• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Carroway

Can anyone answer these questions:

• Compared to DayZ, is it aiming towards the same audience?
  • Can you build persisten objects in the alpha or will it be later in live version?
  • What is the general consensus?

To answer one of your questions:

Yes you can build persistent objects, such as storage crates, large structures, shacks etc.

Regarding the similarities to Dayz. It's probably gonna attract a similar audience, but they can also easily co-exist with one-another. I would probably say that this has more in common with Rust than Dayz.

If you're asking about consensus in regards to buying it, if you like this type of game then you should check it out, although know what you are getting into.

Shaky

Is loot supposed to be as hard to find in the game as it seems to be right now? I search pretty much everything and I've only found a handful of things. I die more often from starvation than I do from another player killing me lol.

RulkezX

Is loot supposed to be as hard to find in the game as it seems to be right now? I search pretty much everything and I've only found a handful of things. I die more often from starvation than I do from another player killing me lol.

The loot respawn times need work. It reasons loot when a server first comes up but turns into a barren wasteland after a few hours on a busy server.

I got on as soon as the servers came back up this morning (UK) and was finding stuff everywhere, but haven't found food, water or weapons in the last 2.5hrs

Somnia

I'm worried that these supply drops are going to kill this game.

They just adjusted them to be much more balanced... I'm also sure they'll be adjusted even further going forward. We're now on day 3 and a lot of the "anger" has seemed to calm down some.

Gurrry

Im officially into h1z1. Fuck it.

How does pvp work though? Is its all of pve just with the ability to kill other players? Do the things you collect in pve transfer over to a pvp server? Or do you have to make a new character for each server you join?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Lirik just went after someone's supply drop.

It was pretty damn hard to see in the rain. When lirik got there, the guy that called it was already there fucking with zombies. Lirik killed him and the only other guy that showed up with a bow and mowed down the zombies. The dude was salty as fuck. Lirik stayed there the whole green smoke duration as well sorting out loot.

Wallach

Im officially into h1z1. Fuck it.

How does pvp work though? Is its all of pve just with the ability to kill other players? Do the things you collect in pve transfer over to a pvp server? Or do you have to make a new character for each server you join?

Characters are per-server. It's essentially the same game I think except friendly fire is on globally. The game was designed around this server type, so I recommend starting there. You miss most of the social/psychological dynamic that makes these games interesting otherwise.

How do I switch to 3rd person?

Press T.

Lirik just went after someone's supply drop.

It was pretty damn hard to see in the rain. When lirik got there, the guy that called it was already there fucking with zombies. Lirik killed him and the only other guy that showed up with a bow and mowed down the zombies. The dude was salty as fuck. Lirik stayed there the whole green smoke duration as well sorting out loot.

i believe this was last night i was laughing hard lol this game has potential.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Characters are per-server. It's essentially the same game I think except friendly fire is on globally. The game was designed around this server type, so I recommend starting there. You miss most of the social/psychological dynamic that makes these games interesting otherwise.

Press T.

Cool, thanks.

Wallach

Really liking a lot of the little things you learn as you go.

I learned how to make videogame meth: anti-cold medicine, purified water, and sugar cooked over a fire. It's called Swizzle. I like it.

Biggest tip though is just to learn how to use your proximity loot. Fuck clicking on everything, just bring up the inventory and use the proximity thing on the left side to grab stuff in the area.

Hellers

They've got an interesting balance challenge with regard to item spawning. Especially on the PvP servers. Set it too high and there's no challenge. Set it too low (Like it's now far too low) and like people have found the servers become KoS borefests and you spend more time eating blackberries than having fun.

I got lucky on one of the PvP servers earlier. I spawned near a cabin site and found an axe very quickly. This let me get geared up much faster than normal. I was able to boil some water, craft some blackberry juice. Later I found a knife, more axes and plenty of food in houses. Later I got killed and essentially was not able to have anything near the same luck and despite having nothing of value got killed time and time again.

