• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

funkypie

Banned
I'm glad people are enjoying it but as it is going to be free to play with revenue options designed as air drops and such. It feels if one million buy this early access you are basically funding their game that is going to be free.

Somnia

I'm glad people are enjoying it but as it is going to be free to play with revenue options designed as air drops and such. It feels if one million buy this early access you are basically funding their game that is going to be free.

It's an option to play it early in alpha and help build the game, I see nothing wrong with having that at all for this type of game.

If you just want to wait till it's free that's fine, but having the option to play it early and watch it change/improve over time for $20 is a-ok with me.

Somnia

I know it's not. That was my point.

Gotcha, I mis-read your post.

it is, you can buy gear in a game which is all about earning your gear... how is not that pay2win?

Because you CAN'T buy gear. You buy an air drop which is a server event. Last night's stream in which he was racking up gear was admitted by Smed to be an issue and it is being fixed with this patch. The chance of getting "gear" is going to be much much lower.

You don't just click "pay $5" and get gear. You have to call it in, wait for it to fly in, watch it drop down along with the other 200 players on your server, fight through them and zombies. There is no gurantee of ever getting anything.

Basically you are purchasing an event for your server, that is it.

J-Rock

Banned
I got 3 guns and plenty of ammo in an airdrop that I bought. The only people that don't like this are poor people. I love this game.

Because you CAN'T buy gear. You buy an air drop which is a server event. Last night's stream in which he was racking up gear was admitted by Smed to be an issue and it is being fixed with this patch. The chance of getting "gear" is going to be much much lower.

You don't just click "pay $5" and get gear. You have to call it in, wait for it to fly in, watch it drop down along with the other 200 players on your server, fight through them and zombies. There is no gurantee of ever getting anything.

Basically you are purchasing an event for your server, that is it.

It reminds me of those gifts in Team Fortress 2 that will give a random weapon out to another or player. I think there's also one that gives out something to every person on the server you use it on.

But yeah, if it's the way you describe it then that isn't pay-to-win at all.

Ye fuck this game. Dayz has no pay2win and its the only TRUE mmo survival game! SOE will keep making games like this.

DayZ also performs almost as awfully as it did at launch last year and only recently added one shitty vehicle that has physics/collision worse than ArmA2. I have no confidence in that game or its engine.

And yeah, I've put a looooot of time into DayZ, but my group is gonna move over to H1Z1, barring any major issues.

If you can spend real mony in order to get weapons, it`s pay to win.
Thats not what pay to win is. Pay to win is me spending 5 quid to buy a weapon that gives ME a distinct advantage over all other players that haven't spent that money. H1Z1 does not include an option like this. It gives EVERYONE on the server a chance to get those items.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
it is, you can buy gear in a game which is all about earning your gear... how is not that pay2win?

If it's working correctly, it's not that easy to get guns/ammo. The airdrop is not supposed to occur right on top of the person that spawns it, the plane is loud and slow as fuck, zombies spawn (that are currently not working correctly), airdrops cannot be called if less than a certain number of people are on a server, etc. SOE is also lowering the chance to find guns and ammo, as they are way too common currently.

I have been in a couple airdrop events so far, and even though the zombies aren't a threat currently, there were at least 6 people waiting for the drop to happen, and it was just a killing fest both times I was around a drop.

I personally hope they remove the chance for guns/ammo, or at the very least make it so a gun and ammo cannot happen in one airdrop.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Thats not what pay to win is. Pay to win is me spending 5 quid to buy a weapon that gives ME a distinct advantage over all other players that haven't spent that money. H1Z1 does not include an option like this. It gives EVERYONE on the server a chance to get those items.

Then what should we call it? Pay 2 unfair balance?

This. While I don't think everyone has the SAME chance at getting the airdrop, the fact is that anyone can open it. They have already said that:

-They are widening the possible zone for the drop to place, since it's too close to the requesting player right now
-The plane will move slower and be louder
-The % chance of weapons being in the airdrop is being lowered
-They will change it so you can't call in an airdrop until at least 100 players (or more) are in the server

Etnos

Banned
You can't buy gear. You can buy the chance at getting gear that ever other person on the server has a chance at getting.

