• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

I didn't know BR requires 'event tickets' yet. How do you get event tickets?
I'm a bit concerned since BR looked like the most fun mode in streams.

JambiBum

Couple of things that I've seen questions about.

1. Loot spawns. They've stated a few times that they are going to push out a patch in the near future that should up the loot. Hopefully it isn't by too much and they find a good balance.

2. Battle Royale and event tickets. Right now BR isn't using event tickets so you don't have to worry about them to try it out. You do still earn them if you finish in the top third though. If a BR server is greyed out that means the server is full/in session and you have to wait until a server opens.

Karak

Is loot supposed to be as hard to find in the game as it seems to be right now? I search pretty much everything and I've only found a handful of things. I die more often from starvation than I do from another player killing me lol.

Brother after many hours I have never seen another person. I have seen my character die every single time from either dehydration or starvation:) However I find the combat hilarious and love gut punching zombies which has become my go to thing right now. Lots of stuff to tweak but alpha and all that.

Couple of things that I've seen questions about.

1. Loot spawns. They've stated a few times that they are going to push out a patch in the near future that should up the loot. Hopefully it isn't by too much and they find a good balance.

2. Battle Royale and event tickets. Right now BR isn't using event tickets so you don't have to worry about them to try it out. You do still earn them if you finish in the top third though. If a BR server is greyed out that means the server is full/in session and you have to wait until a server opens.

Boo, well they need a lot more then :) Granted, first weekend and all so it's to be expected.

Was also surprised by the event ticket system to play BR (in the future anyhow). Was assuming event tickets were used for things specific to H1Z1's base gameplay. Kinda bummed by that now. How much are event tickets btw?

JambiBum

Boo, well they need a lot more then :) Granted, first weekend and all so it's to be expected.

Was also surprised by the event ticket system to play BR (in the future anyhow). Was assuming event tickets were used for things specific to H1Z1's base gameplay. Kinda bummed by that now. How much are event tickets btw?

You get tickets from buying the game (I think 3) and can earn them back from placing in the top third. Tickets are only going to be used for things like Battle Royale and Capture the Flag specific servers. They don't want to make users have to use them to play normal servers. You can also earn tickets from just playing the game. I have no idea how much they are going to cost once they implement them.

Gurrry

Just had a fun little exchange on Solace server. But none of them were Gaffers... atleast I dont think...

I spawned, was met by 3 guys with bows and they let me team up.

We then saw an airdrop and ran for it, we got some loot.

Then a random guy showed up and hit us with a stick.. So we all chased after him and killed him.

Next thing you know, we lost one of our team mates in the battle. (proximity chat should be expanded a little).

Anyway, one of our remaining team members suggests we download Skype so that we dont lose each other again.

Well.. I guess one guy in our group didnt agree with that idea.... He shot him in the head with an arrow, killing him.

It was then up to me with only a stick and 23% health to avenge my fallen team mate.

I did him justice and killed him.

I now ride alone, with a bow and many arrows and berries, looking for the next town and possible next group to tag along with.

Awesome moment.

Quick suggestion though, I hope that there are random free airdrops that happen. It really does make things interesting, but if someone has to pay for them to spawn, thats whats lame. But I see no problem if they also have the airdrops happen randomly for free as well as letting people buy them. That seems completely reasonable and fair.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Can you actually see/hear the airplanes everywhere on the map? They are really hard to see on stream and they still drop close. In arma 3 battleroyale the planes fly a lot lower. The smoke after the drop doesn't appear to go high and I've only been seeing one/two other people coming to fight the callers.

Tobor

I like the game a lot. It's already better than DayZ IMO.

they really need to up the loot. It's dry as a desert on Solace. People everywhere I go and I have no weapons. I was able to juke a guy with a bow and arrow and kill him once, but the next guy I tried it on got me.

antonz

It will help a lot when they expand the map to include more towns and such. Right now people know Cranberry and try to camp it for loot. Heavy traveled areas are always going to be short on supplies.

The catch is the respawn of loot. It does need to be faster to enable roving travelers to find stuff as they rove the landscape. Problem is they need a way to also ensure someone who locks themselves in a building doesn't just get stuff spawning around them constantly.

Furio53

Can you actually see/hear the airplanes everywhere on the map? They are really hard to see on stream and they still drop close. In arma 3 battleroyale the planes fly a lot lower. The smoke after the drop doesn't appear to go high and I've only been seeing one/two other people coming to fight the callers.

I heard a couple last night. It took all of my effort not to run towards the sound lol

Gurrry

I like the game a lot. It's already better than DayZ IMO.

they really need to up the loot. It's dry as a desert on Solace. People everywhere I go and I have no weapons. I was able to juke a guy with a bow and arrow and kill him once, but the next guy I tried it on got me.

Does it only take 1 arrow to the head to kill?

Tobor

It will help a lot when they expand the map to include more towns and such. Right now people know Cranberry and try to camp it for loot. Heavy traveled areas are always going to be short on supplies.