It's a tad difficult to get started at the moment in my opinion. Apart from the hunger/thirst thing being balanced badly you need a few things to really start enjoying the game. A bladed weapon for farming zombies for cloth, extra storage capacity and water bottles. The trick is finding a bladed weapon early on. If you don't find one you're going to struggle. If you do then things get a little easier. They definitely need to up the loot spawns some more. Especially given how many players they're crowding into a smallish map. I'd happily go wandering off the beaten track if I wasn't going to have to spend so much time farming blackberries just to stay alive.

I logged in just now and stood stock still and just entered my inventory. I stayed there maybe five seconds and came back out. Hydration and energy had dropped 2%. I'm amazed they haven't announced a tweak for that yet. Even if it's just short term while they decide what to do about item spawning.

I'm worried that these supply drops are going to kill this game.

I don't think so. Looking at what you get and seeing that after the initial "free" ones get used. There isn't 5 dollars worth of gear in those drops, and that's assuming you can secure that drop and manage to use the supplies and not just get shot buy another player.

Teknoman

So apparently TeknomanGAF is an invalid name, but TeknomanNeoGAF isnt. I guess I could just leave it Teknoman since thats the server we mostly play on anyway.

SDCowboy

Alright, I think I'm done with this game for a while until they significantly bump the loot and decrease the hunger/thirst. It's just not fun anymore going into town after town, and searching vehicle after vehicle and finding absolutely nothing. And in between the nothing, having to eat berries non stop. There's a good game here, but there is significant balance issues that need to be sorted out.

Alright, I think I'm done with this game for a while until they significantly bump the loot and decrease the hunger/thirst. It's just not fun anymore going into town after town, and searching vehicle after vehicle and finding absolutely nothing. And in between the nothing, having to eat berries non stop. There's a good game here, but there is significant balance issues that need to be sorted out.

After 2 hours this is the #1 reason why I won't be playing more of the game. Really boring going through an entire town and getting a handful of useless items.

Teknoman

Any way to change the controls in the settings menu? I click on them but they arent highlighted or anything. Trying to edit the change view key.

SDCowboy

After 2 hours this is the #1 reason why I won't be playing more of the game. Really boring going through an entire town and getting a handful of useless items.

At this point I wouldn't even mind some useless items. Something to make the searching more entertaining and rewarding. Instead it's just cupboards full of nothing. It's stupid.

Yup, this is why I've switched to playing battle royale in the mean time. At least that's fun! So creepy seeing the poison fog bank roll in across the landscape. Lovin it.

Somnia

Any way to change the controls in the settings menu? I click on them but they arent highlighted or anything. Trying to edit the change view key.

No they are putting this in soonish, but they plan on re-doing the controls is why they are holding off. You can go into your H1Z1 folder I believe and alter the buttons manually in a file.

SDCowboy

Yup, this is why I've switched to playing battle royale in the mean time. At least that's fun! So creepy seeing the poison fog bank roll in across the landscape. Lovin it.

I just don't get how they can be this far along and have thought the current loot rate was even close to acceptable. Nor do I get why it's taking so long to fix the issue. Loot is the very core of these types of games, and there is almost none anywhere, most of the time.

I completely forgot about that mode. All the Battle Royale servers are greyed out in the browser; I do have event tickets.

Maybe they're down currently but I found a few by scrolling down further in the list last night. Also I think it's free this weekend iirc.

I just don't get how they can be this far along and have thought the current loot rate was even close to acceptable. Nor do I get why it's taking so long to fix the issue. Loot is the very core of these types of games, and there is almost none anywhere, most of the time.

I think the issue is the lack of loot respawning, as others have said when servers first go up loot is plentiful but most of it gets cleared out pretty quickly. Maybe they haven't added respawn timers to it yet, or they're way too long? I dunno but something that needs fixing fast cause I was snoozers after wandering around for about an hour last night and not finding jack.

