• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So I had kind of an interesting experience yesterday when I met up with this guy on one of the pvp servers (endtimes i think).

Anyways, he was friendly and because of the proximity chat we were able to work together and loot a few buildings for food and crafting supplies. This guy liked to talk a lot so he eventually started telling me about his "life before the Apocalypse" as he called it.

After we looted some cabins we decided to stop and cook the deer meat we found. The guy had just launched into a story about something that had happened at work when out of nowhere there was a shot from our right. The bullet hit him in the head freaking mid sentence and cut his audio immediately. Once my brain registered what had happened, and why his body was crumpled over the fire, I bolted deeper into the trees as bullets destined for my own noggin wizzed by.

Only a good 2 minutes later did I stop running in order to fill my water bottles and reflect. Never, in a video game, have I witness what was eerily reminiscent of an actual death. I mean, there was a guy there talking and joking one second and then he was just gone.

Usually, in games, you can still communicate with someone after they die, but due to this games proximity voice chat (and the fact that they respawn randomly somewhere else) you really get the feeling that something has actually been lost. Its not a strong feeling as your brain realizes it is just a game, but it does trigger some small uneasiness inside you that the game just put you through something that would be feasible in some real life apocalyptic situation.

Unfortunately, this experience is one that will die out as people begin to group up and use team speak. I would say to players now, to enjoy the randomness of current encounters and try to make friends where you can.

This seems to have aheavy focus on basebuilding, so is there any hope for a lone wolf type player?

I am still on the fence about buying this and prefer playing survival games alone if I can.

FordGTGuy

Banned
This seems to have aheavy focus on basebuilding, so is there any hope for a lone wolf type player?

I am still on the fence about buying this and prefer playing survival games alone if I can.

I would say to jump in and try it out, there are a lot of different servers that allow a lot of different play styles.

Base building is good but not perfect and the biggest problem right now is scrap metal loot.

NZOO

Banned
3 hours, game opens and closes immediately without any error report.

Seriously they at least test it on 30 computers prior to Early Access.

darkwing

Friends and I found a loot letter tonight, got the chest, went and found a house right by it, oh, hey, someone built a shed behind it and put traps around. Tried shooting the door, nada. "well, try your axe before we bail"...BOOM. 30 seconds of axing this guy's metal shelter? door down, inside a storage crate with SHITLOADS of guns and ammo and backpacks and everything. We started laughing about our luck as we robbed some poor sap blind, and joking about how pissed he would be when he found out...

...then all of a sudden "HEY! WHAT DO YOU ASSHOLES THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" The guy totally walked in on us stealing all of his shit. Managed to chase him off his own property with his own shotgun as he cursed us and said "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A WHOLE ARMY COMIN FOR YOU" over and over.

Feels good to be bad man.

lol this is hilarious

v1lla21

Making friends is a must imo.not only do you do things faster, but then you start carrying more and have a larger inventory. People don't tend to fuck around with you either if you are in a group of 3 or more, unless they have guns. Lol.

I try and make friends with everyone I come across. I don't really like killing people just because I saw them and want to check what kind of gear they had.

Jams775

Have you looked into The Forest yet? It's early access on steam and it's mainly single player with added Multiplayer. That might be more up your alley?

Edit: Unless you like to lone wolf in multiplayer games I guess. Then H1Z1 should work for you.

Have you looked into The Forest yet? It's early access on steam and it's mainly single player with added Multiplayer. That might be more up your alley?

Edit: Unless you like to lone wolf in multiplayer games I guess. Then H1Z1 should work for you.

Aye I was tempted to try that too, I played mostly solo in DayZ and enjoyed it, I enjoy the struggle of being solo in a world of other players and zombies the main problem with added basebuilding and this game is that I end up on a server full of groups with bases vs me walking around as a target haha.

Sounds like it's worth trying though.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Early Access = Alpha. This is the testing phase...

Brudinho

Banned
Unfortunately, this experience is one that will die out as people begin to group up and use team speak. I would say to players now, to enjoy the randomness of current encounters and try to make friends where you can.

Nah , it´s pretty much the same as in DayZ there are people that are using TS to team up but a big part of players is still out there alone so these moment won´t die

FordGTGuy

Banned
Can't you use a crowbar to get scrap metal off of cars?

If you can find a crowbar and if you can keep it repaired enough by finding rare weapon repair kits... sure.

A crowbar is probably good for around 10 scrap metal before it breaks.

That is about enough to build one good thing or barricade a house.

I've played 23 hours and have found a crowbar twice.

JesseZao

If you can find a crowbar and if you can keep it repaired enough by finding rare weapon repair kits... sure.

A crowbar is probably good for around 10 scrap metal before it breaks.

That is about enough to build one good thing or barricade a house.

I've played 23 hours and have found a crowbar twice.

Metal Scraps are the bottleneck of crafting for sure.

FordGTGuy

Banned

I think this just happened to me too.

D:

I logged out in Pleasant Valley and the game now crashes when I try to load my character.

NZOO

Banned
Early Access = Alpha. This is the testing phase...

I understand this, but my game hasn't booted up AT ALL. Wtf is is the point of early access when you can't access the game. Trust me I tried so many solutions, it has to be on their end.

Shaky

Was playing a little earlier and ran into this guy

qEqxQXk.jpg

gQZEuKb.jpg

2Ff1tkL.jpg

He ended up killing me because when I got closer I got stuck inside his body and he just punched me to death.

Iadien

I understand this, but my game hasn't booted up AT ALL. Wtf is is the point of early access when you can't access the game. Trust me I tried so many solutions, it has to be on their end.

What are your specs?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

delete and reinstall, may just be local to your machine.

