• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

antonz

Whole thing is so overblown. All you need to do is some exploring and get away from everyone else and you will have no trouble finding shit.

AR15 found inside house. In backyard was a simple box on the ground with a hunting rifle, ammo and a military backpack.

If you are running around where everyone else is you aren't going to find shit because the loot is being grabbed by others until a respawn.

RulkezX

Ok, I have maybe 3-4 hours played now..........

Where the fuck is all the loot ? I have found 1 item of food in all that time, nothing else at all.

The best part of all of this.

They said from Day 1 crates would not have guns, they don't and will not. They only have cosmetic items.

They announced in AUGUST there would be air drops that are highly contested and contain guns. We have known for 5 months this would happen and they've been very up front about it and have shown it on streams.

They in no way lied about this. With today's change though making it drop far away from you, come in really slow and have a low % of dropping guns should help with people hopefully.

Hopefully cause the game is actually pretty fun. Get rid of nameplates too.

Air drop thing does not really bother me, they will/are reducing the rate at which you can get guns from them. Also, maybe it should be Pay 2 Live Longer... you don't exactly win in this game.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
They are offering a NQA refund for those pissed at the airdrops, I dunno what more they can do.
Remove paid airdrops and make them random or make them cosmetic items only? Even Lirik agrees. They're really showing their greed over making a game everyone can be happy with. Telling people to piss off and not play is shitty.

damn people are really super serious about these airdrops - i have feeling sony is going to buckle and change it though seems like the number one topic of change people want and it's spreading like rain fire.

Buckle, in what way? All they have to do is change the loot table for air drops. It's a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned, considering it's so early in development.

kcxiv

Ok, I have maybe 3-4 hours played now..........

Where the fuck is all the loot ? I have found 1 item of food in all that time, nothing else at all.

its all being adjusted it seems. When i played, i found loot i was pretty suited up, but i couldnt find any bullets n got owned by 3 fellas with axes. well 2 actuall 1 was chating me, then 2 more came along killed the dude chasing me, then killed me. haha

Somnia

Remove paid airdrops and make them random or make them cosmetic items only? Even Lirik agrees. They're really showing their greed over making a game everyone can be happy with. Telling people to piss off and not play is shitty.

No air drops should stay as is with just lowered % chance of non-cosmetic. Which they are doing in today's patch, people need to remember this is Day 2 of an alpha.

Remember in the end this is a free to play game, they have to have ways to make money. People won't buy air drops just for cosmetic, they will pay for a small chance at a gun, even if its only a 10% chance.

As is pre-patch it's messed up, but with the changes the air drop will be far away from you, come on slower and lowered drop rate. Will make for some fun fire fights and events.

Jams775

Damn just when I'm ready to play they take the servers down.

Anyone know a way to change the graphics settings in the game directory? I need it to stop launching in 4k for me.

Thought this was pretty interesting with regards to the Airdrops.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorial/h1z1-airdrops-lets-gain-some-perspective

Good post. From Smed/reddit, in case anyone missed it:

1) You cannot call in airdrops until the servers are 1/4 full.
2) You can't call in airdrops without generating a ton of zombie heat.
3) the airdrops are random in what they deliver.
4) you are not guaranteed to get a single thing out of the airdrop you called in. You could die trying and you're out the money.
5) We fly the plane in very slowly and loudly.. we also stream green smoke from it you can see from very far away.

This is all I'm going to say on the subject. We've been straight about it. We've called attention to it publicly and it's something we've decided we want in the game. It makes it more fun. It can shake things up. Please don't judge based on knee jerk reactions. Try it. Or watch more streams with people doing it.

Now with all that being said - we're going to be making some big changes to them in the next day or so.

1) Dramatically widening the radius they come in - it's too small from what we're observing.
2) Making sure the chance for guns is a much lower chance so they are much more rare.
3) Upping the minimum number of people on a server to even allow air drops. It's set at 50 right now and we're going to at least double it. We are serious about these being server events and contested.
4) Making the plane fly even slower.

SDCowboy

WTF I got into a server and my guy is just running on his own and the game won't let me log or anything. lol

edit: I finally got my character to stop running on his own. haha

pvpness

Hmm. Gotten about 15 hours in, have searched every house and vehicle I've run across both in town and in the middle of nowhere and found one can of oranges. Also found a pistol in a house, but no ammo. They're adjusting the tables right? The air drops don't bother me at all, but playing for hours and making no progress has me wondering, "why?"