Because spending money in no way guarantees that you will "win"

I know how the system works, and I can't see how this is not going to turn into a unbalance mess with groups of players hoarding drops, specially now the drops have weapons in them.

Also being aware when a drop is coming is not an advantage at all... In a game where info is everything, that sounds balance and fair (as long as you paying right)

RulkezX

Then what should we call it? Pay 2 unfair balance?

Have you actually played the game and seen one in action , or are you basing your opinion from shit posting on social media and Reddit ?

This is closer to my experience than the ridiculous hypotheiticals I've read on here and on the /r/H1Z1 sub reddit

I think the people complaining about airdrops simply havn't played the game. There's really no reason for anyone who has played the game to hate airdrops. Lets look at the facts:

H1Z1 requires 100 people on a SMALLER MAP than DayZ to even initiate an airdrop (or it will very quickly so sayeth the CEO, currently it requires 50.) The cap on players in DayZ is 50. We already require 2x the amount of players on a server as DayZ is allowed just to air drop.

Characters do NOT transfers server to server. You can not just pull up a character from an unpopulated server then transfer them to a populated server. You want to get equipped on a 200+ man server? Then you're going to be fighting the 10+ people that see the plane and walk to the drop.

The plane is LOUD. It is VERY visible. And it stays in the air for a long time. People with cars use other player's airdrops as free loot dispensers, and people with rifles use it as a human deer hunt simulator.

Much like DayZ it's not hard to luck in to an AR15 and ammo. I don't know why we're all pretending that getting a gun is some badge of honor. I walked in to a police station after some moron aggro'd like every zombie and walked out with an AR15 + pistol + ammo. No money spent at all! So even if you DO get the military box that dropped it's probably a hell of a lot easier and safer to go in to a city and raid a police station, which we should all know by now is extremely dangerous.

It takes 10 seconds of time to unpack the military box dropped from the plane. You know who can kill you in 10 seconds? Literally anyone within a 3 mile radius that saw the plane and thought "oh boy, goodies!" You can not move during those 10 seconds. You can cancel it, but then you have to restart it.

I really truly and honestly do not understand why so many hate the concept. SoE is charging players to basically push an "excitement" button for a server. That's a good idea! It is NOT free loot, it is beyond dangerous, it attracts everybody even people without guns to the area. I've seen 3 friends call in an air drop and get completely murdered because 10 people with their fists showed up and beat them to death. Then those 10 people beat each other to death. Then I left with a shotgun with no ammo.

Seriously just TRY it before you say Pay2Win. It's not Pay2Win. It's Pay2Excite.

Had some trouble figuring out some stuff yesterday, my experience with survival/crafting games is like 6 hours into Starbound and like an hour into DayZ (Arma II). This is just some stuff I haven't been able to find after cursory glances at google/official website and this thread.

--How do I repair equipment?
--What is the precise instructions to boiling water?

Otherwise I'm pretty happy, found a .308 rifle (no ammo), and a .45 with 30 rounds, a big side pack and crafted some stuff including a satchel and basic provisions (I figured out how to cook meat at least!).

Compsiox

Banned
Reddit always picks the strangest things to meltdown over.

2615692-post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-bezm.gif

RulkezX

Reddit always picks the strangest things to meltdown over.

I really don't know why SOE picked Reddit as their offical mode of communication/forum for the game. The Knives have been out for weeks and it's been obvious for weeks that /r/H1Z1 was looking for something to lose their shit over.

Etnos

Banned
Have you actually played the game and seen one in action , or are you basing your opinion from shit posting on social media and Reddit ?

This is closer to my experience than the ridiculous hypotheiticals I've read on here and on the /r/H1Z1 sub reddit

What does reddit has to do with anything ? The complains are valid, you may not share them but there is no need to shut down the conversation with reddit derail nonsense...

