zombie games
It just happens

It happens with all PvP focused games including MMORPG's. I think the problem is most people find it more fun to ruin other people's good time than it is to play the game. That's why I believe it isn't possible to make a "realistic" world in the sense of free to kill anyone. There's never enough consequences to keep people from just going on killing sprees. Hell it's hard enough to keep people from going on killing sprees in the real world. That's why you have to find ways to force cooperation. Whether that be contested zones or flags, etc.

Surely there is a way to come to a nice compromise...

What if (on a PVP server)... if you kill another player, your name tag is red and it stays red the entire time you are logged in (maybe a 24 hour timer). That way other players will know that you are a threat. Even if someobdy attacks you first and you kill in self defense.. you are still a killer and therfore tagged/ labeled.

This gives the player that is a nonthreat a heads up to know you are hostile. It does not stop you from being killed, but it will cut down on some/ a lot of the kill on sight. Don't approach red, and if you do its a risk you take.

I don't know why they would make drops P2W... seriously, just do random drops in different places at different intervals. There, randomness.

I don't know why they would make drops P2W... seriously, just do random drops in different places at different intervals. There, randomness.

I think the idea is that if they do free to play, then they have to make money someway and this is the best choice. Otherwise it does become a pay to win game. There has to be some sort of loss or chance of loss so that it isnt pay to win.

My thing is.. will it every really be pay to win? I mean you could pay hundreds of dollars on drops and have all the guns in the world and all the food you need, but all it takes is a zombie or a bullet or a vehicle running over you to lose what you have.
Also... dumb question but if a zombie kills you can you go and loot your corpse (like in zombiU) or could somebody else happen to wander across your zombie killed corpse and get your loot?

I think the idea is that if they do free to play, then they have to make money someway and this is the best choice. Otherwise it does become a pay to win game. There has to be some sort of loss or chance of loss so that it isnt pay to win.

My thing is.. will it every really be pay to win? I mean you could pay hundreds of dollars on drops and have all the guns in the world and all the food you need, but all it takes is a zombie or a bullet or a vehicle running over you to lose what you have.
Also... dumb question but if a zombie kills you can you go and loot your corpse (like in zombiU) or could somebody else happen to wander across your zombie killed corpse and get your loot?

Just do cosmetics? I mean shit, this game is being paid for already and they want P2W crap thrown in...

JesseZao

Surely there is a way to come to a nice compromise...

What if (on a PVP server)... if you kill another player, your name tag is red and it stays red the entire time you are logged in (maybe a 24 hour timer). That way other players will know that you are a threat. Even if someobdy attacks you first and you kill in self defense.. you are still a killer and therfore tagged/ labeled.

This gives the player that is a nonthreat a heads up to know you are hostile. It does not stop you from being killed, but it will cut down on some/ a lot of the kill on sight. Don't approach red, and if you do its a risk you take.

I think a bounty system would be sweet. Players could tag somebody they were killed by and post it in a city bulletin board or something. Then, other players could inspect the board and know who to look out for.

Rewards could be put up by players or just keep track of it with achievements. If you kill a bounty, you aren't considered hostile and can't be a target of a new bounty because of it. Rach server could track the most notorious pkers and the most decorated bounty hunters. Could develop an interesting dynamic with clans.

Rafterman

Banned
They could just take guns out of airdrops and make everyone happy. People will still buy cosmetic stuff

Everyone? You sure about that? I think the vast majority of people don't give two shits about guns in airdrops. In fact, the way they are supposed to be, contested and not guaranteed, will make for some great emergent gameplay.

This whole P2W nonsense just confirms that the most vocal among gamers, by and large, are a special kind of stupid. Game comes out in Alpha, day 1, and instead of the dozens and dozens of legitimate issues with the game this herd of mouth breathers starts their P2W bitch fest. When I see more a lot more than 30 people asking for refunds, I'll start believing it's a real issue and not the kind of asshat outrage that gamers are known for these days.

Just do cosmetics? I mean shit, this game is being paid for already and they want P2W crap thrown in...

Thrue... good point. I guess there are tons of ways to make money off of a game.Not sure if the game has this or plans on it, but it would be cool to have bullet proof vests that allow you to take more damage. That way its not one slip up and you are dead and lose everthing you have worked for. Or maybe you could buy a rez for like 1-2 bucks.

If they are going to keep the P2W crates, then keep it strictly to PVE. P2W in PVP is a fucking nightmare. I just wish it would go away in general.

Somnia

You CHOSE to buy it in early access, you didn't have to. This game is a Free 2 Play game with the option to pay to alpha test this game, period. They are very up front this is an early access alpha test and there will be changes, updates and issues going forward. You do not in any way have to join us, you can wait for it to officially launch as a free game.

If they are going to keep the P2W crates, then keep it strictly to PVE. P2W in PVP is a fucking nightmare. I just wish it would go away in general.

But if they fix things like zombie aggro, drop distance and lack of items such as guns in them... it may fix itself.
question 9as I have yet to play)... can you skin and eat animals you kill?

so are the keys to open the supply crates?

and what is the difference between a airdrop ticket and a regular ticket? Looking at the deluxe edtion.
also... event tickets? for what exactly?

Top Bottom