RulkezX

Hmm. Gotten about 15 hours in, have searched every house and vehicle I've run across both in town and in the middle of nowhere and found one can of oranges. Also found a pistol in a house, but no ammo. They're adjusting the tables right? The air drops don't bother me at all, but playing for hours and making no progress has me wondering, "why?"

Apparently so
Here's what's on the immediate horizon

Lag fix - we're well aware of many servers seeing heavy lag. We have a fix incoming this am.
Hitting the play button to a server and nothing happens or you don't get in - this is directly related to #1
G29 / G99 errors - we know what the root cause of this is (we're getting information from Steam too slowly in a lot of cases)- this will be fixed.
Very little loot - already fixed and will go up with a hotfix asap.
Airdrops - many fixes including how close they drop to you, how wide a radius they drop in.. airplane speed.. and of course making guns way, way less common.

I know there are a ton of other issues but wanted to address the big ones right now. We'll need to bring the servers down later this morning or early afternoon to fix these things.

If you don't see your issue on this list it doesn't mean we aren't working on it.. it's just we're hitting the big problems first.

Thanks

Smed

Amusingly he said they have only had 30 requests for refunds despite Reddit rage and that they are hoping to have an additional 200 EU servers up by Tuesday.

pvpness

Apparently so

Nice. I figured that would be the case. Glad to hear the lag is on their side. Wondered why my rig was struggling. Outside of getting basically no loot I really like the environment and navigating it. The zombies are very dangerous alone but more than three in a narrow area gets a bit hairy.

Hopefully that hotfix goes in this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up!

Buckle, in what way? All they have to do is change the loot table for air drops. It's a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned, considering it's so early in development.

Well from what smed said before to what he's saying now (I don't have a issue with it either way I know it'll be change to satisfy the masses)

RulkezX

Nice. I figured that would be the case. Glad to hear the lag is on their side. Wondered why my rig was struggling. Outside of getting basically no loot I really like the environment and navigating it. The zombies are very dangerous alone but more than three in a narrow area gets a bit hairy.

Hopefully that hotfix goes in this weekend.

The servers are going down any minute now , I'm kinda hoping the hotfix is coming then.

Does anyone know how big the map is ? I just seem to keep coming back to the same areas all the time and there are always loads of people there.

I hope they get the lag/loot sorted in this upcoming patch. My biggest complaint atm. I hate not being able to click anything and not find anything even on low/med servers

Etnos

Banned
I'd extend that to why are gamers so angry.

Free2play is a exploitative abusive business model, of all the pointless angry-ness there is in the gaming word, perhaps this one is justified.

Personally I fucking hate Pay2win crawling his way into big budget games, me sad panda.

The servers are going down any minute now , I'm kinda hoping the hotfix is coming then.

Does anyone know how big the map is ? I just seem to keep coming back to the same areas all the time and there are always loads of people there.

Well the map is smaller than dayz by a lot atm and it has more players (150-200 afaik) so that is why it's always crowded

Well from what smed said before to what he's saying now (I don't have a issue with it either way I know it'll be change to satisfy the masses)

I agree, backtracking on their prior decision is a bit crummy, but I don't mind their (intended) implementation.

Frankly, calling in an airdrop in a (minimum) 100 player server, where the plane is loud, slow, has a green smoke trail, AND attracts zombies, sounds terrifying, but also an interesting way of creating dynamic player encounters. I like the chopper crashes in DayZ, but they don't do much in the way of creating player contact. I'm glad H1Z1 is okay with being more "gamey" in that regard.

ZenVolta

Free2play is a exploitative abusive business model, of all the pointless angry-ness there is in the gaming word, perhaps this one is justified.

I fucking hate Pay2win crawling his way into big budget games, sad times.

Ye fuck this game. Dayz has no pay2win and its the only TRUE mmo survival game! SOE will keep making games like this.

Somnia

Map is roughly 64 miles vs. DayZ's 255. They will be expanding this world quite a bit and have plans to be much much larger than DayZ's when all is said and done. They also plan on uping the player count per server as the world grows. I assume they'll just merge servers when this happens if they have too many still.

Top Bottom