• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

PaNaMa

Banned
My experience so far:

Can only play on PVP server cause no other options without infinity queue.

Game 1)

Spawned, run a couple hundred meters to RV campground type place where there is another guy being harassed by zombies. I jump up on a truck, on the roof of it. Zombies gravitate toward me and sort of leave him alone. They are able to bite me tho, in spite of not being able to reach me. So I get down and start taking damage. From the other player. Who is just punching away at me, gearless as I am, for no reason.

So I start to run away and he chases me for a long time and eventually peels off. I find a small house or cabin not far fro a bridge. Another player running around there. I warn him there are zombies near (cause I see them around other side of the house). He stops what he's doing to come over and start punching me. I flee, almost dead from the last guy... this guy had more health or stamina I guess at that point cause I could not out run him. He kills me rom behind. I don't throw a single punch. I had nothing. But go him, I suppose.

Game 2: Spawn and run a few hundred meters, find like a little gas station or something. Walk inside, dude hiding behind a door. I see him, and stop. I press talk button - WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM beat to death with a stick. Awesome. I didn't throw a punch. Had nothing.

Game 3: I find what looks like a mini base, has a stone wall around it, tho only a couple feet high. Has a little cabin and a well. It's out in the middle of no where tho.. Rummage around, find nothing. I start jogging towards a road. Some teenage sounding guy starts talking on proximity chat that he's coming to get me. Over and over singing I'm going to get youuuu".

So I start running up the road, he is in persuit. Tell him I'm a fresh spawn, with nothing. He doesn't care. Another guy comes running *at* me from the other direction. Guy on mic says it's his friend, now they are both in persuit singing how they are gonna "get me". 5 minutes of running away I have nothing, they haven't peeled off. All that matters is me.

We encounter a 4th guy -- who has a bow -- so I say to him (as I sprint) "RUN these two guys are trying to kill me". So he follows along instead, and eventually kills me with an arrow. Which must have been a heck of a shot cause I never stopped running. The two guys on proximity mics are laughin their ass off cause they don't know the guy with the bow, and they love how how is the one who finally brought me down.

So yeah, just a horrible experience all around. No interest in going back to it any time soon.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
My experience so far:

Can only play on PVP server cause no other options without infinity queue.

Game 1)

Spawned, run a couple hundred meters to RV campground type place where there is another guy being harassed by zombies. I jump up on a truck, on the roof of it. Zombies gravitate toward me and sort of leave him alone. They are able to bite me tho, in spite of not being able to reach me. So I get down and start taking damage. From the other player. Who is just punching away at me, gearless as I am, for no reason.

So I start to run away and he chases me for a long time and eventually peels off. I find a small house or cabin not far fro a bridge. Another player running around there. I warn him there are zombies near (cause I see them around other side of the house). He stops what he's doing to come over and start punching me. I flee, almost dead from the last guy... this guy had more health or stamina I guess at that point cause I could not out run him. He kills me rom behind. I don't throw a single punch. I had nothing. But go him, I suppose.

Game 2: Spawn and run a few hundred meters, find like a little gas station or something. Walk inside, dude hiding behind a door. I see him, and stop. I press talk button - WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM beat to death with a stick. Awesome. I didn't throw a punch. Had nothing.

Game 3: I find what looks like a mini base, has a stone wall around it, tho only a couple feet high. Has a little cabin and a well. It's out in the middle of no where tho.. Rummage around, find nothing. I start jogging towards a road. Some teenage sounding guy starts talking on proximity chat that he's coming to get me. Over and over singing I'm going to get youuuu".

So I start running up the road, he is in persuit. Tell him I'm a fresh spawn, with nothing. He doesn't care. Another guy comes running *at* me from the other direction. Guy on mic says it's his friend, now they are both in persuit singing how they are gonna "get me". 5 minutes of running away I have nothing, they haven't peeled off. All that matters is me.

We encounter a 4th guy -- who has a bow -- so I say to him (as I sprint) "RUN these two guys are trying to kill me". So he follows along instead, and eventually kills me with an arrow. Which must have been a heck of a shot cause I never stopped running. The two guys on proximity mics are laughin their ass off cause they don't know the guy with the bow, and they love how how is the one who finally brought me down.

So yeah, just a horrible experience all around. No interest in going back to it any time soon.

lol you should play on PVE

when playing PVP you really need to watch out with others, I give people a clear warning DO NOT COME CLOSE TO ME

when playing PVP you really need to watch out with others, I give people a clear warning DO NOT COME CLOSE TO ME

Sheeeeit, in DayZ, if I ever saw anyone, I would just fucking hide or completely try to avoid them. Especially if they were more geared than myself.

Most encounters in DayZ where I actually interacted with someone were by mistake (running into someone and having a standoff while we determined whether or not to trust each other) or with a less-geared player who pleaded for their lives (I always let them go).

People are more dangerous than zombies in PvP. Zombies are a known entity, people are wild cards.

SDCowboy

I find myself stuck in the same rut in this as in all survival games. I found a nice area with two neighborhoods and a business district, and now I can't bring myself to venture out anywhere else. lol

akileese

I find myself stuck in the same rut in this as in all survival games. I found a nice area with two neighborhoods and a business district, and now I can't bring myself to venture out anywhere else. lol

Why bother lol. Just keep gathering supplies, build up a camp on the outskirts. I grouped with some guys who had a really nice camp on the lake just outside of pleasant valley.

PaNaMa

Banned

Labelling the servers "PVP" i think suggests to the teenies that the only object is to kill as many other player characters as you can. On site. Kill everyone, ignore game.
It's not player versus zombie. It's not player vs environment. It's player vs player, all out, all the time. Nothing else. Like that's the GOAL, not an just an option or potential game risk.