I and many others have been able to get into a game just fine.

Think i had a hacker on the Solace server.
Was walking in nobodys land with no one around me and believe me i checked.
Al of a sudden a guy is standing behind me and beats me to death???
It was impossible because it was open land and he could not have hidden somewhere, was pretty pissed about it.

I dont trust people in this game.
Walked by a house and a guy walks out, asking me do you got any food.
I say im friendly, and i drop some food for him.
He says its to heavy, so i tell him just open inventory and eat it from proximity.
He say thanks and i walk of.
All of a sudden i see an arrow flying by me, i turn around an walk back.
I asked why are you shooting at me i helped you.
His creepy respons, it wasnt me it was some other guy in the house.
He said, come with me in the house and kill him together....
I was like nah, and ran like hell.
This was some cabin in the woods shit right there.

darkwing

It was impossible because it was open land and he could not have hidden somewhere, was pretty pissed about it.

I dont trust people in this game.
Walked by a house and a guy walks out, asking me do you got any food.
I say im friendly, and i drop some food for him.
He says its to heavy, so i tell him just open inventory and eat it from proximity.
He say thanks and i walk of.
All of a sudden i see an arrow flying by me, i turn around an walk back.
I asked why are you shooting at me i helped you.
His creepy respons, it wasnt me it was some other guy in the house.
He said, come with me in the house and kill him together....
I was like nah, and ran like hell.
This was some cabin in the woods shit right there.

welp, it was a trap

NZOO

Banned
delete and reinstall, may just be local to your machine.

I and many others have been able to get into a game just fine.

Deleted the game 4 times and removed all files. I'm at a point where I would just want to download the game from another source and put it in my folder.

There are some servers that are first-person only. Might jump back out to the server selection and check the ruleset icons where you're playing.

BTW Smedley just tweeted this:

Patch is coming sometime later today.

The No Hope server (PVE) is PVE only for the icon, not keeping people to third person. The button says Mouse Button 4 and doesn't work...

Wallach

The No Hope server (PVE) is PVE only for the icon, not keeping people to third person. The button says Mouse Button 4 and doesn't work...

Oh, that camera change hotkey isn't for on-foot. I don't actually know what that's for, probably vehicles (maybe not working atm).

The key for swapping personal cam between first-person and third-person is T.

EGOMON

Aye I was tempted to try that too, I played mostly solo in DayZ and enjoyed it, I enjoy the struggle of being solo in a world of other players and zombies the main problem with added basebuilding and this game is that I end up on a server full of groups with bases vs me walking around as a target haha.

Sounds like it's worth trying though.
I feel we can be friends in lonewolfing :)
I pretty much a lonewolf in every game and i enjoy it currently rocking Evolve Beta with randoms :D

Iadien

CPU: Amd 2 x4 940 black
PSU: 750w Rosewill
GPU: Evga GTX 560, 2GB
Mobo: Asus m478 pro
Ram: OCZ 8gb ram

Strange that the game won't even boot up at all.

I have to ask, are you using 64 bit windows?

Definitely a cheater. SOE is on top of it though, they monitor the situation, and then do a mass banning. Which is what they did in PS2.

VoxteX

It's a hacker. He killed me too. I'm going to take a break from playing until they fix loot a bit. It's upsetting losing 3-4 hours of progress when loot is so scarce.

First character lost to a bug in Pleasant Valley.
Second character lost to a hacker.

:(

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
It's a hacker. He killed me too. I'm going to take a break from playing until they fix loot a bit. It's upsetting losing 3-4 hours of progress when loot is so scarce.

honestly, despite the hacker stuff.

That's the nature of the game, you should probably try pve?

Somnia

Same thing happened to me on Damnation. I was just running along and then a guy was literally on top of me punching, I started sprinting away but he was glued to me and sometimes warped in front of me.

He started talking shit after when I accused him of hacking, but it was very obvious.

NZOO

Banned
Strange that the game won't even boot up at all.

I have to ask, are you using 64 bit windows?

Definitely a cheater. SOE is on top of it though, they monitor the situation, and then do a mass banning. Which is what they did in PS2.

64bit others too have the same problem. It's crazy a game can't boot up.

psn

Every server has it's own character. They are not shared, it's like MMO characters. They can't even have the same name. So unless you deleted your character, you didn't lose anything.

Thanks for your reply. I know that though, and I logged in at the same server, chose my character and joined. Everything was gone :/

Hellers

If they did that there would be no incentive to move up the chain and start cooking and purifying.

They could make your energy and hydration drop slower for a while after eating or drinking crafted stuff and the regular speed after berries.

Hellers

Adam Clegg one of the designers just tweeted this

Overheard in the office "Well that would explain why loot wasn't spawning in containers" - @Kalyper Sounds like we found the fix.

Iadien

64bit others too have the same problem. It's crazy a game can't boot up.

I can only think of a few things to try

1) changing the exe's to admin
2) move the install folder out of the default steam folder
3) using different nvidia drivers (I'm using 344.75, and I haven't experienced a single crash, I have a 670 gtx though)

Phreaker

Adam Clegg one of the designers just tweeted this

Overheard in the office "Well that would explain why loot wasn't spawning in containers" - @Kalyper Sounds like we found the fix.

Great, because I am going to get this tonight after watching some pretty fun/funny stuff on streams yesterday.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I really need help with this scrap metal problem, I can't do anything right now and I can't find scrap metal, not for hours on end now.

Jams775

I really need help with this scrap metal problem, I can't do anything right now and I can't find scrap metal, not for hours on end now.

Just take a break and keep an eye on smed's twitter account. He said a fix is incoming some time today.

That's what I'll be doing.

Top Bottom