• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

I haven't been able to get in-game once since launch yesterday. Keep getting the same "there was an error completing your request" error after hitting play on the launcher.

Somnia

The best part of all of this.

They said from Day 1 crates would not have guns, they don't and will not. They only have cosmetic items.

They announced in AUGUST there would be air drops that are highly contested and contain guns. We have known for 5 months this would happen and they've been very up front about it and have shown it on streams.

They in no way lied about this. With today's change though making it drop far away from you, come in really slow and have a low % of dropping guns should help with people hopefully.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

They said from Day 1 crates would not have guns, they don't and will not. They only have cosmetic items.

They announced in AUGUST there would be air drops that are highly contested and contain guns. We have known for 5 months this would happen and they've been very up front about it and have shown it on streams.

They in no way lied about this. With today's change though making it drop far away from you, come in really slow and have a low % of dropping guns should help with people hopefully.

FYI I'm not saying this is P2W

but I called my crate and it had a .308 rifle in it, not sure how high the success rate of it is though.
I wish it had other items and not just 3

Bandages
.308 ammo
.308 rifle

Holy shit, y'all. Loot respawn rates/ratios/drop tables CAN be modified from now til final release. They can even update these values AFTER release! We have the technology!

Keep calm and submit feedback. That's what early access is for.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Your crate or air drop? Two different things. Crates should only have cosmetic items and unlocked with keys. If it had a gun then report the bug.

ahh my mistaken,my air drop had weapons
yeah my crate had only cosmetic items which I was totally cool with. That stuff you do not lose when you die iirc.

kcxiv

There was confusing, there will be no buy weapons that automatically appear in your inventory. The small chance at an air drop for weapons was always there, even when Smedley tested the air drop feature from his house monthys and months ago. SOmething that might not happen in the first place and you might not get it when 200 other people see it coming.

people are way way jumping the gun on it, but then again, i know people like to bitch just to bitch.

Lev

Watching Lirik right now. Apparently this game has that Battle Royale mod that ARMA3 has. It looks pretty similar in H1Z1.

Shady859

To people watching Battle Royale does everyone start with nothing?yes.. Just turned on Lirik and he doing donuts in a truck with like 100+ left alive the server said.
Just exploded

Haven't played sine like 8:30 EST when servers got wonky exactly like that guys silly youtube video above. I had fun this rage is out of control those. The #1 thing on Reddit when you click all is "Please do NOT get H1Z1 due to manipulative lies told by developers! "

EDIT: Battle Royale is FREE for a couple days they saying. He spawned in and died in a sky full of loot bags.

Hellers

So I just got about 30 minutes play in. Bearing in mind this is basically an alpha that barely works here's my impressions.

I like it (I basically like the idea of this sort of game anyway) but at the moment there's no real game there. It's a barely populated sandbox with very little sand. The game systems are only partially there. Rebinding keys isn't currently possible and for some reason the game doesn't let me actually attack anything (No response to the mouse buttons outside of menus). I strongly suspect their loot respawn code is non-functional at the moment. If you'd watched my stream you'd have seen me go from building to building and from car to car and find a grand total of 2 pieces of loot. In fact the only thing you can reliably find are blackberries which provide so little energy and hydration that they might as well not be there. I've been told that you can shift click to eat a stack which would at least make them bareable but that doesn't work for me.

So. First impressions on login. I scroll through the server list looking for a PvE server to play on. There's only a couple of EU servers and they're both PvP but they said they're bringing on more EU server soon. It doesn't matter anyway. I'll play on a US one. I quickly notice that approx 90% of the servers are PvP. Personally I think by launch that will have changed quite a lot. Sony are aiming at a mass market zombie survival game here and the mass market doesn't want to be the sheep. But that's for another time. I scan through the PvE servers and the only ones at less than HIGH pop are the "hardercore" server types. First person only, no recipe retaining. So I pick a regular PvE server and get thankfully only a 6 minute queue.

