• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Shady859

Made it to the farthest north of the map. Never see a animal or anything north of Romeros store in Pleasant Valley. You run out of berries and everything, see a couple yellow danger signs then the world is a grey dead end. Almost died but luckily I had this guys blueberry juice who didn't get his "caveman" airdrop crate.

I did find my first human build hut that requires a 4 digit key to open, that's pretty slick.

JambiBum

Something I just found out that I don't know if you guys know about, if you have an empty and it is raining you can fill the bottle with rain water.

Made it to the farthest north of the map. Never see a animal or anything north of Romeros store in Pleasant Valley. You run out of berries and everything, see a couple yellow danger signs then the world is a grey dead end. Almost died but luckily I had this guys blueberry juice who didn't get his "caveman" airdrop crate.

I did find my first human build hut that requires a 4 digit key to open, that's pretty slick.

Yeah I thought that key was a nice touch. Better than alway having your stuff torn down.

Also gonna repost smed's tweet about the update patch for a new page:
@jsmedley said:
game update coming later tonight. no ETA yet. could be half hour could be 3.

Shady859

Apparently you can share airdrops on PVE that last drop in my last post musta been bugged. 6 or 7 people showed up on someone's drop just now. I ended up getting a military backpack from it. 1 person at a time gets a shot at looting and of course it spawns mad zombies when it appears so people rush and die. This one had a lot better stuff than the last but I didn't risk my life to get it. Somehow managed the backpack :) right before my game just crashed.

JambiBum

Patch notes are up.

This game update will take place at 6:30pm PST and have an approximately 90 minute downtime.

• Changes to loot and item spawn/respawn

• Hunger and thirst vitals have been decelerated. You don't get hungry and Thirsty as fast now!

• Dew collectors and rabbit traps should function on live properly now

• Battle Royale: Some loot items we're blocked from being collected. This has been corrected.

• Battle Royale: Some messages were being spammed excessively. This has been corrected.

• Battle Royale: The contents of airdrops have been fixed and now have the appropriate BR style loot

• Battle Royale: Fixed an issue with the mysterious "crafting ingredient" bag appearing when a player dies

• Adjusted some foraging rules

• The houses in Lone Pine Development have had their placements corrected

• Fixed some areas where players were getting stuck (hardware store, shelves, etc)

Compsiox

Banned
Woooooowww. Did you even play the game, bro?

Did you not see that the day/night cycle is 3 hours? Do you not eat 3 meals a day?
Time is 8 times faster in the game.

136149063290.jpg

Furio53

Haven't done streaming on twitch before, so was doing a test run.

Here's my channel I think

Also, wooden spears are awesome. Throw that shit in someones stomach. haha

Some dude started following me, he seemed pretty cool until he crafted a bow. I'm pretty sure he tried drawing on me so I shot him...can't be too careful.

antonz

How do you do this? I tried but i can only make dirty water and drink it....

That's all it will do. have to purify it with a fire if you want maximum hydration. Today was a lot more brutal than yesterday. I think people getting used to loot areas. I was swimming in supplies yesterday and today its been a struggle just to stay alive.

Hoping loot fix helps.

Some dude started following me, he seemed pretty cool until he crafted a bow. I'm pretty sure he tried drawing on me so I shot him...can't be too careful.
Some people...just aren't bright. I always have s gun out but I won't shoot until provoked. I say hey friendly they pull out a gun and...dead.

wrongway

So here's my luck. I'd been running and running, only really looting the berries that are everywhere. Everyone's probably familiar with this. Then I had my Captain Obvious moment and learned I could shred my shirt to easily make a bow (when the shirt isn't bugged and unshreddable). Great. Along the way I killed a zombie who was carrying a backpack and an axe! Immediately after that a couple other people made a run at me and I dropped them with back to back headshots. Awesome. Spare bow, more arrows, more cloth. Then I realized my food/water meters were getting low so I set out for berries.

Except I couldn't find any. Anywhere. I started at 34 food/water, and ran, and ran, and ran. Normally I see berry bushes every ten feet but get no loot. Now I have loot and there are no berries for miles. I finally stumbled into town right as my meters bottomed out. I happened upon a lone survivor who I gave my loot-filled pack to, and wished him luck with my dying breath.

Also, fists are pretty good. Killed some axe and machete users with good old fashioned fisticuffs. :O

So here's my luck. I'd been running and running, only really looting the berries that are everywhere. Everyone's probably familiar with this. Then I had my Captain Obvious moment and learned I could shred my shirt to easily make a bow (when the shirt isn't bugged and unshreddable). Great. Along the way I killed a zombie who was carrying a backpack and an axe! Immediately after that a couple other people made a run at me and I dropped them with back to back headshots. Awesome. Spare bow, more arrows, more cloth. Then I realized my food/water meters were getting low so I set out for berries.

Except I couldn't find any. Anywhere. I started at 34 food/water, and ran, and ran, and ran. Normally I see berry bushes every ten feet but get no loot. Now I have loot and there are no berries for miles. I finally stumbled into town right as my meters bottomed out. I happened upon a lone survivor who I gave my loot-filled pack to, and wished him luck with my dying breath.

