• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'll probably get flamed for this, but man, this game is so much more fun in PVE servers, to me. I love being able to just focus on exploring and looting which is what I enjoy most about these kinds of games,

I agree, I played on a PVE server to get away from the cheaters, actually. It was nice to be able to explore and craft things without worrying about people for a bit.

SDCowboy

I gotta say right now, IMO, the hunger and hydration meter go down way too quickly. I shouldn't be starving and dehydrated in a half hour. Especially with there still being almost no loot anywhere.

Iadien

I gotta say right now, IMO, the hunger and hydration meter go down way too quickly. I shouldn't be starving and dehydrated in a half hour. Especially with there still being almost no loot anywhere.

Yep, lots of complaints about that. I'm sure SOE will adjust it, they will be changing a lot of things due to feedback.

Screens.
EA9DEFABD6DFF0D2985D7F43E21CF9EDC3D55C2A

9AC53C0BA72A6C1D10102765697526BFDCCDED45

crim

Banned
oxDWHSa.png

PvP-Solace
PvE-
Hardcore-

Can we have separate servers for the EU gafers?
When I try playing on the US server I usually get disconnected after 10min.
Thought it would probably have to wait to pick a server until Thursday seeing as most of the EU servers aren't up yet!

Can we have separate servers for the EU gafers?
When I try playing on the US server I usually get disconnected after 10min.
Thought it would probably have to wait to pick a server until Thursday seeing as most of the EU servers aren't up yet!

That disconnect may have been a bug. I am on US servers and plenty of Europeans playing just fine.

Overdoziz

Banned
Really they hope they're gonna work on the map beyond making it larger. Currently it looks very amateuristic. Not quite as bad at Rust's map, but nowhere near DayZ's quality. Especially the newer towns and areas in Chernarus look like they could be actual places (which they often are). H1Z1's map reminds me of community made ones in Arma. That's probably my biggest complaint so far along with the fact that there's very little clothing variety which makes it hard to set yourself apart.

Jams775

Man I just played on a coop server and died of starvation. Couldn't find anything to save my life. I was searching a cabin desperately trying to find any scraps of food but collapsed dead before I got the chance. The Zombies aren't a walk in the park either.

It was about on par with the 8 hours I spent hiding in DayZ. They really need to figure a way out to let players make a lot more stuff from nature if it's going to be this hard to find anything while searching. I never found an ounce of metal scraps despite all the cars I searched. They should add grindable rocks or something so I can make makeshift axes or hammers with that you can use in place of the scrap metal ones.

Overdoziz

Banned
Man I just played on a coop server and died of starvation. Couldn't find anything to save my life. I was searching a cabin desperately trying to find any scraps of food but collapsed dead before I got the chance. The Zombies aren't a walk in the park either.

It was about on par with the 8 hours I spent hiding in DayZ. They really need to figure a way out to let players make a lot more stuff from nature if it's going to be this hard to find anything while searching. I never found an ounce of metal scraps despite all the cars I searched. They should add grindable rocks or something so I can make makeshift axes or hammers with that you can use in place of the scrap metal ones.
Blackberry bushes are everywhere. Give you +2 hydration and energy. It's almost impossible to die of starvation or dehydration once you know this.

Iadien

Hit broken cars with a crowbar, they will drop scrap metal.

Jams775

Blackberry bushes are everywhere. Give you +2 hydration and energy. It's almost impossible to die of starvation or dehydration once you know this.

It was dark and raining and there were only bushes all around that gave sticks. Like everyone's been saying. I actually found and ate Smed's Mixed Vegetables only a couple mins before I died. That should have kept me alive for at least another day. SOE need to watch Survivorman or something to understand how long it actually takes to die of starvation.

Hit broken cars with a crowbar
That's the problem there. I searched a lot of places and only found a shirt, a hat, 2 empty bottles of water and Smed's Mixed Vegetables. Nothing as amazing as a crowbar.

Overdoziz

Banned
It was dark and raining and there were only bushes all around that gave sticks. Like everyone's been saying. I actually found and ate Smed's Mixed Vegetables only a couple mins before I died. That should have kept me alive for at least another day. SOE need to watch Survivorman or something to understand how long it actually takes to die of starvation.
Green bushes give sticks, yellow bushes give berries.

Iadien

That's the problem there. I searched a lot of places and only found a shirt, a hat, 2 empty bottles of water and Smed's Mixed Vegetables. Nothing as amazing as a crowbar.

Yeah, loot spawning is still messed up a bit on some servers it seems.