I have around 800 hrs in dayz like games overall, you must have little to no experience in this games if you can't see how these drops break the balance of the game.

The most important asset you have in a dayz-like game is info, where are the players? were is the loot? were are the bases? when is a choper crashing? where do they crash? This games are all about decision making, good information is the best tool to take good decisions.

Well worry no more H1Z1 solves your problem with conveniently timed drops trigger by your paypal.

RulkezX

What does reddit has to do with anything ? The complains are valid, you may not share them but there is no need to shut down the conversation with reddit derail nonsense...

I have around 800 hrs in dayz like games overall, you must have little to no experience in this games if you can't see how these drops break the balance of the game.

The most important asset you have in a dayz-like game is info, where are the players? were is the loot? were are the bases? when is a choper crashing? where do they crash? This games are all about decision making, good information is the best tool to take good decisions.

Well worry no more H1Z1 solves your problem with conveniently timed drops trigger by your paypal.

So the answer was a passive aggressive no ?

I thought the fuss is all about the developers saying "you will not be able to buy guns" and now you can.. Sure you might not get it, but it sure is money for guns.

Once that line is crossed, Who knows what happens, they can do what ever they want anything they say liable to change.

I don't know if this is pay to win, because I have no experience how the servers are or will be. Can you for example do it on a low population server etc. But I do know that this is definetly a borderline case. We can't tell which way they'll change it and will they introduce more "realiable" drops for those who pay more.

Between the options "not p2w" and "p2w" this all, with developer doing opposite than promised and "sony-you-need-to-use-our-memorycards" production, feels definetly leaning more towards "p2w" no matter what the current situation of the implementation is..

We had this same thing with MWO and internet rage seemed to get through to developers so there is hope.

I wish you luck, people who have invested in this!

I thought the fuss is all about the developers saying "you will not be able to buy guns" and now you can.. Sure you might not get it, but it sure is money for guns.

Once that line is crossed, Who knows what happens, they can do what ever they want anything they say liable to change.

I don't know if this is pay to win, because I have no experience how the servers are or will be. Can you for example do it on a low population server etc. But I do know that this is definetly a borderline case. We can't tell which way they'll change it and will they introduce more "realiable" drops for those who pay more.

Between the options "not p2w" and "p2w" this all, with developer doing opposite than promised and "sony-you-need-to-use-our-memorycards" production, feels definetly leaning more towards "p2w" no matter what the current situation of the implementation is..

We had this same thing with MWO and internet rage seemed to get through to developers so there is hope.

You can't do it on a low populated server and you can't transfer characters between servers. It says that on this very page some reading would help you. The developer is not doing the opposite of what they promised this has been known about since August. You still cannot buy guns.

Mudcrab

I really don't know why SOE picked Reddit as their offical mode of communication/forum for the game. The Knives have been out for weeks and it's been obvious for weeks that /r/H1Z1 was looking for something to lose their shit over.

Because usually reddit is where the most eyes are. Many devs/pubs have an official presence on their game's subreddit like Starbound or DayZ and many others. If bad press happens it'll likely be on reddit hence that's where you should focus damage control.

Etnos

Banned
So the answer was a passive aggressive no ?

I'm not being neither passive, nor aggressive.. actually I'm not even mad in real life, more like sort of bored at work, came here to say my informed opinion about this game, because its a genre I play LOTS.

Anyhow, do you actually want to have a conversation that includes arguments or you just gonna keep shutting down people based on what reddit does?

I've play the game, and I've been watching plenty of streams.

RulkezX

I'm not being neither passive, nor aggressive.. actually I'm not even mad in real life, more like sort of bored at work, came here to say my informed opinion about this game, because its a genre I play LOTS.

Anyhow, do you actually want to have a conversation that includes arguments or you just gonna keep shutting down people based on what reddit does?

I'll be happy to have a conversation with you when your experience is with H1Z1 and not DayZ.

But you haven't played it? Correct?

Funny, that game wasn't even on fucking sale during the winter sales...