The catch is the respawn of loot. It does need to be faster to enable roving travelers to find stuff as they rove the landscape. Problem is they need a way to also ensure someone who locks themselves in a building doesn't just get stuff spawning around them constantly.

How often does it respawn now? I can't find anything at all.

I believe you can, I've heard a few and tracked down one. The plane does seem to be a little too high, and especially when it's grey and foggy out (most of the time) it's a bit difficult to spot the plane/crate. Blinking lights are on the plane and the falling crate. I only was able to spot the smoke after I crested a mountain, so I think the smoke plume should definitely be higher. Also only encountered one other person at the site of the crate on a medium populated server.

Tobor

Does it only take 1 arrow to the head to kill?

I'm not sure, I've been killed by bows a couple of times and no one has ever killed me in one hit.

guns are non existent. I've played for four hours on Solace and not seen or heard anyone with a gun.

Hellers

Fine tuning is irrelevant at the moment. Crank up that spawn rate and get us doing something other than running around eating berries and getting ganked.

Enco

Watched some gameplay and the framerate already makes this better than DayZ.

Paying for crates is a load of nonsense though. Why would anyone pay for a temporary gun that someone might just steal from you?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I just don't get how they can be this far along and have thought the current loot rate was even close to acceptable. Nor do I get why it's taking so long to fix the issue. Loot is the very core of these types of games, and there is almost none anywhere, most of the time.
Live is always going to present different problems than internal builds, always remember that. We have thousands of people now interacting with the game, so it's going to react differently to what the devs had prepared for.

FrsDvl

Watched some gameplay and the framerate already makes this better than DayZ.

Paying for crates is a load of nonsense though. Why would anyone pay for a temporary gun that someone might just steal from you?

Why would you buy anything ever, you might get robbed!

It's a risk you have to be willing to take I guess.

Tobor

Also, I'm guessing it's a side effect of being on a high population server, but i almost never see Zombies. Just lots and lots of players.

Jobbs

Banned
Also, I'm guessing it's a side effect of being on a high population server, but i almost never see Zombies. Just lots and lots of players.

how big is the map really?

seems to be that if you see players constantly (more than zombies) the max player count should be lowered. seeing someone should be exciting.

btw, how threatening are zombies in this game?

how big is the map really?

seems to be that if you see players constantly (more than zombies) the max player count should be lowered. seeing someone should be exciting.

btw, how threatening are zombies in this game?

Not big enough imo, someone here mentioned it being quite smaller than Day Z's map, and I personally think that hurts the experience somewhat. I know it's not trying to be exactly like Day Z, but I've been bumping into people left and right, not even in towns just small clusters of cabins or warehouses. Kind of takes away from the whole survivor atmosphere for me, hopefully they'll expand the world as time goes on. I know they're planning on adding different biomes in the future too like desert regions.

Compsiox

Banned
Made it to the edge of the map. My screen started glitching and my health drained within 10 seconds. What the actual fuck?

antonz

The map size is just the starter map. They have stated it will be increased a lot. They wanted to avoid a situation where they started with too huge a map and would rather work from the angle of increasing in size to make the experience better. The limited size right now means everyone if flocking to the civilization points and leading to vast swathes of emptiness as far as stuff to get. Have started to see some people building up now. a little hut with some animal traps etc

Stuff we are working on right this second

1) Loot - more of it. 2) Hunger / Thirst - slower drain rate. 3) Server frame rates - still an issue and we're working hard on it. 4) G29 issue - our platform team thinks they have a fix for the rest of these incoming. 5) Numerous battle royale fixes (note we are not deducting tickets right now and won't tell we're happy with it).

Patch later in the day / Early evening (sorry for the bad patch times but we feel it's better to do it fast this first week at the expense of better patching times.. mostly because better patching times means late night and our developers are already pulling 18 hour days.).

Smed

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2srtqx/stuff_we_are_working_on_right_this_second/

They shouldn't massively reduce hydration and energy loss. Maybe by a bit, but the game should have this survival element be important so that it makes people really need food and water, so they would really push to kill each other.

Getting food and water is so easy, but they should make it so you eat a portion of the food, but it still restore the same energy and hydration. Drinking a whole bottle of water is not very realistic.

I also don't think loot drop is an issue. Streamers are getting tons of loot and survived for hours. The speed of looting is the issue. They should remove opening and closing of storage and lay out all of the loot so that it's visible and quicker to pick up. Without all those empty storage, it will feel less like there's no loot because you can go through a building's loot real fast.

Compsiox

Banned
They shouldn't massively reduce hydration and energy loss. Maybe by a bit, but the game should have this survival element be important so that it makes people really need food and water, so they would really push to kill each other.

Getting food and water is so easy, but they should make it so you eat a portion of the food, but it still restore the same energy and hydration. Drinking a whole bottle of water is not very realistic.

