• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Tobor

I did not know of this, pretty cool, but still why not a storyline explaining why and how that happened, borrow some ideas from MMorpgs and explore. Having players just run around randomly killing eachother isnt a good idea IMO.

Though these airdrops kind of remind me of Hunger Games and thats pretty cool.

I'm not worried at all. It's super early and they are focused on the core gameplay, and yet already have a quest system in place that they can expand on. Relax and give them some time.

Looking at the minimum requirements on steam my pc is only just below what they say, don't want to risk £15 to find it doesn't work, did that last year with one of those racing simulators I really wanted not knowing you needed DX11 which the page never mentioned.

Steam says i3 with hyper threading but I have a core2duo.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I know BR is free right now, but how do you actually earn event tickets in game besides winning a BR? Rare loot? It needs to be closer Hearthstone.

Pachimari

Wait BR is free? I thought you needed tickets, which is why I haven't tried out that event yet, as I want to get better at the game before using my ticket.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think what keeps H1Z1 a lot more interesting is that you can put together a bow as a makeshift weapon really quickly.

Just having the ability to clumsily defend yourself from ranged while scavenging for berries or trying to hunt for better items really keeps the game a lot more fun. Reminds me of early dayZ where you would spawn with a makaraov, once dayz made it so you couldn't really access a weapon quickly it really killed the enjoyment of the game.

Glad H1Z1 isn't the same.

Also being able to type /loc for your location is amazing!!

Wallach

Are you able to store things in a shack?

You can craft a storage container to put in a shack if you want to hold things, though they are pretty likely to get looted if another player comes across them.

You can also craft a hand shovel and just dig a hole to hide things in, which are harder to spot. You just have to make sure you can find it again when you need to get back to it.

psn

You can craft a storage container to put in a shack if you want to hold things, though they are pretty likely to get looted if another player comes across them.

You can also craft a hand shovel and just dig a hole to hide things in, which are harder to spot. You just have to make sure you can find it again when you need to get back to it.

Thank you, I will try to hide things with a shovel. Very dangerous to run around with your most valuable items these times..

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

But if you lock the shack they can't get into the container

Wallach

Right but that takes forever I think. Well now that I think about it. They could burn it down hmmm

It's not that hard at the moment. Especially if they have a wrench, they will wreck a shack in like 10-15 seconds. Wood buildings will need some iteration before they're that useful for protecting goods. Metal stuff is sturdier but the gates for them don't work right now. For now I think structures are more useful for building visual landmarks and simple locations to set up stuff like dew collectors, animal traps, barbecues, etc that other players might come by and use, but not really so much for protecting valuables.

psn

Lost my progress after playing on a different server. Lost two sniper rifles, two m1911, 80x ammo, miltary backpack and tons of stuff. Why? Am I not allowed to play on a different server and then come back?

Man, if you go into this game expecting to play it like DayZ, you're gonna fucking die, and fast. Likely of starvation/dehydration.

Crafting feels like it is the crux of the game. Trapping, dew collectors, fires, etc. All incredibly important to survival.

I do hope they figure out how to fix the PvE ghosttown issues. I had better luck searching every house for clothing/cloth, because I didn't find a single living zombie in the No Hope server.

I think it's about time I moved to PvP anyways. Got a good feel for the game.

Man, if you go into this game expecting to play it like DayZ, you're gonna fucking die, and fast. Likely of starvation/dehydration.

Crafting feels like it is the crux of the game. Trapping, dew collectors, fires, etc. All incredibly important to survival.

I do hope they figure out how to fix the PvE ghosttown issues. I had better luck searching every house for clothing/cloth, because I didn't find a single living zombie in the No Hope server.

I found like 3 pieces of food and maybe 1 or 2 purified water. Almost died from the lack of energy...

I found like 3 pieces of food and maybe 1 or 2 purified water. Almost died from the lack of energy...

I ran across someone's camp (it was empty) and they had a number of animal traps. 10 meat (actually, 5 meat, but it auto-refilled with 5 more when I looted it the first time) from a few of the traps. Make some animal traps!

I found a bunch of water bottles (3-4) by checking houses and diners (diner tables tend to have water bottles). You can also occasionally find good stuff in gas stations, in the back room that is kinda barricaded up with filing cabinets. Found a car battery and some canned food in one!

Once you have a water bottle, you pretty much always have a water source (you can refill in any of the many lakes/rivers available). Stagnant water gives you like 20 hydration, while dirty water gives you about 9-10. Each take away a little of your health, so you do have to balance it with how desperate you are.

They definitely need to tone down the dehydration and energy loss rates, just a bit more.

Tobor

When did you play? I had the opposite experience on No Hope last night. Zombies were spawning so fast at a campsite and in Pleasant Valley I had to hurry and loot before they were on top of me again.

I also saw an area near the dam with 30 zombies near a few cabins. I passed by and let them be.

SDCowboy

Is it just me or is it almost never day time? It feels like it will be day for like 5-10 minutes then it's dark for the next hour. lol

When did you play? I had the opposite experience on No Hope last night. Zombies were spawning so fast at a campsite and in Pleasant Valley I had to hurry and loot before they were on top of me again.

I also saw an area near the dam with 30 zombies near a few cabins. I passed by and let them be.

Sheeeit, hm. Maybe they're having pathfinding/horde issues and all the zombies moved somewhere else.