Hellers

Given that we're going to be in early access for quite a while what I think Sony should do right now. As in immediately is

1. Massively reduce the rate hydration and energy go down.
2. Push the loot spawn rate through the roof.

This will keep people playing at a time when they really need to attract a base of people willing to stick with them and also allow testing of all the systems currently in the game with relative ease. I found a player created shack earlier. It had a code on the door to get in. I don't have a clue what it'd take to build one of those but I can't spare the time from looting sod all and eating blackberries one at a time. The two changes will also make death on a PvP server in the short term far less punishing and also lower the amount of actually killing. Tense standoffs are one thing. Knowing that almost everyone you meet is going to kill you is far less interesting.

In the short term some specific changes I'd like to see

1. Require just sticks to make a bow. That would get people weaponed up right at the start without having to sacrifice some of their carrying capacity to do it. The current method is cheesy
2. Let zombies drop loot and also don't require you to carve them to steaks before you can get cloth.
3. Let you drink from water sources without needing a bottle
4. The game needs lots more zombies. If you hit a place with more than one building there should be zombies there and they should be more aggressive.
5. Maybe let you choose a starting "loadout" or give people slightly more equipment to start with. An axe and a empty water bottle would be a good balance. The axe would let you quickly build a bowdrill which if you make a bow and arrows provides a start to being self sufficient in the wilds
6. More animals. I want to hunt animals. There's hardly any of them.

Promising start though.

Hellers

It seems the obvious way to get lots of people really into playing and also test as much stuff as possible. If we're finding metal in almost every car we search for example we're going to start building bases. If we know we're not going to have to search long for a specific item or enough stuff to craft one we're going to try loads more.

At the moment whoever gets on the server when it first starts gets all the loot.

And then when they're ready to start experimenting to find the proper balance of things just do a character wipe.

kcxiv

i havent had problem with finding loot when i looked for it. Its fairly easy to get set up with a bow fast even if you dont have an axe. punching crates is the way to go!

They need to let you eat the berries at least at least 5 at a time. that one by one eating 20, is to time consuming.

The food and water thing is out of control, that needs to be adjusted no doubt about it. There needs to be zombies in buildings especially office/store buildings. Im thinking they will add more zombies as they get stuff more and more stable.

I don't have the game yet, have just been watching streams. My big worry about the game is that it's all pvp focused. I see lots of players killing eachother, there's airdrops to bring them together and get them to fight, there's even a mass deathmatch Battle Royal. I was hoping for a coop zombie game where you don't know who to trust, but this looks like a large scale deathmatch with a few zombies here and there.

This is why I've never played one of these survival games, they always look so focused on pvp that they forget to make a good zombie game.

Hellers

I don't have the game yet, have just been watching streams. My big worry about the game is that it's all pvp focused. I see lots of players killing eachother, there's airdrops to bring them together and get them to fight, there's even a mass deathmatch Battle Royal. I was hoping for a coop zombie game where you don't know who to trust, but this looks like a large scale deathmatch with a few zombies here and there.

This is why I've never played one of these survival games, they always look so focused on pvp that they forget to make a good zombie game.

There are pve servers too but what they need is more reason to co-operate and less reason to murder. The terrible lack of supplies isn't helping with that though

There are pve servers too but what they need is more reason to co-operate and less reason to murder. The terrible lack of supplies isn't helping with that though

It's the systems/resource balance that needs work then, because I don't want pve. Iw ant to have to worry about who I can trust, but there appears to be so little reason to cooperate in these games. I expected uneasy alliances and backstabbing, but I just see a lot of killing on sight. Maybe death needs to matter more, or maybe your stats lower if you spend too much time alone or something. (to simulate distress over being alone)

SDCowboy

i havent had problem with finding loot when i looked for it. Its fairly easy to get set up with a bow fast even if you dont have an axe. punching crates is the way to go!

They need to let you eat the berries at least at least 5 at a time. that one by one eating 20, is to time consuming.

The food and water thing is out of control, that needs to be adjusted no doubt about it. There needs to be zombies in buildings especially office/store buildings. Im thinking they will add more zombies as they get stuff more and more stable.

There needs to be a 'consume all' option for berries.

Top Bottom