Also, fists are pretty good. Killed some axe and machete users with good old fashioned fisticuffs. :O

Yeah. I didn't know about the shirt so I just fit everyone. Lol you can see how to lunch and not get hurt.

Shady859

Shady they don't appear out of thin air. The zombies are a part of the air drops.

That makes sense. Would be nice to have higher intelligence or enraged zombies come outta the crates. Risk versus reward for the loot because you've already called people to you and now you get the zombies to fight as well.

LOL @ that video.

8x8 map size, the same as a planetside continent.

Having Cherno map size is ridiculous though. All people do is suicide to get better spawn near Elektro or run for half an hour.

Furio53

8x8 map size, the same as a planetside continent.

Having Cherno map size is ridiculous though. All people do is suicide to get better spawn near Elektro or run for half an hour.

DayZ was 50 people per server though. While I tend to agree it was too much running, prob too big for Dayz, it was also kinda nice and big and open. Daunting at first, but once you knew the areas it was alright.

H1Z1 is 200 people... so I'd think a similar size would be better. Prob a bit smaller, but the spread out clusters of buildings/towns and availability for areas for players to build stuff in DayZ would be ideal for this game

JambiBum

That makes sense. Would be nice to have higher intelligence or enraged zombies come outta the crates. Risk versus reward for the loot because you've already called people to you and now you get the zombies to fight as well.

LOL @ that video.

For the first day the zombies in the crates were actually more agressive. At some point they basically stopped reacting when they spawned. They are fixing that issue with this patch though.

Also I wish I had a video of what happened to me earlier. I had been looking for a hatchet forever so that I could make my own food and what not. Anyone that I saw that had a hatchet I would try to kill. Well I found a guy with a hatchet and decided to kill him but I only had a few arrows. I shoot him once and he turns to run at me. While he is running I see that he has two more friends with him as well. I manage to kill him but his friends start trying to shoot me with arrows. I only have two arrows left. I miss the first shot on a guy but manage to hit him in the head with the second to kill him. The other guy runs to try to get closer to me but since I had no arrows I had to turn and run away. I run behind a tree and manage to get some sticks to craft more arrows. At this point I have like 23% health left. I run back up to where the fight happened and we start shooting at each other around a truck. I miss the first few and he hits me so it brings me down to 12%. I fire an arrow knowing that if I miss I will probably die. I manage to hit him square in the head. I start dancing on their corpses while I loot them. They had a lot of really good supplies so I got pretty lucky.

While looting them a bunch of zombies show up so I have to stop and kill them. By the time I manage to kill the zombies and loot two of the bodies 3 more people show up. I have barely any health left so I just forget about the last body and run away. Thankfully they got distracted by the other zombies and loot so I managed to get away. Was a pretty great moment for me.

DayZ was 50 people per server though. While I tend to agree it was too much running, prob too big for Dayz, it was also kinda nice and big and open. Daunting at first, but once you knew the areas it was alright.

H1Z1 is 200 people... so I'd think a similar size would be better. Prob a bit smaller, but the spread out clusters of buildings/towns and availability for areas for players to build stuff in DayZ would be ideal for this game
The plan.
I've seen a bunch of people asking questions about the map size. Forgelight is built to handle arbitrarily sized worlds. Our plan is simple -- we're building the core of "anywhere USA". When we first open it up to users the map will be huge, but nowhere near as big as it's going to be in short order. Our map editing system allows us to quickly add massive areas. We want to make sure we clearly understand how the players are playing the game before we do that. On PlanetSide 2 we made a mistake by making multiple continents before we had a strong enough idea of what worked and what didn't. This game is different. We're doing it smarter.

When we open up the early access there will be a massive map for players to enjoy. Over time (very quickly) they'll magically just be able to keep going further than they've gone before. It's a very unique way of doing it, but we actually think this is a better way to go.

So not to worry. Zombie Apocalypse isn't going to be any fun if it's like Disneyland on Spring Break and super-crowded. We want remote... haunting... being scared when you see someone. Your first instinct needs to be to hide. If there are 20 players in your view it's not a very convincing Apocalypse.

So how many players per server? Who knows. As we add more land the number of people we can hold on a server goes way up. So we're excited. We have a ton of zombies for you to fight too. You'll be seeing hordes, oh yes you will.

maybe im a minority in this but why not NPC soldiers that have hidden bases that fluxiate around on the map, perhaps they will give you some food or clothes but keep it highly minimal because they need some of that stuff for themselves....they also won't always be there so the camp possibly could have left overs..it would be like DayZ airfield except it would be a unique event that is never announced...and more special then the boring air drops....will they be hostile or nice it's the chance you have to take or you'll get f'ed.

(they should add this anyways for the PVE guys to make it more interesting for them)

Daezuel

Was watching my friend stream this last night. He and a car load of friends saw an air drop so they decided to drive by it and run down everything in sight.

They could have easily gotten out of the car and killed everyone and everything but what actually happened was far funnier.

http://www.twitch.tv/styrth/c/5899359

For those of you playing PVE, how has the experience been? Do you seem to team up with strangers and help each other out or is it mostly a solitary experience? Is there any way for other players to still kill you, such as running you over or anything else?

Top Bottom