It was yesterday around noon (central time) I was mostly spending time at Cranberry, then cut east to the housing development, then started heading north. Didn't encounter a single zombie, but LOTS of players. Someone called in an airdrop a couple hundred meters north of Cranberry and about 8-9 players were waiting for it by the time it reached the ground.

Also, I had no idea that a few "lakes" are actually like knee deep. I was stalking a deer and suddenly thought there was a bug that let wildlife walk on water :-|

Is it just me or is it almost never day time? It feels like it will be day for like 5-10 minutes then it's dark for the next hour. lol

For sure. I like how they implemented night (DayZ was always too extreme), but between the really foggy/moody days and the dark nights, yeah, daytime is way too rare, IMO.

Wallach

Also don't forget to grab up every Blackberry you come across at the outset. They are useful forever thanks to Blackberry Juice.

One other thing I'd focus on learning while you're new is how to navigate. Don't expect /loc to stay in the game - it'll definitely get removed, but who knows when. Start learning the map layout via the town maps and landmarks, and learn how to use them to figure out your orientation. Also remember that the sun/moon track properly (the shadows also appear to cast correctly based on their position) so they can be very easy ways to figure out what direction you're going or want to go. Once /loc gets pulled you don't want to be getting lost again.

SDCowboy

I also play on No Hope and have experienced both. There seems to be either no zombies anywhere, or way too many. More often than not, though, there seems to be no zombies to be found.

Tobor

The quest loot cache I found had a compass, which makes navigation easy. I think there's a way to craft a makeshift compass.

SDCowboy

For sure. I like how they implemented night (DayZ was always too extreme), but between the really foggy/moody days and the dark nights, yeah, daytime is way too rare, IMO.

Well I guess I like how night is still somewhat playable in this. I still don't like how it's almost always night though. If the cycle is going to be this lopsided though, I hope they make the flashlight a LOT better.

Tobor

Well I guess I like how night is still somewhat playable in this. I still don't like how it's almost always night though. If the cycle is going to be this lopsided though, I hope they make the flashlight a LOT better.

There are night vision goggles in the game but they don't work yet. That should be awesome.

Oh, for sure. DayZ had basically pitch black nights, which was cool on paper but really didn't translate to a great gameplay experience. Using your flashlight was basically a signal for someone to kill you, so everyone just bumped up their brightness/gamma. I like how H1Z1 is still playable.

List of (all?) recipes in the game: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/wiki/recipes

Klyka

Banned
Lost my progress after playing on a different server. Lost two sniper rifles, two m1911, 80x ammo, miltary backpack and tons of stuff. Why? Am I not allowed to play on a different server and then come back?

Every server has it's own character. They are not shared, it's like MMO characters. They can't even have the same name. So unless you deleted your character, you didn't lose anything.

SDCowboy

There are night vision goggles in the game but they don't work yet. That should be awesome.

I'll tell you one thing, I pray to the zombie game gods that they don't implement any kind of battery life. That would completely kill the game for me. There's a limit to how much "realism" I still find fun.

SDCowboy

Oh, for sure. DayZ had basically pitch black nights, which was cool on paper but really didn't translate to a great gameplay experience. Using your flashlight was basically a signal for someone to kill you, so everyone just bumped up their brightness/gamma. I like how H1Z1 is still playable.

List of (all?) recipes in the game: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/wiki/recipes

Yeah night in DayZ was stupid and essentially unplayable. I remember night just meant it was time to server hop. lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Also, I had no idea that a few "lakes" are actually like knee deep. I was stalking a deer and suddenly thought there was a bug that let wildlife walk on water :-|

Last I heard they weren't sure if they wanted to add swimming. They may also add fishing as well.

H1Z1 goes through all of the seasons, I heard right now that the current season is Autumn. I believe devs have stated that each season lasts around 12 real days.

Jams775

I want fishing. That would be great.

I heard it was coming soon. I might sound like a broken record but I really can't believe they'd implement something like a dew collector and animal traps but not flintknapping. It's pretty easy to make a rock razor sharp and at least use it for skinning or wedging it in a stick for a spear, axe, etc. Oh but sure! You can make a working bow out of a string of cloth and a stick.

I think what keeps H1Z1 a lot more interesting is that you can put together a bow as a makeshift weapon really quickly.

Just having the ability to clumsily defend yourself from ranged while scavenging for berries or trying to hunt for better items really keeps the game a lot more fun. Reminds me of early dayZ where you would spawn with a makaraov, once dayz made it so you couldn't really access a weapon quickly it really killed the enjoyment of the game.

Glad H1Z1 isn't the same.

Also being able to type /loc for your location is amazing!!

Is there a way to keep /loc on the screen and constantly updating? Having to enter it in every single time is annoying.

I ran across someone's camp (it was empty) and they had a number of animal traps. 10 meat (actually, 5 meat, but it auto-refilled with 5 more when I looted it the first time) from a few of the traps. Make some animal traps!

I found a bunch of water bottles (3-4) by checking houses and diners (diner tables tend to have water bottles). You can also occasionally find good stuff in gas stations, in the back room that is kinda barricaded up with filing cabinets. Found a car battery and some canned food in one!

Once you have a water bottle, you pretty much always have a water source (you can refill in any of the many lakes/rivers available). Stagnant water gives you like 20 hydration, while dirty water gives you about 9-10. Each take away a little of your health, so you do have to balance it with how desperate you are.

They definitely need to tone down the dehydration and energy loss rates, just a bit more.

For some reason... I found a fucking Police Car Turbo Charger... lol...

Top Bottom