They have not put it on sale cause they don't want to fuck people over for buying in early access, also for the longest time they haven't wanted people purchasing the game as it was so early. They warn people about all the early access.

An early access game that has been out for literally 24 hours.

I can understand the fuss over a full game with this. But an early access game? Fucking nerds, man. Submit your feedback, read the dev's plans for changing it, and play the game. Otherwise, get your refund now while you can.

Etnos

Banned
But you haven't played it? Correct?

yes I have, and I don't think is good... I said my REASONS, is not even a tantrum, like whatever good for people who enjoy it.

for being so superior to reddit some of you guys have a hard time discussing ideas instead of trying to disqualify whoever doesn't agree with you. Again arguments:

- Shooting sort of sucks, its alright if it were and arcade shooter... I don't think the shooting in this game fits the genre, make the combat less tense, flattens the skill gap.

- The game does nothing to fix SOS, the main issue with this game... seems like they spend more time thinking about how to implement their free to play stuff than actually put an innovative system to encourage player interaction

- Again, Info is the single most important thing you have in a dayz like game. The fact you pay for timed drops... 1st breaks immersion, 2nd It will break the balance of the game.. give it time this is the sort of stuff players will find a way to exploit.

- The visual style is to cartoonish for my taste, your "suvirvor" looks like a surfer and stands like a fashion model...

As I said I'm not even mad, free2play sucks in my book but whatever if people enjoy it I suppose I'm in the minority here, I'm not even asking for a refund, I don't mind the money, I value more my free time at this point.

jpax

If you can buy anything with a stat which gives you an advantage it is p2w. It does not matter if it is available in game or determined by luck. People with more money get more things, it is that simple.
The line for p2w however is a grey area. I do not know how much it influences the game. But if I have learned one thing from devs/pubs if they can milk you, they will. And if crates dropping from the sky can make them money, the way to direct pay is there.

The DayZ map is 255km and has a max of 50 players. And that's not getting into the horrible ass performance the server bogs down under with 50 players, so many servers cap around 30-40 players.

H1Z1 map is currently 64k and has a max of 100 players. Currently, 50 players have to be on the server in order for airdrops to even be an options, and that's discounting all of the ways they plan on nerfing it/making it easier for everyone to reach, AND they are reducing the chance of weapons dropping.

If you can buy anything with a stat which gives you an advantage it is p2w. It does not matter if it is available in game or determined by luck. People with more money get more things, it is that simple.
The line for p2w however is a grey area. I do not know how much it influences the game. But if I have learned one thing from devs/pubs if they can milk you, they will. And if crates dropping from the sky can make them money, the way to direct pay is there.

Again, you're making it sound like a paypal exchange where you pay and then you go to your mailbox in-game and pick out your gun.

It is pretty obvious they want airdrops to be sources of conflict and player encounters. They are making changes specifically to increase the likelihood that a lot of players will converge on the airdrops.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I agree, backtracking on their prior decision is a bit crummy, but I don't mind their (intended) implementation.

Frankly, calling in an airdrop in a (minimum) 100 player server, where the plane is loud, slow, has a green smoke trail, AND attracts zombies, sounds terrifying, but also an interesting way of creating dynamic player encounters. I like the chopper crashes in DayZ, but they don't do much in the way of creating player contact. I'm glad H1Z1 is okay with being more "gamey" in that regard.
It's backwards to me. This genre is content starved and we desperately need more things to do in the base game. Putting random events behind a paywall is not benefiting the community. It makes me imagine a team fortress where it's death match only unless someone pays to summon a payload/flag to do those encounters.

Did you actually play the game and use it? We had a gaffer tell us about how he stole an airdrop and kill the airdrop owner and several other people.

Airdrop can be pay2win. Airdrop can be pay2lose.

Gurrry

Wow so the game is going f2p once is released?

Now I probably wont buy this. I was looking forward for something new to play this weekend... but if its going f2p then I doubt Ill buy in now.

Top Bottom