I also don't think loot drop is an issue. Streamers are getting tons of loot and survived for hours. The speed of looting is the issue. They should remove opening and closing of storage and lay out all of the loot so that it's visible and quicker to pick up. Without all those empty storage, it will feel less like there's no loot because you can go through a building's loot real fast.

How about they make it fun instead of super realistic?

I'd prefer this as well, though someone here pointed out you can just open your inventory when near a container and can see any loot in the vicinity instead of having to wait for that annoying searching wheel every time.

JambiBum

So with the air drop patch they pushed out in the middle of the night, here is what they changed.

H1Z1 Airdrop Events and drop percentages

65% chance to call in one of these airdrops

The Caveman

Bow 1x
Bundle of Arrows 2x
Torch 1x
Waist pack 1x
7 Zombies

The Welder

Wrench 1x
Hammer 1x
Metal Sheets 4x
Metal Pipes 2x
Weapon Repair Kit 1x
7 Zombies

The Medic

First Aid Kits 2x
Bandages 5x
Cloth 6x
Purified Water 2x
Saline 2x
7 Zombies

The Demolition Man

IED 2x
Lighter 1x
Landmine 1x
Flares 2x
Smoke Flare 2x
Ethonol 1x
7 Zombies

The Builder

Nails 20x
Furnace 1x
Logs 4x
Metal Bits 10x
Scrap Metal 10x
Wood Axe 1x
7 Zombies

The Farmer

Tamper 10x
Corn Seeds 10x
Wheat Seeds 10x
Fertilizer 10x
Purified Water 5x
7 Zombies

The Hiker

Motorcycle Helmet 1x
Military Backpack 1x
Goggles 1x
Binoculars 1x
Compass 1x
7 Zombies

12.5 % chance to call in one of these airdrops

Life of the Party

IED 5x
Swizzle 20x
Moonshine 15x
Flare 30x
7 Zombies

10.0% Chance to call in this airdrop

The Hobo

Shotgun 1x
Shells 12x
Moonshine 2x
Torch 1x
Twine 1x
Bear Sandwich 1x
7 Zombies

The Lone Wolf

Pistol 1x
Ammo.45 14x
Logs 2x
Wolf Sandwich 1x
Animal Trap 1x
Deer Bladder 2x
7 Zombies

Adding no hope as the pve server. If any euro players have any suggestions for euro pvp and pve servers let me know.

I'll be working on a Microtransaction FAQ for the op to clear up some more stuff.

If anyone else has any suggestion for the first and second post let me know.

SDCowboy

Just got done doing some exploring and they really need to add a ton more buildings in this game. There seems to be almost nothing once you venture off the main roads. I was running around deep in the woods, nothing. I was climbing around in the mountains, nothing. Almost everything seems to be off the side of the main roads on the bottom of the map leaving little in the way of exploration.

Just got done doing some exploring and they really need to add a ton more buildings in this game. There seems to be almost nothing once you venture off the main roads. I was running around deep in the woods, nothing. I was climbing around in the mountains, nothing. Almost everything seems to be off the side of the main roads on the bottom of the map leaving little in the way of exploration.

I'd kill to see a barn tucked away in the countryside, or some military outposts :(

So I was playijgnearlier. All I did was get lost in the woods. So I either died from starvation or fell from a cliff. Idk where or what I was suppose to look for lol.

How are you guys checking your fps in game?

So I was playijgnearlier. All I did was get lost in the woods. So I either died from starvation or fell from a cliff. Idk where or what I was suppose to look for lol.

Pick up and eat every berry bush you see. Shred your shirt and pick up some sticks to make a bow and arrow.

sackninja

So with the air drop patch they pushed out in the middle of the night, here is what they changed.

They also made these changes.

1) Make the plane move slowly (53% of current) This increases the ability for other players to react to the plane coming in.

2) Make the drop fall more slowly (80% of current) This increases the ability for other players to react to the plane coming in.

3) Less accurate maximum drop radius (was 250m now 700m, so with these settings it would drop up to 700m from the calling player)

4) New minimum distance of 250m for airdrops to appear from a player. This is a little less than ½ the player density of 700m distance with 120 players on a server. Therefore more players are likely to be near the airdrop when deployed.

5) Increase the minimum number of required players to 120 (a little higher after more discussion about player density being important to keeping airdrops contested)

This is encouraging, from smed:

In this thread we would like to ask for features you want us to add right away that you feel are super important.

This is going to be the start of an ongoing dialogue. your help is both needed and asked for. The more constructive and on-target these threads are the better for our community. So please keep that in mind. We're going to engage with the constructive people and threads.

I can sum it up by saying - this is YOUR community first and foremost. Decide how you want it to be.

Smed

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2sry2e/feature_thread/

Somnia

Probably already posted but:

John Smedley @j_smedley · 52m 52 minutes ago
loot spawning / respawns will be addressed with tonight's patch.

John Smedley @j_smedley · 53m 53 minutes ago
Hunger and Thirst will be dealt with in the next patch. We think it's too harsh too. Just trying not to overcompensate. We want it hard.

Top Bottom