SDCowboy

Why bother lol. Just keep gathering supplies, build up a camp on the outskirts. I grouped with some guys who had a really nice camp on the lake just outside of pleasant valley.

I actually haven't started building anything yet. Do you respawn back in your building if you die?

akileese

I actually haven't started building anything yet. Do you respawn back in your building if you die?

I don't know. I've yet to die. I went venturing into pleasant valley but started getting bad lag and logged out. Come to think of it...I'm still inside the town. It'll probably be really bad times when I log back in haha

I'm curious how PvE servers will end up playing, considering you can completely destroy someone's camp without fear or retaliation in any way (unless you track them back to their base, maybe).

SDCowboy

I don't know. I've yet to die. I went venturing into pleasant valley but started getting bad lag and logged out. Come to think of it...I'm still inside the town. It'll probably be really bad times when I log back in haha

Because I mean, I don't want to spend a bunch of time making a place just to never find it again or have to spend hours getting back. lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Sheeeeit, in DayZ, if I ever saw anyone, I would just fucking hide or completely try to avoid them. Especially if they were more geared than myself.

Most encounters in DayZ where I actually interacted with someone were by mistake (running into someone and having a standoff while we determined whether or not to trust each other) or with a less-geared player who pleaded for their lives (I always let them go).

People are more dangerous than zombies in PvP. Zombies are a known entity, people are wild cards.

and thats what I love about it.
The wildcard aspect, kinda gives you a glimpse on how people are.

Jams775

I honestly don't understand why canned food doesn't just give you scrap metal after eating it.

No kidding. When I scavenge houses I see all the cans and think of a bunch of different ways I could use them and see those beds in the houses and go, "why can't I use those sheets for cloth?" There is a ton of stuff they're going to need to add after they get some of this initial stuff fixed.

so i found a huge player base encampment - this player has a HUGE piece of land surrounded by barbwire, with a bunch of loot boxes - i happen to sneak in and stole all his food then i log out hoping that the next time i log in he has weapons in all of his stashes lol

0199e74d4faa6afc4a9c116cf467f053.png

this isn't even all of it i think he literally built everything you could build for fort stuff

Its funny, now that i have a shotgun with 43 bullets everyone is friendly all of a sudden.
No more KoS or threathning, its al he im friendly and just pass.
Did a quest from a zombie, got a shotgun a militairy backpack some shotgun bullets and nightvision goggles.
Have another quest now, going to follow that up.

Its funny, now that i have a shotgun with 43 bullets everyone is friendly all of a sudden.
Did a quest from a zombie, got a shotgun a militairy backpack some shotgun bullets and nightvision goggles.

What you need to do is run around without the shotgun out and when someone wants to mess with you teach them a lesson.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

What you need to do is run around without the shotgun out and when someone wants to mess with you teach them a lesson.

this right here

Tobor

Don't let the solo guys fool you. A pack of 3 guys with bows will swarm on you like hyenas. I killed one with the shotgun, while the second ran around me in circles. I couldn't get a clear shot. Hyena 3 then picked me off.

fozzy

Just bought this. Never played anything like this before at all.

Watched a few videos on Youtube and thought it looked fun.

Wish me luck!

Don't let the solo guys fool you. A pack of 3 guys with bows will swarm on you like hyenas. I killed one with the shotgun, while the second ran around me in circles. I couldn't get a clear shot. Hyena 3 then picked me off.

Oh i am still being careful, avoiding every human possible.
This is a game where you don't trust no one.

so i found a huge player base encampment - this player has a HUGE piece of land surrounded by barbwire, with a bunch of loot boxes - i happen to sneak in and stole all his food then i log out hoping that the next time i log in he has weapons in all of his stashes lol

0199e74d4faa6afc4a9c116cf467f053.png

this isn't even all of it i think he literally built everything you could build for fort stuff

that kinda looks like that one streams base.

hopefully this thread stays alive into the eventual PS4 launch, full of stuff to take note of.

you guys might consider writing a GAF survival handbook.

VoxteX

honestly, despite the hacker stuff.

That's the nature of the game, you should probably try pve?

The lost time doesn't bother me at all. It's early access and I expect bugs.

My first character is bugged out and crashes on login and my second got killed by hacker. I'm opting to wait a bit because if I go in again it will probably just happen again. I have yet to die legitimately in the game.

fozzy

Probably a stupid question, but I tried joining a random server and chose my name and nothing happened.

Now when I choose my name again on another server it says unavailable. Is my name tied to that one server I tried to join?

Got another worn letter, but the cache is not working.
I put in the key, bot no loot...:(
Maybe some cache's are working and some not just a heads up.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
The micro transactions have in no way altered my experience. You rarely run into people who have guns and are fully loaded. I almost forgot they existed.

You wouldn't regret buying it. I have 18 hours from the past 3 days alone.

I think I'm going to get it. I love the genre so it's probably inevitable. I'm sort of hoping that with an actual company behind it this game will develop on a somewhat smoother path than... other games.

I think I'm going to get it. I love the genre so it's probably inevitable. I'm sort of hoping that with an actual company behind it this game will develop on a somewhat smoother path than... other games.

Same reason I got into it. The size of SOE and their existing technology is what gives me hope this game won't hit the snags in development others have. This is an awesome genre and I hope to see one if not all of the games in it reach their potential.

Got another worn letter, but the cache is not working.
I put in the key, bot no loot...:(
Maybe some cache's are working and some not just a heads up.

Is it the one on top of the mountain? We had two keys for that place and neither wanted to work.

Edit: Nvm read on. Yeah we had the same problem.

Top Bottom