I spawn in. It's dark, foggy and raining. I'm in the middle of nowhere. I rapidly figure out that some of the default keybindings just don't work on my mouse but happily the one to change the camera has an alternative unlabeled one so I was able to get out of first person mode and into third. I couldn't tell if my HUD was off or on at first. Turns out the HUD is a single target dot. The rest of what you'd consider the HUD is bound to a different key. Right. Now we can explore. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere and I can't see shit (In almost every stream I watched today it rained a lot of the time) I just head off in a direction. It takes me about 15 minutes of running around to actually find something to examine that isn't a blackberry bush and about 5 minutes longer before I see my first zombie. However now that I've found a road signs of civilisation start becoming more obvious. I start to hunt around for supplies. I check cars, trucks, buildings, bins. I run a long way and even find the large town at the center of the landmass. By the time I call a halt I've found a grand total of a knife and a bottle of stagnant water. Given how much loot the people who were playing first thing this morning in streams were finding I'm pretty sure there's a bug in the loot respawn code. If this is intentional I'll eat the hat I couldn't find :)

Map wise it's big but small at the same time. I saw what I feel were too many players and yet the bulk of the map seems to be wide open spaces with trees and bushes and nothing else. The devs say most of the graphics are still placeholders and I believe them. There's an awful lot of indentikit building placement right down to identikit interiors (Even rubbish placement). There's an awful lot of work going to have to be put in before the map feels like a real place.

Update. Just saw Smed tweet that they hope to have an additional 200 Euro servers by Tuesday. That's pretty impressive.

As you'd expect there's a large number of bugs. Big and small. The biggest two seem to be the lack of loot and some extreme lag when trying to interact with items. The lag seems to be exactly the kind of database lag WoW was plagued with when Vanilla launched. I'm sure they'll get it sorted pretty quickly.

Overall? Promising. I'll be interested in following development but not terribly interested in doing much more until they have more of them game ready to bolt onto the shell they have in place already.

*Edit* Looks like Smed has already addressed my biggest issues. The lag fix is going on shortly and the loot issue also has a hotfix ready to go very soon too. I'll play more when it's been fixed and report back.

Verdict so far. Don't buy unless you're curious to watch it develop.

*Edit2* Also there's a massive lack of zombies and they're pretty ineffectual at the moment which is probably a relief since I can't actually fight back at the moment :)

One of the devs in the Lirik stream said there's only loot in gas stations, grocery stores and camping sites. Offices and other buildings don't have loot. Not sure if this is BR only.

Hellers

One of the devs in the Lirik stream said there's only loot in gas stations, grocery stores and camping sites. Offices and other buildings don't have loot. Not sure if this is BR only.

I found a combat knife sat on top of a upturned fridge in a small house and in the next identical (And I mean identical) house over a bottle of water on the fridge in there

Lev

Too bad Lirik doesn't know much about the game mechanics for H1Z1. He's getting pwned in this version of BR.

Also, I wonder if there is a map and prohibited zones. BR without either of these elements seems boring.

JNA

Banned
This is the top reddit post right now.

9CE4FpH.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is the top reddit post right now.

http://i.imgur.com/9CE4FpH.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[quote="Icyflamez96, post: 147781133"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9CE4FpH.jpg[IMG]

Edit: ok jna i see how it is[/QUOTE]

Page 9 guys

Wow, this whole thing really blew up on Reddit.
Nr. 1 on the front page right now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2sn2du/please_do_not_get_h1z1_due_to_manipulative_lies/

What a shame this keeps happening :( I was keeping an eye on this game for a while now but I can't in good conscious reward this type of stuff. I'm hoping we can get some sort of solution for this problem so the devs aren't punished for what are probably publisher decisions.

Edit: Beat me to it!

NH Apache

Banned
Wow, this whole thing really blew up on Reddit.
Nr. 1 on the front page right now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2sn2du/please_do_not_get_h1z1_due_to_manipulative_lies/

What a shame this keeps happening :( I was keeping an eye on this game for a while now but I can't in good conscious reward this type of stuff. I'm hoping we can get some sort of solution for this problem so the devs aren't punished for what are probably publisher decisions.

Edit: Beat me to it!

Top Bottom