Carroway

I found out that if I keep to the edges of the map, I would occassionally find places that hadn't been looted.

It has become my go to method, staying away from big cities and keeping myself towards the lesser explored places.

Oh and one more thing, running the direct opposite direction of an incoming Airdrop, since alot of people will converge on that area, giving me more time to loot the places they left.

I will admit though, to have an enjoyable experience almost hinges upon finding a small stock of scrap metal or a crowbar. This is especially true if one would want to have any chance of making a small base of operations as it requires a significant amount of metal.

SDCowboy

Man they need to increase the items like mad right now. It's getting old going through entire towns and finding next to nothing.

Jams775

Green bushes give sticks, yellow bushes give berries.
Yeah, I'm aware. It just happened so fast. It also seemed like I'd have to find a significant amount of blackberries to not starve too. I had like 7 and it barely changed anything. Especially given the fact that in a matter of minutes you're going to be back where you were but now with 0 berries. They need to adjust food and hydration rates.

Yeah, loot spawning is still messed up a bit on some servers it seems.
Definitely true. I think it'd help if there were alternatives with nature made tools and weapons. If you can make a makeshift axe out of a stick and scrap metal then you should be able to make one out of a stick and a rock. Even if you need to sharpen the rock first. That would probably alleviate some of the issue. Especially when it comes to hunting for food.

SDCowboy

Yeah, I'm aware. It just happened so fast. It also seemed like I'd have to find a significant amount of blackberries to not starve too. I had like 7 and it barely changed anything. Especially given the fact that in a matter of minutes you're going to be back where you were but now with 0 berries. They need to adjust food and hydration rates.

Yeah the hunger/thirst in this game is complete fucked up right now. I'm spending more time picking berries than I am doing anything else. Any how does an entire bush only give one berry? lol

FrsDvl

Yeah the hunger/thirst in this game is complete fucked up right now. I'm spending more time picking berries than I am doing anything else. Any how does an entire bush only give one berry? lol

If you're lucky. I've gotten branches from them several times.

I found out that if I keep to the edges of the map, I would occassionally find places that hadn't been looted.

It has become my go to method, staying away from big cities and keeping myself towards the lesser explored places.

This is also what I've been experiencing too. The big town is really tense and fun to explore, but there really isn't anything in it for the most part.

SDCowboy

Cool,the OP should add No Hope as the PvE GAF server...? I will play mainly on PvE but might try a guy on Solace also,just for laughs.

No hope is what I'm on. It's amazing how much better the game is in PVE. Players actually going out of their way to help the others instead of KOS stupidity.

Jams775

Cool,the OP should add No Hope as the PvE GAF server...? I will play mainly on PvE but might try a guy on Solace also,just for laughs.

I kind of like the one I was playing on. I think it was Shadow? But it was first person, headshots only, Recipe Wipe, PvE.

SDCowboy

So is there any word on fixing the amount of gear and the hunger/thirst? As much as I'm liking the game, going into building after building to find nothing, while having to pick berries every couple minutes, is losing its fun.

MGHA

Is there anyway to join a day time server? Ever single one I join is pitch black outside. Not fun at all.

Somnia

So is there any word on fixing the amount of gear and the hunger/thirst? As much as I'm liking the game, going into building after building to find nothing, while having to pick berries every couple minutes, is losing its fun.

They already said the first 30 days will be used as bug fixing and tweaking stuff like that. Remember its a holiday weekend so I'm sure their priority was to get things running this weekend next week is when real stuff will start being fixed probably.

Landmark adjusted fast and that's one team working on two games, I'm confident they are listening and will make a lot of adjustments in the next 7-14 days.

fanboi

Banned
Can anyone answer these questions:

• Compared to DayZ, is it aiming towards the same audience?
  • Can you build persisten objects in the alpha or will it be later in live version?
  • What is the general consensus?

Thats just great.

I ginally get in but after a few mins the screen goes balck and its as if my PC is not connected to my monitor anymore. <_<

I have to restart the PC to get it working again.

Happened 3 times already. Anyone seen this happen before?

JesseZao

Cool, I'll be joining No Hope as well then. Gives me time to figure out a few things before I go back to pvp.

That's a nice coincidence. I made a character there when solace was down the first day. It reminded me of l4d no mercy.

Hunger/Thirst rate has to be lowered.

I really need to get the conponents to build a shed before calling airdrops. If I actually get something, I need a safe place to keep it. How vulnerable are the access code wooden sheds? I came accros one on a hill by a road yesterday.

Top Bottom